We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    lol...i think an Englishman would refer to American football as football. What else would he call it?

im still shell-shocked..
    Gridiron football?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Fastoticolans (giant turtle shell?)
    Indeed, that is the shell I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia of Arda
    A monstrous creature of the Sea said to be the last of the great 'turtle-fish'. Fastitocalon was so huge that sailors could mistake his immense shell for an island, but after they landed, the monster would dive into the depths of the ocean, drowning his unfortunate passengers.
    Thats a big shell!
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Apr 22 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Gridiron football?
    That's correct, in most places (English speaking countries at least) outside the US, American football is referred to as gridiron.

Two riddles to get the ball rolling again, one easy and one that is likely impossibly hard.

Voiceless

Twilight

With the latter clue, I am not looking for answers based on "Evening". I am specifically looking for "Twilight". I say it is probably impossibly hard, but that is likely because I am just forgetting several obvious and entirely plausible alternative answers to the one I have in mind.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Voiceless: Bilbo said "wind".
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Voiceless: Bilbo said "wind".
    Correct. It was also "Toothless" and "Wingless".

Please all feel free to pose additional questions while "Twighlight" hangs out there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of the Sun and Moon, but loved starlight the best.

It seems that I have correctly answered the "riddle" riddle with the answer to one of the riddles posed by Gollum to Bilbo.

So, here's a new one:

Merry-go-round?

The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of the Sun and Moon, but loved starlight the best.
    I appreciate the response, but the answer to this one is based on a very direct linguistic connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    I appreciate the response, but the answer to this one is based on a very direct linguistic connection.
    Hmmm,

Men Of The West = Numenorians
    Men Of The Twilight = Everybody else

sindarin are the elves of twilight..

Numenorians are "High" men
    Rohirrim are the "Middle" men
    Easterlings are the "dark" men
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 85 Champ | [COLOR=Red]Aedush[/COLOR] - R4 Stalker
    [/CENTER]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Two riddles to get the ball rolling again, one easy and one that is likely impossibly hard.

Voiceless

Twilight

With the latter clue, I am not looking for answers based on "Evening". I am specifically looking for "Twilight". I say it is probably impossibly hard, but that is likely because I am just forgetting several obvious and entirely plausible alternative answers to the one I have in mind.
    Uial?

Uial is Sindarin for Twilight and appears in place names such as the Eymn Uial (Hills of Evendim) and Nenuial (Lake Evendim).

Uial = Evendim (i.e. the dim hours of the evening) = twilight
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Uial?

Uial is Sindarin for Twilight and appears in place names such as the Eymn Uial (Hills of Evendim) and Nenuial (Lake Evendim).

Uial = Evendim (i.e. the dim hours of the evening) = twilight
    Reddhawk, that is an acceptable answer, albeit not the one I had in mind. Care to try again, this time looking for a person and going Quenya instead of Sindarin?

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Reddhawk, that is an acceptable answer, albeit not the one I had in mind. Care to try again, this time looking for a person and going Quenya instead of Sindarin?
    I'll admit, this took some digging, but I have a few more guesses.

Maeglin, who was originally known as Lómion ("Child of Twilight"), which I am assuming comes either from the Quenya:
    lómë (prefix: lómi-) - night, twilight, gloom
    +
    ono - child

OR

+
    yondo (suffix: -ion) - son (son of)

Arwen Undómiel, the daughter of Elrond whose title—said to mean Evenstar—contains the Quenya word undómë, meaning "twilight (of the evening)".

Tindómiel, the daughter of Elros whose name—likely meaning either "Daughter of Twilight" or "Morningstar" as evidenced by the similar Undómiel—contains the Quenya word tindómë, meaning "twilight (of the dawn)"
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    I'll admit, this took some digging, but I have a few more guesses.

Maeglin, who was originally known as Lómion ("Child of Twilight"), which I am assuming comes either from the Quenya:
    +
    ono - child

OR

+
    yondo (suffix: -ion) - son (son of)

Arwen Undómiel, the daughter of Elrond whose title—said to mean Evenstar—contains the Quenya word undómë, meaning "twilight (of the evening)".

Tindómiel, the daughter of Elros whose name—likely meaning either "Daughter of Twilight" or "Morningstar" as evidenced by the similar Undómiel—contains the Quenya word tindómë, meaning "twilight (of the dawn)"
    Well done sir. All excellent answers. I was looking for Maeglin/Lomion. I had thought I could adequately exclude Arwen "Evenstar" with my initial qualifying remarks, but I should have expected that "twilight" would nevertheless figure in linguistically. I have to admit I can't recall ever having read about Elros' daughter to the point that I would remember her.

It seems that I have correctly answered the "riddle" riddle with the answer to one of the riddles posed by Gollum to Bilbo.

So, here's a new one:

Merry-go-round?
    Either this one has everyone stumped or it got lost in the shuffle....no guesses?

Merry-go-round?

Either this one has everyone stumped or it got lost in the shuffle....no guesses?

Merry-go-round?
    was there a may-pole at the party tree? jk

a stumper for sure.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

was there a may-pole at the party tree? jk

a stumper for sure.
    No, it is very straightforward - Meriadoc went around the long way to Crickhollow by cart with the furniture. Thus, Merry-go-round.

No, it is very straightforward - Meriadoc went around the long way to Crickhollow by cart with the furniture. Thus, Merry-go-round.
    Merry is only peripherally associated to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    No way in the world sorry.
    I'm Australian, where we tend to call our national game of Australian Rules "football", except for a couple of states where rugby is predominate and they refer to it as football. As far as I know Australia and the US are the only two countries on earth where any game other than soccer is referred to as football.
    Let me assure you 100% that no Englishman would EVER refer to any game other than what we call soccer as football, in England football is football and rugby is rugby, as simple as that.
    Hello fellow aussi, Tolkien's former school "King Edward's School, Birmingham" which boasts the longest running rugby fixture in the world states on their website that association football is not played at that school. Intrigued as to what association football was I clicked on the link and low and behold its soccer!, either way the the stone giant quote talks about tossing and catching stones and the ball being referred to as a football, rugby gridiron and AFL all refer to their balls as footballs.
    Last edited by Morthaur; Apr 26 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Merry-go-round?

Guess you need another clue:

What type of animal is typically seen on a merry-go-round?

I'd tell you what kind the one's I see have, but it'd probably be wrong...
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Merry-go-round?

Guess you need another clue:

What type of animal is typically seen on a merry-go-round?
    down here in the swamp, all i remember was metal bars...no animals

now... a carousel... has horses..

did the Rohirrim surrounding Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli south of Fangorn seem playful? oops
    [/CENTER]

down here in the swamp, all i remember was metal bars...no animals

now... a carousel... has horses..

did the Rohirrim surrounding Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli south of Fangorn seem playful? oops
    Thats it!

From The Two Towers:

'What news from the North, Riders of Rohan?'
    With astonishing speed and skill they checked their steeds, wheeled, and came charging round. Soon the three companions found themselves in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them, and drawing ever inwards.

you threw me off lol... the merry-go-rounds around here are very different from the carousels we see at Fairgrounds. Good riddle!

my turn....ughh

pig
    [/CENTER]

Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast