We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Player, several questions.

Good evening folks! I was one of those die-hard LOTR Types who just JUMPED at this game upon release. Sadly, I didn't stick with it due mostly to lack of Role-Play, as well as the lack of ability to sheath and unsheath weapons, and lack of /say chat bubbles.

I know it sounds odd but they're just pet peeves of mine. Im curious if anyone can tell me if:

A.) Chat bubbles have been added to the players' speech.

B.) Sheathing / unsheathing weapons has been added.

C.) RP still exsists, and if so, what server?

Re: Returning Player, several questions.

A) You can turn on 'Chat Bubbles' but rather than putting actual bubbles, it just floats the text above the head of the person talking (no white background).

B) Nope.

C) No official RP server. The unofficial one is...umm...Landroval? Elendimir? I can't remember off hand.
    EDIT: It's Landroval.
    Pretending that something didn't happen, doesn't make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    A) You can turn on 'Chat Bubbles' but rather than putting actual bubbles, it just floats the text above the head of the person talking (no white background).

B) Nope.

C) No official RP server. The unofficial one is...umm...Landroval? Elendimir? I can't remember off hand.
    EDIT: It's Landroval.
    You are kidding me! You STILL can't unsheath and sheath your weapons?! It was one of the reasons I left. When I came back I just assumed it was fixed as it seemed like a bug rather than somebody just intentionally not putting in the feature.

But I couldn't find the button for it and so I checked the forums and here we are... years later and still no sheath option. It's just one of those oversights that is indicative to how other features may or may not be implemented in the future. Has there ever been developer response as to when, if ever, they will fix this? I say "fix" because I still refuse to believe Turbine would pass up such a coding no-brainer to please a rather large crowd.

I'd have to say that it appears most people don't care about the sheathing thing. This is the first complaint I've heard about it in over a year.

We don't have a rowing animation, either, so don't ask about seeing the Fellowship off in Lorien.

Again, no one is really bothered by this. We just play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebria View Post
    I'd have to say that it appears most people don't care about the sheathing thing. This is the first complaint I've heard about it in over a year.

We don't have a rowing animation, either, so don't ask about seeing the Fellowship off in Lorien.

Again, no one is really bothered by this. We just play the game.
    That is crazy. Sneaking up on a baddie with my weapons in their sheathes just looks so dumb. I guess my complaint is that, no matter how small of a demographic that is bothered by this is, it is a simple addition that doesn't require any animation additions.

With all the bells and whistles in the game that, individually, only please a small margin of players, this one seems too easy to pass up.

So, I take that as a no? No word from Turbine either way on this?

I would say, no, there's no word on this. It's just not even on the radar screen.

Everyone is up in arms right now about LOTRO going free-to-play this fall, the changes coming to instances, the new LOTRO store, and a new map area called Enedwaith.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthCrow View Post
    That is crazy. Sneaking up on a baddie with my weapons in their sheathes just looks so dumb. I guess my complaint is that, no matter how small of a demographic that is bothered by this is, it is a simple addition that doesn't require any animation additions.
    Ah. I couldn't understand why you would want to run around with your weapons unsheathed until I read that. I think burglars are the only ones that would have that problem, every other class unsheathes their weapons once they get in combat range.

Cool Re: Returning Player, several questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebria View Post
    I would say, no, there's no word on this. It's just not even on the radar screen.

Everyone is up in arms right now about LOTRO going free-to-play this fall, the changes coming to instances, the new LOTRO store, and a new map area called Enedwaith.
    Yeah, good point. I guess I'm acting like that guy who walks up to a horrible highway collision scene and complains about his cold coffee.

I've commented on a couple of threads also talking about this.

I completely understand the problem with unsheathing a weapon in towns etc, however when a character is threatening another in an rp sense isn't it rather tedious when you have to /EMOTE that you raise your sword in deffiance rather then truly draw it?

Not to mention aswell that I pride this game on setting the bar on so many levels yet my loremaster still has his staff on his back like all the other mindless MMORPG's with no attention to detail! This is Middle Earth, people walk with canes and traverling sticks all over the place yet I find myself asking, why can't we?

/unsheath isn't much to ask for and if you give people the option I am sure the RP communities will remain as respectful as ever and keep check on those abusing this simple yet integral toggled emote.