We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Questions on Warden Tanking

Heya guys, just recently started lvling my warden and it has been a sheer pleasure to solo on him. Although, in a group environment, I have seen alot of complaints about most wardens not being able to hold aggro and experienced it myself with a kinmate using a warden tanking in SG. Here are my question:

1) What gambit rotation should a warden use to effectively hold aggro in a group environment?

2) Should I trait for shield or fist for class traits? Which traits from either line are most desirable?

I am really eager to actually start tanking for my kin for instances and would like to be well prepared for the road to come. I apologize if these questions were asked before.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000019c14b/01008/signature.png]Galadthingil[/charsig]
    "I am the ox of the seven combats. I am the vulture upon the rocks. I am a wild boar in valour. I am the point of the spear of battle. I am the watchful war-hawk. I am a Warden."

Re: Questions on Warden Tanking

I got a bit burnt out on my warden in the upper 50s from trying to grind deeds so I can't comment from direct experience in the higher instances.

I do seem to recall people saying that the threat component of Piercing Blow still works on the brutes when blood pact is up.

I'm sure others can comment on specific rotations for a place like SG, but I tend to think it depends on the group. If you have a champ or others using AoEs you might need to start out with a masteried Defiant Challenge for the forced attack, or Exultation of Battle. Conviction has a threat transfer to it so I would use that once things are more under control.

If you can get your fellowship to let you ambush / run in first and get off an aoe threat gambit before they unleash, it will help you get a head start. Otherwise you might have to spam Piercing Blow and switch targets to stay in the lead.

As far as traits go a lot of people like to trait 5 shield plus the capstone for the increased hot pulses and survivability.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000181e2f/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Now I myself prefer battles of trickery to those of the blade when dealing with fellows thrice my height and one-tenth my wit..." -Lithuifin, Healer of The Eavespires

I suggest you take a look at this guide: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Warden:_Tanking_Guide, it worked wonders for me when I first started tanking
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000e90bf/signature.png]Hamnog[/charsig]

Thanks for the input guys! That guide really helps with planning my setup and actually schooling my kinmate on his build properly
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000019c14b/01008/signature.png]Galadthingil[/charsig]
    "I am the ox of the seven combats. I am the vulture upon the rocks. I am a wild boar in valour. I am the point of the spear of battle. I am the watchful war-hawk. I am a Warden."

Part of being successful as a Warden is teaching your group how to play with a Warden. Our aggro skills are solid, but they take a long time to build up. I like to think of it as "soft" aggro. We keep the attention of lots of mobs and we do better with more mobs on us, but they are not locked on to us. Constantly repeat to your group, "you break it, you bought it."

The basic battle plan is as follows. Warden goes in first and gets "soft" aggro on everything. DPS classes should share target assist and peel off individual, low morale mobs to kill. Once the "weenie" mobs are dead, your aggro should be built up on the boss (or highest morale mob) so that you hold it's aggro while your group attacks and kills it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000ad326/01008/signature.png]Hunberht[/charsig]

Precise Blow is your friend, stick 3-5 of these babies on roughly anyone in the instance and I would challange anyone to pull it off me lol (bosses on the otherhand would need 5-6 at the start and a couple back-to-back every 20-30sec while spamming conviction after the initial PB's)

I dont know if the SG warden you played with is very skilled at his warden because I normally have at least one slap happy 2nd age wielding champ in my group and they *almost* never pull aggro (almost - sometimes I get sidtracked and stat my DPS rotation on a boss for 30sec or so and all of a sudden I am spearing his back o.O) but again, 3-5 PB's and hes back on me

The ONLY times I really had trouble holding aggro is 1. when a ####### was in SS on the 2nd boss and I spammed PB and couldnt figure out for the life of me why I wasnt holding aggro until the other hunter told him to drop SS and after a few sec he was back on me for the duration of the fight.

2. I have found that if a champ is AoEing a couple of guards or mobs next to a brute in the instance, it is nearly impossible for me to hold aggo (I hold him if there is 1 guard/mob but if ther is 2+, i dont even try). I think this is because he is causing so much DPS threat (especially multiplied for multi-mobs) Even spamming PB makes it impossible to hold.

Just make sure the warden tank sticks 3-5 PB's on any mob in the instance and keep conviction ticking away and he shouldnt have any problem holding agro, and again, if he does, 3-5 PB's will have you locked for another 30s or so.
    Elendilmir
    Kinship: [URL="http://e-apex.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=256768&sid=3b8e42d88e54213114e395e1cdd477ae"]Apex[/URL]
    Garcimili - 85 GRD /// Arthilios - 85 HTR /// RonSwanson - Defiler

a town, at least thats what I think it is

for multi-mob pulls I usually go war-cry>EoB>war-cry>conviction and, while sometimes things get off for a few seconds (especially if they resist) I usually have aggro on everything after conviction goes off. If anything isn't on my I throw out another war-cry or chase down that wild mob and get a precise blow in.

for boss fights I start with 3 precise blows, conviction, precise blow, dance of war then start a dps rotation, keeping up the conviction and I have it for the rest of the fight.

as far as traits go, one of the most important things, for me, is the shield capstone, at least until you get a healer that is pretty comfortable with a warden, then you can actually tank while traited spear and syphon power to dps instead of keeping yourself alive (with avoidances and -inc damage gear/virtues, it's no problem) but I wouldn't recommend tanking dps in a pug group or until you get decent gear
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001424c1/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Paper is balanced, nerf Rock. ~Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyEl View Post
    Heya guys, just recently started lvling my warden and it has been a sheer pleasure to solo on him. Although, in a group environment, I have seen alot of complaints about most wardens not being able to hold aggro and experienced it myself with a kinmate using a warden tanking in SG. Here are my question:

1) What gambit rotation should a warden use to effectively hold aggro in a group environment?

2) Should I trait for shield or fist for class traits? Which traits from either line are most desirable?

I am really eager to actually start tanking for my kin for instances and would like to be well prepared for the road to come. I apologize if these questions were asked before.
    in regards to question 1: dont look for other peoples rotations, make your own. we all have different play styles and values and some wardens suffer horably from these borrowed rotations because they are not statted to support them, use them to their potential, etc. In general just use precise blow on all of the mobs and keep its effects going. for multiple mobs you should also use war cry, your leeches, and your threat stealing skills, make sure you keep conviction up and running. what you do beyond that is up to you.

in regards to question 2: every trait line has its advantages and problems. I usually tank with my three masteries up and 5 shield traits. Spear and Fist traits do not add as much aggro as you might think. you should find it easy enough to get aggro while shield traited. shield traiting is also nice because it will help you survive all of the aggro you pull.

if you still find yourself having trouble, try getting a set of legendary weapons dedicated soley to tanking. also monitor what your group is doing. make sure the mini isnt in War-Speech, the hunter isnt in strength stance, etc. frankly sometimes being unable to grab aggro isnt your fault when your group does stupid things.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000019bd6e/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [size=-2]Ghost Bear see problem. Nice peoples looking at Horse mouth. Ghost bear look at Horse belly. Horse make good snack![/size]