We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which weapon type is best?

I'm looking for legendary weapons, and I'm wondering if I should focus on getting spears for the bleed, sword for the +hit, or what?

The Weapon Master Legendary trait obviously favors those 3 types, but I'm wondering if one type or another has been proven to be far superior than the others. I tried looking in the sticky at the top with no luck.

Re: Which weapon type is best?

It's not in the sticky because with SoM, the "best" is up in the air now. The bleed is nice and look cool cosmetically, swords are great for raids when dealing with mobs above level cap, and the club's debuff can come in handy. But ultimately none of the 3 are noticeably better than the next. If you're a man the man sword bonus can make up for the loss in DPS when missing the bleed from the spear.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000003b62c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Originally Posted by [B]Graalx2 [/B]-Directed at Wardens!
    You guys!!! There is such a thing as being too efficient.

None of them are the best IMO.

Sword is better than clubs if you are man, clubs are better than sword if you are hobbit, Spear is better than both for DPS, but only if the bleed is applied. In the end any differences will be marginal.

Just pick one depending on what bonus you want. Slight +to-hit, a little attack speed slow, or more dps.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d475/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Nightmares - 30 Hobbit Warden - Riddermark
    Endaa - 65 Man Warden - Brandywine
    Enda - 65 Hobbit Burglar - Brandywine
    Suvi - 65 Elf Hunter - Brandywine

Or you can do just do what I do and go for the one that looks the coolest.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001b86b5/01002/signature.png]Tanneth[/charsig]

I did a little math a while ago comparing spear bleeds and the +hit chance + man sword bonus and it came out a wash. My advice - men and elves sword or spear, hobbits spear.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

A lot of wardens will tell you to use the sword or club because "all of the spear buffs youll get only add up to about 2% more damage" I find i do MUCH more damage than that with my spear than i do with my sword. of course, each weapon has its own pros and cons, in the end though the argument boils down to whichever looks cooler.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000019bd6e/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [size=-2]Ghost Bear see problem. Nice peoples looking at Horse mouth. Ghost bear look at Horse belly. Horse make good snack![/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Regero View Post
    A lot of wardens will tell you to use the sword or club because "all of the spear buffs youll get only add up to about 2% more damage" I find i do MUCH more damage than that with my spear than i do with my sword. of course, each weapon has its own pros and cons, in the end though the argument boils down to whichever looks cooler.
    I have yet to see anyone prove this. I hold that it's a wash between swords / spears / clubs depending on race.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    The bleed itself is 135 every 5 seconds - 27 DPS
    and is only proc about 60% of the time (27*2/3) = 18 DPS

If I get a 2% bonus from man-sword bonus and my DPS is 300, then I get 6 DPS back, and if It hits 3% more that's another 3% increase in DPS, which is another 9.
    = 15 DPS.

So for me it looks close to a wash, but with a higher hit rate.
    Last edited by geoboy; Mar 24 2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

I can't really decide to be honest. I pvmp a lot and would like to think that the to-hit bonus helps out there. On the other side of the fence having the spear bleed proc alongside my other stacking bleeds would just be that much more annoying.

Completely off topic and a semi derail but................ What would everyone think if Unerring Strike added the bleeding from the neck animation from the Filikul raid?

I like using spear. When I solo, I try to make sure and have the 3 bleeds stacked on the mob as much as possible... and I normally get the spear bleed with the building of onslaught and wall of steel.

I have never not used a spear since the first time I got one... I just always like the extra bleed, plus IMO the spear/java combo makes a Warden
    Elendilmir
    Kinship: [URL="http://e-apex.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=256768&sid=3b8e42d88e54213114e395e1cdd477ae"]Apex[/URL]
    Garcimili - 85 GRD /// Arthilios - 85 HTR /// RonSwanson - Defiler

Without having done tests, here's my common sense (you can decide if you think it is or not) breakdown:

Spear bleeds are common damage, so they are going to be better for mobs that have relatively low common defense.

Swords have -% miss chance, so they're going to be better when fighting things above your level.

Clubs slow things down, so other than the racial bonus, there's no damage bonus here -- just survivability.

So, the real test would be a man or elf warden using spears or swords. If swords win, then it's worth testing hobbits with clubs. If not, spears will win for hobbits.

So, common sense says that spears are going to be great against even-level trash mobs, where swords will pull ahead against things like instance bosses at the level cap which are strong against common damage and 3 levels higher than the cap.
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Riddermark (Officer -- Is A Small Fellowship)
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Brandywine (Semi-Retired)
    Numerous alts across three servers