We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Escape from Darkness question

Greetings fellow captains! At level 53, I have had precious few opportunities to actually rez people in combat. Fortunately, running CD with my kin last night gave me a couple opportunities (think "green water" and "Helchgam", lol).

Now, where Cry of Vengeance worked as I expected, the first rez I did was Escape from Darkness. Now, here is the situation and my question:

I had meant to use CoV as my first rez, but inadvertently hit EFD.

I was not directly targeting the fallen member.

Does EFD work like CoV (on a "nearby" companion), or could this have been a lucky chance of skill target forwarding? (I think I was targeted on the RK who might have been healing the fallen warden.)

Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

Re: Escape from Darkness question

it DOES require a target... i think you nailed it with the target-forwarding.

you should have a system of targeting your fellowship, either clicking portraits or hotkeys or both. youre going to be expected to heal for most of end-game.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    it DOES require a target... i think you nailed it with the target-forwarding.

you should have a system of targeting your fellowship, either clicking portraits or hotkeys or both. youre going to be expected to heal for most of end-game.
    Yeah, being I raid with champ and guard, this is taking some getting used to, lol.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Having a 5 button mouse is great for some of the captain skills. I bind the scroll wheel button to CoV and if someone dies all I have to do is hit the button and 'poof', almost instant rez.

If it fails then you can always target your casualty the usual way and use escape from darkness.
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by IowaHawk View Post
    Greetings fellow captains! At level 53, I have had precious few opportunities to actually rez people in combat. Fortunately, running CD with my kin last night gave me a couple opportunities (think "green water" and "Helchgam", lol).

Now, where Cry of Vengeance worked as I expected, the first rez I did was Escape from Darkness. Now, here is the situation and my question:

I had meant to use CoV as my first rez, but inadvertently hit EFD.

I was not directly targeting the fallen member.

Does EFD work like CoV (on a "nearby" companion), or could this have been a lucky chance of skill target forwarding? (I think I was targeted on the RK who might have been healing the fallen warden.)

Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!
    CoV => pick up the closest (or one of the closest)

EfD => Select one, induction, he/she/it is now up.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

CoV also has a relatively small AOE, I generally target, hit my shortcut key for follow, THEN hit CoV. By the time it goes off, I'm generally in range...or will have been able to tell I won't be in range and don't waste CoV.

Escape has a long range (30 meters?). Don't waste time getting close, rather, you can use it to be sure the person being rezzed will be in a safe spot so their morale can come back up and they don't drop again.

So, there is something more to using the two rezzes than just CoV first, Escape second:
    • Will you be close enough for CoV or would that waste it.
    • Is the place they'll be rezzed going to be safe enough, or should you move them from the area (since they'll be rezzed to where you are).
    • Do you have time to spend on Escape's longer induction now, or do you need that person up ASAP to get control and you'll bank on having time for the next one.

You *do* have a couple seconds to think it out, and you'll be happier with the outcome than if you just mash a rez button and hope it works.

ETA: Also, tell the person that you've offered a rez--if they blink when the message changes, they might not realize it is offering them a rez instead of to admit defeat, the message windows look very similar in layout, and they might just be sitting there waiting not realizing they are wasting time.
    Last edited by Lupini; Apr 07 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    CoV also has a relatively small AOE, I generally target, hit my shortcut key for follow, THEN hit CoV. By the time it goes off, I'm generally in range...or will have been able to tell I won't be in range and don't waste CoV.

Escape has a long range (30 meters?). Don't waste time getting close, rather, you can use it to be sure the person being rezzed will be in a safe spot so their morale can come back up and they don't drop again.

So, there is something more to using the two rezzes than just CoV first, Escape second:
    • Will you be close enough for CoV or would that waste it.
    • Is the place they'll be rezzed going to be safe enough, or should you move them from the area (since they'll be rezzed to where you are).
    • Do you have time to spend on Escape's longer induction now, or do you need that person up ASAP to get control and you'll bank on having time for the next one.

You *do* have a couple seconds to think it out, and you'll be happier with the outcome than if you just mash a rez button and hope it works.

This is making me think of much worse CoV used to be, somewhat akin to making sure the person you were trying to rez was on the same pinhead that you were. It's a lot better range wise now, but it still needs a lot of help in terms of amount returned. I wouldn't mind seeing a few seconds of immunity or damage redution on the rez, if not more morale. An unlucky AOE at the wrong time could really mess up the use of CoV. As for Escape....WTB 4 piece rift set(best set bonus IMHO), I miss that instant rez.
    Last edited by Thalifea; Apr 07 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Theodhelm - Captain | Falawine - Hunter | Coquet - Warden | Junkyard - Stalker
    ~Elendilmir Server~ the [Jewelled Bell] of servers
    ~Misadventurers~

Quote Originally Posted by Thalifea View Post
    This is making me think of much worse CoV used to be, somewhat akin to making sure the person you were trying to rez was on the same pinhead that you were...As for Escape....WTB 4 piece rift set(best set bonus IMHO), I miss that instant rez.
    Oh golly, that was wretched. I rarely had it work, it was SO confined...and less time for us to use it!

Yea, I got really used to that instant Escape--every time I use it now I mutter about the Rift set. I gave up getting the Rift weapon to be sure I had the whole armour set earlier. I wish they'd put that bonus in the LI table or on another set.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

If you use CoV be sure to have a WoC ready to go cuz the person will be barely hanging on when they come up. I often slot Composure so you can do the CoV, hit Time of Need to give the person a rally cry and recharge the CoV.
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by YvainBlakhart View Post
    If you use CoV be sure to have a WoC ready to go cuz the person will be barely hanging on when they come up. I often slot Composure so you can do the CoV, hit Time of Need to give the person a rally cry and recharge the CoV.
    Lol, that is just what I did, RK came up, I hit WoC, then I say in vent, "Ya better chug a pot if you got one!"

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. This is why captain forums > all other forums

Quote Originally Posted by Thalifea View Post
    ....WTB 4 piece rift set(best set bonus IMHO), I miss that instant rez.
    I keep 4 pieces of my rift set on me....invaluable in the moors

Also, as an aside, an interesting thing about CoV, is that it will rez people outside your raid.

I play lots in the moors and there are often freep groups fighting near and in amongst other freep groups/solos. People are all over the place. CoV and Escape from Darkness are extremely well used skills!

The first time I got a /tell thanking me for a rez from someone outside my raid had me puzzled for quite a while - I hadn't rezzed them, as far as I knew. I assumed they had made a mistake about who had rezzed them. Then it happened again and this time I saw the CoV rez animation around a person I was not grouped with. Since then I have seen it happen on a number of occasions.

Maybe I am a little slow and this is common kowledge among captains. But, still, I find it interesting...
    [LEFT][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000010b59/01008/signature.png]Hoggetshadowmir[/charsig]
    [/B][/LEFT]

When I hit CoV I always announce "response rez" into Vent. My regular raid group all know that means focus heals and generally a power injection from the Lore Master.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]