We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: selling

selling

ok i just got into cooking and i was just wondering once i lvl it up will i be able to make decent money by selling the food or will it just be a nice thing to have in my inventory.

Re: selling

If you chose Tinker, you will make more money off posting ore than you could make from food.

Wood is a different matter, as it is the flax that really makes money for a forester.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodtreesprite View Post
    If you chose Tinker, you will make more money off posting ore than you could make from food.

Wood is a different matter, as it is the flax that really makes money for a forester.
    Wrong ....
    Top tier food sells very well and at high prices too. The crit variety of Weybread was selling at over 2 gold a stack, not sure if that price is holding after the patch but with the need for flour and the time required to make that, the price may actually rise.
    People can have buffs from 3 different kinds of food working at the same time, and most of them do. So that is three meals they need to aquire some how before they engage the first mob. A lot of people don't cook at home so the order out biz is thriving on most servers,
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000bc65f/01001/signature.png]Shumgrin[/charsig]
    Shumgrin Guard/explorer Bookman, LM/Scholar; Phetchit, Gelt, and others:
    All that is required for evil to succeed is for good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Apot View Post
    Wrong ....
    Top tier food sells very well and at high prices too. The crit variety of Weybread was selling at over 2 gold a stack, not sure if that price is holding after the patch but with the need for flour and the time required to make that, the price may actually rise.
    People can have buffs from 3 different kinds of food working at the same time, and most of them do. So that is three meals they need to aquire some how before they engage the first mob. A lot of people don't cook at home so the order out biz is thriving on most servers,
    Then maybe it depends on server. And situation. I tried selling critted Waybread when it first became available to cook. Couldn't sell it for half of what you are selling it for, and ended up just eating it during easy questing. Have tried selling much of the other food, critted and non-critted. Couldn't sell it for much past cost. So gave up on that.

On my server, some were flooding the market with very low priced food. So low it was barely above cost.

I focused on ore instead and have made more money faster on ore, that cost me nothing more than collection time, that that two gold a stack for critted way bread you are getting.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Apot View Post
    Wrong ....
    This must be server specific. I've never been able sell critical variety of waybread anywhere near this price. 10 - 15 silvers a unit yielding 500 - 750 silvers a stack is more common. The only thing that sold at these kind of prices were +55 stat foods like fate for the casters right after the patch. I managed to sell a few stacks of 10 units for 400 silvers. That did not last long.

The reduction in material prices thanks to the farmed veggies have reduced the auction hall prices of the finished goods. At least Meneldor, there are plenty of people willing to make food. As long the silver cost mats is not too high. Time is free. They afk crafting while cooking and eating dinner in real life.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 18 2010 at 04:28 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

On my server the critted waybread sells for the unheard of price of 400-500 silver per stack of 5-10! Seriously, it's expensive. I usually keep the good stuff for myself though and sell the non-critted version (or maybe I will sell a stack of critted to better cover costs and make some profit).

One thing I've not been able to sell on my server, those mushy peas... even the crit ones. I gave up and gave up and sold them on kin auction for vendor price plus AH posting fee. I won't make a lot of those again.

I am not sure yet what food is best to sell aside from waybread (tea always used to sell well, but now that's taken a hit too).

As you are leveling, you might be able to sell blueberry muffins and tarts for decent prices (although you won't have the tart recipes yet... look for them at the spring festival). Also, I am drawing a blank on the name (roast of heroes of something) sells well. You only get to make one, from one of the cooking quests. It's from a boar you kill in Trollshaws. It's needed to get the "Carnivore" title. So if you aren't into titles, you can sell it for a decent amount as it's so rare to find. If you are into titles, eat it
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

I have been making decent money selling the mushy peas... both crit and non crit version.
    Playing since 9/11/2006

I make a profit selling every single tier of food, from apprentice to supreme, on two different servers, and I agree that food is very server specific - I can sell some things for twice the price on one server that I can on the other.

I do make money on both servers, though. I don't make a ton of money on the lowest end stuff, I sell for a little over cost to cover my time - lowbies need regen food too!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="orange"][CENTER]Claribel~Abelwise~Amanaros~Cyleth~Ellinia~Findalia~Hamlova~Iorana Yelsalot~Lunella~Saeltha~Adamarit~Barannar~Brankle~Freogar~Gwill~Halenborn~Pentirith~Tafr~Thanderic~Elladon Yelsalot~Caronas~Dryla~Hamor[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000003eee/signature.png]Elladon[/charsig]

Depends on the server.

Now that they've changed cooking and it's quite a bit cheaper it's gotten a lot better. It used to be that sometimes I couldn't sell it for what it costs to make it. But if you compare it to my jeweler who spends two minutes making one item and 1 hour later has 2 g, cooks still get screwed.
    As I was leveling, I couldn't even give the mid-tier foods away. So many drop when you're questing. But now the crit Waybreads and Mushy Peas sell decently.

So if you're looking to bring in income, I vote Not Cooking. If you want to make your own stuff and maybe bring in just enough cash to cover the cost of your supplies, cooking is fine. At least on my server.
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2qxlqbl.jpg[/IMG]