We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Human or Elf?

Human or Elf?

What are the adv. and disadv. of each?

Also, I'm pretty new to the game (started two days ago) -- Is the dual wielding Gandalf thing viable? Or do LM pretty much just stand back and cast at 40+?

Re: Human or Elf?

No real big difference. Both can get 1 handed sword bonus for sword and staff (you'll get that around 41 as a legendary trait). The biggest difference is the emergency skills:

man gets a 3-4k heal on a 1 hour timer
    elf gets 10s of 75% parry on a 1 hour timer

There are minor passive bonuses to B/P/E for man as well. Overall they are better, but not by a significant amount.

In groups you will mostly cast, but sword and staff is still a must have for the stats on swords. Solo you will probably mele a lot.
    Going on Hiatus until this statement becomes true:
    [b]"The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage."[/b] -[URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4698465&postcount=5]Patience[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000003fd15/01007/signature.png]Shadrak[/charsig]

If you want utility, humans probably have the best all around racial skills.
    Elf is probably more accurate for RPing purposes, however, as they have longer life spans and in general know much more about nature and lore than men.

3 Harrow Road, Clapfoot Homestead, The Shire

I originally rolled an elf, mostly for sentimental and more-or-less RP reasons. If I had to do it over again, I'd roll Man. As mentioned, humans get the 3,000 morale insta-heal on a 1 hour cooldown. The elf gets a 10 second 75% parry buff, which is lame and quite frankly I've never used it. Now if it were evade, that'd at least be of some value. While elves get a "ghetto stealth" racial skill pretty early on, they can't kill or even target some of the fauna that wanders the lands and makes cute little squeals when you nukrificate them.

And lastly...facial hair. Nuf sed.
    Weeeeeeee're baaaaaaack! :)

Eldar's Grace (the parry buff) is often more useful now than it was before, since "Man Heal" has scaled very poorly, 2200-3000 health at 65. You just have to make sure any damage you take is from the front.

Elf Stealth (Sylvan Shadows) isn't bad, but it is on 30m cooldown. It can be used to sneak by some content as well, but if you add some +stealth gear it will increase your success. Useful for ambushing or escaping in PvMP sometimes. It sure beats Man's Uppercut.

Elf gets a Return to Rivendell port, while Man gets Return to Bree port.

Man also has the "Easily Inspired" buff which gives 5% to incoming heals.

For stats, Elf gains +12 Fate (-8 racial, +20 trait) and Man +12 Will (-8 racial, +20 trait), but as you get higher in levels this matters little.

Overall... it doesn't matter much in the end.

Wielding a sword is a Legendary trait as someone mentioned. It is pretty badass and I rarely ever don't have it slotted.

For playstyles, some LMs will hang back and just cast. I prefer to wade in and whack stuff with my staff, kind of like a tank mage. It's fun, completely viable in most situations, and adds DPS and some staff strike crits are pretty big. Consider your pets to function more as a DoT, instead of something that tanks for you like some other games have, and you'll do better with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonceleb View Post
    I originally rolled an elf, mostly for sentimental and more-or-less RP reasons. If I had to do it over again, I'd roll Man. As mentioned, humans get the 3,000 morale insta-heal on a 1 hour cooldown. The elf gets a 10 second 75% parry buff, which is lame and quite frankly I've never used it. Now if it were evade, that'd at least be of some value. While elves get a "ghetto stealth" racial skill pretty early on, they can't kill or even target some of the fauna that wanders the lands and makes cute little squeals when you nukrificate them.

And lastly...facial hair. Nuf sed.
    Actually.. the 75% parry is kind of awesome in situations where you get swarmed and for whatever reason don't want to/can't root, stun, and run to a safe distance. It can keep you from getting interrupted and get more skills off. The one hour timer does suck, though ^^

Quote Originally Posted by PhobicPursuit View Post
    Is the dual wielding Gandalf thing viable? Or do LM pretty much just stand back and cast at 40+?
    Once you get the trait for it you will *always* dual wield staff & sword. Reason being that swords have some pretty decent stats on them, so even if you're not up front hitting things you'll still want to use one.

When soloing you'll be in melee a lot of the time. Which isn't a bad thing. Your staff attack and auto-attacks do a significant amount of damage, and you're not as fragile as some people would think. The biggest danger is having your inductions interrupted, so keeping things stunned or focused on your pet whenever possible is a good idea. Most enemies you'll meet while solo will melt pretty quickly if both you and your pet are attacking it together.

In groups you'll be sitting back casting a lot, but it's still good practice to get in melee and start whacking away whenever you won't die from it.

For practical purposes at endgame, the only racial choice that really makes any difference is that Men get an in-combat near-full heal, which when added to our class skill Wisdom of the Council gives you two "get out of jail free" cards to pop before you are out of tricks to stay alive.

Other than that, it's really just a matter of aesthetic & rp preference. Even the racial bonuses and strengths/weaknesses only really matter for the first 10-20 levels, after that the differences are so minute that they really don't matter.

And yes, once you get your legendary trait Sword & Staff, you will want to slot it immediately and leave it slotted FOREVER. Never take it out. It's probably the one single most valuable legendary trait of any class and is pretty much universally used. Not only do you get the extra dps and stats from being able to equip an off-hand sword, it also has several trait bonuses attached inherently that you'll want to keep all the time. You'll find that the LM does a surprising amount of damage from melee, especially at engame; our Improved Staff Strike packs quite a punch, especially if you consider that we're the only class in the game that gets to wield a two-hand weapon AND a one-handed weapon simultaneously.
    Last edited by Graythandor; Apr 09 2010 at 10:31 AM.
    [color=#CC3333][B][SIZE="3"]W[/SIZE]ESSLEY [SIZE="3"]G[/SIZE]RAYSON[/B] (lvl 66 LM Man, SM Jeweller)[/color]
    [color=#33CCFF][B][SIZE="3"]L[/SIZE]ITTLBIT [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]LUVIN[/B] (lvl 66 Minstrel Hobbit, SM Scholar)[/color]
    [color=#66FF66][B][SIZE="3"]G[/SIZE]RAYTHANDOR[/B] (lvl 54 Hunter Elf, R4, GM Tailor)[/color]
    [color=white] Nimrodel[/color]