We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 56 of 118 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2929

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Hyale you're not pulling a Bilbo on us and posing a "What have I got in my pockets?" are you?

Tricksies precious...very tricksies...
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jan 11 2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Hyale you're not pulling a Bilbo on us and posing a "What have I got in my pockets?" are you?

Tricksies precious...very tricksies...
    Lol pulling a bilbo.... that's good
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001fb4ca/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    If you like my post, please +1 reputation!

Hyale, can you give us a hint to clear up the confusion? Such as what book it is mentioned in or something like that.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Yes hint please! My brain is starting to hurt a bit on this one...
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jan 20 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    The Pools of Irvin?
    An excellent attempt! However, it is not the Pools of Ivrin themselves which are associated with my clue, but Finduilas, daughter of Orodreth, beloved of Gwindor of Nargothrond:

... and so greatly did Gwindor love [Finduilas'] beauty that he named her Faelivrin, which is the gleam of the sun on the pools of Ivrin.
    It is unfortunate nobody extended the reference this far, as it would have been a more-than-acceptable answer (although, again, it is not whom I am thinking of).

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Gleaming:

The Two Trees of Valinor.
    I concede there are specific elements of their description which might individually be construed as such; that said, it seems to me that the Trees embodied living 'luminosity', as befit their purpose, as opposed to merely 'gleaming', which is a passive and rather more lifeless quality. (I hope you all do not mind my being so semantically specific too much!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    Hyale, can you give us a hint to clear up the confusion? Such as what book it is mentioned in or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Yes hint please! My brain is starting to hurt a bit on this one...
    My apologies for the belated response, and most assuredly! Apart from explaining the line of thought which led to a particular answer, I feel that quotations allow us to better share the beauty and depth of Tolkien's creation with all the readers of these riddle threads. Remember that The Lord of the Rings was already itself published as one tale taken from an entire legendarium, glimpses of which we see in the supplemental histories provided at the end of the 'translation' of the Red Book of Westmarch. Only within this much wider context do we begin to appreciate, for example, the true extent of Aragorn's labors, or the historical import and significance of the coming of Eorl the Young.
    Last edited by Hyale; Jan 21 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Just a flash thought...

The Palantíri aka the 'seeing stones'
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jan 22 2012 at 08:43 PM.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Gleaming:

When the three friends first spot Eomer and his riders on the Wold of Rohan the spears of the riders glinted in the morning sun:

Following with his keen eyes the trail to the river, and then the river back towards the forest, Aragorn saw a shadow on the distant green, a dark swift-moving blur. He cast himself upon the ground and listened again intently. But Legolas stood beside him, shading his bright elven-eyes with his long slender hand, and he saw not a shadow, nor a blur, but the small figures of horsemen, many horsemen, and the glint of morning on the tips of their spears was like the twinkle of minute stars beyond the edge of mortal sight. Far behind them a dark smoke rose in thin curling threads.
    Or their shining mail...just a few lines further along:

Now the cries of clear strong voices came ringing over the fields. Suddenly they swept up with a noise like thunder, and the foremost horseman swerved, passing by the foot of the hill, and leading the host back southward along the western skirts of the downs. After him they rode: a long line of mail-clad men. swift, shining, fell and fair to look upon.
    Or the glistening coats of their horses...

Their horses were of great stature, strong and clean-limbed; their grey coats glistened, their long tails flowed in the wind, their manes were braided on their proud necks.

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyale View Post
    Only within this much wider context do we begin to appreciate, for example, the true extent of Aragorn's labors, or the historical import and significance of the coming of Eorl the Young.
    Just to clarify...are these the hints?

Hmm.... gleaming:

Glingal (literally meaning "gleaming light"), the tree Turgon made as an image of Laurelin in Gondolin?
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Well, we have been waiting for Hyale for almost a month.
    The last time he posted anything was on Jan. 21st.
    So I will take it upon myself to post a new riddle.
    When Hyale comes back we can continue with "gleaming".

Here is a new clue:

transfixed

This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

Great game! Can I play?

My opening guess: Elwë
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000603a2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Iasi View Post
    Great game! Can I play?

My opening guess: Elwë
    That was not who I had in mind, however he certainly fits the clue.
    In fact, there are several characters that would fit that clue and since Elwe is the first character that I can remember that was "transfixed" (the others being Turin and Nienor) I will accept that as correct.. Turin was who I intended for the answer and I was prepared to accept Nienor but I had forgotten about Elwe/Thingol.

From The Silmarillion:

Elwë, lord of the Teleri, went often through the great woods to seek out Finwë his friend in the dwellings of the Noldor; and it chanced on a time that he came alone to the starlit wood of Nan Elmoth, and there suddenly he heard the song of nightingales. Then an enchantment fell on him, and he stood still;....
    Gratz Iasi.
    Yes, you certainly CAN play.

Your turn.

Hey - thanks Boraxxe.

(And next time I'll recall to post my reasoning!)

My one word clue: Jet?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000603a2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

jet:

An eagle? Carrying Gandalf to and fro like a personal Lear jet.

Hey - thanks Boraxxe.

(And next time I'll recall to post my reasoning!)

My one word clue: Jet?
    a bit of a stretch but

jet=black=sauron???

Good guesses, but not on the mark.

Hint: It's not a person, it's an object. And the ? is slso true.

jet?

The Stone of Erech that Isildur brought from Numenor and set on top of the Hill of Erech.
    It was also called the Black Stone.

And the ? is slso true.
    This part has really got me bamboozled...

Earendil's ship Vingilote? Taking the meaning of jet as an aircraft, but it was originally a sea vessel.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

It came to me in a dream...

The Tower of Orthanc?

I'm thoroughly entertained by a jet-setting Earendil and Nan Curunir as a rocket launch site But not quite what I was looking for...

Boraxxe is on the right track, but it's older.

Next clue: Perhaps I should say 'material' rather than object.

The palantir recovered from Saruman.

From The Two Towers:

Pippin sat with his knees drawn up and the ball between them. He bent low over it, looking like a greedy child stooping over a bowl of food, in a corner away from others. He drew his cloak aside and gazed at it. The air seemed still and tense about him. At first the globe was dark, black as jet, with the moonlight gleaming on its surface. Then there came a faint glow and stir in the heart of it, and it held his eyes, so that now he could not look away.

I was actually thinking of glavorn, but the same description is used for the palantir, so that works for me.

From The Silmarillion
    He named it galvorn, for it was black and shining like jet...
    Good one, Boraxxe. Over to you.

New one.

temptress

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    New one.

temptress
    Lúthien Tinúviel comes to mind...

She could sway even the Valar through her enchanting magic...

Page 56 of 118 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 106 ... LastLast