We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Am I Doing Wrong (Grinding Relics)

So, basically it appears that the only thing left for me to do in LotRO right now is grind for relics. I'm about to give up, but I thought I would ask for some advice first.

I spent all last week grinding and saving about 12k skirmish marks, then I got some L60 LI's, noticing that the 60k bartered heritage runes were cheap at 260 marks. Decon results:

3rd age maxed with 4680 marks: 5xT4, 5xT3 etc. + 850k rune
    3rd age maxed with 1040 marks: 5xT4, 5xT3 etc. + 700k rune
    2nd age maxed with 4160 marks: 5xT4, 4xT3 etc. + 950k rune + 40k rune
    3rd age maxed with 520 marks: 4xT4, 4xT3 etc. + 375k rune
    (okay, 375k is a fail, I'm done, cashed out)

Cost- 10400 marks, results after combining: 7xT5 (which includes one crit for 3xT5.)

The problem is, if I'd just bought aged fused relics, I would have ended up with 9xT5. The whole thing was a waste. Plus I had significant expense crafting the items, since L60s were going for 3-4g on the AH, with no 3rd ages available.

My main frustration is that I know I was deconstructing L60's when Mirkwood came out and getting much, much more than this on my Lore-Master, who consequently has several T7's and a T8 with no really superhuman effort. My new character, though, is looking pretty hopeless based on these numbers. It will take months of grinding using these strategies to catch her up to my Lore-Master.

So my questions are:

Did I get really unlucky somehow?
    Did Turbine severely nerf decon results recently, since the release of Mirkwood?
    Is there a better way?
    Is there a bridge nearby that I can jump off of?

(Sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition, but I'm desperate.)
    Last edited by Silverangel; Mar 20 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

Re: What Am I Doing Wrong (Grinding Relics)

I know it's frustrating but all you need is a change in strategy and you'll get way more relics.

Maxed LI decons have never been very rewarding with relics proportional to the amount of effort and resources taken to level them.

I see on your maxed decons you get some T4 relics and lesser. Well, often times you get a T4 relic from deconning a level 2 LI!

If you want to build up your relics, just get a whole bunch of LI's you can equip (or barter for with the rusted dwarf tools / khuzdul tablets). Fill up your slots with fresh LI's, go kill one or two monsters (whatever it takes for those fresh LI's to be lvl 2). Go decon all the lvl 2 LI's. Repeat.

You'll usually get a few T1's and a T2 but sometimes you get T4's form the lvl 2 decons.

This is a much faster and easier way to bolster your relics compared to maxxing out weapons.

One good way to do it is get a bunch of fresh LI's. Go do one of the Dolven View solo instances (Library of Steel, Ghost Forge, etc.) Then decon all those LI's witch will be at lvl 4 or something from killing the mobs in the instance. Get fresh LI's again ad turn in the quest. The quest rewards item XP and you can choose a sealed relic reward and all those new LI's will be level 4 or so to be deconned.

You can do this same strategy with those 'align the mirror' quest around Moria or the repeatable quests in Mirkwood.

This basic strategy will net you a lot more relics because of the ixp/decon reward ratio and you have more decons/recombines and therefore more chances to crit.

I personally need legendary fragments and IXP more than relics, so I usualy wait til level 11, 21, etc. to decon, but it's still better than maxing out the LI's to decon.

It's lame that Turbine doesn't give very good relics for decons of maxed LI's, but there are other ways at least to bolster your amount of relics.

Good luck!
    [U]Gladden - Thronnos Rokke Clan[/U]
    [B]Tuomer[/B], Captain lvl 65
    [B]Twink[/B], Burglar lvl 65
    [B]Curangail[/B], Champion lvl 65

Thanks! That's a very good strategy, and it would probably work well enough in most cases. I do try to do that on my LM, just because it's easy to slot something before a skirmish and decon it after, even though I get a crit yielding T4's very rarely.

In the case shown above, however, the character is RK, so she has a healing stone, a DPS stone, a healing bag, and a DPS bag. Then she has one slot filled with a potentially better healing stone to replace her old one. I have only one slot available, at most two, without removing my ability to play half of my class effectively (meaning for example +10% effectiveness on all of the role skills, given by the legacies), so unfortunately the strategy of buying up tons of LI's and leveling them to 2 or 11 is not a very enticing option.

So, I guess you could say that my ability to level up items to get relics is restricted, while at the same time I have greater than average need for them.
    Last edited by Silverangel; Mar 20 2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

I know what you mean about not having enough slots available. I would still recommend doing all those solo Dolven View instances. At level 65 they're a breeze and you can get fused relics for em.

Otherwise, like you said, I guess you just have to buy fused relics from skirmishes.

I guess it goes without saying that it's good to get some friends together and run the Moria or Mirkwood instances, where the boss chests have lots of sealed relics.

Also, you can turn in marks of triumph (for helping with epic quests) in 21st hall or gold leaves in Lorien for fused relics, but this is not very efficient either.

WTB more LI slots!

Guess you should just try all the different strategies once then decide which one gives the most relics per hour, or whichever method drives you the least insane!
    [U]Gladden - Thronnos Rokke Clan[/U]
    [B]Tuomer[/B], Captain lvl 65
    [B]Twink[/B], Burglar lvl 65
    [B]Curangail[/B], Champion lvl 65

Even with the small number of open slots his strat is still correct, you need to bag up as many cheap LIs for decon that you can beg,borrow buy or steal and lo level decon them. You can use the Shadowed Refuge camp as a good base of operations, only a couple of mob kills should get leveled LIs ready. The draw back is no fragments, but there is no perfect system.

It only takes a couple of critted decons to massively swing things in your favor when using this approach.
    Last edited by Delirium; Mar 20 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    [COLOR=#ffa500][I]Hossi Smashi [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#0000ff]Berenhad Halberen Berendur [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]Belberella [/COLOR][COLOR=#008080]Beerbo Burpo
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#afeeee]Bron Yr Aur[/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#cccc33][B]Poxid - Snarlz[/B][/COLOR][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    Guess you should just try all the different strategies once then decide which one gives the most relics per hour, or whichever method drives you the least insane!
    I guess. The method I adopted today was to not play. I just can't bring myself to log in. Thanks for the responses.

Back in MoM, I would use the DV instances to level LIs to 11 before deconstructing, and save the runes up. Once I had 21K XP in runes, that was a freebie. Currently, the Mirkwood Dailies are decent, too. Or at least they would be if the bronze feathers could be traded for something useful.

The method I use is buying lots of t1 fused relics for 26 sm each. relics build quickly this way for me. relatively cost free since the patch.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000018bb48/01008/signature.png]Certhonion[/charsig]
    [URL]http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/haradel[/URL]

Go get a cheap second age level 60 LI, Max it out (70 if you can) then gather an extra million or two (the more the better) worth of 60- IXP Runes gather like 10-20 Tablets/dwarf tools.

(To get the ixp run HoC as many times as possible and use loth medallions for 700k runes to turn in as well as get good ixp runes from HoC ... other loot doesnt hurt either)

Decon Second age, Use ixp to keep maxing and deconning third age (60 and under obviously) LI's. Go on a combining spree.

I did this with just a maxed to level 60 level 60 second age and 1.4 million in runes and with the relics i already had this got me 2x teir 9 relics.

Also if you still have a pretty jewelry peice you are looking for from moria instances ... go try and get em!! the moria medallions can get turned in for teir 7 relics.

^^ = money

(sorry if this was already said, i just scanned the thread)
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000369e1/01001/signature.png]Manhandsmagee[/charsig]
    [/center]

Grinding for relics serves two main purposes. It keeps you busy playing, and it provides a money sink. Just look at the math.

A tier 1 relic from a decon will cost you 11s. (10s to identify, 1s to decon).

To combine you need 5 T1s for (typically) 1 T2. That's 55s for a single T2. Multiply by 5 again for a T3, or 25 T1s for 5 T2s for 1 T3, total 275s.

T4 = 125 T1s, 1.357g
    T5 = 625 T1s, 6.875g
    T6 = 3,125 T1s, 34.375g

You clearly do better with skirmishes and purchasing fused relics, but that just trades one grind for another, forcing you to skirmish if you want any reasonable chance at improving your LI.

In a nutshell, improving a LI is going to be a grind now matter how you slice it. There's no easy way to do it. You can improve you numbers a bit by following some of the advice above, but if you're insistent on building up your LI, you're going to be grinding, and doing a lot of it.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=deepskyblue]Lle merna aut farien?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005532/01008/signature.png]Northwoods[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    Playing music in LotRO is as easy as [URL="http://abcnotation.org.uk/"]ABC![/URL][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Draugnim View Post
    The method I use is buying lots of t1 fused relics for 26 sm each. relics build quickly this way for me. relatively cost free since the patch.
    I agree. A friend pointed me in this direction not too long ago - at first I thought it a bit strange to spend all those SM's buying T1 relics when you could save a bit more SM's and buy T5's. However, he pointed something out to me: the T1 fused relics often decon with mutiple relics inside of them (in my experience, in the neighborhood of 4-8 relics on average), while the T5's only decon with 1 most of the time. Factor in potential crits as you combine your way up the chain, and this becomes much more efficient in terms of time spent to relics earned than purchasing the T5's up front.

Last night, for example, I spent about 2000 SM's on T1 relics. After about 500-600 silvers worth of decons/combines (a cost which was more than surpassed by simply running the skirmishes to earn the marks in the first place), I ended the evening with 1 T7 relic. Now... that's not the be-all, end-all or anything - 1 T7 relic - but considering I've only ever earned 3 T8 relics in the whole time I've been playing my char, I'd say earning 1 T7 a day is a pretty significant improvement over my previous methods. And maybe this gives me hope of one day even earning some T9's -_-;;

If you have a bunch of dwarf tools or tablets, I found trading them in for blank LIs then heading to Anzarmekem works well. You can slot a couple, run across the bridge and kill two worms or uruk, run back and decon, repeat. Goes much faster than doing it with daily instances if you have lots of junk LIs to work with. Shadow refuge or Emyn Lum would work well also. Anywhere you have mobs near relic-masters.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/mandywun]Mandywun[/url], Minstrel 61 (SM/K Tailor) - [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/gwennethwun]Gwennethwun[/url], Guardian 65 (SM/K Metalsmith)
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/briannawun]Briannawun[/url], Burglar 65 (SM/K Jeweler) - [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/hollywun]Hollywun[/url], Hunter 65 (SM/K Woodworker)
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/ranzarawun]Ranzarawun[/url], Runekeeper 65 (SM/K Scholar) - [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/ranzarawun]Catharinewun[/url], Captain 29 (K Weaponsmith)

1 Frothing Road, Feginstath - Thorins Hall Homesteads, Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by 4enzix View Post
    Decon Second age, Use ixp to keep maxing and deconning third age (60 and under obviously) LI's. Go on a combining spree.
    This is probably what I should have done in the example above--start with the second age.

Quote Originally Posted by 4enzix View Post
    Also if you still have a pretty jewelry peice you are looking for from moria instances ... go try and get em!! the moria medallions can get turned in for teir 7 relics.
    I can only find T6 relics (fused profound) for 24 moria medallions from Fjori in 21st Hall? Is there T7 somewhere? But I had no idea I could even do this.

Thanks again, +rep(x). I was hoping some people would share some of their secrets (for the benefit of everyone.) Maybe it won't take six months of skirmishing every night to get the T7 relics I need after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel View Post
    This is probably what I should have done in the example above--start with the second age.

I can only find T6 relics (fused profound) for 24 moria medallions from Fjori in 21st Hall? Is there T7 somewhere? But I had no idea I could even do this.

Thanks again, +rep(x). I was hoping some people would share some of their secrets (for the benefit of everyone.) Maybe it won't take six months of skirmishing every night to get the T7 relics I need after all.
    hmmm maybe thats changed since i last got one im 99% sure they were teir 7s before
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000369e1/01001/signature.png]Manhandsmagee[/charsig]
    [/center]

What I usually do is get an LI up to lvl 10 do the reforge and then decon it better chance for relics and runes. I decon'd a lvl 30 bow and got a bunch of relics, 3 legendary shards, 1 scroll and a 130k rune

The Moria medallion turn ins are only T6. You can also trade in Marks of Victory or Triumph (I dont recall which) in 21st for random relics in boxes. I just burned about 1400 in SM the other day and ended up with 3 T6's. I cashed all the SM in for T1 fused and then burned up my mouse clicking on the combine and OK buttons. Rather slot machinelike in many ways which seemed to fit.

SM seem to be a better way to go than the tablet turn ins or random LI drops. There seems to be a shortage of these items as of late and supply is down. At least with the skirmishes, you can finish off those advanced slayer deeds for a nice 500 SM bonus!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000120b21/01000/signature.png]Magrom[/charsig]
    "I look forward to your MMO" ; "Those are horsepants."; "I'm working. My hands burn with the fury of a thousand suns: the forums would not survive many posts from me. Count yourselves lucky." - Floonisms by Floon. You are missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoric View Post
    What I usually do is get an LI up to lvl 10 do the reforge and then decon it better chance for relics and runes. I decon'd a lvl 30 bow and got a bunch of relics, 3 legendary shards, 1 scroll and a 130k rune
    You mean level 11, not 10.
    [/center]

At lvl 10 you have to do a reforge

At lvl 10 you have to do a reforge
    yes but deconning at level 10 is the same as deconning at level 2. If you decon at level 11 you move yourself up into the next bracket. Like so:

2-10
    11-20
    21-30
    31-40
    41-50
    51-60
    61-70

So deconning at level 10 is actually the most inefficient way to do it
    [/center]

blah blah blah whatever. i know what i did and what i got back

blah blah blah whatever. i know what i did and what i got back

Be more receptive, child. There are people that can offer you information.
    *FIREFIGHTERS of Elendilmir: VERRIK Lore-Master 180 - VORROTH Captain 170 - VERRIWISE Minstrel 115 - AXXL Rune Keeper 90

Forgive the noobishness, but I am one....however, I am managing to slowly to remove that yoke.

So, if I don't want to level to 11, I can just decon at 2 and get the same benefits as 10? I have been told (maybe through error) to level the items to 3 and then just decon until after I get level 60 or above weapons. That has been my method.

Are you saying that I can just stop at level 2 and get the same random selection of "stuff"?

I usually run my rusted dwarf tools up to DV when I get 5-6, id them, equip, run and kill a few things I need for slayers and then decon - takes about 5 minutes. I was planning on doing this until after level 60 and the next tier of weapons.

Any suggestions or comments?

A helpful reply would remove 3.7% (roughly) of my noobishness, so thank you!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000014a1a3/01001/signature.png]Kegheld[/charsig]

Wow I will have to try trading for T1 from the sklrimish next time. So far I have been using all my marks to Max out my soldier and for those lovely Empowerment scrolls. I really only need about 8 more scrolls to be done with the weapons I have now!

Maybe I shall start switching to scrolls and Relics when i reach 2,000 mark now. I do have 3 T9 relics of which i am using two right now. The thirs is for a tactical class and a tank does not need that one!

Thanks for the info! I had been looking at the relics but was not sure which level I should aim for or if they were worth it.
    I wonder what IS behind that waterfall?
    The Player Council knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Mav145 View Post
    Forgive the noobishness, but I am one....however, I am managing to slowly to remove that yoke.

So, if I don't want to level to 11, I can just decon at 2 and get the same benefits as 10? I have been told (maybe through error) to level the items to 3 and then just decon until after I get level 60 or above weapons. That has been my method.

Are you saying that I can just stop at level 2 and get the same random selection of "stuff"?

I usually run my rusted dwarf tools up to DV when I get 5-6, id them, equip, run and kill a few things I need for slayers and then decon - takes about 5 minutes. I was planning on doing this until after level 60 and the next tier of weapons.

Any suggestions or comments?

A helpful reply would remove 3.7% (roughly) of my noobishness, so thank you!
    No, each "tier" of decon products start on the 1's.

At level 0, you will receive a single tier 1 relic.
    At level 1-10, you will receive multiple tier 1 relics and maybe a small ixp rune.
    At level 11-20, you will receive multiple tier 1&2 relics and a 5K-15K ixp rune.
    At level 21-30, you will receive multiple tier 1-4 relics and a 15K-50K(ish) ixp rune
    etc etc

Before the skirmish system, I found the best time/return ratio to be in levelling items to 11 and then decon'ing them. One run through all the DV ixp instances basically did that and I could net 4 LI's worth of lvl 11 decon relics & runes daily.

Now, with the skirmish system in place you can essentially barter skirmish marks for runes and net 2 or more tier 5's (or even more/higher if you're lucky). I've personally found bartering for tier 2 relics to be the sweet spot, netting me more bonus relics from combining crits than trading hundreds/thousands of skirmish marks for higher tier relics right off the bat.
    [color=#CC3333][B][SIZE="3"]W[/SIZE]ESSLEY [SIZE="3"]G[/SIZE]RAYSON[/B] (lvl 66 LM Man, SM Jeweller)[/color]
    [color=#33CCFF][B][SIZE="3"]L[/SIZE]ITTLBIT [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]LUVIN[/B] (lvl 66 Minstrel Hobbit, SM Scholar)[/color]
    [color=#66FF66][B][SIZE="3"]G[/SIZE]RAYTHANDOR[/B] (lvl 54 Hunter Elf, R4, GM Tailor)[/color]
    [color=white] Nimrodel[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Graythandor View Post
    No, each "tier" of decon products start on the 1's.

At level 0, you will receive a single tier 1 relic.
    At level 1-10, you will receive multiple tier 1 relics and maybe a small ixp rune.
    At level 11-20, you will receive multiple tier 1&2 relics and a 5K-15K ixp rune.
    At level 21-30, you will receive multiple tier 1-4 relics and a 15K-50K(ish) ixp rune
    etc etc

Thats what i meant above.but yes, deconing at elvel 2 or 3 will yield the same as level 10
    [/center]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast