We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Push to Talk/Voice Chat problem

Tonight my mic refused to open ingame when pressing the push to talk hotkey. Everything still works perfectly in vent and in other games, and I haven't touched the settings in months when it suddenly stopped working. This is the first time I've had any trouble with ingame voice chat, and after some troubleshooting I was unable to resolve the issue.

Details:
    - I use two hotkeys (ctrl-Z, middle mouse). Halfway through warg-halls, the microphone icon stopped turning red and nobody could hear me when I pressed a hotkey. The control key and z key both continued to work perfectly for the rest of my keybindings, as did the mouse.

- I checked my keybindings, and ctrl-Z and middle mouse were both still bound to "Push to Talk".

- I checked the audio settings and they were still identical to the earlier working setup. My soundcard microphone was properly selected as the voice capture device, voice enabled was checked, hands free voice was unchecked.

- I fired up vent and my mic worked perfectly with the same push to talk combination (ctrl-Z).

- I tried the ingame mic test both with and without hands free voice and could not get it to receive anything. No green bars, etc.

- I rebooted my computer, and everything started working again as expected. After about 10 minutes of play, however, the ingame voice stopped working again.

- Windows 7 64bit, Claro Halo soundcard

- When the problem occurs, my ingame mic symbol no longer lights up green when I hit the push-to-talk hotkeys.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001ff8de/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreides LM | Atreidus MIN | Atreidor WRD | Atreidos GRD | Atreydes CHA[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreidis RNK | Atreider HNT | Atreidar BRG | Atreidys CPT[/CENTER]

Re: Push to Talk/Voice Chat problem

Tonight my push-to-talk hotkey isn't working even after relogging. I can't get my mic symbol to turn red on my character at all.

Anybody else had a problem like this before? I might try re-installing LOTRO tomorrow to see if that solves it.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001ff8de/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreides LM | Atreidus MIN | Atreidor WRD | Atreidos GRD | Atreydes CHA[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreidis RNK | Atreider HNT | Atreidar BRG | Atreidys CPT[/CENTER]

I had precisely the same thing happen as Atreides today. Tried rebinding, resetting, etc. Nothing fixes it.

Add another two to the list. A kinmate and myself had the same problem last night (Saturday July 31, 2010). Other's in my kin did not. I wonder if there was a routing problem. My kinmate and I are both in Canada, although different provinces.

I exited the game to try and reset. When I tried to re-start, I kept getting errors in the launcher (unspecified patch error). Eventually I got back in, but no voice.
    Last edited by Alcor; Aug 01 2010 at 09:00 AM.

For what it's worth, I solved my voice chat problem. It turned out that a record level setting at the OS level got reduced. When I brought the level up, I had voice chat again.

Add me to the list. Push-to-talk just does not work. I've rebound the keys, disabled and reenabled the mike, etc. It works fine for hands-free though.

Update: it doesn't work on my burglar. But it does work on my minstrel. Haven't checked other classes...
    Last edited by Lohi; Aug 25 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Add me to the list. Push-to-talk just does not work. I've rebound the keys, disabled and reenabled the mike, etc
    Add me to the list, in the middle of a SG run, my mic went out, and we wiped because I couldn't get the group to pull back.

I've tried
    Rebinding the key
    Selecting an alternate mic selection
    Run windows update
    Ran troubleshooting on mic
    Turned on listen to device(coming through loud and clear)
    Checked for an updated high definition driver
    Deleted the voice section of the game preferences ini and reset after loading

Like the OP, I am working fine in GSC and Vent, but the icon doesn't turn red, mic test in game with and without hands free shows no activity in the meter. Mic is set to 50% in windows, any higher and I am too loud in other chat programs. Threshold is almost at 0, so the mic has to be super sensitive.

I've tested for virus/spyware, have the latest definitions for Norton, almost certain I have the latest drivers(I check once a week). I would assume the issue is on my end since only a few people are noticing this error. I will say for some reason I received some sort of error when quitting lotro two days ago, windows found a compatibility error. I received some error message saying that I needed to upgrade flash player, and I don't remember ever seeing that issue stated before. After checking flash player, I verified I had the latest version, but don't recall having to install flash player for Lotro before.

Win7 64bit
    12G Ram
    Nvidia 260gtx sc
    marvell network controller
    i7 920
    asus p6t deluxe mobo

I'll check MS for a dx9 update, last one was june. I will recheck network adapter driver, but don't foresee this as being the issue. I will uninstall and reinstall the hi def driver, but other than that I can't see whats causing this issue.

Edit
    Ok, I think I understand the issue here. When logging in, rather than taking the mic level from windows, it sets it to 0 in game. Boosting up the level in windows works temporarily. However the new layering, is causing the setting to be reset to 0, and even with a 0 threshold level, and 1.0 levels in voice volume and gain, you cannot be heard. This has to be a bug in the lotro client. I will copy this post and submit as a ticket if bug is working, alas I've had major issues attempting to submit bugs of late.
    Last edited by Sporati; Sep 14 2010 at 08:27 PM.
    [center]Before there were graphics
    Imagination was the key
    Out of the MUDS crawled The Original
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000c5663/01007/signature.png]Sporati[/charsig][/center]

My husband and I had the same problem tonight! What do we do???? This was the first time we've tried playing together in months and we couldn't! Very frustrating.

[QUOTE=Sporati;4972046]
    I've tried
    Rebinding the key
    Selecting an alternate mic selection
    Run windows update
    Ran troubleshooting on mic
    Turned on listen to device(coming through loud and clear)
    Checked for an updated high definition driver
    Deleted the voice section of the game preferences ini and reset after loading

[QUOTE]
    Tried all of that, won't work in game either...after 3 years playing I have NEVER had this problem.
    Azulia|Azabella|Azzaya|Izarah| Azza|

./joinlist teamspeakblocked

You have joined the list. Number of players on the list: A million.