We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 12 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Wasn't aware of that one.
    Not what I have in mind. (this is a sir-rinthian mind trick)
    Bell Goodchild? (Wife of Hamfest Gamgee, mother of Samwise the Brave)

Alternately, could it be Belladonna Took, Bilbo's mother?
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Bell Goodchild? (Wife of Hamfest Gamgee, mother of Samwise the Brave)

Alternately, could it be Belladonna Took, Bilbo's mother?

Yes indeed, Mrs. Bell (Goodchild) Gamgee. The Gaffer's wife.

(BTW, not sure of the honorific "Mrs.". Anyone know if it is appropriate in Hobbit circles?)
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Apr 08 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

(BTW, not sure of the honorific "Mrs.". Anyone know if it is appropriate in Hobbit circles?)
    Indeed it is appropriate, as evidenced in the very opening of The Hobbit:

...the fact remained that the Tooks were not as respectable as the Bagginses, though they were undoubtedly richer.

Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs Bungo Baggins.
    The Hobbit, pg. 4, Chapter I: An Unexpected Party
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Indeed it is appropriate, as evidenced in the very opening of The Hobbit:
    Yeah, thanks Reddhawk.
    After I posed this Q I decided to do a bit of searching. Within the 5 main works (Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion) I could find only three illustrious persons that JJRT referenced as "Mrs.".

Know the other two?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Mrs Maggot is one, was Lily Cotton Mrs Cotton?
    Last edited by Morthaur; Apr 09 2010 at 01:54 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Besides the maggot, was their a Mrs. Mugwort? it's stuck in my head for some reason..
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 85 Champ | [COLOR=Red]Aedush[/COLOR] - R4 Stalker
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Mrs Maggot is one, was Lily Cotton Mrs Cotton?
    Those are them, er... they are those, er... they be they, er...U B rite!

I think I'll pose one, if you guys don't mind.

Dark?
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Dark?
    Hmmm... so many opportunities...

The place or the atmosphere where Bilbo and Gollum met: Riddles In The Dark. (The Hobbit)

The place or the atmosphere where some wraiths tried to kill some hobbits: A Knife In The Dark. (The Fellowship Of The Ring)

The condition of Moria while the Fellowship was traveling through it: A Journey In The Dark. (The Fellowship Of The Ring)

The reincarnation of the Dark Lord Sauron as Darth Vader: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Well, giving four answers to one riddle is sort of cheating, but since I am not a hobbit, cheating while playing the riddle game will not cost me my soul.

Dark?
    not its turn preciousss...

hmmm, calls to mind Ungoliant, but i guess un-light isn't the same as dark?

all the mor-'s...but that wouldn't be unique

good one!
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

So many good answers, but none are the one I want

Mine is an earlier dark.

From the Silmarillion:

But when the Valar entered into Eä they were at first astounded and at a loss, for it was as if naught was yet made which they had seen in vision, and all was but on point to begin and yet unshaped, and it was dark.

Another great answer, but still not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

From The Silmarillion: Chapter 8: Of the Darkening of Valinor

"The Light failed; but the Darkness that followed was more than loss of light. In that hour was made a Darkness that seemed not lack but a thing with being of its own: for it was indeed made by malice out of Light, and it had power to pierce the eye, and to enter heart and mind, and strangle the very will."

Dark?

"When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside."

The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 7: In the House of Tom Bombadil

"When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside."

*applauds*

Well done Reddhawk! That is the answer!

From the Silmarillion:

Quote:
    But when the Valar entered into Eä they were at first astounded and at a loss, for it was as if naught was yet made which they had seen in vision, and all was but on point to begin and yet unshaped, and it was dark.

Okay, question: exactly how did the "dark" evolve/change from this ^,
    to this v ?

from the time the valar entered into the "world" and the time morgoth did (or before he did and made it fearful), what happened? I'm not a lore-monkey when it comes to pre-light lore of Arda lol
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    Okay, question: exactly how did the "dark" evolve/change from this ^,
    to this v ?
    For starters, they made the world of Arda. When they entered into Eä, the Valar essentially entered into a universe of empty space and were dismayed to find a bleak void, rather than the visions that Ilúvatar had shown to them during their song. All that Ilúvatar did was create the physical universe—everything that was to fill it, such as the stars and planets, was left to the devising of the Valar.

So, the dark referenced in your quote is the initial dark of an empty universe. The dark spoken of by Tom Bombadil is the dark of a pure and newly formed planet. They are certainly very similar, but they denote slightly different points in time.

Dark before the stars and dark after the stars?

A new one: luminous
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Dark before the stars and dark after the stars?
    Exactly, which is why i thought you outta share some credit... but only the riddle-poser can judge the merits I suppose.
    [/CENTER]

Silmaril?

(I doubt it, but hey, its worth a shot)

hope tokens?

geez i need some caffeine..
    [/CENTER]

The pale and reeking bulbous, bloated belly of Shelob.

No replies match what im after so far!

Page 12 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast