We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Crickets...

Crickets...

Anyone else hearing crickets as of late? Surprisingly few people online so soon after a fresh update.

I blame new MMO's and a lack of fresh content here, but still, it's quiet out there in the field...
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

Re: Crickets...

which fresh update?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000009553c/01001/signature.png]Clangeddon[/charsig]

Depends on what time and where you're talking about.

I can barely log on and see less than 100 players on unite, nor get through Bree without tripping over dozens of lower level players yesterday afternoon.

heck, I even saw 4 different players in my neighborhood in the last 2 days and we all know how "dead" housing is.
    [COLOR=#ffa500]0096 2251 2110 8105[/COLOR]

Actually the new expansion of Mirkwood has crippled alot of kins because of the lack of new raids that are worth running because of no real good rewards so membership has dwindled.
    Then Turbine released a new update with really no new content to write home about but they did manage to decimate the race of hobbits with the new run animation. Hardly see many hobbits running around anymore. It definately seems very empty anymore even on brandywine. There are still some hardcore groups running some of the new instances but even then it doesnt seem like alot.
    Waiting for the next update to see if there are any players left. I do predict that if Turbine keeps going in the direction of the past few updates we will start to see some servers get shut down to repopulate the existing ones. I for one hopes this doesnt happen. As unhappy as ive been with the direction this game has gone, im still hanging on to the hope Turbine has an ace in the hole they gonna pull out in the fall to blow us away.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000086f7b/01005/signature.png]Kroto[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post
    Anyone else hearing crickets as of late? Surprisingly few people online so soon after a fresh update.

I blame new MMO's and a lack of fresh content here, but still, it's quiet out there in the field...
    more like...folks are taking their mains and alts thru vol1 and finishing it.

its crowded at every epic hub...lotsa folks soloing and puggin up in various sizes from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Darej View Post
    more like...folks are taking their mains and alts thru vol1 and finishing it.

its crowded at every epic hub...lotsa folks soloing and puggin up in various sizes from my experience.

My experience has been the same as Darej. I've been catching up my lower-level alts on Volume 1 Book 1 and have had plenty of company along the way. I've seen plenty of folks around the hubs during morning & mid-day Eastern US time.
    [COLOR=lime][COLOR=White]Also known as [/COLOR]Jondo[/COLOR][COLOR=white], the off-key hobbit minstrel and purveyor of bad puns.
    [COLOR=Yellow]Are you at least 30 years old and looking to join a fun, casual kinship for mature players? Check out the[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=white][COLOR=DarkOrange][URL="http://www.evenstar-kinship.com"]Evenstar Kinship[/URL][/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]on Vilya.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=cyan]LOTRO Founder & Member for [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]Life / Resident of Vilya[/COLOR]

Yeah great to hear it. Sounds like 'alt-time' for a while, and I'm guilty of that myself (not that there's anything wrong with that). My kin's been quiet too, although we caught a couple new members lately.

Overall, it is slow out there. Can't believe it.

When I went overseas in Jan, it seemed like it was off the hook. Just can't put my finger on what's happened since then.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

I know that myself and six of my friends have recently (as in, just over a month ago) started here on Vilya (and LotRO in general.) I know of at least three or four other people who are giving the game the serious eyeball atm.

Some of the most recent games to come out with big names (AoC, WAR, etc) have sort of proved disappointing in various ways. In the meantime, LotRO has received some good press recently.

As a nine year veteran of MMOs now numbering in the double digits, I will opine that this is a very solid game. Not positive why I didn't take it out for a spin earlier. We're all loving it.

As far as PUGs, I was able to get a really good one for my very first GB run on Monday. Always a good sign of a games health, when people are still forming and running low lvl instance pugs.

Fantasy Land, sharing a house with Loch Ness and Bigfoot

People will always say that the game is dying if people arent running around end-game, because most people have the mentality that that is all there is to an MMO.

In reality, at least in my opinion, the amount of people running around the start and middle of the game is more indicative of the health of a game. I mean, you wouldn't look at the elderly portion of society and declare them to be the "pinacle" of a countries population. New blood is what defines an MMO, and from what i've seen since Vol 3 dropped, we're getting healthier by the day.

Case in point - Lone-lands this weekend, I counted ~15 different people questing from the Forsaken Inn into Minas Eriol. And that was 15 different people that I actually ran past. There were other people in LFF and OOC at that time, presumably around GA and the southern swamps from their conversation. Likewise, the Bree-land zone has been swarming with new characters for the last couple of weeks.

I think what Turbine did with Volume 3 was an INCREDIBLY clever idea. What better way to get new subs, than to release an update that makes the entirety of the original game "soloable"? With the aforementioned mindset, this makes people say "WOW, I can quickly get through the low level content and be at end game!". Combine that with the relative "compactness" of Moria, Lorien and Mirkwood, you've got a influx of people that had never given the game a go, or had gotten to Lone lands and decided that everything was to fellowship dependant, that will quite quickly reach end-game.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]

Wink Re: Crickets...

I guess I've been pretty lucky then, been on Vilya just over a week and have managed to find groups for just about for everything that isn't soloable.
    Being Australian, I didn't think that would be the case!~

Quote Originally Posted by RusselDog View Post
    People will always say that the game is dying if people arent running around end-game, because most people have the mentality that that is all there is to an MMO.

In reality, at least in my opinion, the amount of people running around the start and middle of the game is more indicative of the health of a game. I mean, you wouldn't look at the elderly portion of society and declare them to be the "pinacle" of a countries population. New blood is what defines an MMO, and from what i've seen since Vol 3 dropped, we're getting healthier by the day. ...
    Way to make me feel old... hmm.. thanks I guess .

Hehe... I when I am out gallivanting, I see more people in mid-level areas and a few people in my kin are forgoing end-game to level alts. End game is a bit slower though. So I tend to agree... well, except the part where you compare me to a senior citizen.*

* I am just joking of course.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

Jilla is an old lady. /razz /runaway
    Turine Turambare - Warlord - Warg Slayer - Weaver's Enemy - Reaver's Enemy - Blackarrow's Enemy - Warleader's Enemy - Defiler Foe
    TEAM F
    ... occasionally seen on... Mynutts/Thick/Blasthardcheese/Vladtheimpaler/Morvagor/Twiggyt/Belege/Bodybags

Quote Originally Posted by russeldog View Post
    I Mean, You Wouldn't Look At The Elderly Portion Of Society And Declare Them To Be The "pinacle" Of A Countries Population. New Blood Is What Defines An Mmo, And From What I've Seen Since Vol 3 Dropped, We're Getting Healthier By The Day.

Level 65 Minstrel Shakes Fist At Cloud!!!!

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000edc04/01002/signature.png]Revenwyn[/charsig]
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

The day Jilla leaves is the day I fear for the livelihood of the game...

Although I seen in another thread where she is being tempted by the dark side, even though that is still at least another year away...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a01000029d469/signature.png]Neilpatrickharris[/charsig]