We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 91 of 117 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2906
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    My best guess is Fingolfin at the end of the Dagor Braggolach, the despair and fury that inspires him to ride to Angband alone and challenge Morgoth to single combat.
    Yes, that is the answer I had in mind. Fingolfin’s journey to challenge Morgoth to single combat is described thus by Tolkien:
    He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
    -The Silmarillion, Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
    Apologies again for the poor riddle, there were some great guesses in here!

You are up Mulkfather.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Wilros, it is impossible with one word to make a riddle that doesn't have multiple possible answers. No apologies necessary!

Atop

I'm going to start off by narrowing it down to a time period because, as I said above, lots of stuff is possible when you have just one word to figure it out. The thing in question occurs during the First Age.

Wilros, it is impossible with one word to make a riddle that doesn't have multiple possible answers. No apologies necessary!

Atop

I'm going to start off by narrowing it down to a time period because, as I said above, lots of stuff is possible when you have just one word to figure it out. The thing in question occurs during the First Age.
    Hmm, since I've got Fingolfin on the brain, how about his burial atop a mountain by Thorondor and Turgon?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

It is not.

BTW, the Fall of Fingolfin is probably my favorite story in all of the Silmarillion.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)

Cool

Hear, hear. What he said.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

this apparently needs a poke. The event in question is during the First Age.

Possibly the capture of Hurin after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, Morgoth cursed Hurin and placed him high on the peaks on f Thangorodrim, but don't know if the word atop was specifically used.

the word doesn't necessarily have to be used, it's merely a description of the location where an event occurred. I can't remember off the top of my head whether the word specifically is used in the narrative myself. Hurin on Morgoth's seat is not the answer I'm looking for, though time wise it's not terribly far off from it.

The event in question occurred in the aftermath of one of the more famous battles that happened the First Age of the sun.

I'm reluctant to give much more in the way of clues as if I narrow it much further the answer will become obvious, but I will if it becomes necessary.

Hmm, seems like I'm missing something that should be obvious, can't think of anything else 'atop' around the Battle of Unnumbered tears. So I'll make another attempt with a famous 'battle' that took place after, though only between 2 combatants: atop the cliffs of Cabed-en-Aras, Turin slayed Glaurung, but Nienor cast herself off of the cliffs after learning she had married her brother, and then Turin also took his life in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Hmm, seems like I'm missing something that should be obvious, can't think of anything else 'atop' around the Battle of Unnumbered tears. So I'll make another attempt with a famous 'battle' that took place after, though only between 2 combatants: atop the cliffs of Cabed-en-Aras, Turin slayed Glaurung, but Nienor cast herself off of the cliffs after learning she had married her brother, and then Turin also took his life in that place.
    The Great Battles were not the only battles fought, remember. I've noted it is in the aftermath of a famous battle, and it is not one of the Five.

I'll try again with Glaurung, who perched himself 'atop' the treasures of Nargothrond after sacking the city.

not Glaurung though you're pretty close time wise. The event in question is a little later in the First Age.

The Great Battles were not the only battles fought, remember. I've noted it is in the aftermath of a famous battle, and it is not one of the Five.
    When the white tree was placed 'atop' Minas Tirith perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    When the white tree was placed 'atop' Minas Tirith perhaps?
    this is not in the First Age and therefore not it.

Well, I'll keep hammering away on this one, though I feel more like I'm bumbling around in the dark LOL.

Something to do with the fall of Gondolin perhaps? I believe that Tuor killed Maeglin by throwing him down from 'atop' the city.

this is not in the First Age and therefore not it.
    The rising of the sun above Arda? That could be considered the sun 'atop' Arda.

Well, I'll keep hammering away on this one, though I feel more like I'm bumbling around in the dark LOL.

Something to do with the fall of Gondolin perhaps? I believe that Tuor killed Maeglin by throwing him down from 'atop' the city.
    you're getting close!

Well, at least I’m getting closer hehe. Alright, assuming it is connected to the Fall of Gondolin then, perhaps Glorfindel being borne up by the eagles after being killed in the process of defeating the balrog, and his body was buried ‘atop’ the mountain pass?

Well, at least I’m getting closer hehe. Alright, assuming it is connected to the Fall of Gondolin then, perhaps Glorfindel being borne up by the eagles after being killed in the process of defeating the balrog, and his body was buried ‘atop’ the mountain pass?
    Close enough. The Silmarillion speaks of song that were sung of the battle of Glorfindel and the Balrog on the peak/pinnacle along the pass there. You're up!

Close enough. The Silmarillion speaks of song that were sung of the battle of Glorfindel and the Balrog on the peak/pinnacle along the pass there. You're up!
    Hmm, I guess dogged persistence does finally pay off!

Next one: Handyman

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Hmm, I guess dogged persistence does finally pay off!

Next one: Handyman
    To eliminate the obvious easy one:

Gaffer Gamgee
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    To eliminate the obvious easy one:

Gaffer Gamgee
    Consider it eliminated, though you may get it on a 2nd guess!

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Maybe its Nob, Baliman's handihobbit.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Nope, not Nob either, but you're thinking along the right lines.

(BTW, my response about getting it on the 2nd guess wasn't a hint, just saying that this riddle isn't too deep).

Page 91 of 117 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast