We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

For you U.K. stoners

Have you heard about Google Street View?

Check this out:

maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&cbll=51.511600,-0.143723&cbp=12,,,1,&ved=0CB4Q 2wU&sa=X&ei=7WqbS-v9Mor2ygTK5rDLAQ

The URL is long so do a copy and paste.

Supposedly 95% of Britain's roads are now being filmed and shown on Google. So if people in your kin or tribe know your address they can zoom in on your house and see if you're home when you miss a lotro raid (assuming your windows are left exposed).

To me it seems kinda creepy. I played with it for a while and saw quite a few people and even saw a lamp through someone's window along with someone's laundry drying in their back yard. I felt creepy for looking at people's windows but couldn't help myself.

What do you UK folks think about your street being shown to the world?
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection

Re: For you U.K. stoners

wow thanks for this link, I got to virtually travel the streets I grew up in. The detail is spooky and the fact that things dont appear to have changed too much since the early 90s does not make me want to go back to England in a hurry lol
    Diremaw of Dwarrowdelf

You know these are NOT live cameras right?

Google has had street view for a while now, hell the view of my house is over 4 years old

lol well I figured out they weren't live yesterday when I went looking through Ireland and saw very different cloud formations just while moving down one street.

4 years?? I figured out it wasn't live but geez.. 4 years? Does anyone know what the time delay is?
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection

After 2 hours of searching for the answer, I have come to the conclusion that Google updates their imagery whenever they feel like it. They share sattelites that take some of the pictures, so some are not always available, and in other cases cities like Tehran are updated monthly. They also contract out some areas, people have said they went to the source and asked for an update, dunno how exactly that worked for em in truth, but thats all I can find as of yet, but damnit now I wanna know so I can go stand on my roof and "wave"

Edit: I have found that a lot of the street level layer pictures are taken from automobiles, so who knows how ofter they send them around, I can seem to find every other bit of info, except for when/how often they update their imagery
    Last edited by Vedwed; Mar 15 2010 at 12:10 PM.

I did a Google street view of my old house back in California, and was startled to see my car still parked in the driveway. I haven't lived there in nearly 4 years. lol
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000f6847/signature.png]Balawise[/charsig]
    Baladin - 65 Dwarf Rune-keeper, Balabo - 65 Hobbit Burglar, Balaroc - 62 Hobbit Guardian, Baladonna - 54 Hobbit Hunter, Balagrim - 41 Dwarf Champion

Too funny. I know the view of my house is at least two years old, since my garden isn't in it.
    [center][color=teal]Wingwoz (on hunters in LOTRO), "I prefer to think of them more like Elvis or James Dean. Terminally self indulgent but their presence in a party, nay, the very fact that they ever existed, makes the world a cooler place."[/color]
    [color=orange]'[i]Zairente hums, "Little rabbit Poo-kie / running through the Di-res / scooping up the Mon-archs / and BANGING 'em on the head."[/i]'
    [i][url=http://my.lotro.com/user-984907/]The Antics and Ramblings of Family Nenaelin[/url][/i][/color][/center]