We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What was the point of this?

"Most of the low level crafting quests are now hidden until you have chosen an appropriate vocation."

I remember reading that in the patch notes and thinking, "Hmmm." at the time. It wasn't entirely clear to me what that meant.

So, now you can only do the crafting quests that apply to your vocation.

Why, exactly?

Is the goal here just to push further and further away from requiring ANY interaction with your fellow players at all?

Not only did these quests encourage you to, you know, TALK to other players in an MMO, they also were a nice way for lowbies to make a bit of coin and raise their crafting skills with a purpose.

It's not like they were REQUIRED for anyone to do, so needing the help of PCs with other crafting skills wasn't limiting your play in any way.

Just ridiculous.
    [b][color=lime]Durond[/b][/color] [color=green][size=1]- L65 LoreMaster[/size] : [/color][b][color=lime]Durric[/color][/b] [color=green][size=1]- L65 Minstrel[/size] : [/color][color=lime][b]Ducan[/color][/b][color=green][size=1] - L65 Hunter[/size] : [/color][b][color=lime]Dulbo[/color][/b][size=1] [color=green]- L58 Burglar[/size][/color]
    [b][color=red]Duli[/b][/color][size=1] [color=indianred]- L35 Rune-Keeper[/size] : [/color] [color=red][b]Dund[/b][/color][color=indianred][size=1] - L40 Warden[/size][/color]
    [color=gray][b]The Grey Wanderers of Brandywine[/b] [size=1]5 Stonemirk Street, Barinsgarth, Thorin's Hall Homesteads[/color][/size]

Re: What was the point of this?

They also allowed for you to level up alts faster by sending them crafted items from your other characters. I suspect this is why they changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Incognito View Post
    They also allowed for you to level up alts faster by sending them crafted items from your other characters. I suspect this is why they changed it.
    Turbine probably did not like what I was doing.

I would not bother with any production craft. I take all the quests. Have my master crafters make all the items. The little one would run around and get all these quick easy experience points.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Incognito View Post
    I don't know why they would, since everything they've done lately has been in service of leveling up lowbies faster.
    [b][color=lime]Durond[/b][/color] [color=green][size=1]- L65 LoreMaster[/size] : [/color][b][color=lime]Durric[/color][/b] [color=green][size=1]- L65 Minstrel[/size] : [/color][color=lime][b]Ducan[/color][/b][color=green][size=1] - L65 Hunter[/size] : [/color][b][color=lime]Dulbo[/color][/b][size=1] [color=green]- L58 Burglar[/size][/color]
    [b][color=red]Duli[/b][/color][size=1] [color=indianred]- L35 Rune-Keeper[/size] : [/color] [color=red][b]Dund[/b][/color][color=indianred][size=1] - L40 Warden[/size][/color]
    [color=gray][b]The Grey Wanderers of Brandywine[/b] [size=1]5 Stonemirk Street, Barinsgarth, Thorin's Hall Homesteads[/color][/size]

Well look at the wording:

"Most of the low level crafting quests are now hidden until you have chosen an appropriate vocation."

Most does not mean all. And "an appropriate vocation" may mean ANY vocation (ie you need to choose SOMETHING to do them).

Obviously players would need to test this out for themselves, but if Turbine truly meant that a Metalsmith for instance, couldn't do a crafting quest geared towards the Farmer (I need 5 apples and 4 onions!) I imagine they would have been more definitive in their wording (using the instead of an).

I got some alts rolling around at low level, who I have not chosen a vocation yet, but grabbed all the crafting quests I could (pre-Update), so I could check it out.

But I dare say it is a bad idea. If Turbine was at all concerned with players leveling faster they wouldn't have:

-Handed us 2 or 3 levels with the XP changes
    -Made the changes to DPS and monster health, which, I don't care what they say about it being "balanced" has made monsters easier to kill across the board...
    -The Revamps which added quests and made the quest givers closer to the area where the player is working (which increases the level to time ratio by a lot...)

I bet its probably more simple than that.

I'm sure its because many new players get the crafting quests and don't know what to do to find the items or where to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by DathKahRek View Post

Obviously players would need to test this out for themselves, but if Turbine truly meant that a Metalsmith for instance, couldn't do a crafting quest geared towards the Farmer (I need 5 apples and 4 onions!) I imagine they would have been more definitive in their wording (using the instead of an).
    Actually, that is exactly what happened. And AFAIK, it affected ALL crafting quests not geared towards specific tier quests - since, those by definition are already specific to certain professions (e.g. Tier 2 Tailor quest).

/*/*/*

As for the OP, I have absolutely No clue what so ever. There is Still a "way around" this that's actually something you can do even before this change; but the change itself? No clue. It does seem counter to other changes they've done to make leveling at low levels faster/easier.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

I think it comes down to 'realism'

If I am an NPC and I want a ruby ring or whatever the quests require, I'm not going to ask a weaponsmith. I'm going to ask a jewler. If I want scambled eggs, I won't be asking the woodworker over there, I'll ask the cook.
    Pretending that something didn't happen, doesn't make it so.

It was probably meant to clear up confusion for new players. They may get these quests unrelated to their crafting profession and become confused why they can't make these items, not realizing they come from a different profession.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000005c4d1/01006/signature.png]Jeanna[/charsig][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrMagic View Post
    It was probably meant to clear up confusion for new players. They may get these quests unrelated to their crafting profession and become confused why they can't make these items, not realizing they come from a different profession.
    LOL I thought of this, but the common consensus before about this (don't think there was an actual Dev post stating reason) is that they introduced players to bartering/trading with other players to complete these quests. Obviously, that's not the case now...
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrMagic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanCarlo View Post
    LOL I thought of this, but the common consensus before about this (don't think there was an actual Dev post stating reason) is that they introduced players to bartering/trading with other players to complete these quests. Obviously, that's not the case now...
    It can be confusing to be a woodworker and have someone ask you to get them woodworker lore, which, as a newbie, you don't realize is actually made by scholars. That was totally confusing to me when I was new.

But on the other hand, asking is how we learn. And how we learn about other professions and learn about the interaction between them. I'm also disappointed these were removed, because they really felt like they taught new players about interaction and other players.

Seems like a few level-capped players going easy mode on their alts by providing them with easy XP from these quests isn't really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanCarlo View Post
    This was one of the reasons that I liked these quests. PLEASE, let's encourage interaction with your fellow players in an MMO. They're not required. They're not gating anything. They don't reward uber loot. If you didn't wanna request the items from another player or buy from them on the AH, you didn't have to do them.

If you couldn't be bothered to READ THE QUEST TEXT that TOLD you to either make it yourself or find someone who could (EVERY one of them said - and still does actually - something to the effect of "If you know of any scholar who can make this lore...") then, really, you shouldn't be playing a game based off of a literary work.

Ahh, JeanCarlo, every day I see the game that we started playing years ago slipping further and further away. And what's taking its place is holding less and less interest for me.
    Last edited by DougHillman; Mar 16 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Less confusing for new players? My little jeweler made the Glittering Copper Rings and the Glittering Copper Necklace for his crafting quests. They didn't work. Seems the Devs forgot to change them to the new recipe.?!

All in all, very frustrating. Was hoping it would be changed with the last update but alias it was not. There is no joy among the young jewelers. How is this less confusing? Wish they would fix what they changed or put it back to where it was and worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentelyoo View Post
    I bet its probably more simple than that.

I'm sure its because many new players get the crafting quests and don't know what to do to find the items or where to find them.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll go back and look on my LM who never trained a craft.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tuners View Post
    Less confusing for new players? My little jeweler made the Glittering Copper Rings and the Glittering Copper Necklace for his crafting quests. They didn't work. Seems the Devs forgot to change them to the new recipe.?!

All in all, very frustrating. Was hoping it would be changed with the last update but alias it was not. There is no joy among the young jewelers. How is this less confusing? Wish they would fix what they changed or put it back to where it was and worked.
    I think that's a known bug. It's not working the way it's supposed to, so it's not really an intentional part of the change.

There's some confusion here.... the quests are now HIDDEN. They're not gone. They're not unavailable to people not of that profession. They're hidden! Turn on 'display all quests'/hide quests below my level and they'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rhegan View Post
    There's some confusion here.... the quests are now HIDDEN. They're not gone. They're not unavailable to people not of that profession. They're hidden! Turn on 'display all quests'/hide quests below my level and they'll be there.
    No, no they're not.

Unless you have a UI setting which I don't have, you're speaking of the "Display trivial quests in radar" setting, which displays the rings for grey quests in the mini-map / radar. That's not the issue here.

The crafting quests, other than for your chosen profession, simply aren't available to you once you've chosen a profession.

Which sucks. And was a stupid dev change to make. And a sucky one, but I think I already said that.

My apologies; it wasn't clear from the thread either - and I read the patch notes as "hidden from view" (but available if greyed out quests are displayed). Agreed, then, definitely an odd and unfortunate change (I ran alts through these quests and it'd get them to level 12 or so and it kept the tier 1 economy going).

(All my alt slots are full, and all these crafting quests done, else I'd have tested it before posting >.>)

Quote Originally Posted by rhegan View Post
    My apologies; it wasn't clear from the thread either - and I read the patch notes as "hidden from view" (but available if greyed out quests are displayed). Agreed, then, definitely an odd and unfortunate change (I ran alts through these quests and it'd get them to level 12 or so and it kept the tier 1 economy going).

(All my alt slots are full, and all these crafting quests done, else I'd have tested it before posting >.>)
    Agreed on both of your stated benefits of these quests. Those of us who were running alts could use them to level quickly if we so chose, and it was nice to be able to both help out newbies and get SOMETHING back for my low level crafting by tossing stuff up on the AH.

This change was quite possibly the most pointless and stupid I've seen in the 3 years of LOTRO.

You know, since someone took the time to move this, it woulda been nice if they'd taken the time to get an answer for the question.

It's not insulting enough that no one has any response as to why this idiotic change was made, but they think so little of it that they'll shove it off to the crafting forum where threads go to die.

shhhhh... they're hoping you'll forget things used to be different....
    Last edited by Eledmeoiel; Apr 17 2010 at 11:52 PM.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][COLOR=#a8c5ed][COLOR=deepskyblue][B]Rochwyn[/B] • Captain[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise] • Miluihel, Loremaster • Eordhe, Guardian • Duvaneth, Burglar • [i]et aliae (and others)[/i][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#303030]..................[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][COLOR=#a8c5ed][COLOR=deepskyblue]Blacksmith [I]((website/forum admin))[/I] of Laurelin[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=DarkSlateGray].[/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=red][COLOR=#303030]...............[/COLOR]Gulburz, Warg (R6) [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=3][FONT=Papyrus][SIZE=4][COLOR=#fffacd]☼[/COLOR][/SIZE] [URL="http://www.gatheringoflaurelin.com/"]The Gathering of Laurelin[/URL][SIZE=4][COLOR=lemonchiffon] ☼[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000021d87/01008/signature.png]Rochwyn[/charsig]