We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 100 of 115 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2868
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Policeman
    A lot of ways to take this one...

I will try: Policeman -> The Village People -> Bree-landers (I believe Bree was referred to as a village in the books).
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Assuming answers from Stride and myself are erroneous, methinks a hint may be in order?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

In light of the extended (worrisome) absence of Boraxxe, who has been such a stalwart in this subforum for the past 7 years, we have reached an impasse in this thread. In contrast to the Three Word Trivia thread, where Boraxxe was the stick holder but had not posted a riddle, we have here an outstanding riddle with two answers proferred but no answer from Boraxxe. By the authority vested in me of absolutely no good reason (other than having been answering these silly riddles for 7 years), I am going to declare rulings on the solutions proposed by StrideColossus and Wilros.

I believe that it is clearly established in the Silmarillion that the ents were created by Yavanna to be the guardians of the kelvar (animals) and olvar (plants) against the external threat of the Children of Illuvatar (and the creations Aule), whom she perceived would kill/harvest the kelvar and olvar for their own consumption/use. The function of the police, in my view, connotes a body that protects the citizens of a society from other members of the society who break the rules. Because the ents protect the forest from external threats rather than internal ones, I believe they are more akin to a militia than to a police force, although I don't think that is really the proper simile either.

I don't know whether Boraxxe would have accepted the Bree-landers as an answer, but I feel that there are sufficient logical connections there (however tenuous) to award Wilros the stick.

I hope Boraxxe is ok and returns soon.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I also hope Boraxxe is OK and wish him well.

I was thinking to jumpstart these dead threads as you have done Vilnas, but it is a really busy time at work and so I didn't get around to it. Now that you have nominated me to continue this thread however, I will have to give a try.

Next riddle: Delving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I also hope Boraxxe is OK and wish him well.

I was thinking to jumpstart these dead threads as you have done Vilnas, but it is a really busy time at work and so I didn't get around to it. Now that you have nominated me to continue this thread however, I will have to give a try.

Next riddle: Delving.
    Several things popped into my mind at once with this one so...

1. Michel (or however you spell that) Delving, the town in the Shire

2. The homes of Hobbits, Dwarves or Goblins as each requires the act of Delving, and thus are delvings.

3. Specifically Moria, as the Dwarves delved too deep there

Quote Originally Posted by ajax6893 View Post

2. The homes of Hobbits, Dwarves or Goblins as each requires the act of Delving, and thus are delvings.

String or nothing. Precious gets only one guess at a time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Ah, perhaps I should have read the rules better (that has been happening a lot lately).

I'm going to go with Michel Delving
    Last moanains siimsalit din alevon im: Though we are parted, my love will be with you.

Ah, perhaps I should have read the rules better (that has been happening a lot lately).

I'm going to go with Michel Delving
    I will go with Vilnas' criteria and say that there is a superior answer available.

Since it's been over a week with no more guesses, and I don't know that I can give a hint as it is already a fairly easy riddle, I will make an executive decision to accept your 3rd answer: Moria aka Dwarrowdelf which means Dwarven Delving. There are other answers I would have accepted as well.

The riddle stick is yours Ajax.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    It's been a week without a riddle... Anyone gonna post one?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    It's been a week without a riddle... Anyone gonna post one?
    I'll post a (hopefully) easy one I've had in my little head for some time to try and keep the thread going: fractured

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    I'll post a (hopefully) easy one I've had in my little head for some time to try and keep the thread going: fractured
    Moria Second hall bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Moria Second hall bridge?
    Plausible but no. The answer is a character in LOTR.

Plausible but no. The answer is a character in LOTR.
    Gollum maybe?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Gollum maybe?
    Nope, though the correct race.

Frodo...He was fractured (or broken) by the Ring at the end until Gollum bit his finger (with the Ring) off.

Maybe Denethor?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Théoden?

Is it a person?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    Frodo...He was fractured (or broken) by the Ring at the end until Gollum bit his finger (with the Ring) off.
    Sorry nope.

Maybe Denethor?
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Théoden?

Is it a person?
    No and no. I've said that the answer is a person from LOTR, and also hinted that the Gollum was of the correct race.

He he I hadn't expected this one to be so tricky Another clue: think of a synonym for fractured.

Sorry nope.

No and no. I've said that the answer is a person from LOTR, and also hinted that the Gollum was of the correct race.

He he I hadn't expected this one to be so tricky Another clue: think of a synonym for fractured.
    'Oh they're both cracked,' said Ted 'Leastways old Bilbo was cracked, and Frodo's cracking.'
    Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter Two

'Oh they're both cracked,' said Ted 'Leastways old Bilbo was cracked, and Frodo's cracking.'
    Ta-da! Your up.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Ta-da! Your up.
    Hey, c_the_awesome, it's your turn.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Incidentally I'm generating a base of trivia questions for LOTROcon. Submit yours at: Swig and Trivia.

I'd appreciate all the help we can get.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

Hmm ok um.

underdog

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Hmm ok um.

underdog
    Ringbearer!

"Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Page 100 of 115 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast