We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 81 of 116 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2894

Smile

OK, here is an easy one:

Rapunzel

Kibilturg; Watchers of Elendil (Landroval) & Tarciryan Knights (Crickhollow)
    RIP Imladris

Lúthien Tinúviel.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My guess is Galadriel - her hair was long and yellow and coveted.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Galthonviel View Post
    Lúthien Tinúviel.

Absolutely

I was referring to the growing of her hair by singing to use it as a ladder to escape. Another valid question would be "Rubadeh" (روباده) from the Persian epic Shahnameh with a slight difference: She uses her hair to help his lover Sām climb up to her
    RIP Imladris

It's told Tolkien modeled Lúthien in his own wife Edith
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This one should be a bit tricky

Friendship

Friendship
    There are of course a lot of tales of friendship in Tolkiens works. In LoTR the whole idea of the fellowship and its members centers pretty much on friendship. Also the friendship/understanding between Frodo and Smeagol/Gollum is notable. My guess is none of these - it is the first thing that came to mind when thinking about Tolkien and friendship:

The friendship between Beleg Cúthalion and Túrin Turambar.

In my opinion that is one of the most remarkable tales of friendship in all Middle-Earth. Beleg really goes out on a limb for Túrin, but the story ends sadly for both of them, as we all know.

That is indeed a beautiful tale Gadmur, feel like re-reading it now that you brought it up.

And you were remarkably close to the answer.
    Last edited by Galthonviel; Apr 08 2013 at 09:38 AM.

Smile

It's told Tolkien modeled Lúthien in his own wife Edith
    "It's told" would be a huge underestimation:

RIP Imladris

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

"It's told" would be a huge underestimation:

Ha! Indeed, pardon me.

Friendship
    Mayhaps the first (I recall) elf-friend Hador and Fingolfin the king?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Still fairly close.

hint: wearable.

The ring of Barahir?
    RIP Imladris

Precisely.

I can scarcely come up with good riddles, so here's another easy one:

Oidipus
    RIP Imladris

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

I can scarcely come up with good riddles, so here's another easy one:

Oidipus
    im probably wrong,but i'll try with Turin, just cause incest is the common thing (if ur Oidipus is really Edipo in my language xD)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thumbs up

I preferred the transliteration of the original Greek Οἰδίπους rather than the more common Oedipus which is the Latinized form

You're absolutely correct

The tragedy of Túrin often strikes me harder than that of Oidipus in the telling of Sophocles but such excellent interpretations as this in which we see Christopher Plummer and Orson Welles help even out
    RIP Imladris

As this thread has lain dormant for over a month, I shall take it upon myself to try and keep it from extinction.

New riddle:

Disgusting

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    As this thread has lain dormant for over a month, I shall take it upon myself to try and keep it from extinction.

New riddle:

Disgusting
    Thanks Carson, I was getting ready to do the same.

Disgusting -> the odor exuding from Shelob's lair.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

I agree with Boraxxe that Shelob's lair would be a very disgusting smelling place. However, I will try an alternate solution: Saruman arranging the breeding of half-orcs, which seems quite disgusting when you think about the details.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

While those are certainly both rather disgusting, neither are correct. Try looking at it slightly differently.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    While those are certainly both rather disgusting, neither are correct. Try looking at it slightly differently.
    OK, I'll look at it differently. This will be wrong, but it's another take anyway.

If we split the clue up into 2 parts we have "dis" and "gusting".

Dis is the Roman god of the underworld and the Middle-earth equivalent is Melkor.

Gusting is wind blowing in bursts or it could mean bursts of emotion also.

So now we have strong bursts of wind blowing Melkor around.

I submit that the answer is Tulkas.

Quote from the Silmarillion; ”So came Tulkas the Strong, whose anger passes like a mighty wind, scattering cloud and darkness before it, and Melkor fled before his wrath and his laughter, and forsook Arda, and there was peace for a long age.”
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Wow. I would never have even thought of looking at it like that. I don't think I'm clever enough to come up with a riddle like that. Kudos for that answer, Boraxxe.

You still aren't looking at it quite right, however.

OK, so far we have tried a disgusting location (smell), a disgusting act, and even breaking down disgusting to come up with a very unique answer. Assuming we were not on the right track with any of those, I will guess a character: Gollum. It is mentioned a few times when Frodo and/or Sam are disgusted with Gollum’s actions, eating habits, etc. It is also stated that when Frodo offers Gollum some lembas bread, Gollum is disgusted by the smell of the elves on it.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Still not on the right track, though Gollum is certainly very disgusting.

Page 81 of 116 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 91 ... LastLast