We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2929

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    Ah, but I do believe his waistcoat was torn. It is possible that they still have "threads" attached to them.

Was it ever stated to be thread-less?

This technically qualifies, though what I'm looking for is not made of thread either. And it's much larger.

Vilnas gets next riddle, but I'm holding onto the riddle mantle until the actual answer is discovered!

(I have a hint that should blow this wide open, but I'm withholding that for about ten more wrong answers.)
    Since I don't have anything in mind, I will defer until Sylux's riddle is guessed or I come up with something, whichever comes first.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

For Sylux's riddle, Frodo's Mithril Shirt? A shirt that's not made of thread.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    What a great answer.
    If that isn't it, it should be.

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Another one that, while technically applicable, is not the answer I'm looking for.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third
    The Second (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

I'll give another try. The rope Luthien made out of her hair to climb down from Hirilorn.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

I'll give another try. The rope Luthien made out of her hair to climb down from Hirilorn.
    I see what I have done with this riddle is make people think that "thread-less" = "something normally made of thread that, in this case, is not".

This is an incorrect assumption.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third

This is bugging me, I can't shake the feeling the answer has something to do with thoughts or thinking, or something mental if that makes sense. Even before you gave the clue about "Character" that you appeared not to.

Attended by Coldaen

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttaker View Post
    This is bugging me, I can't shake the feeling the answer has something to do with thoughts or thinking, or something mental if that makes sense. Even before you gave the clue about "Character" that you appeared not to.
    That which is "thread-less" is a real, physical object.

HINT: It is not from the First Age.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third

Since there hasn't been any other answers can you give us a hint Sylux? I'm a bit confused since you usually call something _less, if it usually has that but not in this case. For example fatherless or sleeveless. At least as far as I know, I'm not a native English speaker.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Since there hasn't been any other answers can you give us a hint Sylux? I'm a bit confused since you usually call something _less, if it usually has that but not in this case. For example fatherless or sleeveless. At least as far as I know, I'm not a native English speaker.
    In the case of this riddle, the object here is "thread-less" in that the object is normally paired with thread, but in this case lacks it.

The "thread-less" object is actually a metaphor. The answer to the riddle is compared with what "thread-less" is leading up to.

Since I don't want to completely give away the answer (but do want to quit leaving you stumped), your hint will be this (forgive me for this method being a bit roundabout):

If you go to the Riddle Game in the Hall of Fame, solving my riddle will give bring you extremely close to if not directly to the answer.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    In the case of this riddle, the object here is "thread-less" in that the object is normally paired with thread, but in this case lacks it.
    The village of Needlehole?

http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/n/needlehole.html
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Another one that can answer this riddle.

Actually, I must admit I've made an error here. The correct answer I was looking for was Orthanc, as I thought I recalled it being compared a needle at one point, but I'm no longer sure of that. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Vilnas, you're up.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third

The Tower of Echthelion is compared to a needle too.

"For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle: and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great boom."
    Last edited by Elenluin-Menelloth; Nov 28 2011 at 09:50 AM.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Ok, here is the next one:

Recidivists

That is plural, so the winner must have at least two correct answers to qualify.

Ok, here is the next one:

Recidivists

That is plural, so the winner must have at least two correct answers to qualify.
    This would be pretty obvious, but, is one Melkor?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001fb4ca/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    If you like my post, please +1 reputation!

Recidivists:

1. Turin who vowed to forsake war to satisfy Niniel.
    2. Gollum who promised to be good and always protect the "master" who was Frodo.

Both of them broke their vows and went back to their either warlike or evil ways.

This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

My initial reaction was that all three proffered answers worked (Morgoth, Turin and Gollum). However, on further consideration I have decided Turin doesn't really fit. My thinking is that the word "recidivist" is very strongly associated with criminal or wicked behavior. Although it is true that Turin promised Niniel that he would give up his war-making and then went back on his promise, I don't feel that the type of conduct that Turin was returning to really fits the sense of the term recidivist. In fact, you can make the case that when Turin "retired" as a war-leader he was in fact hurting his community because of his promise to Niniel.

Consequently, with apologies to Boraxxe for being nitpicky, I am ruling that this riddle remains open. Boraxxe gets credit for Gollum and Elenluin-Menelloth gets credit for Morgoth. The next guesser (including Boraxxe and Elenluin-Menelloth) to come up with a third name wins. I have at least two more answers in mind.

What I find interesting is that Tolkien appears to have believed in the power of mercy, but in my opinion the characters in his stories who were shown lieniency all backslid into their evil ways, in almost every case with very unfortunate consequences. The exception is Gollum, but even in his situation his recidivist conduct was very nearly disastrous.

I almost want to say the race of men. not at all a perfect race, committing many crimes in their lives, but always wanting to redeem themselves.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001fb4ca/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elangr View Post
    I almost want to say the race of men. not at all a perfect race, committing many crimes in their lives, but always wanting to redeem themselves.
    Specific characters are required for this particular riddle.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Nov 28 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Specific characters are required for this particular riddle.
    fair enough. lets see if i can think of anything else...

Consequently, with apologies to Boraxxe for being nitpicky,...
    I understand your reasoning, and shall endeavor to persevere.

one could be Androg

Could it be Sauron?

My apologies for the delay in responding. I have been struggling with Androg. I can't make up my mind whether he should qualify. I promise to reach a verdict soon.

Sauron is correct. He was a two time recidivist. The first is when he was captured during the War of Wrath. Tolkien writes that at first Sauron repented in truth before falling back into evil. The second instance was when he was captured by the Numenoreans. In that case he never inwardly attempted to reform, but I do not believe that is a necessary element for recidivism as the word is generally used in our society.

If Androg works, then the winner will be Elangr. Otherwise it will be CarsontheSage.

Another acceptable answer would have been Saruman. He was "jailed" in Orthanc for his misdeeds, but after being let go by Treebeard Saruman went on to cause further mischief in the Shire.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Nov 29 2011 at 06:32 PM.

My apologies for the delay in responding. I have been struggling with Androg. I can't make up my mind whether he should qualify. I promise to reach a verdict soon.

Sauron is correct. He was a two time recidivist. The first is when he was captured during the War of Wrath. Tolkien writes that at first Sauron repented in truth before falling back into evil. The second instance was when he was captured by the Numenoreans. In that case he never inwardly attempted to reform, but I do not believe that is a necessary element for recidivism as the word is generally used in our society.

If Androg works, then the winner will be Elangr. Otherwise it will be CarsontheSage.

Another acceptable answer would have been Saruman. He was "jailed" in Orthanc for his misdeeds, but after being let go by Treebeard Saruman went on to cause further mischief in the Shire.
    take your time, ive not come up with another riddle just yet

Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast