We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skirmishes and Hunters

My hunter has been on the self for awhile, but I've started working him again. Tried my first skirmish on him the other night (he was level 58). I went for Thievery and Mischief, because I enjoy doing that one on my LM (it's quite easy on my LM with a bannerguard, even when the soldier was not leveled).

Anyway, I went herbalist for the hunter since he lacks healing, but maybe I goofed. So, I almost died on the first pull at the south gate. I think I had 4 mobs total. I had to kite while my cooldowns ticked off. Then, the counterattack at the AH sent a stormcrow and three adds. More kiting and fears on the dumb bird.

I bailed after that, it was just not fun for me.

I have some peerless triple traps now, so maybe that will help.

Any advice for doing skirmishes solo? They really seem to favour classes that can more effectively deal with multiple mobs.

Re: Skirmishes and Hunters

I run with a Protector and don't have any issues. Make sure he is leveled to the appropriate level and trait him for threat. He can be a bit slow to respond, so make sure you you slot his Command button to point him in the right direction. Do that, and you should be golden.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000114ecf/signature.png]Thuarval[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    They really seem to favour classes that can more effectively deal with multiple mobs.
    Yes. They do.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000002964/01002/signature.png]Cassandra[/charsig]

[url]http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/cassandra[/url]

If you're running with an herbalist, don't AOE anything. Just kill one target at a time. As soon as the soldier tosses its first heal on you, it'll get aggro on all the ones you haven't touched.

Put some points into the herbalist's melee defense or armor so it can stay alive and just let it tank everything while you peel off one at a time.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

Pariah uses a herbalist w/ good results (I prefer a bannerhoochie).

First things first:
    Have you invested much into your hunters soldier? If not, I'd run a few lower level tier 1s if you're having issues w/ @ level until Herbie can handle him/herself. 'Herbalist tanking' is very viable, but you'll need some dings on him/her to get up there.

After that:
    CC is solo skirms is hella awesome. You can CC almost everything. definitely slow BA and RoT, bring some crafted traps. Until your soldier is holding his/her own, maybe consider slotting combat traps and strong intimidation from Trapper of Foes. That'll avoid the damage penalties, but give you in-combat traps and 5s longer fear on both BA and CotP. Don't forget about CotP! There's alot of wolves, bears, lynx, wargs in some of the skirms.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

I used to use herbalist, and all the skirmishes were really easy (until I tried T3 in the rift... lol I failed misreably in that), but it was kinda slow. I switched to a warrior, and I kill stuff a lot faster. He's hardly even leveled at all.

The key is to trait Needful Haste so when you use it inductions aren't set back by hits.
    [COLOR=red]Ulygar, rank 8 blackarrow, Nimrodel server[/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000e76be/01007/signature.png]Brangdha[/charsig]
    [URL="http://brangdha.mybrute.com"]Bored? Come Play Here![/URL] [URL="http://mybrute.com/team/178260"]Join my clan![/URL]

Some good advice here. Thanks.

The catch-22 is in order to level my soldier, I need to do the skirmishes, but to do the skirmishes, I need to level my soldier.

Dropping the skirmish level (as someone suggested) may be a good idea. Skirmish marks will accumulate more slowly, but at least they'll accumulate.

I used to use an herbalist, went to an archer soldier.

I never died with an herbalist because I'd just kite if I got into trouble... but with an archer soldier, most stuff dies fast enough I don't have to kite. I prefer an archer to my herbalist even with the archer not as highly ranked up as the herbalist was. GOGOGOGO archer =)

I should say though, I use all the food/pots/chants/oils/clickies and I usually run my skirms at 630+ agil, and maxed or 641 vitality. my survivability is higher than average. I just choose to burn through stuff faster than have my soldier not do any DPS output
    [CENTER][FONT=Garamond][B][COLOR=#424242]« [COLOR=#FF0000]S[/COLOR]eyz [COLOR=#FF0000]V[/COLOR]anguard - R14 »[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042040000000a4551/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

I personally prefer sage. I they put a nice -15% attack speed debuff on enemies all the time, have a root, and do some okay aoe damage.

best way for tier 1 and 2 skirmishes imo is to just DPS stuff down before it gets to you.

I would try a skirmish like stand at amon sul, I find the first and third counterattacks of thievery and mischief to be really hard on most of my classes.
    [CENTER][COLOR=darkorange][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000006ee8d/signature.png]Aejethirn[/charsig][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=darkorange]Brandywine:[/COLOR] [COLOR=deepskyblue]Aejethirn (r7 Hunter), Elzzar (r6 Rune-keeper), Festan (r6 Burglar), Feladr[/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=deepskyblue](r5 Loremaster), Chedd (r4 Guardian), Peribald (r0 Warden (not pvp-ing with this guy)).[/COLOR] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=darkorange]Elendilmir:[/COLOR][COLOR=deepskyblue]Aurthur (r4 Champion), Uvario (r0 Burglar) [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I support Herbalists but as mentioned you really have to put some points into them for them to shine. Until then your probably yelling at your computer screen telling your Herbalist, "HEAL ME DAMN YOU! YOU HAVE A FULL BAR OF POWER AND I HAVE BELOW HALF MORALE!"

Maybe it was just me when this happened

Once you put points into them (skills hitting lvl 12 and all at least) your little Herbalist will be a healing machine with good results and tanks what ever you opt to not touch.

Bannerguards errrrrrr sorry. Rephrase. Bannerhoochies are fun to. They off heal at a lesser extent than Herbalists but have more dishing of damage to help you kill faster.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

I run with a ranked up Protector (he's the equivalent of 65 or 66 now) and have no issues. Every once in awhile if a lot of my CC misses, I have to low cut and kite around and there are still certain mobs that I have issues with (Fire Grims in Dannenglor), but for the most part, careful planning with traps, Rain of Thorns, and liberal use of Bard's Arrow always gets me through skirmishes relatively unscathed.
    Lately I've been duoing a lot with my husband's Champ and we're breezing through them too. It's been a lot of fun.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    I run with a ranked up Protector (he's the equivalent of 65 or 66 now) and have no issues. Every once in awhile if a lot of my CC misses, I have to low cut and kite around and there are still certain mobs that I have issues with (Fire Grims in Dannenglor), but for the most part, careful planning with traps, Rain of Thorns, and liberal use of Bard's Arrow always gets me through skirmishes relatively unscathed.
    Lately I've been duoing a lot with my husband's Champ and we're breezing through them too. It's been a lot of fun.
    Fire Grims? Hmmm. Or do you mean the little Light Balls that float around burning you?

I hate those little balls of light lol.

The only reason they suck barnicles is the increased Miss % they give when in melee to them.

Honestly the only Fire Grims I can think of are in the Rift Skirmish and thats an optional side quest boss.

Duoing is SWEET! Its nice they have it set for solo, duo, trio, full fship and raid format Skirms.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Once you get Bard's Arrow Skirmishes are a piece of cake. Just fear the Ls and bow down the easier ones. Amon Sul is also great for a hunter because you can stand in a perfect spot and get all 6 buffs. That's a 50% damage bonus. Also, there is enough pause between most the waves that you can run in SS.

But I do agree that pre bards arrow they can be rough.

My first time with my hunter I tried Herbie, and didn't like it (levling them may help). Tried protector second time and it worked great. I have 3 hutners across the servers now tht are all skirmish level and they all use portector, love it. Probably just personal pref and playstyle.

My protector was sturdy enough right off the bat to hold things, even when drastically below level. I found him easier to level up due to this reason. Adn with their AoE taunts, they tend to hold aggro on all teh mobs, while i pick them off 1 @ a time.

Ran a raid skirmish the other week with kin (12 man thievery, fun stuff!), and one of the kinnies level 65 or so protector kept pulling aggro off of my guard (OP stance but all the same holy crud!). High level protectors are walking tanks, and very appropriate for a DPS class.

I dont' feel skirmishes are designed for toons with AoE skills as much as they are designed to force you to understand your soldiers abilities, and use them to your advantage, as well as to compiment your class design. Each soldier has strengths and weaknesses, and in one way or another can help with AoE aggro/handling multiple mobs. Whether its healing you while you plunk away, or CC'ing them as the sage will, or tanking them like the protecor, or holding aggro champ style like the warrior...find one that suits you well and learn them. For me it was the protector
    My alternate Personality is Elyxthaxzus. Plz dont confuse us, were actually quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kannos1600 View Post
    Fire Grims? Hmmm. Or do you mean the little Light Balls that float around burning you?

I hate those little balls of light lol.

The only reason they suck barnicles is the increased Miss % they give when in melee to them.

Honestly the only Fire Grims I can think of are in the Rift Skirmish and thats an optional side quest boss.

Duoing is SWEET! Its nice they have it set for solo, duo, trio, full fship and raid format Skirms.
    I dunno what they're called.... but they do a nasty DoT and they're definitely orange balls of fire. If I get a couple on me at a time and then my Protector dies and I end up tanking a Lt too, I'm toast.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

They really seem to favour classes that can more effectively deal with multiple mobs.
    Yeah, so?

Hunter's have a **** load of CC abilities so that shouldn't be a challenge (for on-level Tier 1 skirmishes, at any rate).

But I do agree that it takes some decent leveling of the Herbalist to be useful. Mine is level ~61 and is only now capable of healing me through Elite Encounters. Prior to that I would have to kite a little and wait for the Herbalist to heal me up before finishing the Elite off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kannos1600
    I support Herbalists but as mentioned you really have to put some points into them for them to shine. Until then your probably yelling at your computer screen telling your Herbalist, "HEAL ME DAMN YOU! YOU HAVE A FULL BAR OF POWER AND I HAVE BELOW HALF MORALE!"
    This is not a leveling issue, IMO. The only thing leveling does it make the heals bigger so you don't notice as much.

This is an AI issue. The soldiers only attack under certain circumstances. It's more noticeable on the Herbalist because, since they don't attack anyway, they just stand their doing nothing and they tend to follow behind you (out of range of what you are shooting). So you really need to be on the ball with your directed attack. If you force the Herbalist to attack, it will start healing.

Simple example: the NPC has aggro and is getting the snot beat out of him. You are at max Hunter range shooting at stuff (but don't have aggro yet). The Herbalist will NOT heal the NPC because it doesn't consider itself to be in combat and you are not getting hit. In this situation you must:

• Get hit yourself.
    • Run the Herbalist into combat range.
    • Get the herbalist hit (REALLY hard if it's not healing).
    • Or direct the Herbalist to "attack".

There's a pretty big thread on the forums about the Herbalist's shortcomings. The problem applies to all soldiers, but it does not affect them as much because they tend to be in aggro range more often. The combo of a ranged class and Herbalist really points out the problems.
    [CENTER][COLOR="PaleGreen"]Explorer 100%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Achiever 67%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Yellow"]Socializer 33%[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Red"]Killer 13%[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Hunter's have a **** load of CC abilities so that shouldn't be a challenge (for on-level Tier 1 skirmishes, at any rate).
    Yes and no. The cooldowns are long enough on traps and rain of thorns that with two waves of counterattack, it could be tough. I'm not decked out on a full set of traps anymore. I only had superior triple traps (for level 50 mobs) last time. A kinmate sent me some peerless now, which should help. I'll trait in-combat traps next time, but again, longish cooldowns.

I guess part of the problem is that skirmishes require a play style on the hunter that I'm not accustomed to, which will take some adjustment on my part.

I have best luck with a protector. I have him agrro everythng and then I just peel one off at a time. Easy! Also it helps to send the LT's running with BA.

By the way - I have noticed a big difference in performance getting my protector up to my level (65). Helps a ton but took some skirmish marks to get him there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000040366/signature.png]Evad[/charsig]
    [color=silver][i]"Intelligence is my bow, cunning are my arrows, and wisdom is my armor"[/i][/color]
    [color=lightgreen][b]If you experience a lag spike in real life, would you notice?[/b][/color]

I use an herbalist in skirmishes and don't have much of a problem at all with elite encounters in Tier 1. The only elite that's ever given me trouble is Ruingalad in Danneglor, like everyone else--and it just took one more try using Bard's Arrow every time it was up (and some occasional other kiting) to take it down. Okay, the dragon elite in the Rift also smoked me the first try, until I learned to run even farther away (or behind it) when it started using one of its abilities.

My Hunter is 65, with only a level 56 Herbalist (rank 9). I use Refreshing Herbs, Herbs of Boundless Endurance, and Ultimate: Words of Healing, all at rank 9. I used to use the 4th healing skill, but I switched it out for Nature's Power (only rank 6) to reduce my downtime. I also have Healing Done at rank 9, but that's the highest of the Training traits. In terms of my gear, I don't raid at all, or even do much grouping in LOTRO; all my gear is crafted, quested, or reputation. Oh, and although I recently switched to a 65 TA bow, even with my 60 SA crossbow I was doing fine with this same Herbalist setup.

Maybe I'm just lucky that my Herbalist's AI is usually cooperative; she is always casting on me in combat. The only thing I have to deal with is leaving her far behind, but she usually catches up mid-fight.

Anyway, my point wasn't to claim superiority or anything, just that even a relatively low level Herbalist is still good enough for at least one Hunter's level 65 skirmishes and every Elite so far. Is it as fast as a Bannerguard or other soldiers? I'm sure it's not, but it seems fast enough to me. I would definitely need to level it up more to run Tier 2, but I'm happy with my skirmish mark rates right now.

I also had trouble at first and my trick was to run skirmishes at lower levels until you can get a properly leveled soldier. As a hunter with castbars, anytime there's 2-3 mobs whacking at your face, you're gonna be hard-pressed. The soldier makes all the difference here.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin_of_Freyr View Post
    I used to use an herbalist, went to an archer soldier.

I never died with an herbalist because I'd just kite if I got into trouble... but with an archer soldier, most stuff dies fast enough I don't have to kite. I prefer an archer to my herbalist even with the archer not as highly ranked up as the herbalist was. GOGOGOGO archer =)

I should say though, I use all the food/pots/chants/oils/clickies and I usually run my skirms at 630+ agil, and maxed or 641 vitality. my survivability is higher than average. I just choose to burn through stuff faster than have my soldier not do any DPS output
    LOL this is exactly what I did I need to lvl the archer though :/
    Zekorr hnt-r9 (brandy) ~ Backstabzz burg-r8 ~ Cashout grd-r7~ Arkorz warg-r7 ~ Zekor ba-r6 ~Bashr rvr-r7

-Gladden

i have to say that my herbalist is a machine. they start off slow and you have to lvl them but once you do they are a tank on their own.

mine is at like lvl 17 now and when she was at 14 or 15 she tanked a LT all by herself that my daughter aggroed while i was away. in fact she was not even at half health when i got back.

herbs take a bit of doing to get going. the big key is getting her outgoing healing up. i think mine is over 1000 now.

i like my protector as well on my RK. i had a banner guy for my burg and well i didn't like him and switched him out for a herb as well.

Any "heavy" soldier (I include warriors, even though they're really medium armour) is a perfect hunter companion. Doesn't have to be a protector to get all the aggro and tank for you (see key point below). I use a bannergirl, and she works absolutely fine too (but if it weren't such a pain to level them up to all 20s, I'd prolly switch to a warrior for the extra dps).

KEY POINT: send the soldier in first...they then have ALL the aggro. You just pull one mob at a time and kill it. I've even gotten pretty good at timing my first shot to hit JUST after the soldier gets the mobs' attention (and aggro). When your soldier is brand new, you'll be able to kill one or two of the mobs before your soldier dies. Once you have it leveled, you can kill them all and your soldier will still be standing there.

Easy peasy, don't even need to use the plethora of hunter cc skills (traps, bard's arrow, rain of thorns, distracting shot, etc), so it doesn't matter if they're on cooldown. Pull away! (by sending your soldier in first)

EDIT: When you're really rocking on an offensive skirmish like Thievery & Mischief, you'll be able to progress from fight to fight pretty fast, like maybe a new pull every 30 seconds or so. That's faster than the 1minute cooldown on the soldier command to "go in there, grab all the aggro, and make me proud!" heehee. So I would find myself just using my CC skills on a smaller pull of 2 or 3 mobs, and saving my soldier attack command for the larger groups of 4 or more. That way you're never having to stand still and wait.
    Last edited by Angadan; Apr 26 2010 at 08:48 AM.

I run with a Warrior for speed and it works great. The only problem I have is staying awake when I am soloing a bunch of skirms in a row

Precision stance/strength of the earth keeps my DPS cranking through the waves/clears. Strength stance/low cut/kiting makes encounters a cakewalk.

Hope that helps...
    Silesia - Hunter, Celedain - Lore-master, Eardorwyn - Minstrel

mistrel1970 is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Hero of the Small Folk

Some good advice here. Thanks.

The catch-22 is in order to level my soldier, I need to do the skirmishes, but to do the skirmishes, I need to level my soldier.

Dropping the skirmish level (as someone suggested) may be a good idea. Skirmish marks will accumulate more slowly, but at least they'll accumulate.
    This is exactly what I did to level up my soldier. I would start with the skirmish level about 5 under. that way I still got some SM but did not wipe. I'd spend marks to raise my soldier then up the skirmish level 1 at a time until I get to full level. I do the same with my warden.
    Andirien and Saelarwen on Gladden
    Adirien, Andiria, Andirien, and Fanoraen on Brandywine
    Adanarien, Aedanwen, Andiralen, Andirawen, Angraroth, and Asina on Crickhollow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast