We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2870
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Okay, that's two I owe. I'm thinking.
    Yes, by my count you are currently in control of all 3 trivia threads. Some impressive riddling!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Yes, by my count you are currently in control of all 3 trivia threads. Some impressive riddling!
    Oh dear, I was thinking only two, if three I better get in gear. I'll try to have something later this evening it's 1:30 here, so hopefully by 8PM will post new riddles.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Cool

the clue is; Autumn
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

the clue is; Autumn
    Americans refer to Autumn as The Fall, so maybe the Downfall of Numenor?

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Americans refer to Autumn as The Fall, so maybe the Downfall of Numenor?
    No sir. What falls in the Autumn season? (that's a hint).
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Oct 20 2013 at 01:24 PM.

No sir. What falls in the Autumn season? (that's a hint).
    So Stride's guess, downfall of Numenor, was not a bad guess. It was just not a correct guess.
    One word riddles are necessarily broad and require deeper riddling than one w/ more words. It could be something abstractly metaphorical (like the waning or downfall of some kingdom or society) or something more concrete (less abstract).
    What is the primary image conjured in most peoples minds,do you suppose, upon hearing, or indeed upon reading, the word Autumn?

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    I need to take a break from these riddles....

Oh well, here goes.

Lothlorien, The Golden Wood
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I need to take a break from these riddles....
    Lothlorien, The Golden Wood
    Ah, the falling leaves of Lorien. Wait, could that be it? Once again you are very near my friend.

Your request for a respite from riddles has been duly considered and after much careful deliberation We regret to inform you that your request may not be granted at this time. You must dig deep and find a bigger set of riddling nards and stand your station fast. You will be relieved at the earliest possible opportunity.
    The Riddling High Council has spoken. So let it be written. So let it be done.

P.S. coming up with good one word riddles is a bear, as you are, I'm sure, well aware.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Oct 21 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling. I hate when I do that.

Ah, the falling leaves of Lorien. Wait, could that be it? One again you are very near my friend.

Your request for a respite from riddles has been duly considered and after much careful deliberation We regret to inform you that your request may not be granted at this time. You must dig deep and find a bigger set of riddling nards and stand your station fast. You will be relieved at the earliest possible opportunity.
    The Riddling High Council has spoken. So let it be written. So let it be done.

P.S. coming up with good one word riddles is a bear, as you are, I'm sure, well aware.
    hmm. Nenya leaving Middle-Earth? not sure if it was during the autumn but...

EDIT: I mean. When lady Galadriel still lived in Lórien, the leaves falled in the spring and not in the autumn. Could it be about Greenwood --> Mirkwood?
    (Multiple guesses I know, but I think this guess might be better.)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    hmm. Nenya leaving Middle-Earth? not sure if it was during the autumn but...

EDIT: I mean. When lady Galadriel still lived in Lórien, the leaves falled in the spring and not in the autumn. Could it be about Greenwood --> Mirkwood?
    (Multiple guesses I know, but I think this guess might be better.)
    Negative Eddie, but how astute of you to recall that the mallyrn shed their leaves in the spring when new leaves were ready to bud, much like Texas live-oaks. That's a definite negative on Mirkwood. Boraxxe was much nearer the mark with his guess of Lothlorien.
    A further hint ('cause...I'm magnanimous like dat): the event to which this clue applies was described in LotR.

Aragorn discovering Pippin's brooch and proclaiming, "Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall."
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Pippin, captured and being carried by orcs, managed to get his elven brooch unclasped and dropped it to the ground as the orc patrol ran on.

Aragorn, after spying the brooch on the ground, commented to the other 2 hunters, "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall".

Edit: ack, outpaced by Wilros.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

So many things come to mind with this clue! If not the leaves of Lorien falling and not the Golden Wood itself, could it imply a more arcane sense of the word? The decline of the Elves' dominion of Middle Earth, the "autumn" of their people. Rivendell comes to mind as it was in its setting Tolkien began to describe and impress upon this air of Elven mourning when Frodo (in the autumn of his youth no less, having turned 33 and thus reached adulthood a month before on Sept. 22 - often the first day of Autumn!) and his companions arrived for the first time on Oct. 20, autumn of TA 3018 (I think...)
    Last edited by Annorwen; Oct 21 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Cool

Aragorn discovering Pippin's brooch and proclaiming, "Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall."
    Ah yes, Wilros, that is indeed the answer I was going for. Pippin cast away the broach which was fashioned after a mallorn leaf to serve as the clasp on the cloaks of Lothlorien given to all the members of the fellowship. And I was wondering if I was going to have to say "not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." He beat ya to the punch Boraxxe.
    Hit us with the riddle stick Wilros.

Stupendous! I will be back with a riddle tomorrow...

Stupendous! I will be back with a riddle tomorrow...
    Apologies for the delay - had a horrible case of the flu yesterday but all seems to be well so far today (crossing fingers!).

Next riddle: Rage

Apologies for the delay - had a horrible case of the flu yesterday but all seems to be well so far today (crossing fingers!).

Next riddle: Rage
    Not that I believe this to be the right answer but one must start somewhere, so I'll guess Aranruth, which was the name of Thingol's sword; the only weapon Beleg was not allowed to select in all the King's armory, when he undertook to go and safeguard Turin at the behest of Thingol and Melian. It means King's wrath (rage, ire, anger, acrimony).

Not that I believe this to be the right answer but one must start somewhere, so I'll guess Aranruth, which was the name of Thingol's sword; the only weapon Beleg was not allowed to select in all the King's armory, when he undertook to go and safeguard Turin at the behest of Thingol and Melian. It means King's wrath (rage, ire, anger, acrimony).
    A good answer, and unfortunately my riddle is a bit vague and could likely fit a few answers instead of only 1 unique answer, but I think the one I have in mind stands out more than most, so I'll say no for now...

A good answer, and unfortunately my riddle is a bit vague and could likely fit a few answers instead of only 1 unique answer, but I think the one I have in mind stands out more than most, so I'll say no for now...
    I understand, so how about; "...Then anger surged over him, and he ran about his master's body in a
    rage, stabbing the air, and smiting the stones, and shouting challenges..."

how 'bout this?: Smaug's rage was the kind which "is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy lose something they have long had but never before used or wanted."

how 'bout this?: Smaug's rage was the kind which "is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy lose something they have long had but never before used or wanted."
    Oh, that's a good one.

I understand, so how about; "...Then anger surged over him, and he ran about his master's body in a
    rage, stabbing the air, and smiting the stones, and shouting challenges..."
    Oh dear, I didn't feel that good about this riddle when I posted it, but now all of the excellent answers are making me feel much worse about it! I'll specify a bit further: the example I am looking for comes in the 1st Age. With that hint, I think my preferred answer stands out a bit more (I hope...).

Oh dear, I didn't feel that good about this riddle when I posted it, but now all of the excellent answers are making me feel much worse about it! I'll specify a bit further: the example I am looking for comes in the 1st Age. With that hint, I think my preferred answer stands out a bit more (I hope...).
    Okay how about Gwindor (or was it Gildor?) the elf of Nargothrond jumping the gun, so to speak, and charging the hosts of Angband in a fit of rage after watching them murder his brother and then defile his corpse?

Okay how about Gwindor (or was it Gildor?) the elf of Nargothrond jumping the gun, so to speak, and charging the hosts of Angband in a fit of rage after watching them murder his brother and then defile his corpse?
    This one is fairly close to the mark, but instead at the beginning of a battle...

My best guess is Fingolfin at the end of the Dagor Braggolach, the despair and fury that inspires him to ride to Angband alone and challenge Morgoth to single combat.

Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 ... LastLast