We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What build is this? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Turimbar View Post
    Telling mark on the brute all the time. It increases incoming damage, including damage absorbed from the other mobs afaik. At least that's what I understand from the tooltip: "increases incoming damage to a marked foe", not "increases damage directly applied to a marked foe".

Much better to bring a burglar for cj and no shield on the brute, though... burglars are so OP, I must roll one :-D
    that is the question though, with this mechanic does absorbed damage going to the brute get affected by debuffs like revealing weakness or does he take the damage after it has been modified by the debufs on the mobs he is shielding.

But one thing to consider if you have the mark on the brute you want to move it as fast as possible to the LM or Summoners to get them down fast.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

I ran 5/2 HoH build for about an entire year.

Last week decided to try some changes. So far been pretty happy.

First tried 3/2/2 heal/dps/lead. Idea was lose some output on heals, but make up for it with more dps and crits (rallying cry thereby making up for 10-20% smaller heals), more dps for the entire group (war cry), and insta-mark is nice too.

Last night spent about 30 minutes debating (actually just exploring) new builds with kinship leader. I am going to try 2/3/2 heal/dps/lead. Healing output does not drop just it costs more power. Dps goes up and costs less power. Hmm. I almost never run out of power with all the will/fate + banner of victory.

No one's complained so far.

I should run some numbers, switch back to HoH for a bit, and compare. I wonder if overall you and yes even the group end up better off with a hybrid build.

I like the comments that say "hey, whatever works, don't let anyone tell you there can Be Only One Build".
    Ngaemond 104 Cpt | Ngeowyn 105 Wrd | Ngamarie 100 Cpt(!?!) | Ngorbadoc 105 Hnt | Ngurin 100 Grd | Ngollwydha 105 Brg | Darkest Hour - Arkenstone (formerly Windfola)

Stop Crying about awesomeness... Captain was, is, and will be awesome. -MorningStarSE

I ran LtC while i was leveling, the crits were too awsome to pass up. once i started doing GS and HoC at 56 i decided a HoH build would be best. and now that im in Mirk i run a 5/1/1 traiting. i use 5 HoH for the capstone, the PA and DB crit trait and Defiance. i dont really need defiance, but i like to have the cushion...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000d08b9/01003/signature.png]Dravidor[/charsig]
    The 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse. (I left before they became famous)

Quote Originally Posted by Pillager101 View Post
    that is the question though, with this mechanic does absorbed damage going to the brute get affected by debuffs like revealing weakness or does he take the damage after it has been modified by the debufs on the mobs he is shielding.
    well you get the healing if you put revealing on the guard while his shield is up, so I'd wager that the damage going to the brute is increased through the guard. but I've never cared enough to test it further, as that seems conclusive.

just a general thought.

I think some are way overestimating the benefits of expert attacks. I see this "non stop" crits...it's only ~3% assuming your toon has crit settings (etc) and you're using the crit buff. It's not that much to give you so called "non stop crits".

I'd put you to a test if you were on arkenstone...you use expert attacks, I use renewed voice, we'll see who gets more crits
    Last edited by IGolbezI; Apr 20 2010 at 03:16 AM.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post

I think some are way overestimating the benefits of expert attacks. I see this "non stop" crits...it's only ~3% assuming your toon has crit settings (etc) and you're using the crit buff. It's not that much to give you so called "non stop crits".

I'd put you to a test if you were on arkenstone...you use expert attacks, I use renewed voice, we'll see who gets more crits

I have to agree with this. Expert Attacks will net you ~3% to 5% more DB/PA crits. Renewed Voice will net you 25% more DB/PA crits. It's an obvious choice to me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003071/01008/signature.png]Kalbarad[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Pillager101 View Post

But one thing to consider if you have the mark on the brute you want to move it as fast as possible to the LM or Summoners to get them down fast.
    you have to stick the mark on the guard everybody is hitting for it to be effective. Same thing for the trolls in DN, even though the 2nd troll/brute is the one absorbing all the damage, the first troll/guard is the one everybody is hitting and needs the buff/debuffs on...also same for being shield walled by a guard. the guard just absorbs whatever damage is done to the other class so you want to increase the damage done to the other class so the guard absorbs more (from a creep perspective).

As to the trait discussion, I definitely agree that there is no one right way to trait and no other way works. Captains are very versatile and if you inspect a dozen captains theres a high chance you'll find a dozen different trait set ups. The people complaining about LoM and LtC arent arguing about them being useless or that they cant survive anything anymore. They are saying their overall dps, whether it be using war banner, purely healing, or using an archer herald, is pretty lacking. Its been parsed by a lot of people and it is a lot lower than a dps classes. Not saying it shouldnt be lower, personally i pretty much only raid or group on my captain so I always go healing and dont care, but to trait for dps it should be a lot closer than it currently is. Think of a guardian traiting OP, sure they may still not do quite as much damage as a dps class, but its a heck of a lot closer than a capt traiting for dps.
    Oh and survivability does not equal dps. Sure you can take on 6+ mobs at once, so can a guard, but it takes a long time to kill them which still means your dps is low

This is true,

But this is something that is not going to be easy with the captain. A captain is designed as a Jack of all trades class. You can not do what turbine did with RKs, Mini, Guards. They get a very significant boost to their DPS at the cost of the efficiency and ability of their primary rolls.

You can not really do much about that with a captain short of major redesign and keep things balanced.

Having said that, you also need to look at DPS from a larger perspective. Many DPS classes can take on 2-3 and some times more mobs but when they are done, they need to sit there to wait for their moral and power to restore and some CD to come up.
    Captain does not. I can take on 4+ mobs and yes it will take me a lot longer then other DPS classes but after i am done i can take on the next 4+ mobs immediately.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

I would call your build "How I solo without paying too much to shift back and forth to raid-configuration"

Solo I loves me my archer pet. Along with my archer soldier it makes skirmishing comical. I feel like I should have a sipping martini emote where I wave one hand negligently in the direction of the enemy and my girls go make inverse porcupines of Sauron's lackeys.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000002180/signature.png]Bleys[/charsig]

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2