We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Mithril Flakes

Mithril Flakes

On average I used to net one or two flakes for every 100 Iron/Gold ore that I mined. Since the last patch I have not seen a single flake and I've mined about 600-700 ore since the patch. Is anyone else experiencing a significant decline or absence of flakes from mining?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000095d5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Mithril Flakes

I asked the same question the first two weeks after SoM was released. I couldn't find a single one no matter how many Ore Nodes I mined.

However, it's partially just luck with the RNG and knowing that they are more commonly found in Khazad-Gold Ore Nodes than in Khazad-Iron Ore Nodes now. I guess people were too busy previously strip-mining the later and ignoring the former.

As others weren't having the same decrease in frequency of Mithril Flakes, I kept at it and eventually my average returned. It was just a long dry-spell of bad-luck with the RNG.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][I]~[/I][B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]NOST CORUFAER[/COLOR][/B][I]~[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Cyan][Prized Pie][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][I]"It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

I got one two days ago in a K-G node in... Flaming Deeps I think, however I've only gotten the one Flake the entire time I have been in Moria on my latest character, so it could be the rate was decreased.
    WTB Goblin Class! Will BUY TP to do so!!! (hint to Turbine!)
    Mangey <Agony> Semi-Ret 12-07/Milgwn NS Ret
    [FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=3][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Kinich-Ahau / Kukulcan in 2012![/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

I think it is just the god of the RNG being mad at you.

I have been doing the silver branch quests in Loth with my jewler for the reciepes. I only mine the K-I and K-G nodes that are right in front of me during my travels about Loth and the rich nodes that show up. In the last three weeks I have picked up three flakes. Two from rich K-I nodes and one from a normal K-I node.

When I use to run the mining instances in moria I would picked up one flake about every three runs through the higher level one. The one with the K-I and K-G nodes. But I have not been there for sometime now.

Of course now that i have told you this that means no flakes for me for weeks now! Karma and all that good stuff. Enjoy the flakes you find as i WOULD have found them before this post!
    I wonder what IS behind that waterfall?
    The Player Council knows!

I picked up two flakes from rich K gold nodes in Redhorn last night. Maybe it's like gambling.. hit those dice when they're hot!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012e209/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"He knows not to what end he rides; yet if he knew, he would still go on."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    I asked the same question the first two weeks after SoM was released. I couldn't find a single one no matter how many Ore Nodes I mined.
    Same here after one of the patches. I went 1100 ore before finding a flake after a patch when I used to average about 1 every 100 - 200 ore. I have seen some recently after the patch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    Same here after one of the patches.
    You know, if I wore a Tinfoil Hat I'd almost say that the Devs and GMs have all sorts of toggles the can enable/disable on certain Accounts. If you disrespect one of them you all of a sudden have a string of Critical Failures with the RNG on all of your characters until you recant and apologize profusely...because some of those losing streaks with the RNG seem to last far too long without a single success (whether you are talking about Relic Combination, Crafting, Mining, or even /roll). If I didn't know that the Devs and GMs were far too busy and certainly have far better things to do, those long dry-periods would almost be enough to make me paranoid.

Lothlorien and Redhorn Lodes are still the best places to look. You can generally get 2 Mithril Flakes for every 3 Runs of the Higher Level Crafting Instance in the Red-Horn Lodes. I've found they drop with the same frequency in Mirkwood, but only assuming no one else is mining there at the time. Since there are more people in Mirkwood than in Lothlorien or Moria, that makes Lothlorien and Redhorn Lodes still the better places of the three to look.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][I]~[/I][B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]NOST CORUFAER[/COLOR][/B][I]~[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Cyan][Prized Pie][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][I]"It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    You know, if I wore a Tinfoil Hat I'd almost say that the Devs and GMs have all sorts of toggles the can enable/disable on certain Accounts. If you disrespect one of them you all of a sudden have a string of Critical Failures with the RNG on all of your characters until you recant and apologize profusely...because some of those losing streaks with the RNG seem to last far too long without a single success (whether you are talking about Relic Combination, Crafting, Mining, or even /roll). If I didn't know that the Devs and GMs were far too busy and certainly have far better things to do, those long dry-periods would almost be enough to make me paranoid.
    LOL! I take it back!!! I've come clean out of moria instances multiple runs in a row without winning so much as a single mob dropped IXP rune. When you think about how many items drop in the instance versus how many people are in the group, I have been very tempted to think the system is not as random as it should be. (I even posted about it a while back). I know a few others who feel as unlucky and are playing around with when you join the group and who leads, etc. to see if there is any consistency to it.

I recant, I repent, I take it all back!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    I have been very tempted to think the system is not as random as it should be. (I even posted about it a while back). I know a few others who feel as unlucky and are playing around with when you join the group and who leads, etc. to see if there is any consistency to it.
    In the group I run with daily, there is one guy who wins every /roll. In the past three years I can think of only one time he failed a /roll and none of us could believe it. Whereas I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum and never win a /roll in a group unless it is for a Housing Trophy (and even then it takes a couple dozen tries). Everyone else in our group luck comes and goes, as it should.

However, there was one time, back in SoA, Vol1, Bk11 (I think) where over 1000 kills in three different regions I got the same exact loot on every corpse I looted (granted, they were all the same level range). It was the exact same recipe, and the same two vendor trash items for every corpse, without fail. I logged out and logged back in and everything returned to normal. The best guess we could come up with is that RNGs aren't entirely random but rather a randomly generated number table and then cached by the client, to be updated with a new randomly generated table at regular intervals so as to decrease Server load from the thousands of calculations per minute it would have to do generating all those random numbers for every single thing that occurs in the game. The problem hasn't seemed to ever reappear for me, but it makes me wonder if it happens more frequently than one realizes due to packet-loss or such. Of course, logging out and logging back in should always fix it, even if such were possible (and as I stated, it was only a theory, and the only one that could reasonably explain what happened that one time long ago in LOTRO).

Return of the Wi Flag?
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Carpe Jugulum[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/silverlode/bo/"][COLOR=#00ffff][I][B][SIZE=4] B[/SIZE]o[/B][/I][/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR=yellow]- Dwarf Champion[/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=white],[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/silverlode/quasicrystoberylspar/"][COLOR=#00ffff][I][B][SIZE=4]Q[/SIZE]uasicrystoberylspar [/B][/I][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=yellow] - Hobbit Burglar[/COLOR] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/silverlode/deadeye/"][COLOR=#00ffff][I][B][SIZE=1],[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]D[/SIZE]eadeye[/B][/I][/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR=yellow]- Human Archer[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=plum]and[/COLOR] [/SIZE][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/silverlode/slowhand/"][B][I][COLOR=#00ffff][SIZE=4] S[/SIZE]lowhand[/COLOR][/I][/B][/URL][COLOR=yellow]- Elf Minstrel[/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://my.lotro.com/ascus/"][COLOR=yellow][COLOR=cyan][SIZE=2][B][I][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001111ac/01000/signature.png]Luteman[/charsig][/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

Is there a level required to mine a flake?

I have a 64 (soon to be 65) Hunter who has mined 1200 K-iron and 200 k-gold with no flakes in sight. And I cannot find one flake dropper anywhere.
    I was wondering if you need to be a certain level? And I counted over 25 rich ore with no flake.
    Last edited by Legorfin; Jun 29 2012 at 09:34 PM.

No, you dont have to be a certain level - and even if so, that level would be lvl 52 (where supreme crafting starts). Without having gone for mithril flakes myself since RoI, its likely that you simply have bad luck. Just continue searching for those rare elites.

But: It should be pretty easy to buy some from other players. Your mined ores are worth dozens of them.