We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2913

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Well I did find the two rhymes, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

All that glitters is not gold;
    Often have you heard that told:
    Many a man his life hath sold
    But my outside to behold:
    Gilded tombs do worms enfold.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Yes, you found the rhymes and they are the answers.
    Specifically the first line of Tolkien's would be the solution: All that is gold does not glitter. Some folks now confuse that line with Shakespeare's line. They both caution us about something, but not exactly the same thing.

Shakespeare--> All that glisters is not gold --> All that is gold does not glitter

Both lines are warnings about deception.
    Shakespeare is warning that something may give the appearance of worth, but in fact be worthless.
    Tolkien is warning that something may appear to be worthless but in fact be of great value.

Great job Elenluin-Menelloth. It's now your turn. You don't need to continue with the two-step format. It's your choice.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Thanks Boraxxe. I'm sorry, but couldn't think of a good two step type of trivia, so here's a normal one.

Sporific

I can think of two instances which can be called that, but there might be more.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    Thanks Boraxxe. I'm sorry, but couldn't think of a good two step type of trivia, so here's a normal one.

Sporific

I can think of two instances which can be called that, but there might be more.
    The forest river in Mirkwood. Bombur fell in and slept like a baby for days.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    The forest river in Mirkwood. Bombur fell in and slept like a baby for days.
    Nope, that would be soporific. The clue said sporific, which is much nastier. I am picturing something like the Morgul Vale with its deadly flowers.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Hehe sorry missed an 'O' in 'soporific' . It would be correct if we had the sort of mushrooms from ingame Foundations of Stone in the books maybe.

Correct answer Boraxxe. The other one I thought of was Luthien's sleep causing hair.
    Last edited by Elenluin-Menelloth; Jul 27 2011 at 04:25 PM.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Ok, here is a new one.

Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ok, here is a new one.

Thing
    The Watcher in the Water?

Not The Watcher.

The Nameless?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    The Nameless?
    Not The Nameless.

There is a specific reference involved here. When you get it you will know. There will be no question.

The Ring? Seems like Isildur or somebody called it "the Thing"...
    Some must fight, so that all may be free.

Not the Ring.
    The non-Tolkien Thing has a middle initial and apparently a Tolkien cousin.

I'm confused - are we looking for a Thing from Tolkien's books or from something not Tolkien related? Or somewhere in between? hehe

P.S. I'm a very late comer to this thread, but I saw at the start "fatherless" and wanted to suggest: Iarwain Ben-adar : ) One of my all time favorite Tolkien characters. Did someone already give that answer? Do you know the more common name of that character? hehe
    History became legend, and legend became myth, and some things that should not have been forgotten were lost...

Quote Originally Posted by maradakia View Post
    I'm confused - are we looking for a Thing from Tolkien's books or from something not Tolkien related? Or somewhere in between? hehe

P.S. I'm a very late comer to this thread, but I saw at the start "fatherless" and wanted to suggest: Iarwain Ben-adar : ) One of my all time favorite Tolkien characters. Did someone already give that answer? Do you know the more common name of that character? hehe
    1. Somewhere in between.
    Example: The Clue: Merry-go-round is not Tolkien based, but it leads to the situation where the riders of Rohan were circling around the three friends Strider, Legolas and Gimli. One could imagine that it was kind of like a merry-go round with the horses moving in a circle (carousel may have been a better clue, but I went with merry-go-round). In that case you had a word that described something non-Tolkien that could remind you of something Tolkien.
    This current riddle is similar.

2. Iarwain Ben-adar was given and it was the correct answer.
    From BigEyedBug:

You guys are killing me. The answer is obviously either Anakin or Dolly, both of whom are referenced by Tolkien in one of the Really Lost Tales.

I almost said Iarwain Ben-adar, but that's not actually one word. Whew, now that would have been embarrassing.
    He gave the answer, but did not understand that the answer need not be one word
    He also thru in a joke at no extra charge..

Welcome....we aim to have fun.

Thanks for the welcome : ) Enjoying these trivia and riddles threads already
    History became legend, and legend became myth, and some things that should not have been forgotten were lost...

Do you know the more common name of that character? hehe
    That would be Forn.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Actually Iarwain Ben-adar is our dear old fellow - mR. Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadilo, bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow! : )

Actually Iarwain Ben-adar is our dear old fellow - mR. Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadilo, bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow! : )
    Just so. Also known as Orald to the Men of the North and Forn to the Dwarves.

The non-JRRT reference for "Thing" that comes to mind is Ben Grimm of the Fantastic Four. At least that is the best reference I can think of that has a middle initial, per your last hint. I took your hint to point us to a person rather than an object or monster. The Thing's full name is Benjamin Jacob Grimm, although I am not aware that the middle initial ever was used. I couldn't nail down any cousin reference either.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can take the Ben Grimm angle. There are obviously several characters in Middle-earth that have "Grim" in their names (Grimbeorn, Grimbold, Aldagrim) or that were described as "grim" (Bard). None of them jump out at me as an obvious final answer, which suggests to me that I am on the wrong track.

I can't think of any rock monster men in Middle-earth either. The closest I can get would be the pukel men, but I don't think that is clear cut enough either and Ghan-buri-Ghan would be a real stretch.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Aug 01 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    The non-JRRT reference for "Thing" that comes to mind is Ben Grimm of the Fantastic Four. At least that is the best reference I can think of that has a middle initial, per your last hint. I took your hint to point us to a person rather than an object or monster. The Thing's full name is Benjamin Jacob Grimm, although I am not aware that the middle initial ever was used. I couldn't nail down any cousin reference either.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can take the Ben Grimm angle. There are obviously several characters in Middle-earth that have "Grim" in their names (Grimbeorn, Grimbold, Aldagrim) or that were described as "grim" (Bard). None of them jump out at me as an obvious final answer, which suggests to me that I am on the wrong track.
    Yes, you are on the wrong track, but at least you're on the rails.
    There is another Thing in 20th century popular culture and when it is revealed the JRRT reference should be obvious (at least to those who have read the books. Movie-only Tolkien fans will be left in the dark).

Thing - the hand, from Adam's Family : ) All of those crawling hands in game are like him... although I don't recall anything like those in the stories... was there?

Thing - the hand, from Adam's Family : ) All of those crawling hands in game are like him... although I don't recall anything like those in the stories... was there?
    Indeed there was.
    In The Fellowship Of The Ring, in the chapter, Fog on the Barrow-Downs.
    The four hobbits get separated in the fog on the downs and later Frodo wakes to see:

He heard behind his head a creaking and scraping sound. Raising himself on one arm he looked, and saw now in the pale light that they were in a kind of passage which behind them turned a corner. Round the corner a long arm was groping, walking on its fingers towards Sam, who was lying nearest, and towards the hilt of the sword that lay upon him.
    Frodo ends up attacking the crawling hand/arm with a sword and sings a song to call Tom Bombadil to rescue them.

Thing was a fictional character in the 60's TV show The Addams Family. His full name was Thing T. Thing, but usually referred to as simply Thing.

It is now your turn.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Aug 01 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Nice one Borraxe. As someone who actually watched the Addams family growing up, I am disappointed that I did not recall that particular Thing.

Okay, so I started reading through the thread to see what was already said... but it's sooooo long : P hehe So I'm going to put our one word riddle out there, and if it's been done already, just let me know please : )

The word is: Hope

Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast