We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 2929
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harper_of_Gondolin View Post
    We have a winner. It took me longer to think of the riddle, than it took you to solve it, arrrgh ...

You should be congratulated for an excellent extraction from memory!

It's your turn, now.

HoG
    I think I have been doing these riddles too long.
    But I shall endeavor to persevere....

I will now submit a sort of repeat.
    It's a repeat in the sense that it has the same answer as a previous submission, but this time I will provide a different starting clue.

carousel

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I think I have been doing these riddles too long.
    But I shall endeavor to persevere....

I will now submit a sort of repeat.
    It's a repeat in the sense that it has the same answer as a previous submission, but this time I will provide a different starting clue.

carousel
    OK, a hint: this involves horses (rather obvious I guess, but...).

This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

I will go with the first thought that came to mind. I have not yet checked the reference, so I am going with memory: when the Noldorin horsed archers circled Glaurung.

Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    I will go with the first thought that came to mind. I have not yet checked the reference, so I am going with memory: when the Noldorin horsed archers circled Glaurung.
    Ah, I did not remember that passage. Here is a quote from The Silmarillion:
    Again after a hundred years Glaurung, the first of the Urulóki, the fire-drakes of the North, issued from Angband’s gates by night. He was yet young and scarce half-grown, for long and slow is the life of the dragons, but the Elves fled before him to Ered Wethrin and Dorthonion in dismay; and he defiled the fields of Ard-galen. Then Fingon prince of Hithlum rode against him with archers on horseback, and hemmed him round with a ring of swift riders; and Glaurung could not endure their darts, being not yet come to his full armoury, and he fled back to Angband, and came not forth again for many years.
    And here is a quote from The Two Towers:
    ‘What news from the North, Riders of Rohan?’ With astonishing speed and skill they checked their steeds, wheeled, and came charging round. Soon the three companions found themselves in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them, and drawing ever inwards.
    My intended answer was the quote from The Two Towers. However, your answer from The Silmarillion is so appropriate that I will pass the riddle stick on.

Grats! Yer up Erennor!

I thank you Boraxe, but I freely and with good will I want to pass this on back to you, or if you are unwilling, then to anyone else. I do not scorn your kindly gesture but if I were to continue would do so with half a heart and mind, since I did not guess the chosen answer to the riddle and the same treatment we have seen with many previous riddles that have more than one fitting answer.

I do not mind. Truly. Feel free to choose again-or someone else.

I thank you Boraxe, but I freely and with good will I want to pass this on back to you, or if you are unwilling, then to anyone else. I do not scorn your kindly gesture but if I were to continue would do so with half a heart and mind, since I did not guess the chosen answer to the riddle and the same treatment we have seen with many previous riddles that have more than one fitting answer.

I do not mind. Truly. Feel free to choose again-or someone else.
    You are not getting off so easy Erennor... grin.
    Actually, the (not-so-often-enforced) standard has been to award the riddle stick when the given answer is close enough so as to be swap-able with the intended answer.

After reading the "Glaurung" passage and the "Rhoririm" passage in close time proximity, they both conjure up an image of a carousel or merry-go-round.
    By the way,"merry-go-round" was what I used for the clue the first time around.
    There really can be no distinction between the two answers. If fact, one could postulate that the professor so liked the mental image that the original Silmarillion passage created that he recreated it when he wrote the Two Towers passage many decades later. He did something like that in several instances.

So, you are stuck. The one-word clue is now your responsibility and you can't get out of it.

I am Boraxxe. I have spoken. (grin again)

All right; though I feel that you Boraxxe, or if not you someone else, should put up the riddle. I truly do and not merely say this out of courtesy. But thank you still.

Here is what came to mind:

Spellbound

Spellbound
    Turin Turambar, in the ruins of Norgothrond, was captivated by the dragon Glaurung's powerful gaze and therefore spellbound and stood helpless, unable to aid Finduilas as she was dragged away by orcs.

It is not that, but we see this moment the riddle refers to in the Silmarillion, aye!

Thingol (Elwe) came upon Melian singing in the woods of Nan Elmoth. They held hands and then stood enchanted for years.

Well done. That is the one.

Elwë, lord of the Teleri, went often through the great woods to seek out Finwë his friend in the dwellings of the Noldor; and it chanced on a time that he came alone to the starlit wood of Nan Elmoth, and there suddenly he heard the song of nightingales. Then an enchantment fell on him, and he stood still; and afar off beyond the voices of the lómelindi he heard the voice of Melian, and it filled all his heart with wonder and desire. He forgot then utterly all his people and all the purposes of his mind, and following the birds under the shadow of the trees he passed deep into Nan Elmoth and was lost. But he came at last to a glade open to the stars, and there Melian stood; and out of the darkness he looked at her, and the light of Aman was in her face. She spoke no word; but being filled with love Elwë came to her and took her hand, and straightway a spell was laid on him, so that they stood thus while long years were measured by the wheeling stars above them; and the trees of Nan Elmoth grew tall and dark before they spoke any word.

Ok, here's the next one-word clue.
    It's a sort of made up compound word, but hey, if Shakespeare can do it so can I.

toadsalt

So, no one can figure out toadsalt?

I really need to drop a hint?

So, no one can figure out toadsalt?

I really need to drop a hint?
    Frogmorton?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrianne365 View Post
    Frogmorton?
    Grats!

You are up!

Ok, what to choose....
    I got it!

Dew

Ok, what to choose....
    I got it!

Dew
    Still no one? It is not that hard.. I hope

Dew:

The two Trees created by Yavanna after the two Lamps (Illuin and Ormal) were destroyed by Melkor. Telperion had dark leaves (silver on one side) and his silvery dew was collected as a source of water and of light. Laurelin had gold-trimmed leaves and her dew was likewise collected by Varda.
    So, "dew" is the light created by the two original sacred trees.

Dew:

The two Trees created by Yavanna after the two Lamps (Illuin and Ormal) were destroyed by Melkor. Telperion had dark leaves (silver on one side) and his silvery dew was collected as a source of water and of light. Laurelin had gold-trimmed leaves and her dew was likewise collected by Varda.
    So, "dew" is the light created by the two original sacred trees.
    Yes, you are right But are you not supposed to write just one world?

Yes, you are right But are you not supposed to write just one world?
    Only one word for the clue, but no limit on the number of words for the answer.

Nice job!

I will have a new clue later this morning.

OK, next one:

crickets

Only one word for the clue, but no limit on the number of words for the answer.

Nice job!

I will have a new clue later this morning.
    Aha I missed that one Then your answer is completely right.

Yeah....an experiment.
    One word with a question mark should lead to only one answer.
    I'll start.

Fatherless?

Edit:

Rule #1: Subject matter is limited to JRR Tolkien's major canon works;

The Silmarillion
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadill
    The Children Of Hurin

(No movies, Radio or Lotro)
    Tom Bombadil is Fatherless! Durin is the 'Deathless' (in reference to another reply).

OK, next one:

crickets
    I can't believe a hint is needed for this one. I will wait a bit longer (heck it's been 5 months already, what a few more?)

I can't believe a hint is needed for this one. I will wait a bit longer (heck it's been 5 months already, what a few more?)
    Neekerbreekers?

Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast