We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Smile Coming up to my first instance (Great Barrows) what's my role?

Hi Everyone :-),

The thread title sums up my question. Currently, I'm level 17, once I hit 21-25, I want to run the Great Barrows instance. This will be the first time I've run an instance in the game, and I'm a tad nervious. I really don't want to mess things up for the group (assuming of course I can find a group to run with, but that's another issue :-) ). Anyway I was looking for some pointers as to what my role would be within the instance. I love healing, so I'm happy to work as a backup healer, and provide buffs. I'm also happy to lend a hand dps wise where needed. Tanking is not something I want to do.

Any tips, guidance or advice would be warmly appreciated.

Regards,

Raven
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aa619/01003/signature.png]Aegambor[/charsig]

Re: Coming up to my first instance (Great Barrows) what's my role?

#1 thing to remember - GB is a starter instance designed to be an intro for people still learning their classes and maybe even someone who's brand new to MMOs. Meaning, it's pretty forgiving if you don't have the optimum set up or the best trait build.

My experiences with GB - I have:

1) Tanked it on my captain with a 6 man group. Used lots of stuns and other cc on multiple mob pulls, bosses were not an issue as far as tanking.

2) Had a captain as the Main Healer in a 4 man run when I was MT'ing on my Guardian. (We had me at 22, Captain at 25, Hunter and Burg both at 22 also, full completion).

3) Sat back and played buffer/Off-tank/Off-healer on my captain when the group consisted of a Guardian, a Minstrel, and 3 dps classes.

Point being, depending on your group make up, you can pretty much fill any role in GB. You might find some resistance to the idea of the captain tanking as it's generally frowned upon, but if you know/trust your party members (and they you) it's not that hard to do.

Thanks TrystaneArryn,

I guess I'm just feeling a bit nervious. I'm really looking foward to running the instance, but, yeah at the same time feeling apprehensive. *Chuckles* I'm sure I have nothing to worry about and everything will go fine.

Cheers,

Raven
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001aa619/01003/signature.png]Aegambor[/charsig]

just use words of courage and dps...rallying cry/war cry. not too hard
    Kraken, Thesungodra

The main advice I'll share is a "chaos of combat" issue. If you haven't been in many 6-man instances, you may find it very confusing at first. You'll see monsters rushing towards you and the party members moving and shifting during the melee. It can be tough at first to figure out what mob are we hitting now?. The facing changes. The targets change. I suggest you use some time in the Great Barrow to start observing the rings that appear at the feet of players and mobs. By seeing these rings, you can tell what is being targeted. Of course,this works better if you to turn on Skill Target Forwarding in your combat options. By doing so, you can target the tank (or main assist) and still hit the mob with your combat abilities. The tank target ring will be a different color than the mob target ring. By looking at the ground, you can see where the action is. I hope I've described this well enough. It always helps me when I'm in these situations. I know I tend to focus on my hotkeys and status bars a lot. I have to remind myself to also observe the action.

Some other thoughts:
    Your level when you go into Great Barrow will affect your abilities. For example, a few new skills start coming in during the 20s that are interesting.

Shield-brother & Inspire: level 22 (put this on the tank to help heal him). Don't spam it, though. Try to look for the little yellow cross on the tank so you know it's still healing over time on him. Re-apply when it runs out.

Last Stand: level 22. You'll take plenty of damage when you throw this. If you don't have the man heal from the race trait, it's probably unwise to throw it.

Escape from Darkness: level 20. In combat resurrection. Pretty nice, but it has a long induction and your target will revive with low morale. Use only if desperate. It has a very long cooldown.

As for real-time play, here's what comes to mind.
    The only buffs you have are On Guard and Motivating Speech. It can't hurt to put On Guard on the whole group, since you don't get Relentless Attack until level 28. Motivating speech should always be up, of course. Same for your herald or banner.

Try to apply Telling Mark to the fellowship's targets as one of your early actions, perhaps after Battle-shout. It's good to keep your combat skills chain going, to keep the defeat responses up. A captain is a melee healer, so you have to keep acting in order to be fully effective.

When you see fear DoTs (an effect with a pink border, typically), you can throw Muster Courage to remove it. Nice fear removal for the group. Handy.

What I find most interesting about our class is that we're always analyzing the situation and trying to decide what is the best action to take. Every skill is a decision. It can be a bit daunting to look at morale bars, detrimental effects, your hotkeys, and the fight action all at the same time, but the Great Barrow is a good place to start doing this.

I enjoyed your question. I would be happy to group with anyone who, like you, is thoughtful enough to think ahead and plan for instance fights.

Sincerely,
    Broogen (Capt 63)
    Windfola
    Last edited by Holman; Apr 22 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holman View Post
    Last Stand: level 22. You'll take plenty of damage when you throw this. If you don't have the man heal from the race trait, it's probably unwise to throw it.
    Mostly very good advice above. You meant In Harms Way though, which he won't have for a while. Pop Last Stand if you think you are going to die.

Other random advice:
    Come prepared. Have a good supply of potions (health/power/other pots) and some food. Use when needed. Healing you is not as big a priority of the group healer as the tank.

Read up on fellowship mans (aka conjunctions). If your group is at all organized, the leader will set one so you can all know the color expected. If you are a relatively inexperienced group, simple is good here (e.g. all red with final blue type stuff).

Make sure you have your herald out and in a pretty passive mode. You don't want him pulling mobs.

Don't break mez. If you have a loremaster/burg, they will mez guys to give you less to fight at once. Those guys aren't causing trouble, attack the other mobs only. Don't uncork AOE (Pressing attack or Routing Cry) near mezzed mobs.

Pop Rallying Cry when up IF people are hurting, otherwise War Cry

Try to keep an eye on everyone to throw heals as needed. PARTICULARLY the tank and the healer, as if either goes down things rapidly tend to go bad. The tank is mostly the healers problem, but sometimes they fall behind. If someone is beating on the healer, throw heals on the healer and then try and pull the mob off of them (the heals will help do that, as they generate aggro). If the healer or tank goes down, excellent time to use your rez. And when they come back up, throw heals on them, they will need it badly as they come up with little morale.

When not otherwise busy, DPS as much as you can. Often in groups there is a "main assist" who is designated. The idea is that the tank (who can also be main assist) gets aggro of most or all mobs. The main assist takes on one other, that the rest of you help burn down. It is much more efficient to concentrate on one mob at a time and kill them then to try to kill all mobs in parallel.

GB was the moment when I realized that I LOOOOVED the game. I remember going in and literally feeling the dread oozing on the walls, with a sense of excitement and nervousness going around the next bend to find massive huge spiders staring back, getting ambushed by creepy crawlers and all that good stuff.
    I really knew nothing on that run, and folks I was with were patient to explain things to me.
    Just have fun! (and don't get lost
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Quote Originally Posted by Holman View Post
    Of course,this works better if you to turn on Skill Target Forwarding in your combat options. By doing so, you can target the tank (or main assist) and still hit the mob with your combat abilities.
    ^ This. I didn't discover Target Forwarding or Show Vitals of Target's Target until I was around level 47. Now I don't know how I ever managed without it. You can target the tank, and see what he's hitting. Or you can target a mob and see what they're hitting. Great to know who has aggro.

I would also recommend turning on the Directional Path Indicator (or whatever it's called). It's in Combat Options as well. If you tab to a mob that you see (through Target's Target) is beating on the mini, but can't see him right off the bat on your screen, you can follow the line on the ground to him. I use this all the time as a healer to find people.

Also, go to your Social Panel and turn on Raid Assist Window. Have the group leader put someone (usually single target DPS) as the assist target. Then just hit whatever he's hitting.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone Seems like there's a lot to keep track of within the instance. I'll do my best to keep on top of things, I'm sure that the more I run instances, the better I'll become

Regards,

Raven

We are so darned cute...like parents sending our teenager out on prom night.

All good suggestions here. I'd hope for a group with a tank class (guardian, warden) a few levels higher than the rest of you, they'll have a much easier time getting/holding aggro.

Don't feel the need to rush in and start hitting things. The first half of any combat/pull is often most dangerous in these group instances--chaos for the first few seconds. Since your mark is still on a relatively long cool down, wait to apply it once you see folks have settled on a target, or tab through and see if there are any targets "bigger" (elites, etc.) in a pull, and put it there instead of spending it on a normal mob. Even if folks aren't focusing on the big mob first, it will make that battle go faster.

If the group is fighting multiples, feel free to tab through once in a while and find one that is close to dying--hit that to get rid of it and open up your gated skills.

A technique that is particularly useful at lower levels:
    • Stand next to the main tank.
    • Target the person doing the pull (may be the tank, might be the LRM doing a mezz pull, or a burg), and just as they do the pull, use Words of Courage (individual heal) on them.
    • The mobs they haven't directly hit/aggro'd will come running to you, and the tank can collect them more easily. Additionally, your main healer won't look as interesting.
    • Alternatively, you can use WoC on the healer as the pull is started, moving you up the threat list and keeping things off the healer.
    • Let the tank know you are going to do this, so they are prepared.

You'll make the tank look fabulous, and things will go easier.

"Have fun sweetie, and take some photos for old mom and dad...don't stay out too late!"
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

*runs towards car as they pull off*

Wait, wait...here's a map. Be careful!

http://www.thebrasse.com/lotromap/38
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    *runs towards car as they pull off*

Wait, wait...here's a map. Be careful!

http://www.thebrasse.com/lotromap/38

ROFLMAO Thank you Lupini, I needed that chuckle :-)

Great advice in this thread! All I can add is this:

1. Don't feel too badly if it doesn't go smoothly the first time. You're there to learn and have fun. We all have bad runs -- even those of us who have been grouping up to do instances for years. Bad runs are usually never the fault of one person, anyway (unless you pull a Leeroy Jenkins...)

2. Like others in this thread have mentioned, GB is a fantastic instance to start learning your role as a Captain. What you'll find after a few runs in there is that your role is extremely versatile. Depending on the group make-up, you might find yourself healing more, DPSing more, or helping the tank with aggro management. Over time, you'll learn how to assess the situation properly and change your playstyle accordingly. That's one of the great things about running instances with a Captain: group weaknesses can be improved significantly, and group strengths can be made even stronger.

3. Make sure your group leader has a target assist selected (and make sure you've enabled the target assist setting in your combat UI so you can actually see the box on your screen). This will make it MUCH easier for you and everyone else to stay on the same target.

4. Clear those fears as soon as you see 'em! Fear damage-over-times can be extremely harmful if fear pots or a Captain's Muster Courage skill isn't used. Since Muster Courage merely costs us a few points of power, you'll really be helping your fellowship mates out.

Enjoy! And let us know how it goes.
    "The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began"

R9 Weaver | R6 Stalker | R6 Defiler | 105 CPT | 105 LM | Landroval

Using skill forwarding and target assists in GB doubly important because of how narrow and confined each hallway/ramp is within the barrow. Everyone is often literally standing on top of each other during most of the instance, and trying to mouse click on to character or monster on screen is near impossible.

Make the instance even more fun by jamming more pets into those corridors! The best group I ever had in there was 3 captains, 3 heralds, 3 loremasters, and 3 bears. It was like a mini raid, lol.
    Arkenstone: Pelagor 100 Captain, Finarwe 100 Loremaster, Banderdas 100 Minstrel

Unfortunately I'll be putting my captain on hold for a bit (a couple of weeks). But as soon as I can I'll run the instance and let you all know how it went. Thank you all very much for your kind support and advice.

I'll add something I didn't see mentioned.

That damned mouse cusor can get lost pretty quick when you have multiple mobs attacking and 5 other fellows to keep track of.

I mean it's so damned small if you're running at a high resoultion and people are launcing fire and smoke and explosions are going off and shock waves are hitting and all these other special effects and there's no way to increase its freaking size!! *pant pant pant pant*

Anyway try not to lose your mouse cursor...

Quikhan - 65 Guardian; Helieos - 65 Captian