We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2866
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    A synonym for "Pimple" which was a derogatory nickname given to Lotho Sackville-Baggins.
    Thats it.

You're on Vilnas.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Playing these riddle games is always a mixture of bittersweet: Cool, I got it right! Oh crud, now I have to come up with the next question.

Playing these riddle games is always a mixture of bittersweet: Cool, I got it right! Oh crud, now I have to come up with the next question.
    Hehe that's so true. I always feel rather anxious when answering: "If this is correct I'll need to think up a riddle". To answer or not to answer, such a hard choice.

Of course that means that you guys who always come up with such great riddles have my respect. /bow

Alright, here we go. Another Vilnas Special Two-Step Riddle:

OMD

For those unfamiliar with this format, the clue points to an interim completely non-Tolkien answer from movies, literature or music. This interim answer is itself a clue that points to a final answer which is uniquely Tolkien.

Personally, I feel that this riddle is much easier than my last one (Butler's daughter). But that one was guessed pretty quickly, so I suppose that means this one will drag out.

OMD
    just to clearify...OMD=Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark yes?

It certainly can be read that way.

Oh, fine. Yes, that's what it means.

It certainly can be read that way.

Oh, fine. Yes, that's what it means.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't having flashbacks to the 80's! ;P

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
    I'm not understanding that as an answer Boraxxe. Can you flesh out what you mean there?

Well, OMD recorded a single; All That Glitters Is Not Gold.

The first line of the well known Tolkien poem is very similar.

Well, OMD recorded a single; All That Glitters Is Not Gold.

The first line of the well known Tolkien poem is very similar.
    Ah, now I understand. Well that is certainly an acceptable answer, although not the one I had in mind. You may have the next riddle. Anyone want to take a crack at my intended answer for OMD? It flows directly from the band name.

How the Valar formed Arda? It was orchestrated according to the 'Music of the Ainur' and was done before Iluin and Ormal were made, in the darkness.

I would have accepted that one too, although a case could be made that the Music of the Ainur was more "Choral Maneuvers in the Dark" rather than "Orchestral." I'm actually pretty disappointed with myself for not foreseeing that one.

Any final guesses regarding a collection of instruments being played in the dark?

Talking Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

I would have accepted that one too, although a case could be made that the Music of the Ainur was more "Choral Maneuvers in the Dark" rather than "Orchestral." I'm actually pretty disappointed with myself for not foreseeing that one.

Any final guesses regarding a collection of instruments being played in the dark?
    In the hobbit... the dwarves playing music in bag end. That was at night am I right? I don't have the book with me right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by Elangr; Dec 15 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elangr View Post
    In the hobbit... the dwarves playing music in bag end. That was at night am I right? I don't have the book with me right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong
    That's the one I had in mind. The dwarves are a mini-orchestra with the assortment of instruments that they brought with them (I always wondered what happened to the instruments afterward - some of them seem so impractical for their adventure). It is night and the lamps have gone out. When Bilbo wants to light them again, Thorin says to leave it dark - dark for dark business.

That's the one I had in mind. The dwarves are a mini-orchestra with the assortment of instruments that they brought with them (I always wondered what happened to the instruments afterward - some of them seem so impractical for their adventure). It is night and the lamps have gone out. When Bilbo wants to light them again, Thorin says to leave it dark - dark for dark business.
    Haha wow I totally did not expect to get that... the answers involving the ainur seemed so much better qualified.

Lets see what boraxxe has for us

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    If I had to guess, it's the Ainulindalë, Eru's great music that brought Eä into existence, and Eru is the conductor and composer of this "orchestra". If it's anything like Genesis, then it would have been done before even light existed, and knowing Tolkien's Catholic background, that's highly likely even with his dislike of allegory.
    I responded to Elenluin-Menelloth on this above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    (P.S. - Be careful with these Vilnas. Not everyone knows about (or has even heard of) the things you know about. I've never heard of OMD.)
    I hear you. Ultimately this is a JRRT forum, not a literature/pop culture forum, and for that reason I am always hesitant to go to this format. It's just that after four years I have run out of ways of framing JRRT trivia questions. Fortunately we have a pretty diverse group, and so far there has always been someone out there with the right background to catch the initial reference.

There's always Google . It was the first result for OMD.

I need to read the Hobbit again, I had no memory of that orchestra.

If only I could shorten my forum name, what madness took me to add a surname.
    Last edited by Elenluin-Menelloth; Dec 15 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Well, I am out of time for this afternoon and since I don't have a riddle ready I guess Elangr can take the tiller.

Have fun!

Well, I am out of time for this afternoon and since I don't have a riddle ready I guess Elangr can take the tiller.

Have fun!
    Oh.... ok. Well lets see....

Anyone who has a riddle can put it up. I don't think I can do one right now.

As Boraxxe and Elangr have left the chance open,

Extinct

My bed is the heather, my roof the cloudy sky.

The Entwives? Tolkien eventually concluded that they became extinct when Sauron ravaged the Brown Lands, their home.

I've got another answer as well, but I don't know whether the rules permit more than one answer per post...

I assume that Ents and Entwives are of the same species and thefore the Ent species is not extinct.

You're quite close though .

My bed is the heather, my roof the cloudy sky.

Entings, then? There have been none of those for a terrible long count of years...

Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast