We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bluebottle petal, iris root etc - only from critical success field?

This isn't clear to me:

Does any bluebottle/iris field have the chance to come up with a bluebottle petal or iris root or only the critical success ones?

Re: Bluebottle petal, iris root etc - only from critical success field?

Any bluebottle field will give you the petal. Not every time. It been ages since I've grown these kind of fields. I have no clue what the drop rate is. Or which is better critical result or a normal field.

I always grow critical fields unless I am trying to produce pipeweed seeds.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Thanks, Yula.

Why would you deliberately want to grow seeds? I must be missing something about the smoking business

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    Thanks, Yula.

Why would you deliberately want to grow seeds? I must be missing something about the smoking business
    Because some seeds aren't sold by NPCs. Some seeds are quest rewards and/or loot only. These are the types of seeds that you want to intentionally grow more of to replenish your seed supply. Otherwise you'll run out of seeds and not be able to grow any more.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

6 Myrtle Court, Barleywick, The Shire, Gladden

I haven't grown the flowers in a while, but I seem to get a better rate of getting onion skins (green onion fields) and juicy raspberries and strawberries, which are all used for scholar paints and dyes, from critical fields than the regular ones. Granted, I haven't done tons of both types of fields to have truly scientific sample sizes. Once I reach mastery on a tier, I always use the additive for critical success when farming (I don't farm pipe weed usually). It seems to be well worth it both for the produce and for the extras picked up (cooking crit items, and the other extras that the fields I'm planting might produce). However, it is definitely possible to get those items from regular fields as well as the well-tended ones. I just think the rate is slightly higher on the well-tended (crit) fields.

Just my opinion based on limited experience.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000011effc/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Kindred of the Inner Flame - [url]http://InnerFlame.GuildLaunch.com/[/url]
    [b]"The friendliest kinship around where everyone is welcome - all classes, all levels, and all playstyles!!!"[/b]

Is there any way to get the critical soil (Rivendell etc.) at a discount? My house vendor doesn't have farming items and I guess the North Downs don't have farming vendors.

No. Farm ingredients (seeds, soils, etc) are sold only by the Expert/Novice Farmhands. They do not discount anything to anyone.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

I've done some testing with this. You have about a 20% drop rate of the rare (not including cooking crit items these are about 45% to 50%) if you make a well tended field (use the soil). If you don't the drop rate of rares is about 5%. I tested 400 fields with and 400 fields without soil.

Thanks guys.

Re the Bluebottle results: the actual flowers are still vendor trash unless you are lucky enough to have gotten the recipe for the potted ones, right?

I like the turquoise dyes but it takes patience (and silver!) to get there.

The actual flowers are vendor trash, but you do make a nice bit of coin off of them. I find it fairly easy to make a small profit from flowers (at least enough to cover tool repairs if not more).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001df87a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It would be nice to choose: "I would prefer to grow more crit items instead of more Fair items" when farming.

I hate having to farm (what turns out to be) 200 Green Onions, just to get two Green Onion Skins. It would be easier to grow less, sacrificed to get the "quality versus quantity," in order to get more Skins. So, I may end up planting the same (or more) fields, but my Onion yield would be lower, but I would yield more Skins.

I get more onion skins from critical result fields.

Critical result field decrease the seed yield in exchange for more fair bushels and special items. I have not tested this statement on all the recipes.

My statement is from critical fields. I only/always use the soil that gives 100% chance to crit, but I still end up with that small ratio of special items.

Since I started this thread I grew many critical and non-critical fields. While I didn't take down numbers I have seen the same rate of dye items from both fields.

I spend a LOT of time in the fields, it's my stress removal process For a while I was writing down all my numbers just to get a feel for what is really happening vs what I thought was happening...as far as yeilds go.

I average one 'crit' per five fields...so I can pretty much count on it coming out to one skin per five fields BUT....here's the kicker...its an average over a larger number.

I tend to grow in batches of 50 fields. So for an example, green onions..for onion skins (not the yellow onions!)

50 fields of green onions planted, in batches of five fields at a time....(delete key to select, U to pick and I plant on top of each field, no moving for me)

Here's just one batch off my paper...you'll see why I say average of 5 per 50 not one in every five...

5 fields - no skins
    5 fields - 1 skin
    5 fields - 2 skins
    5 fields - no skins
    5 fields - no skins
    5 fields - no skins
    5 fields - 3 skins
    5 fields - no skins
    5 fields - 1 skins
    5 fields - 2 skins

that batch gave me nine skins from 50 fields. You'll see though, that there were random amounts per five fields. Some of the 50 field counts I have would give 8 (lowest) to 14 (highest). I just kind of go with the 5 per 50 rule now when I'm trying to get any certain number. Not to mention I'm counting them as I go, and get sad when the number drops below the average, but perky when it goes higher lol.

If trying to grow the petals etc for dyes, don't try one or two fields at a time, make it a large quantity of fields (always use crit soils, makes more than a little difference! - I do NOT grow pipe-weed so all my fields use crit soils)

For what its worth, I consider any batch of 50 fields with less than 200 fair bushels as an insult. Usually around 230-240 fair per 50 fields, but I only count it as 200 for pricing, allows for costs and repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    Thanks guys.

Re the Bluebottle results: the actual flowers are still vendor trash unless you are lucky enough to have gotten the recipe for the potted ones, right?

I like the turquoise dyes but it takes patience (and silver!) to get there.

It depends. If you (or a kinsman) are a scholar, they use some of these flowers in some of their recipes.... bluebottle petals are required to make the runekeeper's blue enamel

Quote Originally Posted by Vylae View Post
    It depends. If you (or a kinsman) are a scholar, they use some of these flowers in some of their recipes.... bluebottle petals are required to make the runekeeper's blue enamel
    The actual flowers are not very useful. You get them by the truck load. You can only make housing decorations out of them. Are you sure you make the enamels with the flowers? I thought you needed the rare Bluebottle drop - the petals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The actual flowers are not very useful. You get them by the truck load. You can only make housing decorations out of them. Are you sure you make the enamels with the flowers? I thought you needed the rare Bluebottle drop - the petals.
    Vylae does refer to the Bluebottle Petal for that recipe to be fair, just the way it's worded.

Details if any are still interested here:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3ABluebottle_Petal

And with RoR the drop rate for the rare items is a lot higher so hopefully less vendoring pretty flowers to achieve the amounts required for dyes.

I tried making the Bluebottle Arrangement decoration item but it doesn't sell that much, on Eldar anyhow. It would be nice if they allowed us to 'Distill' stacks of flowers into the rare ones even if it's only a few. Just seems less wasteful.

Not that feeding a two year old necro post should be encouraged
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Oct 20 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to bring up this question again post-RoR. Does anyone know if well-tended fields still have a higher drop rate for rare dye items? I spent several hours over the past few days farming (both normal and well-tended fields), and it seemed to me that the drop rate for these items was about 40-50 per 100 fields, regardless of if it was a crit field or not.

Thoughts?