We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2868
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    So a place then, if one follows the normal litany of "person, place or thing."
    Yes, that works.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Still no bites.

You must have all been hiding out from ruffians in old quarries and therefore missed that particular day's vocabulary lesson.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Doh!

Scary (as in LOTRO's quarry at Scary).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Doh!

Scary (as in LOTRO's quarry at Scary).
    Frightening, isn't it.

Ok, yer up!

BTW, that's not just a LOTRO reference. LOTR notes Scary in a couple of places.

Next one:

Defenestrated?

In this case the ? represents a small lack of certainty rather than our customary signal (a la crossword puzzles) of something wonky in the clue.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Tuor sending Maeglin flying off the walls of Gondolin?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Hrm. I will say no. I don't think there is even any small ambiguity suggesting he may have been thrown out a window.

Hrm. I will say no. I don't think there is even any small ambiguity suggesting he may have been thrown out a window.
    That is fair, but just to explain my reasoning. In the Sil the conflict is described as:
    "Tuor fought with Maeglin on the walls, and cast him far out, and his body as it fell smote the rocky slopes..."

So I thought the uncertainty might come from Maeglin being cast off of the wall and perhaps not through a proper window.

I presume you have a better answer in mind than this and that is fine.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

How about a second meaning of the word?

Saruman's defenestration by Gandalf. That was one clear example of a person being removed from a power position.

I am going with the formal definition of the word in this case - to throw out of a window.

Edit. This was Vilnas. Occasionally I don't notice when the forum logs me in under an old user name.
    Last edited by Urias; Aug 03 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Then perhaps Wormtongue heaving the palantir out of Orthanc?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Then perhaps Wormtongue heaving the palantir out of Orthanc?

Bingo. You're up.

Tallest.

Please provide some justification for your answer as there are many possible answers, but I think some are stronger than others.

Tallest.

Please provide some justification for your answer as there are many possible answers, but I think some are stronger than others.
    Taniquetil, the highest peak in Arda.

Tallest.

Taniquetil? Said to be the tallest mountain in the whole of Arda, although must admit I'm struggling to find that explicitly stated in (presumably) the Silmarillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Taniquetil, the highest peak in Arda.
    Good enough for me. The stick is yours Boraxxe.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Taniquetil? Said to be the tallest mountain in the whole of Arda, although must admit I'm struggling to find that explicitly stated in (presumably) the Silmarillion.
    Sorry Stride, Mr. Boraxxe was 1 min quicker.

Good enough for me. The stick is yours Boraxxe.

Well, here we go.
    Next riddle:

Quarter

Curses!

Well, here we go.
    Next riddle:

Quarter
    The mercy shown by Bilbo to Gollum? As in the opposite of "no quarter."

Quote Originally Posted by Urias View Post
    The mercy shown by Bilbo to Gollum? As in the opposite of "no quarter."
    Nope. That's not it. (and I see you hiding there Vilnas)

Well, here we go.
    Next riddle:

Quarter
    The four farthings of the Shire?

The four farthings of the Shire?
    Thats it. A farthing is a quarter of a penny and also a land division (in The Shire anyway).
    Yer up Stride!

Thats it. A farthing is a quarter of a penny and also a land division (in The Shire anyway).
    Yer up Stride!
    Woot! Just need the solve the three-word one and I'll be holding all the riddle sticks - bwaa ha ha!

Anyone, before my megalomania gets the better of me, here's the next one:

duet

Woot! Just need the solve the three-word one and I'll be holding all the riddle sticks - bwaa ha ha!

Anyone, before my megalomania gets the better of me, here's the next one:

duet
    Merry and Pippin singing together in Crickhollow on the evening they spilled the beans to Frodo about their conspiracy.

From The Fellowship Of The Ring, Chapter 5: A Conspiracy Unmasked:

'Good! That's settled. Three cheers for Captain Frodo and company!' they shouted; and they danced round him. Merry and Pippin began a song, which they had apparently got ready for the occasion.
    It was made on the model of the dwarf-song that started Bilbo on his adventure long ago, and went to the same tune:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
    Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
    We must away ere break of day
    Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
    In glades beneath the misty fell,
    Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
    And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
    Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
    Until at last our toil be passed,
    Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
    We ride before the break of day!

Merry and Pippin singing together in Crickhollow on the evening they spilled the beans to Frodo about their conspiracy.

From The Fellowship Of The Ring, Chapter 5: A Conspiracy Unmasked:
    Oooo I feel bad now cos that's two times you've come up with a really plausible answer and I'm going to have to knock you back again - a duet is indeed two people, but most would suggest it's male and female (just done a straw pole in my office!) which is what I had in mind.

Sorry Boraxxe!

Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 112 ... LastLast