We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 98 of 115 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2870
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Ok then...
    Next up: turkey
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Two things.

First, I thought
    Gitche Gumme
    (from your signature) was one of the Great Lakes and thus not in Washington State. I would love to improve my understanding on that point.

Secondly, I have been wrestling with the clue. I thought I remembered a text reference to a "gobbler" or "gobbling noise" in the throat. I can't seem to find it though. In the meantime, I will offer a much less direct answer. I will posit a mental leap from Turkey to Thanksgiving, and proffer as the solution the custom of Faramir (on behalf of the Numenorean exiles generally) at mealtimes to turn to the West in honor of Illuvatar (or the Valar, I forget which he honored).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Two things.

First, I thought
    Gitche Gumme
    (from your signature) was one of the Great Lakes and thus not in Washington State. I would love to improve my understanding on that point.

Secondly, I have been wrestling with the clue. I thought I remembered a text reference to a "gobbler" or "gobbling noise" in the throat. I can't seem to find it though. In the meantime, I will offer a much less direct answer. I will posit a mental leap from Turkey to Thanksgiving, and proffer as the solution the custom of Faramir (on behalf of the Numenorean exiles generally) at mealtimes to turn to the West in honor of Illuvatar (or the Valar, I forget which he honored).
    Gitche Gumme is more of a mental state. Washington State is where I reside physically.

Now, about your guess; you started off on the right track and then veered off.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

As I recall, the Valar held an annual first fruits/harvest festival in Aman. In fact, I think it was during such a festival that Morgoth and Ungoliant snuck in and destroyed the Two Trees.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

well, if the gobbler thing is on track, Gollum then?

The quote is from ROTK, when Sam and Frodo are sneaking through the valley between the Morgai and the Ephel Duath, and they overhear some orcs arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    well, if the gobbler thing is on track, Gollum then?

The quote is from ROTK, when Sam and Frodo are sneaking through the valley between the Morgai and the Ephel Duath, and they overhear some orcs arguing.
    That's the one. The two orcs are arguing about various things and they refer to Gollum as a "gobbler".

You are up.

Gonna make up a word, as it were.

non-iant

Well, "iant" means bridge. I will go with the broken bridge over the chasm in Moria. However, I recognize that this is an ex-iant rather than a non-iant.

correct. Well, correct in that you are correct in why that is not a correct answer. Nice try though.

I actually worried that the word might be hard to figure out. I forgot the depth of Tolkien nerdity present here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    Gonna make up a word, as it were.

non-iant
    Hmmm, non bridge.
    How about a tunnel as in Torech Ungol; Shelob's lair, or the tunnel complex that she inhabited?

nope. I don't want to be too free with hints yet as this clue is only a couple hours old.

Haldir and Orophin's rope crossing of the Celebrant?

That is still a bridge, at least to my way of thinking, just made of ropes.

Iant would be an engineered way across a natural obstacle. A non-iant would therefor be...?

I'll be more explicit tomorrow if that doesn't help.

Maybe the bridge of Khazad-Dum? A 'natural' span across the chasm (or at least I assume it was natural, doesn't say in the books AFAIK).

that's still a bridge, whether it was constructed or no.

If you don't build a bridge at a place where most bridges are built, what are you doing?

The Ford of Bruinen?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --J.R.R. Tolkien (Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring)

That is one of many acceptable answers - I had in mind the Fords of Isen, but yours is just as good an answer. You're up!

Well, coming up with a single word was harder than I thought it would be... Hope this works:

Compliment?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --J.R.R. Tolkien (Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring)

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    Compliment?
    First shot in the dark to get it started: Melian giving lembas to Turin through Beleg. One of the highest compliments possible.

First thing came to my mind was Aragorn hailing Arwen and calling her Luthien Tinuviel. Now thats a compliment

Both very definitely true compliments. I'm sure there are others as well (including, for example, the Praise them with great Praise! on the Fields of Cormallen).

As I look at my clue, I realize I was giving a clue like a NY Times Crossword puzzle with a question mark at the end of the clue. (If that's any help...)

Both very definitely true compliments. I'm sure there are others as well (including, for example, the Praise them with great Praise! on the Fields of Cormallen).

As I look at my clue, I realize I was giving a clue like a NY Times Crossword puzzle with a question mark at the end of the clue. (If that's any help...)
    Compliment?

How about this? Saruman speaking to Theoden at Orthanc after the Ents drowned the place: This was an example of Saruman complimenting Theoden but his true feelings were revealed a few moments later.

'But come now,' said the soft voice. 'Two at least of you I know by name. Gandalf I know too well to have much hope that he seeks help or counsel here. But you, Théoden Lord of the Mark of Rohan are declared by your noble devices, and still more by the fair countenance of the House of Eorl. O worthy son of Thengel the Thrice-renowned!

what came to my mind is the conversation between Merry and Gandalf after Saruman's insults towards the ragtags dangling after him, so to speak, and Gandalf says an insult from him is more a compliment.

Well it doesnt to those that arent from USA
    My next guess would be:
    -Samwise the Brave?
    I refer to the scene where Frodo confirms to Sam that he wasnt being ironic

Well, it's clear to me that "compliment?" doesn't point unambiguously to any one thing...

I will say though, that it is (in my opinion) an accurate condensation of the sentence(s) I'm thinking of into one word.

... and it is from LotR.

And yes, I did worry about the NY Times Crossword puzzle reference not helping some of you. The crossword uses the question mark to indicate an answer that either depends on a point of view or interpretation of the clue/statement. So closer in spirit to Boraxxe and Mulkfather's answers.
    Last edited by quetzalcoatl; Apr 23 2014 at 01:53 PM.

Page 98 of 115 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast