We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Priorities for Captain Fixes

removed for revue.
    Last edited by maradakia; Apr 09 2010 at 05:22 AM.

Re: Priorities for Captain Fixes

Most of these are more improvements than fixes, and some are a little over the top IMHO.

Also, don't you dare touch my Archer herald.

I agree with brasswire12; this list isn't about "fixes" and some suggestions are over the top. Here's the thing, maradakia--and yes, semantics are important in anything that purports to be a "communication." Whenever you claim something needs to be fixed, you first have to show it's "broken," which supplies the bulk of any argument along with "why." So many of the things in this list fall into the pattern of "Well, it could be better this way!" Sure, lots of things can be better.

But in an MMO, "balance" is important and usually both complex and black box to players. We have internal class balance, balance versus other classes' abilities, role balance, balance in PvE. Even showing that a skill is "broken" (not bugged) is already difficult in itself. Convenience alone is not really a good enough reason when it comes to class skills. (But bag space--we can use more of that. plzkthx.)

About Shadow's Lament... The primary purpose of that skill is threat, and damage is actually secondary, since captains have so few threat skills as it is. It doesn't "need" to do more damage, since the skill would require fixing only if you can show that the threat component doesn't work as it should.

The banner of hope morale range issue was discussed in another thread; I believe one suggested fix is to have the buff calculate by percentage and adjust current morale accordingly, which seems appropriate. That seems like it would require more processing time, though. As for banner expiration, the only issue that I agree with is the lack of visual timer. Besides the convenience issue for refreshing, it takes no power to refresh banners, and you can refresh them without waiting for the timer and stat bumping. I'm not convinced this is broken and in need of fixing beyond its current WAI mechanic.

Is there a reason why our heralds can't move as quickly as we do? I imagine it has to do with the pathing issues pets run into. Pet pathing runs into problems with the way the landscape is programmed, at least according some other sources (i.e. Turbine contracted that code to a third party, or something). Now, I'll agree that pet pathing (and soldier pathing, geh) is broken to some extent. But it's been that way for a while, so who knows if a real fix is incoming, ever.

The archer herald business? Eh... So you're saying that the fact our archer doesn't give group buffs makes it broken? Or maybe it didn't occur to you that our archer herald is solo DPS mode? Have you even noticed the DPS difference between archer and melee herald? By lowering archer damage to melee herald levels, even with the group buff, you're breaking the archer. There's no point in having dinky ranged damage or dinky melee damaged--you're mixing up the archer and melee herald primary purposes. The primary purpose of our melee heralds is not DPS or tanking, but providing the buff aura. The primary purpose of our archer herald is DPS. "Evasion is so minimally useful and should be removed"--oh, I see you've never used your archer herald effectively as an evasion tank. You claim it's minimally useful, but I've popped it regularly on my archer.

IDOME... 5 minute buff really doesn't seem like a big deal; it's certainly not "broken" enough to warrant a "fix," but any meddling with its duration is purely for convenience. As for scaling, don't all the other level-analogous class legendaries have this problem after MoM? A scaling percentage is certainly more reasonable for a stat buff like this, because I don't see how Turbine can maintain IDOME's usefulness at level 70, 75, and whatever as a static legendary trait. I can see the scaling issue as actually needing fixing in this regard.

Oathbreaker Herald isn't a legendary trait. It's an optional armament with minimal benefits anyway. If you're talking about Master of Oaths, there has already been a blue post about updating it somehow.

...As for pretty much everything else, those are just convenience requests, and you don't bother reasoning out your suggestions for nonbroken skills. So few of these can be considered "priorities" with the dearth of argument you've supplied here.

^ yeah a lot of those things are just convenience, sorry to say. not really priorities. maybe scaling IDOME.../shrug
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    ^ maybe scaling IDOME.../shrug
    couldnt agree more, I would suggest a legacy but we already have a bagillion we need... Scale it up plz

I like your ideas, I definately think the cpt needs some love.

I have to agree with many of the previous posters so far - more a list of suggestions than things that need to be fixed.

A few of those could even be argued to be issues with the players and not the skills themselves:

Morale teeter-totter? Learn to place your banners better, or your groups need to learn to not go so far away from the banners.

IHW not effective enough? Learn to hit it early enough so that people don't die.

Time of Need costs too much? Use it only to hit a Rallying Cry, maybe follow it up with a Muster Courage (Strength from Within traited) and you'll get all your morale back anyway. Or use it early in a fight to hit War Cry, and the healer can top you off since nobody else has really taken any damage yet.

IDOME duration too short? Know exactly how much max power you should have when IDOME is up. If your max power is currently less than that, hit IDOME. It's not like it costs a lot of power or has a long induction or anything. Or learn to just hit it every few minutes, or hit it after every pull. Lots of ways to make this a non-issue. (Although I would like to see it scale with level, yes.)

Banner expiration? It is annoying, but again - know how much morale you should have when your banner is down. If you're significantly below that, lay your banner again.

Power issues? I've found power to be less of an issue than it was before. While I would like to see more Will on future Captain sets (since it affects outgoing healing), I've learned to build for more Will, Fate, and ICPR and less Might and Agility. If you're always running out of power in boss fights (or anywhere else), give yourself a Focus buff instead of that crit buff that you're so fond of.

The Focus buff itself? It might be nice to see a little more here, sure, perhaps a bit more commensurate with the crit and parry buffs. The other two buffs can add what, 1/4 to 1/3 of the recipient's unbuffed rating? The people you're generally giving Focus to are probably already over 1,000 icpr, so Focus - relative to crit and parry - gives a lesser percentage.

People dying after CoV? Hit them with WoC as soon as they're up, and make sure that the main healer hits them with a Bolster, Mending Verse, or whatever. The main issue I have with CoV is that it sometimes "misses". It doesn't really miss, I don't think, but when someone dies it lights up, and I don't always have time to check to see if the person is in range first - it's a reactionary rez, I react. It could be improved by the addition of an out-of-range indicator if the most recent person to die is indeed out of range of the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by maradakia View Post
    removed for revue.
    Stop teasing me !!!

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    maybe scaling IDOME.../shrug

I thought you made yourself a big boy and got over it, still crying ? The game always been easy, no need to make it easier and you know that..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    So many of the things in this list fall into the pattern of "Well, it could be better this way!" Sure, lots of things can be better.
    Exactly. We need to concentrate on abilities that are broken or whose benefit is so insignificant it's not worth using. Those are the ones we should be complaining about, not abilities that are useful but could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    I thought you made yourself a big boy and got over it, still crying ? The game always been easy, no need to make it easier and you know that..
    shoo frenchie!
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Stop teasing me !!!

I forgot to use pretty colours in my posts lately!

p.s, IDOME should scale

p.p.s I wanna see the list before it was removed :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Apocatequil View Post

p.s, IDOME should scale

It's the same list in the thread now entitled "Captain Skill Suggestions." My particular comments also still stand, but due to the proper semantic change, I can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocatequil View Post

Yeah i forgot sometime to do it to..

p.s, IDOME should scale

No, i don't think so, if the gods was planning to do it, the change would have been already made (or it would have scaled after moria and we wouldn't have that conversation again today since moria).

I never believed that clicky was that great even back at soa but i can understand why people feel warmer with their dope

someone already beated me to it :

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    It's the same list in the thread now entitled "Captain Skill Suggestions." My particular comments also still stand, but due to the proper semantic change, I can't be bothered.

stuff stuff stuff
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]