We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power problems

Power problems

I'm writing for some advice on what jewelry to make for the captain I run with to help him with power. He's a pretty skilled player and I believe he runs his skills efficiently, but the other day we were 3-manning the Tomb of Elendil and he kept running out of power on the big pulls and at the end. A couple of timely CJs kept him in the game but he sometimes went for minutes at a time completely drained of power or just getting by.

I'm a GM jeweler and he's asked me to make some stuff for him with +will and +fate to help with power management.

Any ideas from other captains out there of how he might gear with jewelry to help? Any other ideas that I might be able to throw out there to help him in this area?

We generally run in a 3 man group with him, a minnie, and myself. He's currently level 46 or 47. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Power problems

If I had to guess, he is spamming Inspire every time it is up and that will suck your power clean dry every time.

Also, look at your group make up: Guardian, Minstrel, Captain. This has to be about the lowest available DPS in the entire game. When fights go on forever, just about anyone will have power problems.

Given the scenario you describe, I really don't think it is a gear issue (unless the cappy's gear really blows). 3 manning Tomb of Elendil without a DPS class is more likely the problem.

Thanks for the response. I feel compelled to add that we did complete the instance. It was a tough fight and got touchy a few times, but we were able to finish it out. We wiped one time when those 5 kergrim (including 3 elite masters with 12k morale) attacked but we didn't die at all during the Turtle boss.

I'll ask him about inspire and see what's going on there. You say that any group without a dedicated DPSer would have power problems 3-manning the Tomb of Elendil, but I can say that I didn't have power problems at all. And I don't mean to sound arrogant in saying that. I'm still a pretty new player and make frequent mistakes. I think I dropped below 100 once or twice but thrill of danger took care of that real quick since I was generally surrounded by 8-10 mobs at any point in time during our run.

I was spamming my AOE threat skills as much as possible and catching as many reactives as I could, so I don't think it was a matter of not using my skills properly or often enough.
    Last edited by rmj0411; Apr 26 2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarify

LOL! No fair comparing guards to captains for power issues! As a guy with a 65 guard and a 60 captain, guardians will NEVER see the power issues a captain will, but in all fairness, no class can stave off power issues like a guardian can. I mean, my guard's will is frigging like 150 and I have been main tank in BG.

So, when I said "When fights go on forever, just about anyone will have power problems.", I might have been better served saying "anyone but guardian", lol.

I think the Sage's Greenwood bracelets now include ~50 icpr each, while being quite nice in stats otherwise. I roll two of them.

I use this site; http://www.northshield.co.uk/LOTRO/Index.htm

At level 50 he will want etched beryl bracelets - they will help a lot if he doesn't have some icpr on his wrists already. Until then you will have to make due with any ICPR bracelets he can find (there are a number of quest ones out there).

Quote Originally Posted by rmj0411 View Post
    I'm writing for some advice on what jewelry to make for the captain I run with to help him with power. He's a pretty skilled player and I believe he runs his skills efficiently, but the other day we were 3-manning the Tomb of Elendil and he kept running out of power on the big pulls and at the end. A couple of timely CJs kept him in the game but he sometimes went for minutes at a time completely drained of power or just getting by.

I'm a GM jeweler and he's asked me to make some stuff for him with +will and +fate to help with power management.

Any ideas from other captains out there of how he might gear with jewelry to help? Any other ideas that I might be able to throw out there to help him in this area?

We generally run in a 3 man group with him, a minnie, and myself. He's currently level 46 or 47. Thanks for any advice.
    You guys are a bit short on DPS. But you play with what you have. Do you go to overpower when things are easy? I'm very impressed that you 3 manned Tomb of Elendil with 3 characters of less than level 50, that can't be very easy to do. I've only done it once, and with 6 of us around that level it wasn't trivial.

Does he have Now for Wrath slotted? Will help at least some. Does he wait for auto attacks between skill uses to pace himself? I *assume* he has a 2 handed weapon rather than sword+board to slow things down? Not use Blade of Elendil when low on power and when it is already up? Not use inspire often when it is not needed? Eat as high level food as possible before the big battle? Have as high level as possible power pots and use them whenever they are up if he is having power issues? Consider using standard of Victory, perhaps traited, if you guys can make it without hope?

As to the jewelry, don't remember what is good at that level. But if he isn't managing his power in a long fight another say 150 power and 100 ICPR from jewelry probably won't be enough...
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Apr 27 2010 at 09:45 AM.

Any crit power regen food you can have on hand will help in a long fight. Also, grab some of the new fate food, too.

I'd get some bracelets with ICPR asap. Captains have been power hogs since SoA. Also, Inspire needs to be managed carefully, too. Spamming it will leave your captain power dry. Good Luck!

How much power does your friend's captain have?
    How much ICPR?
    Does he have Now For Wrath and is it slotted?

What is his rotation and what kind of weapon is he using?

It is hard to say what the issue is without knowing what his current gear and stats are.

Guys, for real, they were three manning Tomb of Elendil with a GUARD, CAPTAIN, AND MINNY. The pulls must have taken 10 minutes at a time to down. Sure, they can live forever, but their DPS is so low they were in combat FOREVER.

LOTRO doesn't have items powerful enough for this captain to equip and NOT run out of power in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaHawk View Post
    Guys, for real, they were three manning Tomb of Elendil with a GUARD, CAPTAIN, AND MINNY. The pulls must have taken 10 minutes at a time to down. Sure, they can live forever, but their DPS is so low they were in combat FOREVER.

LOTRO doesn't have items powerful enough for this captain to equip and NOT run out of power in this situation.
    Well, if you don't spend power faster than your ICPR(items/food/banner) + replenishment from now for wrath/potions/whatever, you can fight forever. Just a question of allowing auto attacks and skill choices. Yes, long and tedious with those 3 chars. Wouldn't enjoy that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    You guys are a bit short on DPS. But you play with what you have. Do you go to overpower when things are easy? I'm very impressed that you 3 manned Tomb of Elendil with 3 characters of less than level 50, that can't be very easy to do. I've only done it once, and with 6 of us around that level it wasn't trivial.

Does he have Now for Wrath slotted? Will help at least some. Does he wait for auto attacks between skill uses to pace himself? I *assume* he has a 2 handed weapon rather than sword+board to slow things down? Not use Blade of Elendil when low on power and when it is already up? Not use inspire often when it is not needed? Eat as high level food as possible before the big battle? Have as high level as possible power pots and use them whenever they are up if he is having power issues? Consider using standard of Victory, perhaps traited, if you guys can make it without hope?

As to the jewelry, don't remember what is good at that level. But if he isn't managing his power in a long fight another say 150 power and 100 ICPR from jewelry probably won't be enough...
    Thanks for replying. We were surprised to make it through too! We had to kite the kergrim elite masters to get it done. Had two of the five not gone into anti-exploit mode and reset, we probably would have had more trouble. In some circles, this might be called cheating, but for a 3 man we had to use whatever tricks we could manage. Challenge the darkness bought us some time more than once. There were a couple pulls with those tomb robber guides that like to call all their friends where we got bumrushed by 12-15 mobs at a time. Between the captain and minny, the healing was fantastic.

As far as the details of his build, I'm not sure. We talked last night and I directed him to check out this thread. I'm not sure if he posts in the forums or not, but he said he would take a look.

We decided last night on some of the critted polished beryl stuff when he hits level 48. At 50, I'll probably follow the advice above and make him the etched beryl guild recipes.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

I don't know if "kiting" is really the proper term, but we basically pulled them, captain popped make haste, and we ran to the beginning of the instance. By the time we got to the front of the Tomb, there were only 3 left, the others had gone into anti-exploit mode and reset.

Which brings me to my next question...is this a viable strategy? Or is this looked upon rather unfavorably? I'm seriously curious.

Thanks again.

I'm with IowaHawk on this one...using this instance's end battle with three of the (generally) lowest dps classes in the game as a measure of his power issues probably isn't reasonable. It's just going to drain everyone, and captains have some of the highest power costs of all the classes.

Without a LRM, I would not have expected to see anything different.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Well, if you don't spend power faster than your ICPR(items/food/banner) + replenishment from now for wrath/potions/whatever, you can fight forever. Just a question of allowing auto attacks and skill choices. Yes, long and tedious with those 3 chars. Wouldn't enjoy that myself.
    Don't get me wrong, an incredibly well equipped, well-traited captain could go "a long time". Heck, lets give the benefit of the doubt to all three of these guys. lets say these are the best level 47ish Captain, Guardian, and Minstrel on any server.

These top of the class toons are still 3-manning 6-man content that isn't all that low beneath their level. There are elite mobs aplenty in there, and I have seen bad pulls wipe groups staffed with 50s to get to 6 (Pre-MoM).

Even if these guys do EVERYTHING right, something is going to give. If a certain level of DPS isn't sustained and mobs start dropping, the minstrel will run out of heals, group wipes. If the Guardian tries to go all out on DPS threat issues will arise, heals will run out and group wipes. If the captain "paces" himself too much, dps will be too low, group wipes.

This trio did a very commendable job getting through. However, even under IDEAL circumstances, I cannot portray a scenario in that dungeon in my mind where the captain does NOT run into power problems. If anyone disputes this, please demonstrate what I am missing.

Also, I am going to be flat out honest with everyone here, I could take a level capped Captain, Guardian, and Minstrel into Tomb of Elendil TODAY and might expect the Captain to have power issues at SOME point.

I don't know if "kiting" is really the proper term, but we basically pulled them, captain popped make haste, and we ran to the beginning of the instance. By the time we got to the front of the Tomb, there were only 3 left, the others had gone into anti-exploit mode and reset.

Which brings me to my next question...is this a viable strategy? Or is this looked upon rather unfavorably? I'm seriously curious.

Thanks again.
    It's called anti-exploit, you do the math, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scottybene View Post
    I use this site; http://www.northshield.co.uk/LOTRO/Index.htm

At level 50 he will want etched beryl bracelets - they will help a lot if he doesn't have some icpr on his wrists already. Until then you will have to make due with any ICPR bracelets he can find (there are a number of quest ones out there).
    My bad, I meant the polished beryl bracelets which are available at lvl 48 - I think you found them already (they used to be teal...). The polished are actually better for icpr as they have some fate on them.

Around your level I believe there are some goblin town quest bracelets with 90 icpr as well (trinkets of thorns or something), and there is a really nice bracelet available in the moors (Angechor) as well as one from the book quests (vol 1 book 14 - Elechor) that have morale as well.
    Last edited by scottybene; Apr 27 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Don't get me wrong, an incredibly well equipped, well-traited captain could go "a long time". Heck, lets give the benefit of the doubt to all three of these guys. lets say these are the best level 47ish Captain, Guardian, and Minstrel on any server.

These top of the class toons are still 3-manning 6-man content that isn't all that low beneath their level. There are elite mobs aplenty in there, and I have seen bad pulls wipe groups staffed with 50s to get to 6 (Pre-MoM).

Even if these guys do EVERYTHING right, something is going to give. If a certain level of DPS isn't sustained and mobs start dropping, the minstrel will run out of heals, group wipes. If the Guardian tries to go all out on DPS threat issues will arise, heals will run out and group wipes. If the captain "paces" himself too much, dps will be too low, group wipes.

This trio did a very commendable job getting through. However, even under IDEAL circumstances, I cannot portray a scenario in that dungeon in my mind where the captain does NOT run into power problems. If anyone disputes this, please demonstrate what I am missing.

Also, I am going to be flat out honest with everyone here, I could take a level capped Captain, Guardian, and Minstrel into Tomb of Elendil TODAY and might expect the Captain to have power issues at SOME point.
    I don't argue with any of that. Was just saying (the I guess tautological statement) that if he didn't spend it faster than he could get it back he'd not run out. I generally don't run out with conservative use and 1000 ICPR.

Mind you, I agree that I don't understand how with conservative power use he could hold up his end of the workload in 3 man on-level Tomb of Elendil run. Heck, I don't know how they dealt with the waves of little turtle adds in the final battle, much less burned down the big turtle. The one (and only) time I did that quest, we had to work some to keep those adds off of the healer, and with 3 chars only? But more power to them...

Thanks again.
    There is a proper way to do this pull (as intended by the developers) without getting all of them at once, which would probably help you conserve some power =P

Quote Originally Posted by TristranThorn View Post
    There is a proper way to do this pull (as intended by the developers) without getting all of them at once, which would probably help you conserve some power =P
    I think with more CC this would be possible. We did have minstrel fear which we used liberally. But we feared being overwhelmed by even 4 at the same time time. I think when we wiped the minnie tried to distract one of them before the pull and it was resisted. We then decided to give it a go anyway.

I just remember when we pulled and all five started hitting me at once, my morale dropped quickly (I think they were hitting for like 250-290 each). Healing couldn't keep up.

It's called anti-exploit, you do the math, lol.
    OK, touchette.

I'm pretty sure we couldn't have handled this without some kind of controlled pull. If CC options are limited, what else is there to do?

OK, touchette.

I'm pretty sure we couldn't have handled this without some kind of controlled pull. If CC options are limited, what else is there to do?
    LOL, I ain't tryin' to ream ya, buddy. In fact, I like your little story about this instance a lot. I was even talking to my wife about it last night. We were both dang impressed you guys pulled it off. I won't hold a couple zanked out mobs against ya.

I don't argue with any of that. Was just saying (the I guess tautological statement) that if he didn't spend it faster than he could get it back he'd not run out. I generally don't run out with conservative use and 1000 ICPR.

Mind you, I agree that I don't understand how with conservative power use he could hold up his end of the workload in 3 man on-level Tomb of Elendil run. Heck, I don't know how they dealt with the waves of little turtle adds in the final battle, much less burned down the big turtle. The one (and only) time I did that quest, we had to work some to keep those adds off of the healer, and with 3 chars only? But more power to them...
    I'm sure there is some amount of luck involved. I know for sure that I am NOT an exemplary guardian. I'm still learning some of the game mechanics. Our strategy was actually pretty simple. I tanked the big guy and when the little guys spawned, the minnie would say "adds". I would then run over quickly and either challenge or shield taunt to grab as many as I could. That bought the captain and minnie about 13s at least to heal or to kill a couple of the turtles. I literally SPAMMED fray the edge over and over again whenever it was available to try to increase the chance of CJs. When we got a CJ, we would either do our agreed straight or go all green or blue depending on the situation. The big turtle also stuns so I was able to get turn the tables off once or twice which also forced a CJ. In the end, I would say that CJs really made the difference.

We've been playing together for awhile and there is really a BIG difference in the number of CJs we get when I'm spamming fray the edge and when I'm not. I consider it to be once of my most valuable skills.

LOL, I ain't tryin' to ream ya, buddy. In fact, I like your little story about this instance a lot. I was even talking to my wife about it last night. We were both dang impressed you guys pulled it off. I won't hold a couple zanked out mobs against ya.
    No offense taken...really, I appreciate it. Means alot coming from a forumite of your reputation. No sarcasm intended.

/citation needed
    Last edited by rmj0411; Apr 27 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edit for funny

I think with more CC this would be possible. We did have minstrel fear which we used liberally. But we feared being overwhelmed by even 4 at the same time time. I think when we wiped the minnie tried to distract one of them before the pull and it was resisted. We then decided to give it a go anyway.

I just remember when we pulled and all five started hitting me at once, my morale dropped quickly (I think they were hitting for like 250-290 each). Healing couldn't keep up.

What I'm referring to is built into the instance and, more specifically, into the room you are in with the Khergrim. It's somewhat of a puzzle and not very obvious. I won't spoil it for you, but the answer I believe is in the Instances/Raids forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast