We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Well I use a Herbalist for me skirmishes and I find she works really well. I have RoT and BA traited but I rarely have to use them as I'm only pulling 2-3 mobs at a time. One attacks me while the others go for the herby then I just pull them off one by one while the herby heals herself.

    For elite encounters: at first bards arrow will help you a lot as the herbies healing won't keep up with the damage your taking but at later levels you dont need to worry about anything other than causing massive damage.
    Also, using burn hot works fine as the herby can give you power back!

    And the only problem I've had with the AI is that if only one mob is present and you fear it, the herby will stop healing completely and just stand there uselessly. I haven't tried using the command skill to see if that starts her healing again though.

    I've found the herby works so well that I haven't even bothered trying a different soldier. Hunters seriously lack any heals and the herbalist is there to make up for it.
    Goodluck with your skirmishes!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000004ce13/01007/signature.png]Graeldon[/charsig]

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    710

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Over the weekend I levelled up a protector to replace my banner-guard.

    Wow, huge improvement. Vs groups his shouts grab aggro in no time and I can just pick them off one at a time, and VS the bosses just send in the protector first, wait a few secs then away you go.
    It's like having an extra 5k morale and no interruptions, I love it.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    [/center]

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by IronResolve View Post
    Well I use a Herbalist for me skirmishes and I find she works really well. I have RoT and BA traited but I rarely have to use them as I'm only pulling 2-3 mobs at a time. One attacks me while the others go for the herby then I just pull them off one by one while the herby heals herself.

    For elite encounters: at first bards arrow will help you a lot as the herbies healing won't keep up with the damage your taking but at later levels you dont need to worry about anything other than causing massive damage.
    Also, using burn hot works fine as the herby can give you power back!

    And the only problem I've had with the AI is that if only one mob is present and you fear it, the herby will stop healing completely and just stand there uselessly. I haven't tried using the command skill to see if that starts her healing again though.

    I've found the herby works so well that I haven't even bothered trying a different soldier. Hunters seriously lack any heals and the herbalist is there to make up for it.
    Goodluck with your skirmishes!
    We were extra bored the other night and had Soldiers battle each other. Herbalist vs Warrior. I won due to time out. My little Herbalist not only healed herself she even kept me going with Power Regen when her skills would end

    Not that I was doing anything though. I just stood in place and watched. She made me so proud.

    Again I love my wittle Herbalist
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    Some good advice here. Thanks.

    The catch-22 is in order to level my soldier, I need to do the skirmishes, but to do the skirmishes, I need to level my soldier.

    Dropping the skirmish level (as someone suggested) may be a good idea. Skirmish marks will accumulate more slowly, but at least they'll accumulate.
    I saw this, so I am jumping in...have not read the rest of the thread.

    My hunter was 60 when SOM came out, so my skirm soldier was much lower. I thought herby would be good as well, and maybe it can, but I changed to protector, but realized I would have the problem you have. I then ran stand at amun sol quite a few times over and over, since there, my solider is minimized since you have candaith there, and you can focus a bit more on keeping fires up! then you just level him as much as you can. Run some skirms under level - yes, you will take a hit on marks, but you will finsih, and get marks, as opposed to failing. Once your defender gets his heal, you will be in good shape!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000020a33e/01008/signature.png]Electoric[/charsig]
    Electoric-65RK; Adanador-63Hnt; Misscreant-54Burg; Galock - BA

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Internetz
    Posts
    1,930

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    My hunter has been on the self for awhile, but I've started working him again. Tried my first skirmish on him the other night (he was level 58). I went for Thievery and Mischief, because I enjoy doing that one on my LM (it's quite easy on my LM with a bannerguard, even when the soldier was not leveled).

    Anyway, I went herbalist for the hunter since he lacks healing, but maybe I goofed. So, I almost died on the first pull at the south gate. I think I had 4 mobs total. I had to kite while my cooldowns ticked off. Then, the counterattack at the AH sent a stormcrow and three adds. More kiting and fears on the dumb bird.

    I bailed after that, it was just not fun for me.

    I have some peerless triple traps now, so maybe that will help.

    Any advice for doing skirmishes solo? They really seem to favour classes that can more effectively deal with multiple mobs.

    What I do is get a archer, bump him up, and go kick em. It seems to work well especially if he has marking arrow skill.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    722

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Gildonel View Post
    I saw this, so I am jumping in...have not read the rest of the thread.

    My hunter was 60 when SOM came out, so my skirm soldier was much lower. I thought herby would be good as well, and maybe it can, but I changed to protector, but realized I would have the problem you have. I then ran stand at amun sol quite a few times over and over, since there, my solider is minimized since you have candaith there, and you can focus a bit more on keeping fires up! then you just level him as much as you can. Run some skirms under level - yes, you will take a hit on marks, but you will finsih, and get marks, as opposed to failing. Once your defender gets his heal, you will be in good shape!
    Thanks for that suggestion. I don't like the Amon Sul skirmish, so I decided to try the Fords of Bruinen skirmish. That went quite well. Elrond's sons are quite helpful to a hunter, although I've read they're a bane to CC classes.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    After a fairly long hiatus, I am back to LotRO and am finding the Skirmishes to be quite fun, but a bit short on instruction.

    As I have mostly played solo, my equipment is kind of meh, so most the time I am playing skirmishes at T1/level-3 to ensure success (and avoid some frustration). I chose Protector for my soldier and find him a pretty good companion (except when he inexplicably becomes disinterested in saving me).

    What I'd like to get advice on is what Skills and Training other Protector users developed for their soldier. Currently, I use the following:

    Role: Protector(7 - lvl 52)
    Skills: Taunting Strike(7), Threatening Riposte(6), Threatening Shout(6)
    Training: Shield(6), Defense(6), Heavy Armor(6)
    Personal: Bow-Master(1), Armoured Assault(1)

    In skills, I just picked up Ultimate: Defender of All, but the description doesn't sound all that impressive. Still, I am considering dropping Taunting Strike and leveling DoA up. The other one that I mull over is whether or not Self-reliance (healing) is worth adding or if keeping my soldier focused on threat is more important.

    In training... I am not sure... I kept his focus on the defensive ones hoping it would help him survive while I do the DPS.

    Personal... I really haven't look too deeply into yet. Just touched lightly on a little to bow and kept the armour one as it came for free.

    I would love to get any insight as to what others have found effective and would suggest someone relatively new to the experience and fun of skirmishes.

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: Fixed the levels of trained skills.
    Last edited by GWJ_SR; May 15 2010 at 12:57 PM.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,531

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    I do skirmishes on level or even one or two levels above my level. Initially I found being greatly outnumbered by the mobs pretty frightening. I use everything I have - peerless triple traps and quick traps, level cap foods (cooked and trail), keep a boatload of potions ready for use, use campfires to speed healing, and I use all of my skills; ie bard's arrow, rain of thorns, intent concentration, etc. I time the big fights so that all of my cooldowns are ready for use.

    I can't count the number of times I've sat there saying "I'm a dead man, I'm a dead man" while the mobs hammered away at me. My nephew gets a bang out of watching me fail to die in those hopeless scenarios.

    What I do is I keep things off my herbalist. She is my girlfriend and I am a jealous hunter, so anybody touches her and they lose their head right away. I keep her behind me or close to me and I keep mobs off her.

    My health goes down, and there are still four mobs. I take a potion, and a moment later my healer finishes me off at 100% again. It just works out.

    I've survived those hopeless fights time and time again. It is amazing what a good herbalist can do for you .... as long as you keep her alive.

    And needless to say, I pour every skirmish mark back into my healer and her skills and levels.

  9. #34

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    My hunter has been on the self for awhile, but I've started working him again. Tried my first skirmish on him the other night (he was level 58). I went for Thievery and Mischief, because I enjoy doing that one on my LM (it's quite easy on my LM with a bannerguard, even when the soldier was not leveled).

    Anyway, I went herbalist for the hunter since he lacks healing, but maybe I goofed. So, I almost died on the first pull at the south gate. I think I had 4 mobs total. I had to kite while my cooldowns ticked off. Then, the counterattack at the AH sent a stormcrow and three adds. More kiting and fears on the dumb bird.

    I bailed after that, it was just not fun for me.

    I have some peerless triple traps now, so maybe that will help.

    Any advice for doing skirmishes solo? They really seem to favour classes that can more effectively deal with multiple mobs.
    I have three Hunters. Two of them use Protectors, one uses an Herbalist. I'm happiest with the Herbalist, but that's also the lowest-level Hunter, and skirmishes are very easy from level 30 to 39. They get much harder at 40+.

    Generally I'll hit the boss with Barbed Arrow and then fear him with Bard's Arrow. Burn the rest of the pull down. Works fine on everything except encounters. The success of encounters is very much dependent on the Hunter getting a crit and the boss not getting one. In other words, I haven't found a reliable method of dealing with encounter bosses. My Guardian, OTOH, just beats them to death with his shield while holding his sword behind his back....
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Beldacar View Post
    The success of encounters is very much dependent on the Hunter getting a crit and the boss not getting one. In other words, I haven't found a reliable method of dealing with encounter bosses. My Guardian, OTOH, just beats them to death with his shield while holding his sword behind his back....
    My Protector can tank most elite level 65 encounter mobs until they're down to at least 1/3 HP before he croaks, sometimes longer if I use Bard's Arrow when it's up to allow him to regen a bit. I haven't had a single problem with an encounter up until this evening when I didn't know that Kufit (sp?) the troll in Ringwraith's Lair (I was running it at level 66 or 67, I think) was bugged and his momentum couldn't be cleared. That ended badly.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

  11. #36

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    My Protector can tank most elite level 65 encounter mobs until they're down to at least 1/3 HP before he croaks, sometimes longer if I use Bard's Arrow when it's up to allow him to regen a bit. I haven't had a single problem with an encounter up until this evening when I didn't know that Kufit (sp?) the troll in Ringwraith's Lair (I was running it at level 66 or 67, I think) was bugged and his momentum couldn't be cleared. That ended badly.
    Well, having the benefit of three different Hunters at different levels, I can say that skirmish difficulty scales pretty badly. At least for Hunters. My Elf Hunter levelled from 30 to 39 exclusively on skirmishes and was a one-elf army ... until he hit 40 and started dying repeatedly on encounters. He's now 47 and still has some difficulties with encounters (though not completing the actual skirmish).

    My Dwarf Hunter is 31, with a very different build than my Elf, and is still finding skirmishes easy at that level. I mean ridiculously easy.

    Conversely, my Hobbit Hunter started skirmishes at 45 and had all sorts of problems. I thought it was because of an underlevelled soldier, but even after getting the soldier up to speed encounters usually ended disastrously. Now he's 57 and does fine with almost everything, except a few encounters where it almost invariably comes down to the last couple of blows: if he crits, the boss dies; if he misses, he dies. I suspect difficulty will drop fairly dramatically when he hits 58, as he'll be getting all the guild auto-crit armor and jewelry upgrades.

    I can't quite put my finger on what the issue is with the 40s, though. Either the encounter boss morale is scaling up faster than my Hunters' morale, or the damage output is. Or both.

    Note, I also have a 57 Guardian and he has never had a problem at any level between 45 and 57. There was a ramp-up in difficulty, but it was nowhere near as steep as the Hunters' ramp-up.
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    779

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    My conclusion after skirmishing a lot is the Sage does the most damage, I think its because the all the Sage's damage is uncommon, where as mobs tend to have higher mitigation to common damage. And the sage doesn't really die as easily as one might think and there are AOE attacks so I let it tank while I peel off the mobs one by one. It is alsoo smart enough to trap and then move away. I routinely see damage in the 300-450 range for my Sage at level 11.
    Last edited by princekobi; May 20 2010 at 07:12 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000005054d/01006/signature.png]Kobiriel[/charsig]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/kobiriel]My Champ[/url] [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/kobireth]My Lore Master[/url] [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/kobirella]My Hunter[/url] [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/meneldor/kobiyashi]My Rune Keeper[/url]

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Beldacar View Post
    I can't quite put my finger on what the issue is with the 40s, though. Either the encounter boss morale is scaling up faster than my Hunters' morale, or the damage output is. Or both.
    That's certainly an interesting observation, for sure. I wonder what the experience have been of other classes in that level range? I have a Champ at 45, but I haven't even started skirmishing with her. I guess I should give it a try. My guess is that if other classes aren't having the difficulty that Hunters are, then no balancing will be done. JWBarry and ZC have said before that it's pretty much impossible to balance skirmishes for every single class, which is why they took away T2 and 3 skirmishes during beta until we whined and got them back.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    159

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    I find that the skirmishes are a good gauge to how well your character is built, and how well you play... at least in a soloish environment. I've been Skirmishing with hunter since lvl 37. The only times I had problems were at certain levels. If I leveled up and did another skirmish right after I would usually struggle, then realize that I either had a new class slot, legendary slot, skirmish skill slot, etc. Make sure you are utilizing everything you can at the level your at. Also, at key levels you get a new batch of armor and jewelry that I notice makes a big difference.

    As far as my soldier, I roll with a Banner Guard. He does decent damage, tanks surprisingly well because if he sends me one heal he takes aggro from everyone besides the person I'm burning down or in the case of an Elite I can usually burn him down half health before he gets into melee then bard or COTP and let me and the guard regen for a minute. Then burn them down hard. If I get into a critical health.... 33-35% health I can usually just BN and let the Banner Guard take some shots. I don't use any of my crafted traps in on level tier 1 skirmishes. Tier II is a different story.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Irvine
    Posts
    3,559

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    I picked the Bannerguard as well. Sorta wish I didn't, though. He doesn't hold aggro long, his heal is pretty measly, and his DPS is pretty lousy too. I think a specialized soldier would be better. I get through T2 skirms just fine, but he doesn't help much to speed things along.
    Last edited by Rainyman; May 21 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]

  16. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    437

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    I have a Protector at rank 18 with most of the skills there as well (so he's pretty much complete) and he can survive encounters and keep aggro all the way. But he's completely useless in dps. I'm trying a herbalist (I know, it does no dps :P) because I saw they had a power heal. It's still pretty low rank (8 I think) with skills around 6 and I can kill encounters without worrying about dying. The power heal is nice, though it's still a bit low.
    What I did notice though is that the herbalist often wasted heals on herself even though she was at full health/power.
    BTW, one rank of ICPR is absolutely awesome. For any pet.
    [url]http://newgamelist.com[/url]
    Ever wanted a simple site to check which video games come out and what they are without having to look around cluttered sites? Also shows daily game sales from popular distributors in one place.

  17. #42

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    For solo skirms, go with a bannerguard, and trait so your inductions can't be knocked back. You will be pretty much unstoppable once your bannerguard is leveled to say around ~50 in its skills.

    Only mob I've had trouble with (but still defeated) was Kufit (sp?) in Assault on the Ringwraiths' because of his self buff that adds to attack speed/damage - and that I have cruddy jewelry.
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Viloxus View Post
    Only mob I've had trouble with (but still defeated) was Kufit (sp?) in Assault on the Ringwraiths' because of his self buff that adds to attack speed/damage - and that I have cruddy jewelry.
    Yeah, that's a bug actually. Momentum is supposed to clear when you fear or stun him, but it doesn't. So he just keeps building and building. I didn't realize what was happening until my Protector was dead and he turned around and hit me for 1200 twice. lol.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by princekobi View Post
    My conclusion after skirmishing a lot is the Sage does the most damage, I think its because the all the Sage's damage is uncommon, where as mobs tend to have higher mitigation to common damage. And the sage doesn't really die as easily as one might think and there are AOE attacks so I let it tank while I peel off the mobs one by one. It is alsoo smart enough to trap and then move away. I routinely see damage in the 300-450 range for my Sage at level 11.
    My hunter hit level 27 last night and will get to 30 this weekend. I've been waivering on which soldier to use but seeing this comment has swayed me to Sage. I have a protector with my LM and an herbalist with my champ...both work well with those classes. The Sage's AoE and uncommon damage is pretty nice, along with the debuff. I really, really want to try a different soldier so I think I'm going with this.

  20. #45

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by thecman02 View Post
    I find that the skirmishes are a good gauge to how well your character is built, and how well you play... at least in a soloish environment. I've been Skirmishing with hunter since lvl 37. The only times I had problems were at certain levels. If I leveled up and did another skirmish right after I would usually struggle, then realize that I either had a new class slot, legendary slot, skirmish skill slot, etc. Make sure you are utilizing everything you can at the level your at. Also, at key levels you get a new batch of armor and jewelry that I notice makes a big difference.
    Well, for a Hunter that's certainly true. For a Guardian, not so much. My Dwarf Guardian is traited for shield use (3 Class, 1 Race, 1 Legendary) with not a single trait in Keen Blade (the Overpower stance enhancement line) and he can switch to his great sword, turn on Overpower mode, and plow through the skirmishes just fine. He could probably finish most skirmishes if I removed all his traits and forgot to add new ones. To put it simply, the difference in challenge level between a Hunter and a Guardian is like night and day.

    As far as my soldier, I roll with a Banner Guard. He does decent damage, tanks surprisingly well because if he sends me one heal he takes aggro from everyone besides the person I'm burning down or in the case of an Elite I can usually burn him down half health before he gets into melee then bard or COTP and let me and the guard regen for a minute. Then burn them down hard. If I get into a critical health.... 33-35% health I can usually just BN and let the Banner Guard take some shots. I don't use any of my crafted traps in on level tier 1 skirmishes. Tier II is a different story.
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    722

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by thecman02 View Post
    I find that the skirmishes are a good gauge to how well your character is built, and how well you play... at least in a soloish environment. I've been Skirmishing with hunter since lvl 37. The only times I had problems were at certain levels. If I leveled up and did another skirmish right after I would usually struggle, then realize that I either had a new class slot, legendary slot, skirmish skill slot, etc. Make sure you are utilizing everything you can at the level your at. Also, at key levels you get a new batch of armor and jewelry that I notice makes a big difference.
    I think there is a vast difference between starting skirmishes at level 37, when the soldier is almost on-level, to starting at 58 (where I did) with a vastly under-leveled soldier.

    At least now I've found a skirmish that works for me to level my soldier. As she gets up a bit, I'll go back and try some of the less hunter-friendly skirmishes.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    I think there is a vast difference between starting skirmishes at level 37, when the soldier is almost on-level, to starting at 58 (where I did) with a vastly under-leveled soldier.

    At least now I've found a skirmish that works for me to level my soldier. As she gets up a bit, I'll go back and try some of the less hunter-friendly skirmishes.
    QFT!!!!

    My herbalist (albeit bugged at launch) was very little support for my level 60+ champ at the launch of Mirkwood. I would suspect that non-healing soldiers would be far less effective when if you start off since the gap in abilities is quite great between a level 50+ player and a level 30ish soldier.

    This system is meant to grow with us, and some that skip skirmishes until the later levels will have great difficulty getting started. I have a mini and RK that I started skirmishing at level 30 and it was very easy to get their soldiers above level (and quite dominant).

    If you start small...under level skirmishes for instance...you can complete a few of the lieutenant deeds for 5 kills relatively quickly. You can feasibly acquire a decent amount of SM's in short order.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    159

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    I think there is a vast difference between starting skirmishes at level 37, when the soldier is almost on-level, to starting at 58 (where I did) with a vastly under-leveled soldier.

    At least now I've found a skirmish that works for me to level my soldier. As she gets up a bit, I'll go back and try some of the less hunter-friendly skirmishes.
    Yeah sorry. I guess I was just talking in more of a general sense. In your case I would avoid all skirmishes where you are solely reliant on your soldier for support. Fighting Amon Sul or Bruinen Ford, siege of Gondamon seem to be a little more friendly. Also like I've read many other people late to the game, changing the level to a lower level, will make it much easier even though you'll get much less skirmish marks.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    722

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by thecman02 View Post
    Yeah sorry. I guess I was just talking in more of a general sense. In your case I would avoid all skirmishes where you are solely reliant on your soldier for support. Fighting Amon Sul or Bruinen Ford, siege of Gondamon seem to be a little more friendly. Also like I've read many other people late to the game, changing the level to a lower level, will make it much easier even though you'll get much less skirmish marks.
    I've found that the Ford of Bruinen skirmish suits me nicely. I just stand, focus, pew pew, repeat.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    100

    Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

    I don't like skirmishes and had been avoiding them, but the Volume 2, Book 9 and Volume 3, Book 1 epics forced me to skirmish. I have found that simply doing the skirmishes in those books will help you get your soldier up to speed. My bannerman is still underleveled, but he's 50something now thanks to them alone.

    The 3.1.x skirmish was surprisingly easy for my hunter. I am tempted to rinse and repeat that one if I can.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload