We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Leveling legendaries

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I have been reading the other threads and I know about the heritage rune not working on level 60 and above. I can sorta live with that because I have no choice.

But, my question is this. What should I be doing as far as upgrading my legendary weapons...the weapon itself? I got rid of the starter one as soon as I could. I like my axe and don't really care to upgrade every other level. What and when should I upgrade?

I am actually considering just keeping this level 55 axe until I can get the weapon that I want at level 65. Is this stupid? Is there a mid-level weapon that I should be aiming for...say a level 60ish?

Basically, I don't want to start over every other level with a new weapon that has maybe 5% additional dps and still have to start over at level 60. What is a really good progression of weapons?

Thanks for your help.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000014a1a3/01001/signature.png]Kegheld[/charsig]

Re: Leveling legendaries

I will be honest on my alts, I used the started LI all the way until i was 60. I just saved up the IXP runes and kept a bunch of level 60 LIs in the bank. I was lucky in that almost all my alts had lvl 60 2nd age LIs waiting for them.

With the new ID system, I would really look at finding LIS with the starting legicies you really want. There is not a lot of difference between a lvl 50 and level 52 or even 53 weapon or class item. Change out as you wish but I would wait at least a few levels ubless you find a LI you really like.

As for upgrading your LI, the only way is through Scrools of delving and empowerment. The delveing scrolls come from mirkwood, not sure if you can bater for any in Moria, and the empowerment scrools you can get from the Legendary trader at the skrimish camps.
    I wonder what IS behind that waterfall?
    The Player Council knows!

Your level 55 weapon will do you fine for now. Don't worry about upgrading every other level. Bank as many Moria IXP runes as you can, levelling your current LIs on mob and quest IXP. While you're levelling, keep an eye on the auction hall for a level 59/60 second age weapon that has legacies you like. They're cheap now, probably only run you a few gold. When you find one, buy it out and bank it until you can equip it. Then dump all your stored IXP runes into it.

The 2nd Age will have better DPS than any 3rd age up to level 62/63, and by then you should be looking for a level 65 Third Age with good legacies. A 59/60 2nd Age has good enough DPS to get by at level 65 until you find an acceptable replacement.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

You should definitely get rid of your L55 weapon at L60, preferably replacing it with a 2nd age from the AH. This can last you until L65. One thing that could be added to the prior good advice is that you will want to be leveling up other items on the side (for example, bartering for them in Dolven View with kuzdhul tablets and rusty dwarf tools) and deconstructing them as you go in order to start accumulating some good relics to slot.

So, you might as well be trading those in for some on-level weapons at L57 and L59, which means you might as well be leveling a few candidates on the side that could potentially replace your L55 if you look at it say at item level 11 and see the DPS potential and decide it could better than what you have.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

So.....

1. Keep turning in my rusted tools and tablets to get, level, and deconstruct LIs for reliccs.

2. Replace my level 55 with a 57 or a 59 if they look really good at level 11.

3. Definitely replace with a level 60, 2nd age and then with a level 65 third age at the appropriate levels.

4. Save skirmish marks for my level 60-65 weapons and just level my under-60 weapons with mob and quest ixp.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for all the help.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000014a1a3/01001/signature.png]Kegheld[/charsig]

I would recomend that you get you a lvl 61 LI weapon and level it up. In Mirkwood you can max out (or come close) your weapon in no time at all. This will also help you in working twoard your lvl 65 LI. Because the rune that you get will only work on lvl 61 to 65. It was much less of a grin IMHO.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000c5598/signature.png]Tychicus[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Mav145 View Post
    So.....

1. Keep turning in my rusted tools and tablets to get, level, and deconstruct LIs for reliccs.

2. Replace my level 55 with a 57 or a 59 if they look really good at level 11.

3. Definitely replace with a level 60, 2nd age and then with a level 65 third age at the appropriate levels.

4. Save skirmish marks for my level 60-65 weapons and just level my under-60 weapons with mob and quest ixp.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for all the help.
    I wouldn't bother replacing your 55 with another 3rd age if you are happy with it for now. You will out-level a 57 or 59 before you can get it to a workable state. Just find a nice 59/60 2nd age and equip it when you can. Leveling is so fast that unless you're swimming in high-value IXP runes you will not max it out by the time you are 65.

You might want to consider looking for a 59/60 2nd age rune as well, as it will get more points and starting legacies than a 3rd age. If you can find one with the legacies you like (no matter the tier) you can spend skirmish marks on Lesser Scrolls of Empowerment which are way, way cheaper than the scrolls required for 61+ LIs. My philosophy is, don't burn empowerment scrolls on something you aren't sure you're going to keep for a long time.

But yeah, level weapons in your un-used slots at all times. If you have a lot of spare LIs/Dwarf Tools/Tablets, level them to 2 and decon for relics. If you are short on LIs/tools/tablets, level them to 11 or 21 and decon for relics & IXP runes. Once you're 61+, level 61+ LIs to 11/21/31 to get Mirkwood IXP runes out of them, which you can save for when you find a lvl 65 weapon you like.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
    I would recomend that you get you a lvl 61 LI weapon and level it up. In Mirkwood you can max out (or come close) your weapon in no time at all. This will also help you in working twoard your lvl 65 LI. Because the rune that you get will only work on lvl 61 to 65. It was much less of a grin IMHO.
    You can use the Mirkwood runes on any LI. I've been suing the ones from level 11 decons of 61+ LIs to level a 60 FA rune while I wait for SA's of FA's to be easier/in game at 65.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000011f5ce/signature.png]Thoriligoeszapzap[/charsig][/center]