We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 14 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    I know it's difficult to create the riddle in demand, but we need to get the thread back to its original intent.
    Precisely the reason I've been answering, but not asking any riddles. I find it far too difficult to find a single word that uniquely describes one thing and one thing only. That being said, I do agree that is the only properly fair way of handling this sort of riddle.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Precisely the reason I've been answering, but not asking any riddles. I find it far too difficult to find a single word that uniquely describes one thing and one thing only. That being said, I do agree that is the only properly fair way of handling this sort of riddle.
    It can be difficult to come up with a one-word clue that only has one answer.
    As I notes somewhere up above, the answer need not be one word, just the clue.

Example: Calamities?

Answer: Smaug

from The Hobbit: "Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of the reality, O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities," replied Bilbo.

I doubt that you will find "Calamities" anywhere else in the cannon. This is not meant to imply that the one-word clue needs to be unique within the cannon, it is just an example of a one-word clue.

Another example from above (already used): Dirt?

Answer: The soil that Galadriel gave to Samwise.

There are probably many examples where the word "dirt" is used within the cannon, but I thought this was a clever clue. Where else did JRRT discuss dirt or soil? He may have used the word "dirt" in other places (in fact, he didn't use the word "dirt" in that particular passage), but I doubt that it was dirt that was the primary concept.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    A good reason why numbers often make good one word riddles, for example 1974?
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    A good reason why numbers often make good one word riddles, for example 1974?
    Third Age, 1974, Arthedain is conquered by Angmar.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Here's one I hope will fit the clue criteria, without being too easy...

Master?
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Apr 15 2010 at 10:06 PM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post

Master?

Tom Bombadil?
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Tom Bombadil?
    Heh, come to think of it he is a pretty masteful guy, but no. He is not the master I am looking for.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Master Frodo?

(Im probably a convert from the old longwinded trivia to the one word format and dont mind if its open ended and dificult, its stretching my brain more)
    Last edited by Morthaur; Apr 16 2010 at 01:45 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

The Master of Buckland!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    The Master of Buckland!
    look who's back

I was gonna say that! bah
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 85 Champ | [COLOR=Red]Aedush[/COLOR] - R4 Stalker
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Master Frodo?
    Sadly, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    The Master of Buckland!
    And again, unfortunately, no.

Master?
    Turin Turambar?
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Turin Turambar?
    Closer (in a way ) but still no.

Master Gamgee is another, but i doubt it. bah
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Master Gamgee is another, but i doubt it. bah
    You are right to doubt. Master Gamgee is not the master I want.

Aulë.

He is a smith and master of all crafts.

Morgoth, who claimed for himself the title of Master of Arda or Master of Fate (or something like that, I can't remember the specifics now).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Morgoth, who claimed for himself the title of Master of Arda or Master of Fate (or something like that, I can't remember the specifics now).
    That is correct. That is also why Turin was somewhat close. Morgoth was speaking to Hurin, Turin's father, and he named himself Master of the Fates of Arda.

Quite the "Master" title! In my opinion, the greatest one in middle-earth. Even if Morgoth in no way deserved it.
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Apr 16 2010 at 01:55 PM.

he was indeed the one being of real power who was always trying to master the fates of arda, even though he was just fooling himself.

I like turin, because his name itself come from the root quenya word for master
    [/CENTER]

I like turin, because his name itself come from the root quenya word for master
    I did not know that... perhaps my riddle wasn't quite as good as I hoped then

Oh well. It still works

That is correct. That is also why Turin was somewhat close. Morgoth was speaking to Hurin, Turin's father, and he named himself Master of the Fates of Arda.

Quite the "Master" title! In my opinion, the greatest one in middle-earth. Even if Morgoth in no way deserved it.
    Woot! Now I have to think of a new riddle. That may take awhile, so anyone who has something good in mind please feel free to jump in while I work on it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

ok..for now..

Shell
    [/CENTER]

The shells of the snails the Thrush on the Lonely Mountain was cracking open in The Hobbit?

Ulmo, plays upon his great horns which are made of white shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ulmo, plays upon his great horns which are made of white shell.
    anyone have a spelling for the proper name? ( i've seen two different spellings)

snails was a good guess, i had nearly forgotten those, although those would be plural..
    [/CENTER]

Page 14 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast