We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why are Captains low in numbers?

Whenever someone asks which classes have low populations, captains are most of the time the number one answer.

Why is that?
    What is it about the class that makes us low in numbers?

If you ask me I could not tell you. I can't decide if it's just a perfect storm of not being the primary class of anything. Other than buffing that is. Or if it's the lack luster pet, or what not. I really do not know.

I like the class. It's gotten some what slow to level, but I was told that would be expected.

What do you think?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002df585/01008/signature.png]Malasphant[/charsig]

Re: Why are Captains low in numbers?

It's a class that offers most rewarding play at endgame imo.

A lot of people level solo, which creates these issues like the sluggish leveling and no main focus at first, and I think they just get worn out.
    Beastwise - Captain, R15 | Shock and Awe | Gladden

It really is the fact that captains are quite slow to level solo, in a group they make everything faster, but solo at low levels its horrible.

Most people who roll captains don't get past level 30 unfortunately (unsubstantiated by just my opinion )
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

agreed. I've played 7 classes to level 30, 5 to 65, and captain was by far the worst leveling experience of them all. That said, he's quickly overtaking my champion as my favorite 65.
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

Raid perspective? you only want 2 captains. You may have 4 hunters or whatever but you probably only want 2 captains. Same with groups, the dps of a captain doesn't justify not taking a different class in the second spot.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

I have actually been bringing my RK in healing mode to BG instead of my Captain as my RK is a lot better at healing, Absorbing damage from the whole group and even can use bubbles more often, even on people outside the fellowship.
    [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Nandir - Caradhraz - Alundil - [SIZE=1]and others[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Sienna]Burzumgoth - Nardur - Zhugash - [SIZE=1]and others[/SIZE][/COLOR]

For the opposite reason that there are 500000000002346543576 hunters
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Dunno about your server. But on landy there are 8 million captains these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PF-Grumpy View Post
    Dunno about your server. But on landy there are 8 million captains these days.
    Do you mean at higher levels/ cap?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002df585/01008/signature.png]Malasphant[/charsig]

While Captains maybe under-represented overall, there are still a lot more of them in comparison to other classes then there were in the bk9/10 era. I can recall being one of a handful of active endgame Captains on my server, which changed pretty quickly after the Month of the Captain.
    [font=Palatino Linotype][color=#66CCFF]Graf[/color][color=#FFD52A] | [/color][color=#FF3300]Musta[/color][/font]

Maybe most people find doing a captains job is boring even at end game and the ones that would play him tend to go as a mini first?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000026f1d/signature.png]Chamberlain[/charsig]

12. Re: Why are Captains low in numbers?

Aren't all the support classes (Burg, LM, Cappie) towards the bottom of the rolls? I don't see it as a big deal. And I agree, cappies have become more numerous on Landroval.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    Aren't all the support classes (Burg, LM, Cappie) towards the bottom of the rolls? I don't see it as a big deal. And I agree, cappies have become more numerous on Landroval.
    Burglar is definitely the rarest on Landroval, and after that the Lore-master. Then the Captain. Maybe Warden after that. One thing the rarest three or four classes have in common may be that they're trickier to play than some others, although I don't know how difficult a Captain is to play so that is just a guess.
    "I am dreading the publication, for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Quote Originally Posted by Replica View Post
    Whenever someone asks which classes have low populations, captains are most of the time the number one answer.

Depend on the server - mine is full of captain and i was impress to see how many there was at each expansion...

Why is that?

Why people would not want to play the classes is usually because they don't know how to play it.

What is it about the class that makes us low in numbers?

Nothing, its awesome - though a lot of people doesn't have a clue about how to play it. Though i prefer to let dust fall on mine and see people sucking at it. I would have other grief like what people expecting about you in end-game : Idome and Oathbreaker. Other then that your kinda useless.... I'm totally mind numbed

If you ask me I could not tell you. I can't decide if it's just a perfect storm of not being the primary class of anything. Other than buffing that is. Or if it's the lack luster pet, or what not. I really do not know.

Your opinion, mine is in orange

I like the class. It's gotten some what slow to level, but I was told that would be expected.

Well i jumped back on my champ and guardian a few weeks ago and i may understand why people would rather play the these two - its the lack of "shling" *sword noise* and teh feel of having uber dps or uber survivability (depend on which one) though captain is a good mix between plus the healing

What do you think?

Already all answered

stuff stuff stuff
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; Mar 22 2010 at 08:13 AM.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

My main alt is a captain, and I'm thinking it's because they're so horribly, horribly boring to solo with. I may be spoiled in having arguably the most fun solo class as my main (warden), but I'm STILL working on getting my captain through Mirkwood because solo questing is SO FREAKING BORING. I suspect a lot of people give up by the time they reach their 30s or so.

Although skirmishing helps a bit with the horribleness of soloing, I've found. Being your own little three man group is kind of fun (you, herald, soldier).
    [color=red]Urgbuz, Warleader - Urgbash, Reaver[/color]
    [color=lightblue]Zubgru Goldenmullet, Warden - Jonathalien, Hunter - Andraiel, Captain[/color]

i see a few reasons:

race. many people do not like to play the Human race in video games. i have one good friend who refuses on the grounds that he likes to roleplay what he isnt.

we lack the big number. gamers like big numbers. like the big crits, the big heals, the big mitigation. even gamers that claim to be all about the challenge will still use the best equipment when possible and try to maximize output. this keeps us from being as glamorous as other classes.

you need to be (more of) a leader to play this class. you HAVE to talk to your group.

reactive play. captains usually have to react to what is happening. we control the flow of the fight by dealing with what is presented.

there are some of my guesses. for me, this is the best class in any MMO i have played.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

I have always been under the impression that anyone can level a captain to 65. That being said if you don't have a full understanding of situations, the class mechanics, the group you are working with, and what to use when then you will fail.

Anyone can be a captain. Not everyone can be a good captain.
    Barst
    Skill and Valour
    Landroval

Agreed-- being a GOOD captain is a whole 'nother ball of wax!!

I suspect it is because leveling up a captain solo is S L O W and somewhat frustrating... I think folks give up somewhere between 30 and 50. I struggled with it all the way to 40 and then steadily started to enjoy it more and more.

I LOVE it now and am told I am one of the better captains around.. (hope it is true!)
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

If you have seen the complaints by many hunters that they can't get groups, etc., having fewer numbers to compete with is actually preferable .
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]

Not seeing this supposed "low numbers" thing - I've been seeing TONS of Captains at all levels on Arkenstone lately. Like, literally, it seems like every third person I see is a captain. It's sortof crazy. And this is across all levels - level 8 guy running through Coombe? Captain. Level 65 guy slumming somewhere? Captain. All levels in between too. No shortage there at all.

They seem a little rarer on Windfola at level cap, actually, than on Arkenstone in general.

Yeah I'm sorry I'm still not seeing it.

• When I was leveling my burg (last month) there was nothing but RKs, Wardens and Captains running around.
    • When I stand in the 21st there are level 55 Cappys everywhere
    • When I go to OG, there are captains everywhere
    • When I joined the open raid (nandir was there, who can blame me), we had 4 Captains.
    • We have more captains than we have spots for Captains in our BG raids
    *shrug*
    Last edited by PF-Grumpy; Mar 22 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PF-Grumpy View Post
    We have more captains than we have spots for Captains in our BG raids
    mind shipping some over? lol
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    mind shipping some over? lol
    I'll give them your number... but no promises

I agree with a few posters here. I think it takes a different sort of person to play a Captain. You have to enjoy helping others and making sure you finish the content, while not standing out with the huge damage or healing. In regards to leveling speed, I think it depends on your perspective. The Captain was my first character I made, so I had no point of comparison. Personally I never had an issue with the speed, because I was experiencing everything for the first time in my first and only MMO I will ever play.

Well about the low/high good/bad captain points, maybe i did not explained my point correctly. So here it is.

low/high number. It used to be less played then other classes though today the captain population is more then healthy. Maybe on some server they are a bit more uncommon but on some server i'm sure there are enough to make me sick and roll something else.

The good/bad captain. That is a question of experience and understanding of the game mechanic and how to counter the **** that is throw at you. A good captain know what he has to do, use X skill against Y situationl. A bad captain just suck, doesn't know half of their skills but idome (yeah right i'm talking to you 99% of lotro gamers). And that line of understanding/experience make some people shine more then the other. And overall there is just a ton of very poor gamer out there in most mmos so i'm not expecting a lot from most people.

Leveling as for raid doesn't take skill, just time investment and patience. Sadly two thing that i has less so i decided to make better uses of my time..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast