We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Captain Help :)

Captain Help :)

I have just got back after about a 2 year vacation and my captain is sitting at 51. I play with 2 good friends (champion and a minstrel). Either myself or the champion will have to tank for us but right now we are getting our butts handed to us by elite 50 mobs. So my question is: Would it be better for me to tank or the champion and if it is me can someone point me in the direction of a tanking spec? I looked in the first thread listed but the link is broken for the captain tank build.

Also can three do the books now?

Thank you for all your help .

Re: Captain Help :)

* Would it be better for me to tank or the champion and if it is me can someone point me in the direction of a tanking spec?

Champion will be the better tank as it has many more AOE skills than captain for grabbing aggro from multiple mobs. I believe that in order for the champion to be the best tank it can be it must give up significant DPS (e.g., drop fervour stance). My champion alt is a lowbie, so take this with a grain of salt. Captain can do a decent job single target tanking with noble mark, threatening shout, grave wound + heals.

You and the mini should be able to keep your champ tank alive. You can off-tank if anything goes for the mini and help heal.

* Also can three do the books now?

Depends. You can use inspired greatness to solo (or 3-man) some of the epic quests (I think just Vol1 Bk1 and 2 right now).

All of the books in Volume 1 make use of the Inspired Greatness buff, which scales according to your party size.
    They can be done anywhere from solo to a full fellowship.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=gold][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/gildamon"]Gildamon[/URL] - Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=indianred][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/ioanes"]Ioanes[/URL] - Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=deepskyblue][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/brandywine/arcenbryht"]Arcenbryht[/URL] - Captain[/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Beyorn View Post
    I have just got back after about a 2 year vacation and my captain is sitting at 51. I play with 2 good friends (champion and a minstrel). Either myself or the champion will have to tank for us but right now we are getting our butts handed to us by elite 50 mobs. So my question is: Would it be better for me to tank or the champion and if it is me can someone point me in the direction of a tanking spec? I looked in the first thread listed but the link is broken for the captain tank build.

Go for the champ tanking. Between your shield brother healing help (strength of will + inspire ), your occasional heal, and the mini he should stay up no problem. Why make him throttle back his DPS and ebbing and such so that your Captain can keep the aggro? Let him go to town with AOE etc. You can even try him in fervour and see if your heals keep up, as SOW offsets some of the healing penalty. Put revealing mark up and his extra damage will do extra healing. For tanking more than 1 guy he is also MUCH better at you as his AOE will gather lots of aggro in.

And yes, with inspired greatness buffs you can do any of the "large fellowship" epic quests.

Champ tank all the way. If the champ knows how to hit aoe buttons over and over, you will win. Shield brother that tank and spam To Arms. Heck, having a Minny for a Cappy/Champ combo is just icing on the cake!

You got everything you need. Focus on making the champ an AOE damage monster and you WIN will be epic.

Also, beg him to go Fervour. With two healers, he should basically be able to stand in with anything.
    Last edited by IowaHawk; Apr 20 2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Dor sho gha

Either myself or the champion will have to tank for us but right now we are getting our butts handed to us by elite 50 mobs.
    Also, what specifically are these mobs, and how many are you pulling at once?

I would say champ tanking.
    You really do not want to use Noble Mark unless you have no other choice and it is a single target threat generator.

Champs can take agro from you or the healer to help, and the cap and mini have ways to drop their agro.

Also Telling Mark on the mob will make up for the decrease of DPS in Glory, and if you want you can try tanking in Fervor but it can turn nasty very very fast so be warned and be ready.

We are pulling the elite undead in a high level area that looks like the swampy section of the Barrow Downs (I'm sorry I suck with names, its in Angmar). They are ghost types and they range from 48-50 elite. We are pulling one at a time but we get 2 or 3 on occasion. We have been gone a while so we realize we will have to learn to play our classes again but we are getting our butts handed to us. We are not sure what we are doing wrong. The champions health goes down really fast when he tanks. It is all we can do to keep him up. I also usually end up pulling aggro so I'm not terribly sure what we are doing wrong. Thank you all for the help and any suggestions you can offer will be welcome. We all have grape gear (crafted) and blue weapons (crafted). If you want to look up my champion on "My LOTRO" his name is Beyhere.
    Last edited by Beyorn; Apr 20 2010 at 02:14 PM.

if the champion is using skills properly, he will be tanking. unless you use the force pull from LtC.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

You say you have "blue" weapons...have you done the Moria intro and gotten your "trainer" legendary items yet?

If not, my suggestion follows:
    • Head to the Eregion and make your way to the Walls of Moria. Don't bother picking up quests just yet (but grab stable points as you go through).
    • Talk to the Dwarf outside the Walls of Moria, and pick up the quest to go into the intro instance for Moria. You can go in there together.
    • Do the Moria intro quest line in that instanced area (note, there are also some side quest areas in there that don't *need* to be done, but are interesting).
    • After a solo instance (like we have when we do the game intro area), you'll get your FIRST legendary item. However, you are only part way done with the Moria intro quest line.

Now that you have your first legendary, go back out into Eregion and head to the Gwingris area (north west Eregion), and start the quests there. You have to level up your first legendary item to level 10 before you can go back and finish the Moria intro quest line.

The quests in Eregion will probably be a lower level for you, the landscape isn't full of elites, and you can be leveling up your legendary items and working towards your second legendary item. The trainer legendary items have pretty good attributes.

Once you've got a couple more levels on your characters and your LI's, go back to Angmar and re-snuff the wights.

The champ should generally be able to grab multiples, but you will need to off-tank a mob or two once in a while--you *do* have heavy armour. Imlad Balchorth is a sort of nasty area, the wights are mostly elites, they are close together, and there are a lot of roamers that trigger other groups without you realizing what is happening. There are also a lot that "pop" up from the ground. The deepest part of that area is intended as a full raid for level 50's, so don't feel too bad about not getting through there.

I'd head to Eregion for a while--much nicer scenery, start your LI's, and when you finish the Moria intro you can start working the threshold area of Moria, too.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

We are pulling the elite undead in a high level area that looks like the swampy section of the Barrow Downs (I'm sorry I suck with names, its in Angmar). They are ghost types and they range from 48-50 elite. We are pulling one at a time but we get 2 or 3 on occasion. We have been gone a while so we realize we will have to learn to play our classes again but we are getting our butts handed to us. We are not sure what we are doing wrong. The champions health goes down really fast when he tanks. It is all we can do to keep him up. I also usually end up pulling aggro so I'm not terribly sure what we are doing wrong. Thank you all for the help and any suggestions you can offer will be welcome. We all have grape gear (crafted) and blue weapons (crafted). If you want to look up my champion on "My LOTRO" his name is Beyhere.
    If I remember correctly, them shades put on a lot of fears. You will probably want to hit fear removal whenever it is up.

Also, I checked you out, your gear isn't too bad. It's probably just a tactic refinement you need. However, I really think a hope token plus keeping fears wiped will do what you need.

Thank you all so very much for the advice. We have started doing the intro Moria quest for the legendary weapon and then we will head back to smack the ghost and see how that goes.

Another quick question: Since we don't raid (we are old farts) what is the best way to upgrade our gear?
    Last edited by Beyorn; Apr 21 2010 at 08:29 AM.

Thank you all so very much for the advice. We have started doing the intro Moria quest for the legendary weapon and then we will head back to smack the ghost and see how that goes.

Another quick question: Since we don't raid (we are old farts) what is the best way to upgrade our gear?
    There are some decent sets of armor you get from questing (e.g. in Trollshaws and in Angmar, don't remember the levels though). Other than that, crafted is mostly the best at earlier levels, either one of you level an armorer and a weaponsmith, or shop the auction house for crit gear. Same for jewelry. But always look at the quest rewards, sometimes it is better than what you have.

Once you get to late 50s, you could get in on fairly short and easy 6 man grand stairs and other (less easy) instance runs in Moria to get coins you can trade for very nice sets of class specific armor, with or without radiance. And you will be using a pair of LIs by then for you weapon and class item. Some sort of nice stuff also drops in those instances jewelry etc. Not the absolute best perhaps, but good.

One more quest :

I havnt finished some of my legendary traits yet and I need a resource that will tell me what I need and were it comes from. The links I find on the boards are dead. Anyone have any suggestions? The wiki tells me what I need but not were it comes from (atleast that I can find anywa).

Also the slime we need for IDoME is there any other way to get it besides the raid? I have read it can be gotten from a level 27 quest in Rivendell or you might can buy it with skirmish marks.

Thanks again!

It doesn`t matter since both of you are melees. As long as the minstrel keep you alive and he doesn`t get aggro you`re doing your job.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

One more quest :

I havnt finished some of my legendary traits yet and I need a resource that will tell me what I need and were it comes from. The links I find on the boards are dead. Anyone have any suggestions? The wiki tells me what I need but not were it comes from (atleast that I can find anywa).

Also the slime we need for IDoME is there any other way to get it besides the raid? I have read it can be gotten from a level 27 quest in Rivendell or you might can buy it with skirmish marks.

Thanks again!

Regular Drops:
    20 Grisly Bat Talons (from bats in Angmar, Moria, and Mirkwood)
    20 Corroded Neekerbreeker-Horns (from corrupted norbogs in Malenhad, Angmar)
    15 Coiled Spider Spinnerets (from spiders in West Angmar, Moria, and Mirkwood)
    15 Hateful Worm Eyes (Angmar or eastern side of Misty Mountains, Moria, and Mirkwood)
    *8 Nasty Snowreap Knife (from Goblins in Misty Mountains)
    *12 Steam-Scorched Carapace (norbogs in Angmar)

*these items only drop when you have the class quest for them

Instance Drops:
    5 Rotted Barghest Paws (Fornost City Instance and in Haudh Iarchith (aka Bree Rep Dungeon), or any level 43 or more elite barghest
    1 Badge of Command (from Lagmas in Urugarth, or barter with skirmish marks)
    1 Purtried slime of Helchgam (from Helchgam in Carn Dum, or barter with skirmish marks)
    1 Teeth of Gorthorog (from any Gorthorog in Urugarth, or barter with skirmish marks)
    1 Medallion of Passage (from any uruk in Carn Dum, or barter with skirmish marks)

No, there is not a level 27 quest that gives you the Putrid Slime (wonder what that person was smoking?).

You can trade skirmish marks for the last 4 items in the list--the single items from the instances. Check with the skirmish barter people to see what you will need in types/amounts of marks.
    Last edited by Lupini; Apr 22 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Edited the above a bit...realized I hadn't updated it since a few releases ago.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Thank you so very, very, much .