We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain Skill Suggestions

Cry of Vengeance: This rez is often a cause of frustration for our allies because they have so little morale and power when they come back up that they often get killed again within a couple of seconds.
    Suggestion: Cry of Vengeance bring allies back up with a little more morale and power.

Noble mark:The threat over time aspect of this skill is of use, though it could stand to be a little stronger.
    The DPS aspect is usually of little use since we already have a mark (Telling Mark) which performs that function far better. "Noble's Mark does ~149 damage over the course of two minutes. It is 1.25 DPS added to our autoattack damage... For comparison's sake, the weapons you receive in the newbie instance are over 3 dps. " (Eofred)

Suggestion: Leave the threat over time component. Change the DoT out for a Power return perhaps? Or for something like dread which we apply to a mob. A Light that effects mobs/creeps the way Dread affects us.

Shadows Lament:It's an on defeat skill, but usually hits for so little. It could stand to do a little more damage.

Morale teeter-totter: Our fellowship constantly moves in and out of range of our Banners and Heralds. This makes their morale keep dropping off as if blasted every few seconds by a massive AOE. At level 65 this is ~1000 morale to every member of the fellowship, for no reason other than "technical difficulties".
    Suggestion: Make it so that after moving out of range of the Banner or Herald, the morale buff is not lost for 10 seconds.

Banner Expiration: They expire but don't have a countdown timer. Please add a timer so we can see when they will need to be replaced.
    Better yet - they shouldn't expire. What - are they made of snow and melt on us? Kidding : )
    Suggestion: Make the banner disappear when we move 50m away, or when placing a different banner. Otherwise they should not expire.

Banner of War level 60 critted version: Needs to be fixed to provide an improvement over the lower level banner, which it is presently identical to.
    Also, as kevinbal pointed out, the buff to might/agility becomes ineffective as people reach the cap on those stats.

Suggestion: Perhaps the Banner of War instead could add a small +chance to hit, or +%damage dealt, or -%attack duration.

Herald/Banner +1 hope: Please make these stackable with hope tokens, but not with other captains or minstrels. So we can add +1 per fellowship on top of any hope from a token, rather than our contribution being rendered null when a token is used.

Normal Herald Speed: Is there a reason why our heralds can't move as quickly as we do, and must fall behind us? It would be very nice if they kept pace with us.

Archer: These don't provide buffs for the group like our heralds do. We already have a Herald of War for increased DPS which provides increases to everyone in the fellowship, as well as a chance to stun, and a heal.

Suggestion: When the Archer skill is gained perhaps our Heralds of Hope, Victory, and War could at that point be able to swap to ranged stance when out of combat.

The amount of DPS these Heralds would do ranged could remain identical to what it was melee, or perhaps be slightly more (because of the higher level)
    They could provide the same buffs to Captain and fellows as the present Heralds do.

Ranged stance would only be different in that the skills Coordinated Attack and Infuriating Tactics would be swapped out for Sure Aim and Barbed Arrows.

Evasion is minimally useful and could be removed. Lend Will could be retained in it's place.

Separate Suggestion: Since the Archer doesn't move while shooting we lose them when we're on the move. It would be nice if they were able to shoot while moving.

Time of need: The costs and cooldown of this skill are out of balance compared to the benefit derived.
    Maybe morale cost could be changed from the percent of max morale to a fixed morale cost in the range of 500 - 600.

Blood of Numenor: "...should change the use Escape from Darkness 100 times trait requirement as it's an in combat rez skill on a 30 minute timer ... Currently it takes at least 3000 minutes to get this trait, and that is IF someone could use their in combat rez every half hour without waiting. And typically that isn't the case." (Elsydeon)
    "Wow, I was just posting the same sort of thing on another thread. Great minds mate. It needs to come down to 50 imho. What do you think?" (Lord Flashard)
    We also take longer to reach that many rezes because we are keeping people from dying quite often with our buffs, healing, last stand+in harms way, and shield brother.

In Defence of Middle Earth: We get this at level 45 and it scales until level 50... but after that it doesn't scale at all. So it's no better at level 65 than it was at 50.
    Also, the need to re-apply every 5 min is an annoyance. Doing that via Legacy seems like a waste of a Legacy slot, and leaves the nuissance in place for everyone else.
    Suggestion: Please extend the duration of this buff or maybe make it an aura since we keep this up at all times anyhow.

Grave wound: This is one way we are supposed to be able to generate some aggro, but it only works when "dealt to a foe bleeding from your Cutting Attack". Cutting Attack has a 20sec cooldown. Grave Wound's cooldown is 30sec.
    Suggestion: Make the timer match that of Cutting Attack.

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
    When untraited this skill removes your Cutting Attack bleed effect and has low damage output. When traited it does generate aggro for a temporary time but generates little to no threat in doing so.

Suggestion: When grave wound is applied to a bleeding mob it either
    1. Stacks an additional DoT to the mob, or
    2. Adds a debuff to the mob which increases bleed damage taken by a small +% for 30 seconds.

In Harms Way: At the current 50% we have to sadly watch people die even when we jump in front of the bullet for them.

Suggestion: Increase to ~65% or make it a single target full absorb.

Power: Captains continue to see imbalanced, excessively high rate of power consumption, though for some it seems to be a bit better. Captains do still seem to be one of the first to run out of power, as our Loremasters can attest to.

Suggestion: A small reduction in the base power cost of some/any of these skills would help: Devastating Blow, Pressing Attack, Blade of Elendil, Cutting Attack, Grave Wound, Words of Courage, Inspire, To Arms, Strength of Will, and the cost of placing a Banner (which we do a lot). A little more Will on future Captain gear.

Tactic: Focus: Even maxed out this only gives +142.8 power per minute. That's 50 less than the cost of placing a banner just once. Perhaps this could be increased a little.

Improved Defensive Strike: "When attacking an opponent under the effect of the Light of Elendil you have a 25% chance of restoring some of your Power." Does this still work?

We only ever got power back 25% of the time on a Defensive Strike after the Blade of Elendil DoT was applied, which itself only occured 10% or so of the time. That means we got a tiny bit of power back 2.5% of the time, on a skill combo that at level 60 itself costs 66 + 109 power = 175 power.

Suggestion: Increase the amount of power returned by this combo, or the chance of success.
    Alternate Sugestion: Improved Defensive Strike could share our defensive buff with our shield brother. (Originally suggested by Scarecrow)

Oathbreaker Herald: These aren't nearly good enough to deserve using a legendary slot. Maybe these could be made a class trait.

Captain as buffer: More buffs that we just cast and then wait 5 min, and have to re-cast repetitively could be boring. However...

Suggestion: Melee skills and/or Shouts that give short duration buffs to our fellow's: dps, heals given, heals recieved, b/p/e, morale, hope, power; or resistances would be really nice.

Heralds with damage types: The Dwarven herald would do the same dps as presently, but instead of common damage it could be Ancient-Dwarf damage. The Man heralds could do Westernesse damage. A Elven herald could do Beleriand damage.
    History became legend, and legend became myth, and some things that should not have been forgotten were lost...

Re: Captain Skill Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by maradakia View Post
    Cry of Vengeance: This rez is often a cause of frustration for our allies because they have so little morale and power when they come back up that they often get killed again within a couple of seconds.
    Suggestion: Cry of Vengeance bring allies back up with a little more morale and power.

There is a trait for it that no one use.

Noble mark:The threat over time aspect of this skill is of use, though it could stand to be a little stronger.
    The DPS aspect is usually of little use since we already have a mark (Telling Mark) which performs that function far better. "Noble's Mark does ~149 damage over the course of two minutes. It is 1.25 DPS added to our autoattack damage... For comparison's sake, the weapons you receive in the newbie instance are over 3 dps. " (Eofred)

Suggestion: Leave the threat over time component. Change the DoT out for a Power return perhaps? Or for something like dread which we apply to a mob. A Light that effects mobs/creeps the way Dread affects us.

Why not a slow but self power drain - that way you build power and threat

Shadows Lament:It's an on defeat skill, but usually hits for so little. It could stand to do a little more damage.

indeed

Morale teeter-totter: Our fellowship constantly moves in and out of range of our Banners and Heralds. This makes their morale keep dropping off as if blasted every few seconds by a massive AOE. At level 65 this is ~1000 morale to every member of the fellowship, for no reason other than "technical difficulties".
    Suggestion: Make it so that after moving out of range of the Banner or Herald, the morale buff is not lost for 10 seconds.

No way, i think its wai just fine

Banner Expiration: They expire but don't have a countdown timer. Please add a timer so we can see when they will need to be replaced.
    Better yet - they shouldn't expire. What - are they made of snow and melt on us? Kidding : )
    Suggestion: Make the banner disappear when we move 50m away, or when placing a different banner. Otherwise they should not expire.

I've no opinion on that

Banner of War level 60 critted version: Needs to be fixed to provide an improvement over the lower level banner, which it is presently identical to.
    Also, as kevinbal pointed out, the buff to might/agility becomes ineffective as people reach the cap on those stats.

Suggestion: Perhaps the Banner of War instead could add a small +chance to hit, or +%damage dealt, or -%attack duration.

I think it already be mentionned and here my favourite -> +%dmg dealt by the fellowship.. /rolleye, but it will be to OP. Though +armor/mit/resist could work too - defense is great weapon

Herald/Banner +1 hope: Please make these stackable with hope tokens, but not with other captains or minstrels. So we can add +1 per fellowship on top of any hope from a token, rather than our contribution being rendered null when a token is used.

i would not mind that either.. but could break how the dread game is dealt, one free hope can make a difference...

Normal Herald Speed: Is there a reason why our heralds can't move as quickly as we do, and must fall behind us? It would be very nice if they kept pace with us.

No opinion there, i don't use herald and not planning to use them in a near future..

Archer: These don't provide buffs for the group like our heralds do. We already have a Herald of War for increased DPS which provides increases to everyone in the fellowship, as well as a chance to stun, and a heal.

Suggestion: When the Archer skill is gained perhaps our Heralds of Hope, Victory, and War could at that point be able to swap to ranged stance when out of combat.

The amount of DPS these Heralds would do ranged could remain identical to what it was melee, or perhaps be slightly more (because of the higher level)
    They could provide the same buffs to Captain and fellows as the present Heralds do.

Ranged stance would only be different in that the skills Coordinated Attack and Infuriating Tactics would be swapped out for Sure Aim and Barbed Arrows.

Evasion is minimally useful and could be removed. Lend Will could be retained in it's place.

Separate Suggestion: Since the Archer doesn't move while shooting we lose them when we're on the move. It would be nice if they were able to shoot while moving.

I don't use herald but i don't like that idea, its like if you want the butter, the money of the butter, the knife, and the farmer's wife, his farm.. etc etc

Time of need: The costs and cooldown of this skill are out of balance compared to the benefit derived.
    Maybe morale cost could be changed from the percent of max morale to a fixed morale cost in the range of 500 - 600.

Yeah Time of Need always sucked, its not even on my bar anymore.. I replace it with things more usefull.. like another mount clicky

Blood of Numenor: "...should change the use Escape from Darkness 100 times trait requirement as it's an in combat rez skill on a 30 minute timer ... Currently it takes at least 3000 minutes to get this trait, and that is IF someone could use their in combat rez every half hour without waiting. And typically that isn't the case." (Elsydeon)
    "Wow, I was just posting the same sort of thing on another thread. Great minds mate. It needs to come down to 50 imho. What do you think?" (Lord Flashard)
    We also take longer to reach that many rezes because we are keeping people from dying quite often with our buffs, healing, last stand+in harms way, and shield brother.

Do instance in pug, go into the moors and i tell you your deeds will be done in no time. This one was easy compared to my guardian and minstrels class traits deeding.

In Defence of Middle Earth: We get this at level 45 and it scales until level 50... but after that it doesn't scale at all. So it's no better at level 65 than it was at 50.
    Also, the need to re-apply every 5 min is an annoyance. Doing that via Legacy seems like a waste of a Legacy slot, and leaves the nuissance in place for everyone else.
    Suggestion: Please extend the duration of this buff or maybe make it an aura since we keep this up at all times anyhow.

I won't start arguing on that skill but many suggestions has been made and they are usually the same

-> Scalling
    -> Bigger timer
    -> Aura.

The only one that i would agree would be longer (timer 10 minutes instead of 5 and not from a legacy). The rest is fluff, people tasted the dope, needed their dope and now want a better dope..

Grave wound: This is one way we are supposed to be able to generate some aggro, but it only works when "dealt to a foe bleeding from your Cutting Attack". Cutting Attack has a 20sec cooldown. Grave Wound's cooldown is 30sec.

When untraited this skill removes your Cutting Attack bleed effect and has low damage output. When traited it does generate aggro for a temporary time but generates little to no threat in doing so.

2. Adds a debuff to the mob which increases bleed damage taken by a small +% for 30 seconds.

I agree more tools for the tanks

In Harms Way: At the current 50% we have to sadly watch people die even when we jump in front of the bullet for them.

It was at 100% before, fixed at 50%, i did not liked it but i understand why, it lead to abuse and came from a "oh ****" skill to a strat used to make raid content way to easy..

Power: Captains continue to see imbalanced, excessively high rate of power consumption, though for some it seems to be a bit better. Captains do still seem to be one of the first to run out of power, as our Loremasters can attest to.

Suggestion: A small reduction in the base power cost of some/any of these skills would help: Devastating Blow, Pressing Attack, Blade of Elendil, Cutting Attack, Grave Wound, Words of Courage, Inspire, To Arms, Strength of Will, and the cost of placing a Banner (which we do a lot). A little more Will on future Captain gear.

I never had power issue, i guess it depends on play style and how the stats are shuffled..

Tactic: Focus: Even maxed out this only gives +142.8 power per minute. That's 50 less than the cost of placing a banner just once. Perhaps this could be increased a little.

No opinion here.. i rarely use it

Improved Defensive Strike: "When attacking an opponent under the effect of the Light of Elendil you have a 25% chance of restoring some of your Power." Does this still work?

We only ever got power back 25% of the time on a Defensive Strike after the Blade of Elendil DoT was applied, which itself only occured 10% or so of the time. That means we got a tiny bit of power back 2.5% of the time, on a skill combo that at level 60 itself costs 66 + 109 power = 175 power.

Suggestion: Increase the amount of power returned by this combo, or the chance of success.
    Alternate Sugestion: Improved Defensive Strike could share our defensive buff with our shield brother. (Originally suggested by Scarecrow)

Agree, more power is always good

Oathbreaker Herald: These aren't nearly good enough to deserve using a legendary slot. Maybe these could be made a class trait.

But its a ghost !!! The cool factor goes up

Captain as buffer: More buffs that we just cast and then wait 5 min, and have to re-cast repetitively could be boring. However...

Suggestion: Melee skills and/or Shouts that give short duration buffs to our fellow's: dps, heals given, heals recieved, b/p/e, morale, hope, power; or resistances would be really nice.

Like the minstrel song or more like Inspire ? Either way i like that

Heralds with damage types: The Dwarven herald would do the same dps as presently, but instead of common damage it could be Ancient-Dwarf damage. The Man heralds could do Westernesse damage. A Elven herald could do Beleriand damage.

If the herald would be as fun to use/equip as the skirmish buddy i would be interested to play one.

stuff stuff stuff
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Apr 09 2010 at 11:45 AM.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

I don't have enough time right now to post on each one, but in general, I think this is a well thought out post--taking specifics and showing how just a bit of a change would make them more useful.

Thanks for taking the time to pull it all together. I really like some of these, like the short duration buffs from attacks--for instance, if we are battle hardened, why can't that extend to our fellowship...
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Originally Posted by maradakia View Post

There is a trait for it that no one use.
    Not so. Defy Corruption does not improve the moral or power level of anyone rezed by the skill. I think the base skill is fine, but it needs a trait to improve the rezed person's moral.

Why not a slow but self power drain - that way you build power and threat
    I'm pretty satisfied with the skill as it is. I don't use it for damage, and it is a useful skill all on it's own.

indeed
    Agreed

No way, i think its wai just fine
    I vote no on this one. One Rallying Cry and the banner's inherent moral regen buff quickly compensate for the moral lost.

I agree. This is particularly annoying on long boss fights.

I think it already be mentionned and here my favourite -> +%dmg dealt by the fellowship.. /rolleye, but it will be to OP. Though +armor/mit/resist could work too - defense is great weapon
    I'd like to simply see some additional scaling of the might/agility buff. 1 additional point per 2 levels. Hower, an melee/ranged crit buff for the traited Banner of War would be a nice bonus.

i would not mind that either.. but could break how the dread game is dealt, one free hope can make a difference...
    I think the hope buff should be applied like the point bought with Destiny/Hope Chains/etc. That way the trait's utility will be maintained but it will provide no more advantage than someone can get now by spending fate.

I believe this is a lag induced bug, not an inherent property of heralds. However, increasing herald movement speed by 5% would be a nice way to compensate.

I don't use herald but i don't like that idea, its like if you want the butter, the money of the butter, the knife, and the farmer's wife, his farm.. etc etc
    I'm also against this idea. The archer, as it stands, is the most useful of our pets. The biggest problems with the archer are that A: the LoM capstone trait is near useless, B: the oathbreaker armaments are functionally useless, and C: the Archer AI is not well optimized. Adjustments here would be welcome.

The Heralds are an entirely different kettle of fish. They each need adjustments to make them unique.

Yeah Time of Need always sucked, its not even on my bar anymore.. I replace it with things more usefull.. like another mount clicky
    'Nuff said.

I would not mind seeing this deed cut by half. I only finished mine after the Turtle raid was introduced, 2 years after starting my captain. Some groups I went with used a strategy of letting people die and bringing classes with LOTS of battle rezes. The best way currently to finish this deed is to get a buddy to die for you and rez them. The Lothlorien flets are a good way to get this done. Each session you can get in 3 rezez. Doing it once a day you are still looking at 33.3 days to finish the deed.

I won't start arguing on that skill but many suggestions has been made and they are usually the same

-> Scalling
    -> Bigger timer
    -> Aura.

The only one that i would agree would be longer (timer 10 minutes instead of 5 and not from a legacy). The rest is fluff, people tasted the dope, needed their dope and now want a better dope..
    The only improvement I'd like to see here is an additional half point per level past 50

I agree with the timing change and I would like the skill to NOT remove the bleed effect. I have not done the math yet, but depending on how you use Grave Wound, it might do negative net damage by removing the bleed.

However, the description displays an incomplete understanding of the Threat and Aggro mechanics. Lotro has 2 kinds of effects that can be considered "taunts", but it also has an additional mechanic called "Perceived Threat". Grave wound can operate on all of these levels depending on how you use it. Each mob has a "Threat Table" that tallies up how "threatening" you are to the mob. Normally, the person who is highest on a mob's threat table has "aggro" and is targeted by the mob. Damage done to a mob will build threat, also healing anyone in combat with a mob will build threat on its threat table.

Most taunts simply add an amount of threat to your entry on this table. For the Captain, these are skills like Threatening Shout and Noble Mark. Damage done to a mob also builds threat, and healing builds threat against every mob in the combat. Grave wound does have a straight threat component that is applied every time the skill is used. From the skill description: "You inflict a blow that calls attention to yourself in battle." That indicates that the skill has a threat component that adds to your threat on the targeted mob's threat table.

There is a second category of taunts that I like to call "forced aggro" skills. These are skills like Challenge for the Guardian and Champion's Challenge. Forced aggro skills do not necessarily build threat, they only force a mob to target you (i.e. get aggro) for a limited period of time. These are intended to give tanks a grace period for building threat. If the tank has not succeeded in getting himself to the top of the threat table by the time the forced aggro effect has expired, the mob will return to beating on the squishy. Grave Wound gains a (5 second?) forced aggro effect when a Captain traits 4 deep into Lead the Charge.

Finally, there is "perceived threat". This is an odd mechanic. When used after Cutting Attack, Grave Wound applies a 10% perceived threat. This applies a temporary 1.10 multiplier to your threat against every mob in combat with you. When you use this, you will see a buff icon pop up called "Threatening Stance" which has a relatively short duration (I don't recall what it is off the top of my head). For example, if you have 100 threat on a mob's threat table, when you activate Threatening Stance, the mob will act as though you have 110 threat on it's threat table. It perceives you as being 10% more threatening than your truly are. When the effect expires, the mobs no longer perceive that extra 10% threat. Currently, this effect is bugged and perceived threat is only being applied when the effects are changed during combat. This has little relevance to captains, but it causes problems for guards and minstrels.

I do think that this perceived threat effect should last longer, probably on the order of 1.5 minutes considering the minor improvement it brings.

It was at 100% before, fixed at 50%, i did not liked it but i understand why, it lead to abuse and came from a "oh ****" skill to a strat used to make raid content way to easy..
    I'd like to see the 3 trait LoM set bonus to be changed from the current 15% power savings to a buff to In Harms Way. I'd like that buff to allow In Harms Way to also prevent induction knock-back for the party. It would improve the wipe prevention aspects of the skill by letting the healer heal uninterrupted for 20 seconds, or to let me get Escape from Darkness off to rez the healer.

I never had power issue, i guess it depends on play style and how the stats are shuffled..
    I find that I have to have Now for Wrath traited, or else I have significant power problems. My normal ICPR is a touch over 1000 in my usual build, not including the power banner or Tactics: Focus. We could use, either a minor reduction in skill power use across the board, or an increse in power returned from Improved Defensive Strike. I feel that one of these adjustments should have happened with weapon normalization. However, I feel that the LtC 3-trait melee skill power reduction should be incresed from the current 5%. I feel that a 15% reduction is more in order. When I'm in LtC I'm already making major concessions in healing power and effeciency, I should become much more efficient at doing damage.

No, it's plenty good as it is and worlds better than it used to be. It used to be max out at about 90 power per minute.

Agree, more power is always good
    To be fair, in boss fights BoE will be running nearly 100% of the time. However, I agree that an increase of power return is in order. I don't think we should be returning more power to our shield buddy because Shield Brother already includes ICPR and ICMR.

But its a ghost !!! The cool factor goes up
    I want the oathbreaker's damage to be converted to shadow damage. That would be pretty cool in my book.

Like the minstrel song or more like Inspire ? Either way i like that
    I Like it too.

If the herald would be as fun to use/equip as the skirmish buddy i would be interested to play one.
    A little torn on this. I like the idea, but I feel it should require the LoM capstone trait in order to slot these advanced armaments, much like the oathbreaker armaments. But, the capstone trait is currently so worthless that I'd still be unlikely to slot it.

First of all - thank you Lupini for finding some good in my work : ) It actually took me many hours, as I researched each skill before writing about it, and looked through what other captains previously had to say on these subjects. I account your response as compassion and charity and it's much appreciated, hehe : )

When in response to a real effort to come up with balanced, helpful suggestions to slightly improve things like Cry of Vengeance, (which everyone in-game complains about), when people reply with things like /failzorz : P... it's just such a drag, and doesn't seem particularly useful.

Please add your creative ideas for ways to improve any skills for Captains you think would be good!

Please add your creative alternatives to the suggestions I made and collected here from other captains : )
    History became legend, and legend became myth, and some things that should not have been forgotten were lost...

Quote Originally Posted by SGWB View Post
    Not so. Defy Corruption does not improve the moral or power level of anyone rezed by the skill. I think the base skill is fine, but it needs a trait to improve the rezed person's moral.

I thought BoN or DC was doing the trick i just reread both.. darn.. these traits suck..

First of all - thank you Lupini for finding some good in my work : ) It actually took me many hours, as I researched each skill before writing about it, and looked through what other captains previously had to say on these subjects. I account your response as compassion and charity and it's much appreciated, hehe : )

When in response to a real effort to come up with balanced, helpful suggestions to slightly improve things like Cry of Vengeance, (which everyone in-game complains about), when people reply with things like /failzorz : P... it's just such a drag, and doesn't seem particularly useful.

I try to not respond only with /fail or /palmface or things. I think most of the time the ideas are great but some needs to be challenged to get the real thing or a little redo

Please add your creative ideas for ways to improve any skills for Captains you think would be good!

I stopped to do that some years ago, when i discovered that my ideas worth money, but that's just me

Please add your creative alternatives to the suggestions I made and collected here from other captains : )

I already did this, you've been cthulhu'd ! just kidding
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

I'd be down with a reduced BPE chance (maybe miss too?) for Valiant Strike. Seems like if we slot a legendary, it should have a low chance of getting BPEM'ed.

edit: to the OP - I think the negativity is just towards the suggestions themselves. Some of them are a bit overpowered is all. But you bring up some problems that should be looked at...such as the banner of war etc.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Firstly,
    *dons the Spelling Nazi hat*
    It's spelled MORALE. With an E, people. Criminy.
    *flings hat over into the corner*

I don't have any opinions on most of it, though I appreciate the effort put into it and the thought behind it. For example, our rez skills are being used in conjunction with other group members including a minstrel (you never raid without one, right?), so morale regen is aided by the efforts of your banner/herald, the mini, and anyone else who's doing healing. You should take care not to rez someone into immediate combat only to see them killed again and have to release. I mean you have almost 10 minutes on their timer right?

On the power issue, YES we need more in combat power regen. Using virtues and traits, jewelry and a power banner/herald, we can mitigate the power drain. But it's there. How many times have we been yelled at by panicked fellows for Muster Courage or Oathbreaker's Shame, only not to have the juice to swing our weapon? It's frustrating.

Will Turbine adress any of this? Who knows. The conditions are evident and we have the challenge as Captains to operate despite the situation. We do what we must.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012e209/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"He knows not to what end he rides; yet if he knew, he would still go on."[/I]

Most of these suggestions are soo senseless and useless.

P.S. Yes, reduced B\P\E chance for valiant strike would be nice.

If you'd like to contribute your own creative ideas for the betterment of the Captain class, please do.

Feel free to peruse the ideas in the original post in this thread.

Avoid the trap of just saying, agree/disagree with each idea.

If there's something you see that looks worthwhile to you, and you'd like our devs to consider it, you can add your voice and ideas about that.

If there are ideas you see that you'd like to improve upon, or have alternate things to suggest, that would be great too.

I think some are pretty good ideas.

Personally I don't understand why the devs came up with the "shield Brother" skill. It really doesn't fit the captain role. Captains should be able to inspire the whole group and not just one person. They are in fact described in the game as "masterful leaders whose commanding presence strengthens allies." if that is what we supposely are, why do we have to limit buffs like "To Arms", "Inspire" or "Strengh of Will" to one person. I woudn't mind seeing changes to those skills like increasing their cooldowns, maybe limiting damage buff to only Range and Melee only, or adjusting their power costs; if they suddenly affected the whole group.

just my 2 cents.

Most of this sounds like whining. Captains are amazing and researching skills is not quite the same as practising them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000007e90/signature.png]Esthero[/charsig]

Vertigo - 65 Captain - Pariah
    Escyndir - 65 Champion - Pariah
    Dartsk - Murder Herd

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    Personally I don't understand why the devs came up with the "shield Brother" skill. It really doesn't fit the captain role. Captains should be able to inspire the whole group and not just one person. They are in fact described in the game as "masterful leaders whose commanding presence strengthens allies." if that is what we supposely are, why do we have to limit buffs like "To Arms", "Inspire" or "Strengh of Will" to one person. I woudn't mind seeing changes to those skills like increasing their cooldowns, maybe limiting damage buff to only Range and Melee only, or adjusting their power costs; if they suddenly affected the whole group.

just my 2 cents.
    Maybe the capstone for LoM should be allowing our shield-brother skills to affect the whole fellowship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardian View Post
    You should take care not to rez someone into immediate combat only to see them killed again and have to release. I mean you have almost 10 minutes on their timer right?
    One can try this, but don't tell me you've never had someone hit the button too soon, or the melee pile moves to follow some boss with jumping beans in his pants that ends up throwing an AOE just as your person pops back in, or a bunch of worms spawn... Escape from Darkness is a bit easier that way, you can move to an area and offer the rez. CoV is generally used quickly in the location where the fight is, and getting folks to move the combat area away is quite a feat.

Honestly, given the prereq's for using CoV, I'd rather that the Blood of the Numenor trait bring back someone rez'd with CoV at improved levels, and have Escape always be at it's original version. Escape is a fairly leisurely rez where you can control some of the variables, CoV is fast and quick and in the thick of things. Frankly, I'm a bit tired hearing "No, let the minstrel rez them because your instant rez brings them back to just die right away." I can't fault the group leader, it is often the truth.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Raowyn View Post
    Most of this sounds like whining. Captains are amazing and researching skills is not quite the same as practising them.
    Can you elaborate on why Captains are so amazing? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    Can you elaborate on why Captains are so amazing? I'm curious.
    My captain was in a not so smooth PUG run of GS yesterday. Bad pull got us 5 guys, LS+IHW helped repair that. Champ (who was tanking) went down against Igash I believe due to excess time in a fire patch. Followed by Mini. 2 combat Rezs later and some healing from me and we were still going along and finished without wiping. We *are* amazing in group content. I even like Captains (OK, my only high level toon) solo. Our slowish DPS is balanced by excellent survivability.

As a LOTRO Captain, I wasn't born yesterday. Actually, I have logged a significant amount of time on my Captain - more than most by a long shot.
    I typed in /played today and it said: "You have been playing for: 5 months 1 week 1 day 6 hours 27 minutes 16 seconds".
    That's only my time on Silverlode on live. I also played in closed beta of SoA, in open beta of SoA, throughout MoM beta, on Bullroarer and more.

I love playing my Captain and think it's a great class. That doesn't mean there's zero room for improvement of the class.

I started this thread in the hopes of promoting intelligent feedback from our Captain community on what issues we commonly encounter with our skills, and discussion on possible improvements.

My suggestions aren't necessarily so good, but the skills I wrote about are ones that are commonly regarded as needing adjustment, many of which have had whole threads dedicated to discussion of possible ways of bettering them.

------------------------------------------------

Cry of Vengeance: Everyone complains about dying right after being rezzed. Bringing allies back up with even a little bit more morale and power would be a welcome tweak.
    *This suggestion can't be regarded as OP, since I didn't define how much, other than to say "a little bit more". If this improvement were made, it could be done in whatever degree our devs determined to be balanced.

Noble mark: The DPS we get from Noble Mark gives ~1.25 DPS compared to the weapons from the newbie instance which give 3 DPS. That is just silly.

Supposing the Threat component was left the same (or improved ever so slightly*) what would you suggest in place of the 3 DPS?

I included the suggestions other Captains made previously: Either a small amount of Power returned, or some Light that affects the mob like dread affects us, in whatever degree our devs might deem balanced and appropriate.

Shadows Lament: It's an on defeat skill, but usually hits for so little. It could stand to do a little more damage. See above*

Morale teeter-totter: Our whole fellowship takes ~1000 morale AOE blast every few seconds, not from a mob, and not from a designed part of the balance of an encounter, but as a side-effect of a technicality.
    Making it so the morale buff from the banner is retained for a few seconds after moving out of range of the banner would be an easy fix to an obvious problem.

Banner Expiration: Adding a visible timer, like our other buffs that time-out would be nice. It's a small change that would be appreciated by many people.

Alternatively, not having our banner "melt" every few minutes, but instead making it so banners only disappear when we move a certain distance away, or when we place a new one, would make this less annoying, and make more sense.

Banner of War level 60 critted version: These are broken, as they are identical to the lower level versions in every regard.

Separately, there's an issue that the Might and Agility from this banner is useless for those near the cap on those stats. If instead it gave a small* +to-hit chance, or +dmg% it would remain useful as intended.

Herald/Banner +1 hope: These give +1 Hope, though many people are unaware of this. However that 1 Hope from Captains is rendered null when a Hope token is used. DP gives 1 Hope which stacks with tokens. Perhaps the 1 Captain Hope could do the same.

Normal Herald Speed: When I click /follow on someone I stay with them. Heralds fall behind. It's frustrating.

Archer: They are fun, but work out the math and they lack significantly. I like my Archer, and don't want to lose it, only to see some improvement to be on par with our other options.

If we want more DPS the Standard of War is far better: +20% DPS, +10% morale, +50 Might +50 Agility, for 6 people. (depending on if people have capped stats as discussed above)
    The Archer does much more DPS than the Herald alone, but that's only solo. When we're in a group the Might and Agility for each person plus the Herald's own DPS adds up to be much better.

Compared to the benefits of other Herald options: Herald of Hope gives 1 Hope, 132 icmr, 735 morale for 6 people. That's a 4400 morale contribution to the fellowship, and 792 icmr. It also heals us for 660-700 morale every 1.5min.
    Herald of Victory gives 250 icpr, 288 power for 6 people, (1500 icpr and 1728 power for the group), and heals us or 660-700 morale every 1.5min.

Heralds are less squishy than Archers, and follow better, especially b/c of the issue with Archers stopping to shoot.

What would you suggest to make the loss of the heal, the increased squishiness, the getting lost, and the loss of major group and personal buffs worth it?

Time of need: I just tested this skill and it cost me 1775 morale. The vast majority of Captains consider this too much. A somewhat smaller morale cost would be more balanced.

Blood of Numenor: Since this skill is on a 30 minute cooldown, and requires the situation of a fellow who needs a rez, and since we often save our allies from dying... it seems to take people an excessively long time to complete the deed. Perhaps this would be more balanced if reduced a little.

In Defence of Middle Earth: This is no better at level 65 than it was at 50. It's like wearing level 50 armour at level 65. It needs to scale with us in a balanced and appropriate way, whatever the devs work those numbers out to be.

Separate IDoME issue: Re-buffing every 5 min is annoying, and using LI points and a Legacy slot to reduce that a little is a waste.

One solution proposed by various experienced Captains was to make it a passive buff. It would be gained by being within 15 meters of your Captain (that's the present range of IDoME).
    If you stay more than 15m away it would wear off after 5min. That's exactly the same as it is now, except that we wouldn't have to re-cast and re-cast and re-cast it ad nauseum.

Grave wound: This skill requires a DoT from Cutting Attack but it's on longer cooldown. These should be the same duration.

Also, the removal of the bleed is unfortunate.

In Harms Way: Perhaps was reduced excessively and could stand a small increase to % absorb.

Power: Usage rate still out of balance with our peers. Slightly reduced power costs, to whatever degree the devs find to be balanced, could help.

Improved Defensive Strike: Used to give a tiny bit of power back ~2.5% of the time when used on a mob with Light of Elendil on them. This got nerfed a while back. Perhaps it could return a tiny bit of power as intended.
    Alternatively, instead of returning power, the improved skill could share our personal Armour Value buff with our Shield-brother. (Originally suggested by Scarecrow)

Oathbreaker Herald: These aren't nearly good enough to deserve using a legendary slot.
    What would you suggest?

--------------------------------------

As far as future additions to the Captain class's skills: We are supposed to be the buffer, but more buffs that we have to cast, then wait 5 min, then have to re-cast repetitively would be boring.
    However if we got new attacks, or improved versions of current attacks, that give short duration buffs to our fellow's: dps, or heals out/in, or b/p/e, or resistances etc... that could add a lot to the quality of experience of playing this class.

[QUOTE=maradakia;4566631]
    ------------------------------------------------

Cry of Vengeance: Everyone complains about dying right after being rezzed. Bringing allies back up with even a little bit more morale and power would be a welcome tweak.
    *This suggestion can't be regarded as OP, since I didn't define how much, other than to say "a little bit more". If this improvement were made, it could be done in whatever degree our devs determined to be balanced./[quote]

I would like to see the default for both rezzes be at least 25% morale/power and the Legendary Trait should double that at the very least.

Shadows Lament: It's an on defeat skill, but usually hits for so little. It could stand to do a little more damage. See above*
    This skill should hit for a lot more. Would be nice to see minimum 500 here. Also, would be interesting to add a potential buff to this. Say, if you hit a critical on SL, the next skill used by everyone else in your fellowship will be critical as well.

Herald/Banner +1 hope: These give +1 Hope, though many people are unaware of this. However that 1 Hope from Captains is rendered null when a Hope token is used. DP gives 1 Hope which stacks with tokens. Perhaps the 1 Captain Hope could do the same.
    Agreed. It seems odd that the class that is meant to inspire others is out-inspired by an inanimate object.

In regards to the banners/herals, perhaps we could get a hybrid of all three as a level 65 skill? Take 50% of Victory + 50% of War + 50% of Hope to be the new one. Would be versatile and would work great for soloing.

What about grave wound being a guaranteed crit if cunning attack on target? That crit is going to help in threat so would be along the same line as current. Also adds a small boost in dps.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Captains are like the Cheerios I eat every morning.

I love em, and now that they have the heart foundation's tick of approval (SoM changes), they're even better, and I wouldn't change anything about them.
    Last edited by The_Hall_Of_Mandos; Apr 15 2010 at 09:27 AM.
    [center][b]<Free Peoples> | <The Beorning>[/b][/center][center][color=lightgreen][b]Caption[/b] - Captionation[/color] | [color=red][b]Chaption[/b] - Ownage Champion[/color][/center]
    [center][b][color=lightgreen]Ungolianta[/color] | [color=white]Sharps[/b][/color][/center]
    [center][b][color=black]Nimrodel[/color][/center][/b]

Overall i would add my 2 coppers:

Shadows Lament - I barely use this skill as the damage output per time used is not really balanced. Having a skill be gated by either an on defeat response or crit from DB or BA should give us more in terms of utility or raw damage output. Even when we trait LtC and it generates more threat and does more damage, it is still gated by a lot and has a long CD. Either make this in line of BoE where you need to be in Battle Hardened stance and have it share its CD with BoE so we have a choice. Corruption removal and a potential for a DoT, or High Threat and more Damage. I always though that BoE was an idea of skills that never really got off and it was just left there.

IDOME - People need to stop complaining about the duration. This is a skill that needs to be cast every 5 min with a 1 min CD. You can do it in combat and does not cost a lot of power. If it is that hard to keep track of the icon then do it after every mob pull and just time your self in boss fights.
    As for scaling yeah it would be nice if it scaled but i see that as getting to the OP territory. Even now many classes can easily cap their primary attributes without IDOME.
    I would say to add something else to it, like mitigation or something extra instead of increasing the +stats.

Banners - My take on banners is that the draw back of it is to move it around and make sure it is going with you and moving with the fellowship, hence it has only a 3s CD and decent range. What I find as a problem is when you are disarmed or silenced (forget which one) the banner disappears and needs to be replanted. This is more then just an annoyance as the entire fellowship takes a 1k hit. In a bad fight this can get hairy. Same goes for Heralds when they die everyone takes a hit to their moral or power.
    I like the idea of a 5 second grace period.

It has been mentioned that we need some upgrades and i agree. It is time to change things up. Lets face it, +1 hope is OK but we can get much better and more clever things on our Hope Banners, Victory Banners and War Banners.

Cry of Vengence is a very powerful in combat rez. The only other rez that is more powerful is the RK do not fall this day and that one has be coordinated.
    Lets face it show me another rez that has 0 induction time and can rez 2 people if traited?

Grave Wound - I barely use this skill as it has a long CD, low damage output and removes our bleed. This skill needs some work really. I think it should the same CD as Cutting attack and depending on what trait line you have like 4 deep in blue or yellow or red it has a different effect like it does now when you are deep into LtC it adds a temporary force taunt.
    We need something when you are into blue and something different when you are into LoM

Nobble Mark - this is a tough one. It is great for pulling and when traited its nice for tanking but i think it needs a bit more love. The DoT on it is pathetic. I assume it is meant for extra threat generation but at 65 doing avg 100 damage per 10 seconds is just a joke. Besides pulling this mark is fast getting on the why bother list. Needs to be adjusted, may add some functionality like depending on how you are tarited it will do different things.

As you may have noticed i am a big fan of giving captains more reason to retrait. Make different skills do different things or get enhanced in different ways depending on how deep you are in the different trees. Now most captains run HoH with either 2 in LoM or 2 in LtC. Only time they switch to either LoM or LtC is when they solo or skirmish. There is no reason to play around with traits really like there is with other classes.

Also big advocate of short powerfull buffs that need to be refreshed to be kept on like the mini ballads and songs.

I know it will never happen as we will be stepping on toes but we can dream can

My main thing is making the long duration buffs less effort to keep up. To that effect:

IDOME: change this to a passive aura, IDOME is then a passive skill, always up when slotted.

Motivating Speech: have this skill re-apply tactics on anyone in the group.

With these two changes refreshing buffs is just a matter of hitting MS every half hour before the tactics buffs expire from your group.

Basically, I want less repeat this every 5m - 30m type stuff and more herald style 'this is always up' type buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksoftly View Post
    Motivating Speech: have this skill re-apply tactics on anyone in the group.
    What did you mean by this? Re-apply tactics?

While I agree or can see most of your suggestions, this one I disagree with completely.

I have never used this mark as a damage tool or rarely use it for a threat tool. It has the range that makes it ideal for a pulling tool. No other mark can pull. The Agro from it is slow enough that any tank class can easily pull that agro off you. You can quickly change marks and your pet can pull agro off you if you desire.

Seeing as it is a level 12 skill, changing the function would affect the way lower level Captains can play the class. They do not need power regen at lower levels, they do need some tools for agro and pulling that this skill provides very nicely.
    Last edited by DirtyDeeds2; Apr 18 2010 at 10:57 PM.

I like the ability to pull with Noble Mark as well. The change we need wouldn't take the pull away from us. The threat aspect of Noble Mark is good. If anything it could stand to be a little bit stronger.

The DPS of Noble Mark is just silly though. It does less than the weapons in the newbie instance. And we have Telling Mark for DPS already, which is good.

If the Noble Mark kept the threat aspect, but swapped out the uber-tiny DPS for something like a light that acts like dread against mobs, or something else that would be useful - anything useful, that'd be great.

Keeping in mind that it's for a level 12 Cappie is a good idea.