We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 86 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2923
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    The closest thing I can remember to someone referring to morning was when Gimli said to someone (Eomer?) that he could forgive him for preferring Arwen over Galadriel, for he merely loved the evening while Gimli loved the morning, or something like that.
    Yes, I was going to throw Galadriel in as my answer but was too slow in doing so. It is indeed a conversation between Gimli and Eomer that you refer to.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    It is indeed a conversation between Gimli and Eomer that you refer to.
    Many thanks Wilros.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Yes, I was going to throw Galadriel in as my answer but was too slow in doing so. It is indeed a conversation between Gimli and Eomer that you refer to.
    Eomer? Depends if you're talking movie or book, in the movie, its Eowyn. In the book, its Eomer.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    Eomer? Depends if you're talking movie or book, in the movie, its Eowyn. In the book, its Eomer.
    When I speak of LotR I will virtually always be speaking of the books. If I ever reference the greatly inferior movies I will say so plainly.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

When I speak of LotR I will virtually always be speaking of the books. If I ever reference the greatly inferior movies I will say so plainly.
    Ah, makes sense.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Here's the next clue:

Linked
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Here's the next clue:

Linked
    Hmm, a near endless amount of ways to go with this one. To get the ball rolling, I'll throw a guess out there: Gollum & The Ring.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Hmm, a near endless amount of ways to go with this one. To get the ball rolling, I'll throw a guess out there: Gollum & The Ring.
    Not that.
    And just to be clear, there are not an endless number of ways to go with this one.
    The answer is not a metaphorical application of the clue.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Not that.
    And just to be clear, there are not an endless number of ways to go with this one.
    The answer is not a metaphorical application of the clue.
    I had a feeling that was the case, as your riddles are usually fairly specific, and I suspect that it may be tied to the meaning of a name, but can't think of any that would work for linked. However, no one else has offered a guess so I will try another with a different train of thought: the Dwarves of Belgost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien
    In the tempering of steel alone of all crafts the Dwarves were never outmatched even by the Noldor, and in the making of linked rings, which was first contrived by the smiths of Belgost, their work had no rival

I had a feeling that was the case, as your riddles are usually fairly specific, and I suspect that it may be tied to the meaning of a name, but can't think of any that would work for linked. However, no one else has offered a guess so I will try another with a different train of thought: the Dwarves of Belgost.
    Thats not it but you are heading down the right track.
    But, the Third Age is where this clue comes from.

Question

Pro'ly not right. Don't remember if the books actually specify that it is crafted of links but I assume it would be, as it is of dwarf craft, Bilbo's (then Frodo's) mithril shirt.

Could it be as simple as Thorin's gold chain?

Neither Bilbo's mithril shirt, nor Thorin's gold chain, though both of those characters are involved.

13 wine barrels (holding 13 dwarfs) linked together?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    13 wine barrels (holding 13 dwarfs) linked together?
    Now you have stepped off the right track.

Now you have stepped off the right track.
    I really can't remember off the top of my head if they were indeed chained together, but I always see them so in my minds eye, so will guess Thorin's company as they were taken to goblin-town.

Could it be Frodo not wanting to throw the ring into the fire?

I really can't remember off the top of my head if they were indeed chained together, but I always see them so in my minds eye, so will guess Thorin's company as they were taken to goblin-town.
    You have it, well, close enough anyway. They were chained together after they arrived in the big room with the Great Goblin, not on the way there.

"The goblins chained their hands behind their backs and linked them all together in a line, and dragged them to the far end of the cavern with little Bilbo tugging at the end of the row."

Tolkien, J.R.R., The Hobbit

Gratz! You're up.

You have it, well, close enough anyway. They were chained together after they arrived in the big room with the Great Goblin, not on the way there.

"The goblins chained their hands behind their backs and linked them all together in a line, and dragged them to the far end of the cavern with little Bilbo tugging at the end of the row."

Tolkien, J.R.R., The Hobbit

Gratz! You're up.
    Ah, okay. I see it now. Didn't Gandalf use Glamdring to sever the chains upon escape?
    Next clue; Clinquant

Ah, okay. I see it now. Didn't Gandalf use Glamdring to sever the chains upon escape?
    Next clue; Clinquant
    Anything else for a hint? Nothing comes to mind with just Clinquant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    Anything else for a hint? Nothing comes to mind with just Clinquant.
    A bit early for a hint, don't you think? I mean I only posted it a few hours ago.

Next clue; Clinquant
    A Palantír perhaps?

A bit early for a hint, don't you think? I mean I only posted it a few hours ago.
    When I looked that up on Google just to see directly what came to, the description came. Not gonna say what it was because you all aren't THAT lazy . Could it be Smaug's Treasure hoard? Or would that be referred to as Thrain's Treasure?

Perhaps not Wilros. Um, nope. Definitely not.
    It could be Aideani, but it is not though Smaug's hoard would most certainly have been clinquant.

Well I admit to having to look up this word in the dictionary, I thought you'd made it up
    I'll take a wild guess at Mallorn trees.

Page 86 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast