We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hardware Setup for Wardens

hey all. I've been gradually leveling my warden, loving the class so far, and i'm just wondering something. One of my kin mates is a very good Warden and we got talking recently and he was saying that he uses a gamer keyboard (with basically all the numbers on the left side of the keyboard so you can keep your right hand on the mouse). Is this something that is essential for playing the class effectively or can that same efficiency be matched with a regular keyboard?
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/beorhtred/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000004de7/01008/signature.png]Beorhtred[/charsig][/URL]
    Holmac Slyfoot - 65 Hobbit Burglar ~ Elendilmir

Re: Hardware Setup for Wardens

I have no problems with a regular keyboard. How many numbers could you need? You have 3 skills that translate into the rest, add the masteries maybe, but I don't find it that hard to move my hand real quick to the 6 or 7 key.

Edit: Although I keep my masteries at 1-4 anyways, just on the shift level lol
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000003b62c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Originally Posted by [B]Graalx2 [/B]-Directed at Wardens!
    You guys!!! There is such a thing as being too efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorhtred View Post
    hey all. I've been gradually leveling my warden, loving the class so far, and i'm just wondering something. One of my kin mates is a very good Warden and we got talking recently and he was saying that he uses a gamer keyboard (with basically all the numbers on the left side of the keyboard so you can keep your right hand on the mouse). Is this something that is essential for playing the class effectively or can that same efficiency be matched with a regular keyboard?
    It's all about what works for you. Some are perfectly efficient on a regular keyboard. Some use the numpad, etc. Myself, I find devices such as you describe indispensable; I wouldn't want to play without one. Many (most) do fine without one, though.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000013d3e9/signature.png]Derrial[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

I click on my masteries and hotkey everything else. Probably not the best habit to be in, especially since we have so few actual skill buttons anyway, but it works fine for me.
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Riddermark (Officer -- Is A Small Fellowship)
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Brandywine (Semi-Retired)
    Numerous alts across three servers

well my warden's only level 32 right now so efficiency isnt a huge problem, I have my basic gambits and my default on 1-4. Currently I have my stances on alt+1-3 (though I could probably move them if I need to) and my javelin on ctrl+1-5. My gambit clearing skills are on shift+1-2. the setup works fine right now but when got to reading up on the mastery skills I got to thinking that something will end up being moved to a less accessible key.

part of my problem is I dont use a traditional straight keyboard but an ergonomic one...
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/beorhtred/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000004de7/01008/signature.png]Beorhtred[/charsig][/URL]
    Holmac Slyfoot - 65 Hobbit Burglar ~ Elendilmir

WASD for movement, mouse for everything else in combat. Yes, I'm a freak.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    WASD for movement, mouse for everything else in combat. Yes, I'm a freak.
    I'm that way on a lot of my classes. Except sometimes I switch it up and just use the mouse to move so my hand can work the hotkeys.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000003b62c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Normally I use arrow keys for movement and click everything else on my burg and hunter...

But on my warden I move with the mouse, and keyboard everything else. 1-4 for gambits, F1-4 for jav skills, qwerty for other things.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d475/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Nightmares - 30 Hobbit Warden - Riddermark
    Endaa - 65 Man Warden - Brandywine
    Enda - 65 Hobbit Burglar - Brandywine
    Suvi - 65 Elf Hunter - Brandywine

For everything but my Warden I am a WASD and mouse. For the Warden I have mapped all the keys to my number pad on my keyboard. I am adjusting to it some what slowly, I have not gotten muscle memory for the Masteries and Javelin skills yet.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000bd0ff/signature.png]Aidus[/charsig]

"Live and Let Die"

I use the keyboard for 1,2,3 and movement, use the mouse for masteries and have the execute button mapped to my back button.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

I use the keyboard for most skills, with core skills on or within easy reach of the home row. The mouse is for movement and targeting (back button toggles auto-run, center button targets nearest foe, forward button tabs to next target).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000c4e94/01008/signature.png]Kirahlee[/charsig]

I use keyboard for all skills, strafing, and running. I use mouse for looking, turning, push to talk, and I have ctrl, shift, and alt mapped to mouse buttons so that I can fire all of my skills without pushing more than one key with my left hand.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000a4a22/01003/signature.png]Brathistir[/charsig]

I use WASD for Moving, QE for kiting, and the mouse for everything else.

When I am on a boss where I need to tank AND interrupt, I build onslaught and then spam Fi (with the 3 key) until I see the induction then hit 4 real quick for the interrupt, other than that, Im a point and clicker...

Even though most use the keyboard and map all the keys or use the fancy G13/G15 or whatever those things are, my pointing and clicking has been good enough for almost daily /tells to see if I'm available to tank
    Elendilmir
    Kinship: [URL="http://e-apex.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=256768&sid=3b8e42d88e54213114e395e1cdd477ae"]Apex[/URL]
    Garcimili - 85 GRD /// Arthilios - 85 HTR /// RonSwanson - Defiler

How do all your mouse clickers keep track of what's going on on the battlefield? I mean, I keep my vitals down near the quickbars so that I can see my morale/power, debuffs, and cooldowns at a quick glance, but I'm generally looking all around the battlefield, checking other fellow/raid members' morale/power/debuffs, etc, while building gambits. How do you handle keeping tabs on what's going on, in order to best anticipate what you'll want to do next, while clicking on icons? Just curious.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000013d3e9/signature.png]Derrial[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Dalthyn View Post
    How do all your mouse clickers keep track of what's going on on the battlefield? I mean, I keep my vitals down near the quickbars so that I can see my morale/power, debuffs, and cooldowns at a quick glance, but I'm generally looking all around the battlefield, checking other fellow/raid members' morale/power/debuffs, etc, while building gambits. How do you handle keeping tabs on what's going on, in order to best anticipate what you'll want to do next, while clicking on icons? Just curious.
    That's the biggest drawback. I'm trying to wean myself, but finding it extremely difficult. You do get very proficient at clicking, I barely need a glance to hit my masteries.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

My setup for Warden is the same. Vitals down near my bars for faster viewing. I still scan back and forth between vitals, bars, and battlefield constantly, though. It's slower than using keys, yes, but only marginally so. A sacrifice within acceptable limits for me in exchange for not having to completely change how I interact with the game between characters.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    My setup for Warden is the same. Vitals down near my bars for faster viewing. I still scan back and forth between vitals, bars, and battlefield constantly, though. It's slower than using keys, yes, but only marginally so. A sacrifice within acceptable limits for me in exchange for not having to completely change how I interact with the game between characters.
    I don't know man....

doing sp[fi-sh][sp-fi]*gmbt takes me about 1 second on the keyboard. It would take some crazy clicking to be that fast on the mouse.... Or you would have to custom lay out each gambit on the quickbars, which would take up a lot of real estate.

I work with computers all day long for work as well as pleasure, and I can say from 15 years experience that keyboard is faster than mouse 99% of the time in almost any application. It's the difference between digital and analog input
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000a4a22/01003/signature.png]Brathistir[/charsig]

It's not that the action is any faster, it's just being more comfortable with that setup. Those that mouse click are used to it so they can do it just as fast as if you were to take away the ability to click and forced them to use the keyboard.

I actually have my vitals in the upper left and masteries on the lower right, and I'm running a 22" wide-screen. I just do it like I drive my car I guess. I make quick glances all over the screen, as if I were checking my rear-view mirrors. I really don't find it too hard except when I'm backed against a wall, but that's because it's hard to see my mouse pointer amidst all the flashy animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Barruktp View Post
    I don't know man....

doing sp[fi-sh][sp-fi]*gmbt takes me about 1 second on the keyboard. It would take some crazy clicking to be that fast on the mouse.... Or you would have to custom lay out each gambit on the quickbars, which would take up a lot of real estate.

I work with computers all day long for work as well as pleasure, and I can say from 15 years experience that keyboard is faster than mouse 99% of the time in almost any application. It's the difference between digital and analog input
    I've got my masteries laid out in a single pattern that makes sense to me, and they are all within about half an inch of each other. I can pop off that gambit in about a second as well, but that's not really important. All that really matters is being able to get things done by the time masteries come off cooldown. For example, if you use:

1-32-13
    1-23-1
    1-31
    1-21
    12-1

That rotation is going to take 15 seconds, regardless of whether you use hotkeys or click, as long as you are skilled enough not to take a long time clicking.

I agree it's more efficient to hotkey everything, but in practice, it doesn't matter as much as you'd think due to mastery cooldowns. The main reason I click instead of hotkey is that I found when I had my masteries on alt, ctrl and shift, I'd frequently mis-key them. I tried using the number pad for a while, but I couldn't deal with having to move my hands around that much during play.
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Riddermark (Officer -- Is A Small Fellowship)
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Brandywine (Semi-Retired)
    Numerous alts across three servers

the biggest issue (partially due to playing 7 classes) for me with the Warden is remembering all the gambit sequences. Because of this, I use a "matrix layout" that serves as a memory cue for the masteries:
    Code:
    ALT    spear        x            (shield->spear)  (fist->spear)
    CTL    shield  (spear->shield)          x         (fist->shield)
    SHIFT  fist     (spear->fist)    (shield->fist)        x
    I then have the javelin skills on the basic numbered slots.

At a glance, I can tell which mastery sequence means what, just by location, without thinking about what each symbol means. I then mouse-click. I have experienced no delay, since inevitably I have a "click in queue" as I step through the sequences.

Now, if I get distracted, I'll screw up a sequence, but much less than I used to.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000024683/01001/signature.png]Kreegan[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [COLOR=teal][SIZE=1]ALTS: Schartestuffe - 65HNT/SMK Woodworker/SM Farmer || Maggae - 65MNS/SMK Jeweler/SM Cook || BilaeBaub - 65BRG/SMK Tailor || Ealkimme - 65LM/SMK Scholar/SM Weaponsmith || Koracion - 65RK/SMK Tailor || Ealmariah - 65WRD/SMK Weaponsmith || Ealdaebwen - 47CPT|| Kraeli - 39CHM || Kittenne - 26MNS[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by tanis0 View Post
    I've got my masteries laid out in a single pattern that makes sense to me, and they are all within about half an inch of each other. I can pop off that gambit in about a second as well, but that's not really important.

I agree it's more efficient to hotkey everything, but in practice, it doesn't matter as much as you'd think due to mastery cooldowns. The main reason I click instead of hotkey is that I found when I had my masteries on alt, ctrl and shift, I'd frequently mis-key them. I tried using the number pad for a while, but I couldn't deal with having to move my hands around that much during play.
    Well to each his own I guess. I had trouble manipulating ctrl, shift, alt, as well as the number keys as well until I assigned those keys to my mouse. For my warden, the masteries are Shift+1 through Shift+6, with shift being my thumb button on the mouse. I don't move my left hand around the keyboard at all, to me Warden's Triumph is literally

1 6(RH thumb) 2(RH thumb) 4

some classes have to mash tons of buttons in order to play their class. wardens can perfomr about 90% of their skills with just the 1-4 buttons. In general you should just be able to move with the WASD keys and reach up to hit your gambit keys.

Masteries make the situation a bit more difficult though. I set my masteries to ctrl 123 and alt123 and that works fine for me. I use my mouse for my jave skills and such, dont need to worry about hitting buttons fast when im at range and can take my time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000019bd6e/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [size=-2]Ghost Bear see problem. Nice peoples looking at Horse mouth. Ghost bear look at Horse belly. Horse make good snack![/size]

I remapped one bar of my quickslots to my right mouse button for masteries. So I've got gambit builders on 1-4, and masteries on RMB+1-7. That way I keep right hand on mouse and left hand on number keys and I don't have to fumble around for alt or ctrl. It plays much faster for me on gambits, and I just click around for everything else.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000fd732/01008/signature.png]Leighloo[/charsig]

[I]There was some scattered clapping, but most of them were trying to work it out and see if it came to a nerf.[/I]

I still have my vitals in the default location in the top left, everthing on 3 quick + 1 hot bars at the bottom.

I havent run solo in a while but I rarely had a problems keeping track of my morale/power bar and debuffs as well as the mastery CD's. I cant tell you how I do it except that I normally play for a couple ours every night to wind down from work before bed so watching my vitals, my skills/CD's, make sure and hit the right builders for the gambits I want and watch my surroundings becomes 2nd nature (like someone mentioned with driving, the keyboard method would be like the auto tranny, and the mouse is a manual... its another thing to worry about, but its still doable)

Plus... I got fat fingers so I think it would be difficult to move my hand quickly to hit the ctrl or alt button's with my thumb
    Elendilmir
    Kinship: [URL="http://e-apex.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=256768&sid=3b8e42d88e54213114e395e1cdd477ae"]Apex[/URL]
    Garcimili - 85 GRD /// Arthilios - 85 HTR /// RonSwanson - Defiler