We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2868
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Oooo I feel bad now cos that's two times you've come up with a really plausible answer and I'm going to have to knock you back again - a duet is indeed two people, but most would suggest it's male and female (just done a straw pole in my office!) which is what I had in mind.

Sorry Boraxxe!
    I certainly accept your decision, but not the definition of duet. I did a bit of searching and nowhere could I find that it referred to a male/female pairing. Student/teacher, yes, but not male/female. (Not my fault that your office is full of ignor...uh, never mind...)

Well, at least it led us to a clue.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Oooo I feel bad now cos that's two times you've come up with a really plausible answer and I'm going to have to knock you back again - a duet is indeed two people, but most would suggest it's male and female (just done a straw pole in my office!) which is what I had in mind.

Sorry Boraxxe!
    Unfortunate, because the male/female pairing eliminates my favorite duet - Sauron and Finrod Felagund. Instead I will have to go with Ent and Entwife.

Quote Originally Posted by Urias View Post
    Unfortunate, because the male/female pairing eliminates my favorite duet - Sauron and Finrod Felagund. Instead I will have to go with Ent and Entwife.
    Correct, the Ents and the Entwives singing together in Treebeard's song.

You're up.

How about this:

Phantom
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    How about this:

Phantom
    How about the ring-wraiths?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

That would be "phantoms" plural. This is a single phantom. It is also a literal phantom, so no dice with any reference to the Woodmen's description of Gollum as a ghost in the night that drinks blood.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I had noticed it was a singular clue, but thought the ringwraiths fit well and were worth a shot.

OK then, I don't have my book at the moment, but was there only a singular Barrow-wight present when Frodo awoke in the Barrow-downs?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Yes, there was a single barrow-wight. However, it was corporeal, hence not a phantom. I think that is a solid distinction (please excuse the pun), but I have a feeling I am going to regret not accepting your ringwraith solution. Think of the connotation of phantom, particularly in more common usage (e.g., outside of the context of heroic fantasy).

I think i got it!

The Two Watchers (or a singular watcher) at the 'gates' to Cirith Ungol!

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    I think i got it!

The Two Watchers (or a singular watcher) at the 'gates' to Cirith Ungol!
    Can you explain your reasoning? I am not seeing how they are phantoms. The problem with this answer is that I have already disqualified "ringwraiths" for being plural rather than singular, and I have disqualified the barrow wight for being corporeal. You have offered two malignant statues as your answer, so I am afraid for consistency that I must reject it.

Anyone care to look to the other JRRT canon texts for a possible answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Phantom
    Well, there's one occurrence that corresponds quite well to the classical meaning of the word. The phantom of Eilinel meant to entrap Gorlim, one of the twelve companions of Barahir.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Well, there's one occurrence that corresponds quite well to the classical meaning of the word. The phantom of Eilinel meant to entrap Gorlim, one of the twelve companions of Barahir.
    Exactly so. Nicely done.

Right, the next one is:

underfoot

Why, Middle-earth! The only thing everybody has under their foot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomanar View Post
    Why, Middle-earth! The only thing everybody has under their foot!
    Or even Arda as a whole. Though that begets the question as to what does Eru has under his feet since he's out of it all...

But really the answer is very simple, and quite literal.

underfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    underfoot
    kinda reminded me of a hobbit name...
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    kinda reminded me of a hobbit name...
    Wrong race.

underfoot

The Istari?

If not, the Maiar?

Or along those lines, could it be Gandalf's long journey across middle earth, putting many miles underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    The Istari?

If not, the Maiar?

Or along those lines, could it be Gandalf's long journey across middle earth, putting many miles underfoot.
    Wrong train of thought, it's rather simpler than that.

underfoot

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    underfoot:

Tom Bombadil speaking of farmer Maggot to the hobbits while at Tom's house:

. 'There's earth under his old feet, and clay on his fingers; wisdom in his bones, and both his eyes are open,' said Tom.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    underfoot:

Tom Bombadil speaking of farmer Maggot to the hobbits while at Tom's house:
    You're still thinking of the generalities like the earth. There was a much more literal occurrence...a long time ago.

underfoot

I believe Fingolfin was crushed by Morgoth's foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I believe Fingolfin was crushed by Morgoth's foot.
    There we go! An unpleasant end, but at least Fingolfin stabbed the said foot rather well.
    Your turn.

Excellent! Now I need only to decipher your enigmatic 2-word clue and I will hold all 4 sticks mwahaha .

This is a bit of a stretch for one word, so I hope no one minds: spark-light

Could it be the Fealóke?

Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 ... LastLast