We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why all the screaming?

Hey, I am pretty new and I have tried all the classes a little. Why oh why does the captain scream so much? I play with the sound on and I thought the class was sort of fun, but the sound of the screaming makes me not want to play a captain at all...I found it very annoying. Sorry, if this sounds like a complaining post...but I feel I had to express my annoyance with this. I actually do think the class seems interesting though.

Re: Why all the screaming?

Well, a "battle cry" would be a shout..... And if you think the captain is bad, the warden is sounding off even more (which on hobbits is soooo cute)!!

Anyway, in the higher levels as a captain you will have many more skills to execute so the occasional shout isn't going to bug you nearly so much.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

ok, it should be a minor thing...but it seriously drives me crazy..lol

So do only Captains and Wardens shout?

You receive most of your "shout/cries" by level 10--captains have 4 total (I think that's correct), the last one you get a level 26. So, that is a lot of shouting for not many levels. However, you do receive enough other skills within a few levels, so you won't be stuck using so many cries within a short time.

The cries are on the sound slider for combat--turn that down a bit for a while until you have some more skill options. I actually turn it down pretty far in general, just because the mob volume is often over the top for me, or keeps me from hearing other players' voice in game.

Get a captain, warden, guardian, and war-speech minstrel together some time.

*waves at another cheeshead*
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Ok. I might just turn down the sound some then. My wife was in the same room with me and she was wondering what the heck was going on :P

Wow, another cheesehead. Nice to meet you I am pretty close to the Madison area, its a small world.

Just say "Honey, I'm not screaming, I'm MOTIVATING."
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    Just say "Honey, I'm not screaming, I'm MOTIVATING."
    lol...I actually told her that. "It's a cheerleader with a sword"

Most classes have some sort of cries or shouts. Burgs and hunters are pretty quiet, but wardens, captains, and minstrels can be pretty noisy. After playing my quiet, reserved hunter, it took some getting used to playing other, more outgoing classes. The way the sound seems to echo, it seems like half of Middle Earth must hear you! It's not really true though. It only sounds that way to you and the people very close to you, and you get used to it. I particularly get a kick out of screaming at dead mobs. If I don't, it feels weird (although the "whoooosh" heal is nice, too. )
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sonsy 85 Hunter[/COLOR];[COLOR="#008000"] Lodellee 85 Minstrel[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#B22222"]Bellamee 85 Guardian[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#006400"]Tennac 84 Champion[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#DAA520"]Sunnwyn 78 Captain[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#cccccc"]Missgrey 76 Lore-master[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#0000FF"]Pwnie 55 Burglar[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#996633"]Meowzen 48 Warden[/COLOR];[COLOR="#EE82EE"] Elsbetha 12 Rune-keeper[/COLOR]
    [B]Leader[/B] - Protectors of the Free [I]and [/I]Free of the Protectors - Firefoot

the leggings are.. well ... kinda tight.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012e209/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"He knows not to what end he rides; yet if he knew, he would still go on."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Vedukin View Post
    Hey, I am pretty new and I have tried all the classes a little. Why oh why does the captain scream so much?.....
    To scare the bejebers out of our enemies... and small furry creatures everywhere.

Once upon a time, killing random, 1 morale creatures would activate our on-defeat skills. There was no better use for Battle-shout.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

6 captain run of Grand Stairs...now THAT was a lot of screaming!!!

I think it is a scream of frustration at always getting screwed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000114ecf/signature.png]Thuarval[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by SGWB View Post
    Once upon a time, killing random, 1 morale creatures would activate our on-defeat skills. There was no better use for Battle-shout.
    Ah yes...the days when our dps really did stink, and just getting through a two-mob pull required the death of a passing squirrel.

I only did it once...I just *couldn't* make myself do it again after hearing that death squeak.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

i was going to say "play a warden, then post about the screaming lol" or some other sarcastic comment like that... but seems like others have done it for me. ive got a lvl 65 waden and every other attack i do involves yelling... it grates the nerves for a little then you learn to block it out. then i made a cappy and suddenly realize how quiet it is... id hate to think how quiet the other classes are...
    yeah... wardens are by far the loudest class in the game, followed by cappys then minis... by end game you wont hear a cappy yelling as much. most of the time is taken up by sword clanging and "wooshing"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000d08b9/01003/signature.png]Dravidor[/charsig]
    The 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse. (I left before they became famous)

Quote Originally Posted by Ordenus View Post
    6 captain run of Grand Stairs...now THAT was a lot of screaming!!!
    6 captain HoC run. The screaming didn't bug me. What I did find distracting was 6 people waving sticks in the air like some homicidal flag core.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

The captains and wardens yell so much because they are retired basketball coaches from Indiana
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050100000d6a9c/signature.png]Gorgebush[/charsig]

Like any good guardian, perpetually messing with things 10 times our size.

It would be cool if you could pick the style of your shouts and cries instead of just the standard "rawr". Battle cries for female cappies especially are at best unladylike and at worst kinda silly.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=yellow]Celedorn [/COLOR][/B]Champion [B]~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Severrond [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Lore-Master ~ [B][COLOR=yellow]Edenvail [/COLOR][/B]Captain[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Vexer [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Burglar[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Halorandir [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Hunter[/SIZE][SIZE=1][B] ~ [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][B]Braeburn [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1]Guardian[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][I][COLOR=#ffa500]Proud member of Weapon of Choice [/COLOR][/I][SIZE=2]~ Elendilmir[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=white]"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me."[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Stopping Mr. Stay Puft from taking over Eriador

Quote Originally Posted by Vedukin View Post
    lol...I actually told her that. "It's a cheerleader with a sword"
    Great, now I'm gonna start calling myself that too

You can also go to audio in your UI and turn combat sounds off ... 'course, you'll miss all that other good stuff

You'll probably get used to it eventually, if you like the class, heck, you might even find it endearing.

I used to find it a little stupid or bothersome when I started, but eventually, it became a funny staple to the class, just constant screaming.

A favorite thing of mine is to find harmless animals like deers, squirrels and rabbits and just scream at them once to death. It's pretty funny when a strong, healthy buck falls over because I didn't use my "inside voice".
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000004190/01003/signature.png]Curuvorn[/charsig]