We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Death of a Metalworker

After coming back to the game and leveling up another toon (I have several level 50's and lvl 63 Captain) I have been making Heavy armor for my Champion friend as we are leveling up. I have been pleased so far with the experience until I got ready to attempt Polished armor at level 50. When the level cap was 50 to crit this armor for "Mirrored" was the best you could get and I remember failing the crit an average of 30% on one piece it took me 6 tries and 6 beryl shards. But that was a fluke.

Imagine my surprise when I find out they have changed the Crit ingredient for Polished armor to a Metalworking Grand Master Scroll that is a single use scholar recipe that also requires a beryl shard! I have been checking the AH for a week and I haven't found a single one listed for sell.

I fail to see the reasoning to this change, you will be replacing this armor by level 54 or with Rift Armor so it just seems like an incredible waste of time and gold to attempt.

Re: Death of a Metalworker

Most people do not do it this way. They join the metal workers guild. Run the guaranteed critical result recipe that always give a mirrored piece as output.

Back in Shadows of Angmar, there was no critical item. You had to collect three beryl shards, the materials, and three recipes. Pray you critted one. Later on Turbine added the critical item of the scroll. People would expend two beryl shards. Two one shot recipes. The metalworker critical item recipe is a one shot. Take a RNG with a higher chance of a critical result

With the creation of the guaranteed critical result recipes, very few people run the one shots any more. Hence there is zero market for the scrolls. People do not run the one shots any more.

I really needed a bunch of mirrored. I could find enough guilded metal workers to churn the pieces out in a timely fashion. There is little point to it since mirror armour is no longer the crafted armor for a level capped character.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 13 2010 at 11:46 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Thanks for explaining that, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Digits View Post
    I fail to see the reasoning to this change, you will be replacing this armor by level 54 or with Rift Armor so it just seems like an incredible waste of time and gold to attempt.
    To me the bigger issue was making the Mirrored armour Level 50, as opposed to Level 47/48. At least at Level 47, you would get use out of it, but now I find that the Level 51 armour is just as good as the Level 50 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Most people do not do it this way. They join the metal workers guild. Run the guaranteed critical result recipe that always give a mirrored piece as output.
    This.
    Krysfaerun (100 Minstrel), Wyrana (100 Guardian), Krysfrune (100 Rune-Keeper), Voxmoney (32 Warden), Merrykrysmas (38 Burglar) - Vox Immortalis
    Krysbruin (61 Beorning) - Hammer of Wrath
    Manlyman (41 Captain) - Tappa Kegga Dae

Quote Originally Posted by Fruinjuice View Post
    To me the bigger issue was making the Mirrored armour Level 50, as opposed to Level 47/48. At least at Level 47, you would get use out of it, but now I find that the Level 51 armour is just as good as the Level 50 stuff.
    Mirrored only made sense when the level cap was 50. You get long term use out of it.

The critical result burnished armour from the multi-user recipe was a good choice even the level cap was 50. Jump from that to rift armour. Once they raised the level cap, there was no justification in ever making mirrored armour. You were going to out grow it. You did not need the stats while you were leveling up. Pound out a set of burnished upgrade later on.

There plenty of fancy stuff to buy for a level 65. Assuming you got the gold for it. The desire to have the stuff. Save your money. I could find yourself like I did with my minstrel. Went from 55 to 60 in six days. I have four of so hours a night. My burglar buddy was available. We went on a roll doing quests that generate experience points were quick to do.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.