We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Checking in: lvl 42 and climbing!

Hi all, thought I would give a "state of the captain" address for my fun little side-project (leveling my captain). I gotta say, more than any other class I have played, the more you level a captain, the more fun it becomes.

Just finished up Crannog's Challenges in Aughaire and geared up my cappy in Fem armour. Couple that with the really nice lvl 41 2h sword I critted with an adamant shard, I am sitting real pretty as I get ready to head into Eregion and Moria before too long.

Skirmishes have just been a BLAST. If there is anything better than solo skirmishing on a captain with a warrior, I don't know what it is. I have so many skirmish marks, I probably won't have to drag my kinnies into CD to get a slime (or maybe I will just because, lol).

However, the story I really wanted to tell was about an instance I ran that let me really see what it is like to be a "real" captain. I had just turned 41 and had Thief Taker's Bane as one of my last lingering quests in Evendim. I decided to pug it. I was able to pick up a hunter and a minstrel, a little thin, but enough to get the rangers the help they needed.

So, I stationed the other two at the two far camps and stayed in the middle. I figured I could run out and help either in a pinch. Good thing! They picked on the poor minstrel terribly (he was the lowest level of the grp by 3 levels), but there was this one point where the minny was getting hit really hard...I hit my run boost, tossed him a last second life saving heal, shouted and hit his two attackers, got the threat, saved the day!

It was when I brought my teammate from the brink of defeat to victory that I knew I had arrived as a captain. I have played LOTRO for almost 2 years, and I consider that one of my best moments.

Re: Checking in: lvl 42 and climbing!

awesome; thats what i like to hear!

these moments are what does it for me, too. I love playing "gap-filler" picking up whatever slack the group is giving up. i also love playing the support role.

of all the MMOs ive ever played LOTRO's Captain is the best fit for me of any pre-made class.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

*grins* You passed your test.

Mine was with the goblin leader in Lone Lands (old days)--that was a horrendous area with the respawns coming fast. Most of the group is down, someone shouts "Save the minstrel!" I didn't have In Harms Way yet, but I did Last Stand and kept slogging at goblins while the minstrel healed herself. The goblins stopped coming, and we were both still standing.

I think every captain has one of those moments.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Wow, thanks guys!

Had a good night last night on my cappy as well:

lvled to 43

Got 11/12 Misty Mountain pages (for 23/24 overall)

Got Oathbreakers! (Got to use it for the first time, go little ghosty guys!)

Finally popped deed for man-heal!

Can't ask for much better in one night of play. Now jsut gotta get that last page so my rezzes aren't hax in grp play, lol.

Well, I am 46 (almost 47), and still running strong! I ran out and got my class quest items and LIs ASAP when I hit 45. Only had to use skirmish marks for badge of command, kinnies were nice enough to run me through Cd for slime and we had another piece from an old kin run. (We used to run Uru/CD almost weekly to stockpile class quest items for kinnies.)

By Kahless' beard do I love skirmishing on my cappy! I ran 2-3 skirmishes right after I got my LI Halberd and had it to lvl 10 in a snap. The only bad thing is, I got too many good legacies on it, rofl! Telling Mark damage, Pressing attack targets, Attack Power cost, not to mention Motivation buff...I might be the first person to use a scroll of delving on a beginner LI!

Another thing I have been doing is taking advantage of being able to complete book quests solo. There are so many of them I never did on my mains...it's almost like playing a new game. I had to lol when soloing 7.8, after I buffed I was over 15k morale with Inspired Greatness. Even my herald was over 10k.

Oh, and I had another "captain" moment. I was actually just up at the bitter stair farming for my last page (which I did eventually get...yay me!), when this minstrel and RK show up. We teamed up and blasted a few Hillmen, and it wasn't long before I get this tell from the minny, "Thanks for teaming up with us...this is going SO much better with you in the group."

Ain't it fun making people feel uber?

thanks for the update! they make me smile!

speaking of minstrels and "captain moments," wait until the first time the minstrel runs war-speech because you heal so much.
    or when you see the minstrel get compliments on the awesome healing and then they send you a tell thanking you for your help (most people, besides the healers, do not realize how much healing we do.)

both generic captain moments youre bound to experience
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    thanks for the update! they make me smile!

speaking of minstrels and "captain moments," wait until the first time the minstrel runs war-speech because you heal so much.
    or when you see the minstrel get compliments on the awesome healing and then they send you a tell thanking you for your help (most people, besides the healers, do not realize how much healing we do.)

both generic captain moments youre bound to experience
    My wife was our "kin healer" for quite some time. Since I am "group/raid leader" in the kin, she would always subtly imply that a captain might be useful for the group, rofl.

Well, vacation and sinus infection notwithstanding, my captain is now level 50. What a fun level. I made a bunch of uber old school Beryl Shard gear for him and have been working on Vol I books to take these levels nice and slow. Ever since Moria, I have had teh tendency to fly into Eregion and powerlevel through Moria, but I am actually taking the time to do some of the "little" things on this guy.

IDOME is so sick, I just love it. It's like being a superhero. I can't believe there are some ppl that feel IDOME isn't worth it...it's just so uber.

Smile Re: Checking in: lvl 42 and climbing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    I think every captain has one of those moments.
    Fortunately, there are several.

Last week in BG, trash between bosses #1 and #2. Bad pull from that room with the stealth warg, armours and sorc. Raid started wiping, warg is around ~7k morale, all dps'ers dead but the champion (who I had as shield-brother) - problem is he has only 1k morale left (~1 hit from the warg). If he dies, the warg lives, we have to do the whole pull again. Shield of Dúnedain + In Harm's Way (no LS because I was full morale) + WoC + Inspire, warg dies. We wipe of course, but no warg for the 2nd time.

Yesterday in BG, the same bad pull, this time everyone dies but me (I had to run downstairs to place an eye), warg comes after me with ~2k, someone screams "kill the warg", popped my 25 sec Last Stand, killed the warg, died (inside the pool from the eye, meh).

I love being a captain in these o-s**t moments!
    Last edited by Turimbar; Mar 30 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: mispelled BG
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001307b6/01003/signature.png]Turimborn[/charsig]
    [i]If you found this post useful, please add rep to the poster by clicking on the star icon in the bottom left corner of this message (you have to be logged in to do so).[/i]

I had one this morning. I am 45, running in Donnival, in Angmar trying to complete a quest chain. Blocking a very skinny door, a lvl 45 Elite named Trolled. I rebuff, remove my banner and take out my dwarf herald of hope just to give me an escape if needed.

I pulled him and from around the corner 2 blue conned adds join the fray. I work the two blues to get the out as quick as I can an get a few extra buffs and HoT working. I survived, used a healing and power potion and ended up throwing Last Stand on at the end since I was sitting around 250 morale points....just to be safe!

That is one of the great enjoyments in playing a Captain for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000142521/01003/signature.png]Khelbryt[/charsig]

Update:

Currently level 52...trying my best to finish Vol I before I completely outlevel the content. Got my first ever Elrond Cloak, lol!

Had another great "Captain Moment". I went into Fornost with 2 kinnies and a recruit (Guardian, Warden, Minstrel). They were all on level for Fornost (36-41) and I was 51. Even though we were undermanned, we were stomping the place really hard.

Well, we were in one of the rougher areas, lots of orcs and wargs clumped up. The pull as it stood had us outnumbered, then THREE more guys pathed in. I only remember the conversation going like this:

Guard-Oh ****, we have adds.

Me-Don't worry.

One "In Harms Way/Last Stand" later, we were standing victorious over the mobs, all of us nearly full health. Qaplah!

Qaplah! Duoed School and Library with a 65 hunter (at level 52)! What a great coupla runs!

Keep having fun!
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Well, like I said in my other post, had a chance to run CD with my cappy.

Went in with me at 53, 65 Warden, 65 Hunter, 65 burg, and 55 RK. We were a "little" op, but not too bad.

However, the green water in Helchgam treats all fools equally! But how great does it feel when you can see someone just drop and then say, "Hold on a sec...there ya go!" Captain FTR! (for the rez, lol)

Now I just need some silver coins so I can get my cool Helchgam helm

OK, it's been a little while since my last update, so here we go!

I have been having some great Moria runs. Been in for both sides of Skumfil, Grand Stairs, and helped out in 16th Hall. We absolutely eradicated GS with a champ tank 2 cappy team. Even the rks weren't pulling off of him.

The funniest had to be 16th Hall, though. It was a case where I had my guard the whoel run, and my kinnie had his cappy. Well, we decided for the last boss to bring my cappy in, too, for the extra heals. Well, Cappy #1 started kiting the boss, but the bugs peeled to minny, so I started following behind Cappy #1 spamming heals so between the two of us were were kiting EVERY mob in the place. It was hilarious.

Oh, and for all the nay-sayers about captain DPS...I just want to get my hands on the drugs they are doing, because they are SO high. Look at my build:

http://my.lotro.com/character/firefoot/kalhess/

This is my "solo" build (3blue/4red, traited for self heal, crits, etc.), I am still in predominantly level 50 gear (I don't know why the Beryl Jewelry isn't showing correctly, but oh well), and I am mowing through mobs. I can hit crits of 900-1050 on DB pretty regularly, too (cuz, ya know, caps don't have burst dps :rollseyes.

However, what I am really looking forward to is level 60. I lucked out so bad and crafted like an IDEAL 2nd Age captain Symbol, and on the same day someone had a virtually ideal crafted 2nd age halberd on Trade channel...I got it for like 2.5g...what a steal! The halberd I have now is nice for it's max DPS, but the legacies on it are gonna make a swell buff-stick.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaHawk View Post
    This is my "solo" build (3blue/4red, traited for self heal, crits, etc.), I am still in predominantly level 50 gear (I don't know why the Beryl Jewelry isn't showing correctly, but oh well), and I am mowing through mobs. I can hit crits of 900-1050 on DB pretty regularly, too (cuz, ya know, caps don't have burst dps :rollseyes.
    When you _used_ to crit a DB for 4k, a 1k hit doesnt seem too special......
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by YvainBlakhart View Post
    When you _used_ to crit a DB for 4k, a 1k hit doesnt seem too special......
    Right, and before the DPS was rebalanced some guy posted a screenshot of like a 20k+ heartseeker. Are Hunters now not a viable option as a DPS class because they can't hit HS for 20k any more? More importantly, are you less able to make things dead now? Let me tell you what I observe:

-I go into Moria

-I fight things

-I stand victorious over a crowd of dead bodies

-I am able to solo things (pulls gone bad) that most likely would have killed my other toons (Champ, Guard, RK, Burg, Mins)

All of this on a Captain with an LI that has non ideal legacies and lvl 50 gear. I haven't parsed the dps yet, but I have a good opportunity in Forgotten Treasury Tuesday night!

Seriously, can't you guys get over being butthurt about 4k DBs? Does it really distract from your gameplay SSSSOOOOOOOOOO much that you don't see absurdly enormous numbers popping up infrequently on the screen? Do you even pay any attention to how effective you are in combat, or are you so hung up on looking for ONE BIG number that all of your success is nullified?

Heh, I guess the whiners are gonna whine, though. All I know is, I am tearing Moria up. This is by far and away the easiest I have had it in here. I have yet to find a pull that I cannot impose my captain's will on. It's great and I am loving it.

18. Re: Checking in: lvl 42 and climbing!

Look, I basically agree with you: I don't think that dps has been nerfed badly and I do think that captains are an incredibly powerful class, solo or grouped. That said, I do miss my big crits: they were one of the joys of the class right up to Mirkwood and made solo captain viable on the Moors. I would be very happy if we could see them again, even if it was only through going heavy in our red line.

Are they necessary for successful gameplay? Nope
    Are captains broke without them? Nope
    Were they traditionally one of the joys of captaining and does their absence lessen my overall experience? Yes and, in small ways at least, yes again.
    Are captains uber regardless of whether they have the big crits or not? Big yes.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    Look, I basically agree with you: I don't think that dps has been nerfed badly and I do think that captains are an incredibly powerful class, solo or grouped. That said, I do miss my big crits: they were one of the joys of the class right up to Mirkwood and made solo captain viable on the Moors. I would be very happy if we could see them again, even if it was only through going heavy in our red line.

Are they necessary for successful gameplay? Nope
    Are captains broke without them? Nope
    Were they traditionally one of the joys of captaining and does their absence lessen my overall experience? Yes and, in small ways at least, yes again.
    Are captains uber regardless of whether they have the big crits or not? Big yes.
    Well, I basically agree with you, too. I never "used to" hit 4ks with my cappy, so I don't miss it I guess. Ultimately, this is just an extension of an argument I had with some fellow champions regarding DPS. So many of the champs get caught up in "big numbers=more dps" when I try to explain "more dps=more dps", lol.

Quite frankly, if my captain started hitting that hard at this point, I would honestly feel like he is out of balance. Captains are like superheroes in this game, it is just ridiculous. Even though I honour and respect the traditional captains in this game, Superman don't need Green Lantern's ring on top of everything else.

Don't give me look at my awesome burst damage - when it's not burst damage and it's not awesome. Don't get me wrong, my captain is my main, and I'll stack my 4 months of ./played time on him against anyone, but you'll never convince me that as a class we haven't been getting the short end of it for a long time.

It has been shown here in the forums that the squeaky wheel gets the Development, captains as a group sit around and take it meekly. Hey - my survivability is good - doesnt matter that I don't hit very hard. Hey I can't heal for squat, but its ok cuz I can still dps while healing. Why should I even care if I dps or heal the real reason I exist is to buff the group and go on /follow? When they decide to nerf Telling Mark or Oathbreakers I expect you guys will just roll over and say "yah those _were_ too good - they shoulda been nerfed a long time ago, but fortunately they gave us that awesome buff of 100icmr to our shield bro so its all good."

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000099a14/01003/signature.png]Yvain[/charsig]

Don't give me look at my awesome burst damage - when it's not burst damage and it's not awesome. Don't get me wrong, my captain is my main, and I'll stack my 4 months of ./played time on him against anyone, but you'll never convince me that as a class we haven't been getting the short end of it for a long time.
    If there is anything worse than a butthurt captain on a waaaaahmbulance, I am not sure I know what it is.

It has been shown here in the forums that the squeaky wheel gets the Development, captains as a group sit around and take it meekly. Hey - my survivability is good - doesnt matter that I don't hit very hard. Hey I can't heal for squat, but its ok cuz I can still dps while healing. Why should I even care if I dps or heal the real reason I exist is to buff the group and go on /follow? When they decide to nerf Telling Mark or Oathbreakers I expect you guys will just roll over and say "yah those _were_ too good - they shoulda been nerfed a long time ago, but fortunately they gave us that awesome buff of 100icmr to our shield bro so its all good."
    Slippery Slope Argument/hyperbole FTL.

Or know-it-alls who havent even experienced the content.

Or know-it-alls who havent even experienced the content.
    Yeah...because I leveled my 4 65's and 64 solely with skirmishes...

From the quality of your analysis I assumed you bought your 65s.

May I ask why everyone gets defensive when people mention more dps? Minstrels and Guardians complained about low dps for the first year and people fought that saying they had specific roles and dps boost would step on toes, etc. Now look at where they are.

All it did was give them more options and builds and made solo/moors that much more enjoyable.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000020799/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast