We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

question about archer and caster skirmish pets.

as a warden i wanted to go with a dps pet. both of the mentioned pets are dps as i understand it.. which would be best for me and why? i dont know what the difference would be accept that the archer has better armor.

thanks.

Re: question about archer and caster skirmish pets.

The sage can do some single target and some AoE ranged damage, debuff tactical resistances, and debuff a single enemy's attack speed by 15% and 40% (40% being an ultimate skill) depending how you trait the sage.

The archer does single target direct and bleed damage, primarily.

If you want solely DPS, archer seems to be better. Personally, i've been running with a sage because that 55% reduced attack speed helps my squishy minstrel tank much better vs elites, and have ignored the sage's DPS skills. My captain runs the archer and the DPS is very welcome, as well as the fact that the archer doesn't aggro every mob and get herself killed. Archers seem to preferentially go after other ranged NPC's first, another advantage of the archer over warrior for pure DPS.

tl;dr go archer if you just want DPS.

Not sure what level your Warden is (I have sigs disabled) but high level wardens seem to have good snyergy with warriors... You pull everything to you, bleed 'em dry, and he puts 'em through the blender.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000a4a22/01003/signature.png]Brathistir[/charsig]

Haven't tried archer, but sage is great for making short work out of fights. The AOE and debuffs help a ton, plus she sits back behind you so you can intercept foes if she happens to draw aggro.

From what I've heard, archer is slightly better in terms of pure damage to single targets and sage is better for groups of targets. DPS is similar, its just differently focused between the two soldiers.
    [SIZE=1][I]I've paid my dues - [/I][/SIZE][I][SIZE=1]Time after time - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]I've done my sentence [/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=1]But committed no crime - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]And bad mistakes - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]I've made a few [/SIZE][/I]
    [I][SIZE=1]I've had my share of sand kicked in my face - [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]But I've come through[/SIZE][/I]

I use Archer on my Guardian, and it works nicely for me....The archer can even solo a mob if left alone.....But with us tanks, its nice to grab agro and watch things die faster....I do go Op though.. I never tried Sage, I think I might just to compare...

Interestingly, I’ve found the herbalist to be a very good default soldier. I was afraid of having one with my hunter because I knew she would draw agro. And she does. What surprised me is how well she can stand up to being beaten on. I’ve retired my high level protector on my hunter in favor of the herbalist. She’s also a better choice when doing group skirmishes.

The reason I mention this is that I think a lot of people underestimate the durability of herbalists and how well they can help just about any class. Just something to consider.

As for ranged DPS, the only one I’ve tried is the archer with my captain. At some point I hope to have the ghostly archer for his pet and having two archers in a solo skirmish was just too good an idea to pass up on. The archer survives rather well. He tends to tick things off when he pelts them with arrows, but my captain keeps his shield brother on him and he usually survives most battles. And as he stays behind my character he doesn’t usually cause agro issues.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

I love my Sage with my Guardian. I tank, he spanks. AoE DPS + debuffs mean I stay alive, he kills, and we can handle pretty much anything they throw at us. I got this pair to Tier 2 Skirmishes much sooner than my alt (Burg + Protector).

I love my archer with my warden. She stays in one spot, doing a ton of DPS, which makes it easier to get mob positioning right so she doesn't get hit. And I can't imagine a better soldier to help take down high morale encounters.