We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Re-installing lotro...

Ok, so my hard drive is shot and i'm getting a new one, gonna reinstall lotro - is it gonna say that the CD key is in use because i did not get the chance to uninstall it from my last hard drive?

Re: Re-installing lotro...

I wouldn't think so.

I never did anything with a cd key, I downloaded the client. I can't imagine they would bother coding some kind of cd key check into retail copies of the game, when the account and password check is done when you login to the game servers anyways.

It's done for single player games much more commonly.

You might have a bit of patching to do if your cd is old. Depending on how old, it might actually be faster to just download an updated client from Turbine instead of letting the patcher try to update your copy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000181e2f/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Now I myself prefer battles of trickery to those of the blade when dealing with fellows thrice my height and one-tenth my wit..." -Lithuifin, Healer of The Eavespires

The CD key is attached to your account. Just install the game and login to your account.

Thank you both for the quick replies i'm less worried now

-Fall

If you were to install from the original discs, the game would take FOREVER to patch up.

I strongly recommend just re-downloading the full game.

--Akkim

Quote Originally Posted by IamAkkim View Post
    If you were to install from the original discs, the game would take FOREVER to patch up.

I strongly recommend just re-downloading the full game.

--Akkim
    I'd be installing from the Moria disks.

Would it cost money to re-download the whole game? any link you can give me to show me how?

http://www.lotro.com/

On the left side, click the big download now button.

Oh if you get the advertisement to buy the game now for 29.99 just click the button to continue to lotro.com

Edit: http://www.lotro.com/support/download-lotro

There's a better link.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000181e2f/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Now I myself prefer battles of trickery to those of the blade when dealing with fellows thrice my height and one-tenth my wit..." -Lithuifin, Healer of The Eavespires

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiasfrost View Post
    http://www.lotro.com/

On the left side, click the big download now button.

Oh if you get the advertisement to buy the game now for 29.99 just click the button to continue to lotro.com

Edit: http://www.lotro.com/support/download-lotro

There's a better link.
    Ohh, cool, thanks!

So that's the full game, up to Volume 3? - how long do you think it will take? (estimated)

Quote Originally Posted by dec07 View Post
    Ohh, cool, thanks!

So that's the full game, up to Volume 3? - how long do you think it will take? (estimated)
    On cablemode, the full download takes 10-11 hours.. which is actually probably faster than patching up from MoM =)

--Akkim

On cablemode, the full download takes 10-11 hours.. which is actually probably faster than patching up from MoM =)

--Akkim
    Ok, that's not as bad as i thought. Thank you for the help

What everyone here is telling you is right on the money. No need to worry about your account and Product Key....it's safely stored on Turbines servers.

All you need to do is install, patch up, download the various Microsoft packages that LOTRO requires (.NET Framework, C++ Redistributables, etc.), ...don't forget your video drivers.

After that, just log in and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyfoot View Post
    What everyone here is telling you is right on the money. No need to worry about your account and Product Key....it's safely stored on Turbines servers.

All you need to do is install, patch up, download the various Microsoft packages that LOTRO requires (.NET Framework, C++ Redistributables, etc.), ...don't forget your video drivers.

After that, just log in and play.

As for information on the account, like in-game stiff. Are my characters affected at all? dumb question i know

Nothing ingame is affected

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoric View Post
    Nothing ingame is affected
    Ok thank you!!

Just wondering is there a way to install the game with the default CD then copy paste the whole big dat files from another computer/archive then update it?

Actually I need to upgrade both my computer and my wife one and I just cant imagine the hassle of downloading and reinstalling everything from scratch :|

Quote Originally Posted by Arnwalden View Post
    Just wondering is there a way to install the game with the default CD then copy paste the whole big dat files from another computer/archive then update it?

Actually I need to upgrade both my computer and my wife one and I just cant imagine the hassle of downloading and reinstalling everything from scratch :|
    You don't even need to install, copy then entire Turbine folder over, run TurbineRegisterGDF.exe from 'The Lord of the Rings Online' folder and you are done.

Might want to create a desktop shortcut but the game will be patched to the point the game you copied from was.

If you copy over 'The Lord of the Rings ONline' folder from 'My Documents' all the UI tweaks and such will be there also.

Quote Originally Posted by chuimon View Post
    You don't even need to install, copy then entire Turbine folder over, run TurbineRegisterGDF.exe from 'The Lord of the Rings Online' folder and you are done.

Might want to create a desktop shortcut but the game will be patched to the point the game you copied from was.

If you copy over 'The Lord of the Rings ONline' folder from 'My Documents' all the UI tweaks and such will be there also.
    Awesomeness you are my hero!

/bow

Quote Originally Posted by chuimon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arnwalden View Post
    Awesomeness you are my hero!

/bow
    hehe mine too, new PC coming this week and that info is very useful and timely

Hey guys, i installed lotro from the website downloaded, installed everything - but can't find the icon or it in my programs? any ideas?

-Fall

Quote Originally Posted by dec07 View Post
    Hey guys, i installed lotro from the website downloaded, installed everything - but can't find the icon or it in my programs? any ideas?

-Fall
    What version of Windows? Windows 7?

Start -> GAMES

Odds are the icon got hijacked into Microsofts new "Game Center" semi-applet =)

--Akkim

What version of Windows? Windows 7?

Start -> GAMES

Odds are the icon got hijacked into Microsofts new "Game Center" semi-applet =)

--Akkim
    Yeah, i found it last night, thanks