We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 97 of 118 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2929
  1. #2401
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    the return of the White Tree to Minas Tirith?
    Nope. Just to re-iterate this is nothing to do with Aragorn, in fact restored refers to events that happened way before the time of the LOTR fellowship.

  2. #2402
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Lowlands
    Posts
    359
    Maybe King Eldacar?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

  3. #2403
    Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Maybe King Eldacar?
    Ding ding! Correct, the deposed and later restored king of Gondor. You're up.

  4. #2404
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Lowlands
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Ding ding! Correct, the deposed and later restored king of Gondor. You're up.
    Ok, thanks, the next riddle is "Serpent"
    Last edited by c_the_awesome; Apr 02 2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

  5. #2405
    Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    "Serpent"
    Gríma Wormtounge? (wyrm-tunge)
    "I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking."
    [The Hobbit, or There and Back Again; Riddles in the Dark]

  6. #2406
    Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    "Serpent"
    Eomer? When Gandalf and Theoden confront Saruman at Isengard, I believe Saruman refers to Eomer as a serpent IIRC.

  7. #2407
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Lowlands
    Posts
    359
    nope, but the answers are both pretty close
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

  8. #2408
    The enemy standard that Theoden brought down at the Battle of Pellenor Fields shortly before he was laid low by the Witch King?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

  9. #2409
    Or maybe Saruman himself, what with his skilled mind and tounge.
    "I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking."
    [The Hobbit, or There and Back Again; Riddles in the Dark]

  10. #2410
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Lowlands
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    The enemy standard that Theoden brought down at the Battle of Pellenor Fields shortly before he was laid low by the Witch King?
    Bingo, that be the correct answer, I find it funny though, nobody has mentioned Scatha...
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

  11. #2411
    Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Bingo, that be the correct answer, I find it funny though, nobody has mentioned Scatha...
    Actually I thought of Scatha the Worm straight away, saved myself the trouble of guessing hehe

  12. #2412
    Excellent. I can now die in piece, having achieved my life-long goal of holding all three riddle sticks at the same time.

    Here is the next clue:

    Unanswered.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

  13. #2413
    Hmm, a few ways to take this one. To get the ball rolling:
    Unanswered – Theoden’s and Galadriel’s appeals to Elrond for help before the Battle of the Hornburg (as opposed to PJ’s version…)

    Haha, just kidding. How about Hurin’s call to Turgon to let him back into the Hidden City?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  14. #2414
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Hmm, a few ways to take this one. To get the ball rolling:
    Unanswered – Theoden’s and Galadriel’s appeals to Elrond for help before the Battle of the Hornburg (as opposed to PJ’s version…)

    Haha, just kidding. How about Hurin’s call to Turgon to let him back into the Hidden City?
    I will take that. I was actually thinking about Sauron's emissary to Dain, but your answer also works.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

  15. #2415
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    I will take that. I was actually thinking about Sauron's emissary to Dain, but your answer also works.
    Wow, you were easy to convince! Now for the next riddle. I always find the one-word clues the hardest, because they tend to be fairly easy or else they apply to several things and not just 1 unique answer. Not sure I can avoid these traps, but let's try with:

    Surgeon
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  16. #2416
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Wow, you were easy to convince! Now for the next riddle. I always find the one-word clues the hardest, because they tend to be fairly easy or else they apply to several things and not just 1 unique answer. Not sure I can avoid these traps, but let's try with:

    Surgeon
    My experience with these JRRT riddle threads (going back an embarassing number of years now) is that they are most rewarding for the participants if the first valid answer is accepted even if it wasn't what the riddler had in mind. Otherwise it changes from trivia game into an exercise of "guess which of multiple possible answers I am thinking of." My personal guideline is that if I cannot distinguish an answer on the basis of something that was either made clear in the framing of the riddle or because there is a clear "best" answer, I will tip my cap and accept it. I try to anticipate where there are multiple solutions and revise my wording to capture only the (presumably) clever answer I am looking for. If I can't do that, I sometimes will weasle a bit and add framing parameters. For example, I might proactively disqualify one or two more obvious solutions. Sometimes I will say that I need three valid responses in order to satisfy the riddle. Of course, every time I do that it turns out that there were actually 5 qualifying answers, but that's the way it goes. Trying to decide if there is a "best" answer can be tricky. I usually only take a stand on that basis if the "best answer" is something like a direct translation of the clue. For example, "Great Fortress" has many possible solutions, but I didn't feel bad about holding out for "Belegost".
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

  17. #2417
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Surgeon
    Let's start with a simple one: Elrond removing the blade shard from Frodo?

  18. #2418
    Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Let's start with a simple one: Elrond removing the blade shard from Frodo?
    Yup, easy as pie. Mmm pie.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  19. #2419
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    My experience with these JRRT riddle threads (going back an embarassing number of years now) is that they are most rewarding for the participants if the first valid answer is accepted even if it wasn't what the riddler had in mind. Otherwise it changes from trivia game into an exercise of "guess which of multiple possible answers I am thinking of." My personal guideline is that if I cannot distinguish an answer on the basis of something that was either made clear in the framing of the riddle or because there is a clear "best" answer, I will tip my cap and accept it. I try to anticipate where there are multiple solutions and revise my wording to capture only the (presumably) clever answer I am looking for. If I can't do that, I sometimes will weasle a bit and add framing parameters. For example, I might proactively disqualify one or two more obvious solutions. Sometimes I will say that I need three valid responses in order to satisfy the riddle. Of course, every time I do that it turns out that there were actually 5 qualifying answers, but that's the way it goes. Trying to decide if there is a "best" answer can be tricky. I usually only take a stand on that basis if the "best answer" is something like a direct translation of the clue. For example, "Great Fortress" has many possible solutions, but I didn't feel bad about holding out for "Belegost".
    Seems to be quite reasonable!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  20. #2420
    Let's go for more pie then!

    Next: headlight

  21. #2421
    Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Let's go for more pie then!

    Next: headlight
    The Elendilmir? the radiant gem worn on the head as a symbol of royalty by the kings of Arnor.

  22. #2422
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    The Elendilmir? the radiant gem worn on the head as a symbol of royalty by the kings of Arnor.
    Fitting. And it was modeled after Earendil's Silmaril performing similar headlamp function.
    Your turn.

  23. #2423
    Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Fitting. And it was modeled after Earendil's Silmaril performing similar headlamp function.
    Your turn.
    Must admit I hadn't thought of that.

    Anyway, next one: benefactor

  24. #2424
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Must admit I hadn't thought of that.

    Anyway, next one: benefactor
    Sauron, during the Second Age, clothed himself in a fair countenance and went by the name of Annatar, The Lord of Gifts.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

  25. #2425
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Sauron, during the Second Age, clothed himself in a fair countenance and went by the name of Annatar, The Lord of Gifts.
    Spot on! The stick is yours.

 

 
Page 97 of 118 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload