We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hunter wipe

Hunter wipe

I caused a wipe in Carn Dum last nite due to an errant arrow. It still bothers me today if I think about it. Some kinnies were in the group.

I blamed my spastic thumb ,of course, but something else has been going on since the release of SOM. I have on several occasions clearly tab targetted a mob and killed a rabbit off to the side of it. I have on two occasions targetted a group member to de-poison and then tabbed to a mob and fired off arrows while the circle still showed plainly on the member. I have tabbed one mob clearly visible orange circled and shot a different mob nearby. These may happen because of tabbing through mobs to get to the one I want, and they may not. So its not predictable.

I cant trust tab targetting anymore. I can manually target, but that is time consuming and sometimes tuff to do in the chaos of battle.

Another thing is that I am on satelite net. I have about a full one second delay upon pressing the button to carry out the action . No stellar play here.

I was wondering if the long response time is the chief reason for the wonky tabbing... But still before the last update it was not a problem.

I almost afraid to group now and that kinda takes the fun out of the game if I do decide not to. I am a level 55 and know how to teamplay. I will never be Uber I guess, but man, I need to be competent.

Anyway still feeling some sting from last nite. I hate being the cause of a wipe. Wish I could find a fix. I do see why we hunters are so dangerous in a group! Nothing like facing a mob, tabbing around and fire an arrow that loops behind me and hits something I dont want to look....
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Re: Hunter wipe

Hunter causes wipe in Carn Dum? Stop the presses!

Seriously though, I don't think anyone here has failed to cause a wipe in CD. Try not to stress out about it too much, you are still hitting it under par.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Im guessing your real issue is that we cant que skills anymore....you cant hit swiftshot, then quickshot right after it, because your quick shot will overide the swiftshot...
    We all have to wait now for the most part for the induction skills to fire off before hitting the next.....With practice youll be right where were you were before. but there is a slight learning curve to the new combat ..
    Youll be fine, maybe just asuume your laggin by a sec, before targetting next mob or player then hit skill too...
    Good luck....

Some minstrels have had this problem post SoM with the targetting. I've noticed it on a few of my toons including my hunter. I don't know why it happens but the target jumps and it's not limited to tab targetting either. I think minstrels and hunters have it the worst since the mini misses a heal and the hunter has such an easy time reaching out and touch someone at 40m.

Thanks for the responses. feel better anyway. With great dps comes great responsiblity at long range Think I will do some more collating on how to adjust to the "new" combat techniques.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Don't blame yourself...

You've stumbled across a similar bug that I, too, have noticed. On the rare occasion your client will become out-of-sync with the server. In essence, on your client you've selected one target, while the server didn't get the update and still thinks you're targeting something else. I generally see this occur when I'm experiencing a degree of packet loss, as displayed by the in-game connection icon (I'd suggest you enable it if it isn't already). Whether this packet loss is caused on my end, at the server, or somewhere in between, I can't really tell, but I can repro the problem by firing up uTorrent and allowing way too many connections, essentially overwhelming my cheapy Linksys router. If I'm getting anymore than 1% packet loss, the targeting bug will happen eventually.

This behaviour never really occurred prior to SoM so I'm wondering if there were some changes done to the client/server communications to increase efficiency. Perhaps a reduction in error checking, for instance.

Basically, unless the bug is corrected, there really isn't anything you can do other than *target-deselect-target again* when it really counts, just to make sure you're on the right target.
    [LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][SIZE=1]Ardent Defender against the Order of Fanatical [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Anti-N[/SIZE][SIZE=1]eophyte [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Braggadocios [/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ordaining Illogicality[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT]

You may want to consider suggesting to the group leader that they set up a target assist box. That way when you switch targets, you merely click the box to be automatically put on the main assist's target. You could also find someone who is usually on the right target and click to assist them (the tiny target icon next to their name) whenever you need to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalos View Post
    You may want to consider suggesting to the group leader that they set up a target assist box. That way when you switch targets, you merely click the box to be automatically put on the main assist's target. You could also find someone who is usually on the right target and click to assist them (the tiny target icon next to their name) whenever you need to switch.
    ^

I insist on target assist due to the targetting issues. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's a best practice anyway, so why not?

Also, the fun occasional (but seemingly Mirkwood-outdoors specific) 'red circle' needing to warm up like your stove top before showing what mob you have targeted. Which warg do I want to Cry of the Predator? I don't know! I keep tabbing but I don't see a circle! Wooooo.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalos View Post
    This. I never trust tab-targeting when I'm in a group where I know I could really screw up with one bad tab. I pretty much stay on the main assist the whole time, unless I need to purge poison, and then I click, not tab.

But with that said, it's not a big deal. You're not a true Hunter unless you've caused at least 1 wipe by either opening with Rain of Arrows in an area with high mob density, pulling boss aggro and then running AWAY from the tank while screaming "OMG get it off of me!", or forgetting to purge poison (Zaudru ftw!).
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Hi, I noticed this same targetting issue as well. I was shooting arrows at a mob in Moria, no where near moving or tabbing, when my toon turned slightly and shot at another mob, turned back and kept going on my original target! The targeting circle never moved from the original mob I was killing and luckily what the toon pew pew'd was a greyed insect thing, but come on!!
    [COLOR="Red"]Alayra 65 Minstrel[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Larytha 65 Loremaster[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Yellow"]Dustii 65 Hunter[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    ^

Also, the fun occasional (but seemingly Mirkwood-outdoors specific) 'red circle' needing to warm up like your stove top before showing what mob you have targeted. Which warg do I want to Cry of the Predator? I don't know! I keep tabbing but I don't see a circle! Wooooo.
    This issue has given me fits across the board. However, in my experience, it has nothing to do with mirkwood or being outdoors. I get it everywhere both in doors and out. I think it might be terrain based (i.e. elevation or texture) because I don't get it every single time... but it has certainly caused some mischief. There is a thread around here with speculation. One of the better suggestions was to turn off DX10 and that didn't help me

Raid assists are great, but I also show my target's target. That way even if they aren't one of the 'assisted' I can still find out who they are hooked up with

Yeah, I have seen this on my hunter before. Haven't in a long while though. I had actually forgotten about the bug.

Like ppl said, use target assist, it's great.
    Also, check your combat settings. If you want to be careful it's always good to uncheck the option that lets you target the next (closest) mob using a skill.
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

Target assist was on for that nite. Im beginning to think it is "packet loss" after all. Also looking to get better internet this summer. Thank you for the suggestions!
    Landroval Server

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    {SNIP}with Rain of Arrows in an area with high mob density, pulling boss aggro and then running AWAY from the tank while screaming "OMG get it off of me!", or forgetting to purge poison (Zaudru ftw!).
    Yes, I have been guilty of those kinds of bonehead mistakes. I have learned, however, to stand there and take my beating like a man. Running around just makes me die tired.

But thank you much for the laugh. I really needed it today.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowbreeze View Post
    I caused a wipe in Carn Dum last nite due to an errant arrow. It still bothers me today if I think about it. Some kinnies were in the group.

I blamed my spastic thumb ,of course, but something else has been going on since the release of SOM. I have on several occasions clearly tab targetted a mob and killed a rabbit off to the side of it. I have on two occasions targetted a group member to de-poison and then tabbed to a mob and fired off arrows while the circle still showed plainly on the member. I have tabbed one mob clearly visible orange circled and shot a different mob nearby. These may happen because of tabbing through mobs to get to the one I want, and they may not. So its not predictable.

I cant trust tab targetting anymore. I can manually target, but that is time consuming and sometimes tuff to do in the chaos of battle.

Another thing is that I am on satelite net. I have about a full one second delay upon pressing the button to carry out the action . No stellar play here.

I was wondering if the long response time is the chief reason for the wonky tabbing... But still before the last update it was not a problem.

I almost afraid to group now and that kinda takes the fun out of the game if I do decide not to. I am a level 55 and know how to teamplay. I will never be Uber I guess, but man, I need to be competent.

Anyway still feeling some sting from last nite. I hate being the cause of a wipe. Wish I could find a fix. I do see why we hunters are so dangerous in a group! Nothing like facing a mob, tabbing around and fire an arrow that loops behind me and hits something I dont want to look....
    Hmmm this is why I hardline my connection at all times and avoid wireless connections including Sats.

Dont let a bad day ruin your play! Get back into it and make up for the Hun**** Moment of the day

Even when I mess up I call it out on myself and then continue on. Usually it only happens when Im super tired and opt to play. Like the other day in BG I stealthed in a doorway and then became a chew toy for a Warg which is insta death basically and caused the party to wipe.

WOOPS. My bad. I threw a joke into the mix and we all rejoiced. The lead asked what happened and I owned up to it. We did pretty good though. Boss 2 was underway and then we died horribly and alot of gamers had to go
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    ^

I insist on target assist due to the targetting issues. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's a best practice anyway, so why not?

I am pretty sure this is terrain specific. It happens to me in areas with fancy floors, like Dannenglor. Interestingly, I recently upgraded my system and changed my graphics settings from Medium to Ultra-High, and this is when my targeting circle started 'fading in' instead of instantly appearing. If I go back to Medium graphics will it start appearing instantly again? Maybe I will try it out tonight. It is sad to think that game behaviour might degrade because of 'better' graphics.

Well, I was in a raid last night in the Rift. I went much slower in my targetting when I needed to . And mostly used target assist.

Guess what? No problems were recorded by me! Someone else was advised not to keep breaking mez. That was a relief! We had a great leader talking us all through how each encounter would unfold.

Im learning to slow down a little, as a 1 or 2 or even 3 or more second further delay in engagement is smarter than a dumb move.

I just tabbed for aggro on healers, and the airboorne mobs

I just gotta be a part of grouping. Its so neat.
    Last edited by morrowbreeze; Mar 18 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Landroval Server

Quote Originally Posted by morrowbreeze View Post
    Well, I was in a raid last night in the Rift. I went much slower in my targetting when I needed to . And mostly used target assist.
    Guess what? no problems were recorded by me! Someone else was advised not to keep breaking mez. that was a relief! We had a great leader talking us all through how each encounter would unfold.
    Im learning to slow down a little, as a one or two second further delay in engagement is smarter than a dumb move.
    I just tabbed for aggro on healers, and the dragon.
    I just gotta be a part of grouping. Its so neat.
    cool glad you had fun! The Rift is a great place to experience
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

16th hall took 10 years of my life when I was put on mushroom duty. Switching between the boss and the mushroom without targeting a bug was possible the most tense experience of my life. If any MMO develops a targeting system where tab always goes to the target you want, it wont matter about the quality, i'll be in heaven.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000014b10a/signature.png]Ranadin[/charsig]

Ranadin + Happyfish = Ranafish

Yeah some players dont like my style of running but I tend to pug and when I pug I assume players dont know jack **** about the instance so I cover my bases when I make runs. Its good to have someone who will take the time to run you through the instance moments rather than just run it and assume everyone knows whats up.

I found out even in months of playing I still would know more of the small tidbits than other players I ran with which isnt a bad thing. I support ranged classes leading runs in this case

You have more of an opportune time to survey a battle and figure things out vs the ground pounders in the front who can only see the big troll nuts in their face behinde that loin cloth. Nothing says gaming like your pixel toon reaching that high on the enemy :P
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Quote Originally Posted by OldFool View Post
    I am pretty sure this is terrain specific. It happens to me in areas with fancy floors, like Dannenglor. Interestingly, I recently upgraded my system and changed my graphics settings from Medium to Ultra-High, and this is when my targeting circle started 'fading in' instead of instantly appearing. If I go back to Medium graphics will it start appearing instantly again? Maybe I will try it out tonight. It is sad to think that game behaviour might degrade because of 'better' graphics.
    I have confirmed that reverting to Medium graphics settings causes my targetting circle to appear instantly in all circumstances. This can serve as a workaround while we wait for Turbine to fix it (snicker).

I have confirmed that reverting to Medium graphics settings causes my targetting circle to appear instantly in all circumstances. This can serve as a workaround while we wait for Turbine to fix it (snicker).
    Did you /bug it?
    [LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][SIZE=1]Ardent Defender against the Order of Fanatical [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Anti-N[/SIZE][SIZE=1]eophyte [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Braggadocios [/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ordaining Illogicality[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT]

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Wink Re: Hunter wipe

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    But with that said, it's not a big deal. You're not a true Hunter unless you've caused at least 1 wipe by either opening with Rain of Arrows in an area with high mob density, pulling boss aggro and then running AWAY from the tank while screaming "OMG get it off of me!", or forgetting to purge poison (Zaudru ftw!).
    Wellll... /sigh
    sign me up for the "Notta hunter" group then .
    I haven't done any of those with my hunter except forget I have purge poison (solo) now (but wishing I had my LM's wound/disease removal).

Ahh, that would explain why I have never encountered this circle delay. I only go out into the wilds with medium settings (for improved performace).
    Last edited by Griffy; Mar 20 2010 at 12:38 PM.
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duredhel View Post
    Did you /bug it?
    Yes I did. I suspect that it is just one of the graphics settings that changes when you switch from High graphics to Very High graphics and, if I felt like it, I could probably isolate it. But I do this kind of thing all day at work and don't want to do it in my leisure time as well.

Yes I did. I suspect that it is just one of the graphics settings that changes when you switch from High graphics to Very High graphics and, if I felt like it, I could probably isolate it. But I do this kind of thing all day at work and don't want to do it in my leisure time as well.
    Oops. What I left unsaid is that the targeting circle works fine for me on High graphics as well, so it must be one of the changes between High and Very High graphics that triggers the problem. So you could probably set the base graphics settings to Very High or Ultra High and then go the detailed settings, change one of them, and be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast