We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Split up crafting over alt to guild each profession?

Just thinking out loud again, maybe it's a nice topic here.

I still have my main tailor and the only metalsmith in my Hunter. My Warden is both my main weaponsmith and my only woodworker. They are mid-game and I have a couple hundred rich iron ingots to either pump into metalsmith proficiency or to raise a new weaponsmith. Obviously as long as these people are double-booked there is only one guild for each and I miss out on two guilded professions. The main low-level supporters are a Guardian explorer and a Burglar that was supposed to be switched to historian anyway. There's also a mid-level Champ tinker only doing jewelery.

So, the question:

Will I switch the Hunter from armourer to explorer and pass the metalsmith duties off to the Guardian (which would be switched from explorer to armourer)? And drop weaponsmithing from my armsman Warden and pass it into the new historian?

In a second account I did keep things separately with a just-Scholar and a just-Cook. But now I face the problem of killing a level 40 boar with a level 15 Lore-Master. You cooks know what I speak of. Tempted to raise a cook in the mid-game Champ tinker instead and forget about guilds. Or get some bodyguards from my kin and take on the boar. It's really not clear what the best way to go here is.

Pro split:
    • Guilds.
    • Reasons to level more characters.
    • Avoid running around between superiour workbench and superiour forge.
    • Less bag space pressure.
    • Less logistics shuffling stuff around overall. Although there are things that become more complicated. The warden armsman that does only woodworking collects metals and passes them to the historian weaponsmith, and in turn the warden's woodworking needs wood from the explorer/tailor hunter, which is all a little backwards.

Pro consolidation (even moving cook to the experienced champ):
    • Some people don't like the guild system anyway.
    • Some people think woodworking and armour making are useless at end-game anyway.
    • What do I know how long I play this game? I might only have time to raise 3-4 toons very high (which is quite a lot already).

I would be particularly interested to hear about those end-game aspects since I haven't been there.

Re: Split up crafting over alt to guild each profession?

Personally i see it more as a reputation roadblock.

Currently i am capped (kindred) with Weaponsmith, Jewler, Woodworker and Tailor guilds. I have tradeskills capped in Scribe, Cook, farming and Prospecting (in many cases more than once) I'm working on Metalsmith guild atm (rep and skill with my captian)

Getting alts to kindred is not hard, so basically you can make anything in any tier and all the guild patterns (assuming you have a higer level to supply them) the only things you cant make are reputation based items.

For example my Weaponsmith and Tailor are level 17 and 22, so no Loth patterns and no mirkwood patterns. Thats the only draw back of low level alt crafters. Its not the kindred with the guild .. thats easy enough .. its not being high enough in rep to buy the later patterns (they are all BoA so you cant trade 'em off)

Basically you need to decide which of the end game rep patterns you really cant live without and make sure that tradeskill is covered on your main, the other tradeskills you'll be able to make 99% of the items (including SA reforges as they are guild patterns) and only miss out on a few end game rep patterns.

Bare in mind .. that the Loth patterns for example require Gala rep and kindred with the crafting guild .. so its pretty much a 1 tradeskill per character deal. Unless your willing to level 7 characters to 65, one in each different crafting guild .. you will be missing some patterns. Which are most important to you is the only real question.

Enjoy.

They do not need to all be level 65 or level 65 at all. (True you will not be able to make certain rep reward recipes.) My 53 guardian is SM cook and kindred to Cook's guild. I have each of the crafts and guilds covered to max by one of my characters. Problem with being 53 and a SM cook is you have 2 less bank chests!

Storage is a big problem. All my toons have as much bank as they can have and I have a deluxe house with 2 chests. Half of your time is deciding what to keep and what to dispose.

Cook is the worst. Especially if you want to farm as well!
    Scholar is second worst if you want to keep more than one tier's worth (I usually have 4,5,6 mats)
    Varying space annoyment for the metal users keeping 2 or 3 tiers worth of mats.

Tip: Buy vendor mats at housing area (own a house!). If your Kin house is in the same area, all the better.
    Last edited by Dotlbeme; Apr 15 2010 at 03:20 PM.
    [COLOR=#ffff00]''[I]A man[/I] of rare [I]perception[/I]. In fact [he] had such rare [I]perceptions[/I] they amounted to hallucinations.'' [I]Walt Kelly
    [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6]
    Dottiel,[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] Kinship(s): [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]There is no Fifth Star[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Meneldor)[/COLOR]; [COLOR=#00ff00]Fifth Star Vagabonds[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Riddermark)[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    Tip: Buy vendor mats at housing area (own a house!). If your Kin house is in the same area, all the better.
    Kin house is no benefit unless you own a standard home. The discounts do not stack.

Second recall might be useful.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fia-Warden View Post
    Bare in mind .. that the Loth patterns for example require Gala rep and kindred with the crafting guild .. so its pretty much a 1 tradeskill per character deal. Unless your willing to level 7 characters to 65, one in each different crafting guild .. you will be missing some patterns. Which are most important to you is the only real question.
    While there are the Galadhrim Rep and Kindred Guild recipes, you also can buy non-kindred recipes for branches. Most of these recipes are one-shot use only, but this is not the case for Scholars and Cooks. You only need to buy the brach recipe and you can make all the potions/food you want.

My Tinker is kindred with Jeweler's guild and still makes both the Rations (my personal favorite) and Waybread VERY often. The same can be said of any Historian kindred with Weaponsmith. If you don't mind grinding branches for one-shot recipes, you can get all of the recipes with even fewer 65s.
    [size=2][u][url="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328837-Sauron-vs.-Tom-Bombadil"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] ♪♫[/color][COLOR="DarkOrange"]A fun what-if video I hope lightens your day[/color][COLOR="Red"]♫♪[/color][/size]

The house rebate isn't all that useful in practice.

The problem is that forward-storing all those ingredients just wipes out too much bag space. And there is no housing close to the superiour oven in the Shire.

I have a house but I generally only use it when brute-force leveling a character's craft in one rush. I generally cook guild stuff and food for actual consumption by buying directly at the (not discounted) vendor at the oven.

Don't get me wrong: of course a madness of running between vault and vendor in the housing area with one character and between vault and oven with another does save you money. But the savings are not very big and it costs a lot of time, either in shuffling or in bag space management. Just going into the barrow-downs for a hour beating up mobs that drop 2 silver each will make you more money in the same time. And the house is expensive and costs upkeep, a barrow-downs run doesn't.