We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    3 Harrow Road, Clapfoot Homestead, The Shire

Re: Who In Their Right Mind

I noticed this when we were testing on Bullroarer. I was hoping that they would either burn longer, give a slight bonus to trail food crit chances, or heck, even burn a different color or something...ANYTHING. But alas, no. The rowan and the mallorn are equally dull and provide a uniform warmth for cooking. The only difference is the potential cost per unit to make. And for many, it appears that's a non-issue as well.

It doesn't really impact me at all. First off, all my homes are in the Shire. I run back and forth countless times on all my alts, most of whom are explorers who can harvest the rowan that is constantly growing between MD and the Shire homestead. Secondly, on the occasion that my cook needs to whip up some trail grub, he need only ride a little ways up the road to Waymeet where there's any number of perpetual campfires to utilize. And if push actually came to shove, I could 2-box and have my 2nd hunter pop in and drop campfires wherever I wanted them, and it wouldn't cost me a single copper.

So to me, it was a missed opportunity on Turbine's part, but one that doesn't really have an impact whatsoever on my play-style. So...meh.
    Weeeeeeee're baaaaaaack! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Beldacar View Post
    ...Believe me, I'm in favor of options. But they should be meaningful options. I've spent enough hours of my life on my Supreme Master Cook to deduce that this change doesn't provide any sort of meaningful options for the vast majority of Cooks....
    Thank you for stating it better than I did.

It's an utter waste of time, talent and materials.

NO ONE was asking for this, yet they wasted what many here vigorously defend as 'precious man hours' of developer time, (usually when it's something they don't agree with), coming up with something utterly stupid, that NO ONE WANTED OR ASKED FOR.

And they did it in the LOWEST FORM OF USE possible with absolutely no added benefit, no increased chance of crit, no longer burn time, no increased value whatsoever.

What the heck.

They cry to us that they can't waste time on things, meaningful things to many of the populace of the game, that they don't think is of benefit to greatest number, the 'most bang for the buck', and then they spit this out at us?

Someone needs a bout with the thinking club, upside the head, repeatedly, and with gusto.
    Last edited by Beloth; Mar 04 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    Well, this is useless.

It's called OPTIONS. Since when is having more options for how to go about mundane tasks a bad thing? You're saying they should have avoided this in order to do... what exactly?

Not everything in LOTRO is about minmaxing your cost ratio. Sometimes a player is in Lorien and just doesn't want to take the time to run all the way back to the Shire to get a couple pieces of wood, or spend exorbitant amounts of money on AH prices. So now, instead, they can walk 30 meters, grab a wood node, make a fire. Done and done.

That's a bad thing? That's hard? You're seriously going to complain about things like this, advocating we strip away all the fluff and new crafting and various retouch programming just so the grand sum of that time can produce... what exactly? One more instance?

By that logic, we shouldn't have housing, or cosmetics, or mustering horns, or festivals. Heck, anything that isn't an instance or raid should be stripped away, because all it's doing is taking up resources that could be put towards reducing lag and improving performance in places like the Moors!

Come on now. There are many facts to Middle Earth. Not everything involves bashing Orc #235082 over the head.
    [center][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/imarichan/LOTRO/fellowship-minisig.jpg~original[/IMG]
    [i]"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin[/i]
    [size=0][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=304223]Mirkwood[/url] • [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?415841]Isengard[/url] • [url=http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php]LOTRO-Wiki[/url][/size][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Beloth View Post
    Your farmer doesn't go to the Shire to raise crops?

Come on Yula, That's the ONLY PLACE you can raise crops in this game!
    No it isn't.

Bottom line.

Waymeet campfires are free. No costs, unlimited use, 20 seconds from Michel Delving and swift travel stablemaster. Add to this the availability of superior ovens in MD.

My cook bought the recipes, but I'm not sure why. I have hardly made any campfire kits in quite a while.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Garamond"]Ulhar DuDenorial,Champion[/FONT]-[FONT="Century Gothic"]Mustrum Drinksalot,Loremaster[/FONT]-[FONT="Arial Black"]Glossi Whitebeard,Minstrel[/FONT]-[FONT="Tahoma"]Hagnar Hardash,Hunter[/FONT]-[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Reikoswarve Pepperoni,Captain[/FONT]-[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Harryborn Aching,Burglar[/FONT] [/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000013a6e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I noticed that the're strong spirits and ales and beer and wines... in the game. cooks could distill a flammable fluid ...err.. lighter type possibly ?

Are kindling in every area of the game i.e. grasses, stumps, branches, hurons, bushes, small rocks, squiurrel tails , rabbits/hares, coal, hobbit foot fur, it's all over the place ... as any seasoned adventurer would notice. Just need a Bic or zippo away from setting the world on fire Surprised there's not wildfire alerts from untended campfires or errant pipeweed tossed out on the main roads.

Just saying, why the need to carry logs around ? or kindling
    Last edited by Bulstrode; Mar 04 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry2 View Post
    Bottom line.

Waymeet campfires are free. No costs, unlimited use, 20 seconds from Michel Delving and swift travel stablemaster. Add to this the availability of superior ovens in MD.

My cook bought the recipes, but I'm not sure why. I have hardly made any campfire kits in quite a while.
    I didn't think anyone used crafted campfires.

I pretty much do what I've quoted above (and yeah, I buy the recipes even though I don't use them too). My house is in the Shire, so I usually go to my neighborhood and buy mats and grab mats out of storage, ride my horse to the Waymeet campfire, and go AFK for about half an hour while cooking trail food (while periodically checking things). After that I usually ride to Michel Delving to use the superior oven for whatever cooking I have left (if I have any left).

Because I would have to buy wood on the AH since I can't gather it, using any campfire kit would cost me too much money--especially since the Waymeet one is free and lasts forever and and that's aside from the fact that I am already in the Shire when I start any cooking.

I suppose it's nice to have the option to build a campfire anywhere you are in case you want to quickly craft something. It would be nice if those higher end woods created longer fires I guess--although that still wouldn't motivate me to use them over free fires.
    Last edited by Jilla; Mar 04 2010 at 08:05 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!

Quote Originally Posted by azden View Post
    I love the change. Now I can make campfires from any wood I can salvage, rather than have to farm with an alt, or pay a rediculous price for rowan, if any is even available.

I love the change! thanks turbine
    This. Was annoying having to run back to the T1 zones to gather Rowan when I have stacks of higher tier wood I am just vendoring.
    WTB Goblin Class! Will BUY TP to do so!!! (hint to Turbine!)
    Mangey <Agony> Semi-Ret 12-07/Milgwn NS Ret
    [FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=3][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Kinich-Ahau / Kukulcan in 2012![/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

The bottom line is that trail food in this game doesn't do a good job of simulating food that's made while you're "on the road". There is no benefit to to making tea in the middle of your journey, versus just making it all ahead of time before you leave. In order for trail food to really simulate food made on the trail, and for crafted campfires to actually be useful, there needs to be some benefit to not making it all days ahead of time in Waymeet.

Give trail food an extra buff that only lasts for 1-2 hours after it's crafted. Then crafted campfires suddenly become useful and people might actually make food "on the trail".

Quote Originally Posted by azden View Post
    I love the change. Now I can make campfires from any wood I can salvage, rather than have to farm with an alt, or pay a rediculous price for rowan, if any is even available.

I love the change! thanks turbine
    Most wholeheartily agree! I always found it strange that all wood dropped kindling materials but you could only use Rowan to complete the kit.

On the other side, I did not really understand the moving it from cook to woodworker. Yes, it makes sense given that it's wood. But it takes a forester to gather the wood and since it's not treated there is not need for a woodworker to do anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzi View Post
    It's called OPTIONS. Since when is having more options for how to go about mundane tasks a bad thing? You're saying they should have avoided this in order to do... what exactly?

Not everything in LOTRO is about minmaxing your cost ratio. Sometimes a player is in Lorien and just doesn't want to take the time to run all the way back to the Shire to get a couple pieces of wood, or spend exorbitant amounts of money on AH prices. So now, instead, they can walk 30 meters, grab a wood node, make a fire. Done and done.

That's a bad thing? That's hard? You're seriously going to complain about things like this, advocating we strip away all the fluff and new crafting and various retouch programming just so the grand sum of that time can produce... what exactly? One more instance?

By that logic, we shouldn't have housing, or cosmetics, or mustering horns, or festivals. Heck, anything that isn't an instance or raid should be stripped away, because all it's doing is taking up resources that could be put towards reducing lag and improving performance in places like the Moors!

Come on now. There are many facts to Middle Earth. Not everything involves bashing Orc #235082 over the head.
    Well, I'd rather they'd invested that development time into just about anything other than options that are going to be underutilized. Yes, this is the exact same argument people have been throwing at me regarding the proposed XP throttle. The difference is, for the last three years players have been clamoring for a way to "slam on the brakes" regarding levelling speed; as far as I know, there has never been a similar campaign asking for campfire materials made from higher tier woods.

Even assuming that the developer effort (and QA effort) was going to be spent on something crafting-related anyway, there are probably a dozen crafting-related things I'd rather have seen instead.

This is a change that only benefits high-level Cooks who don't have lower-level Explorer alts and don't plan far enough ahead to make sufficient supplies in advance and don't base their operations in the Shire (or that location in Lothlorien that apparently has a Superior Oven and a Campfire). I can't even begin to imagine what a tiny percentage of the player base that could encompass. Fortunately, Turbine can just run metrics to see just how many of these fancy campfire materials actually get made.

Like I said before, I'm generally in favor of options being added. But they need to be meaningful options. I simply don't believe these options meet that standard....
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    [SIZE="0"]Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.[/SIZE]

Well, I'd rather they'd invested that development time into just about anything other than options that are going to be underutilized. Yes, this is the exact same argument people have been throwing at me regarding the proposed XP throttle. The difference is, for the last three years players have been clamoring for a way to "slam on the brakes" regarding levelling speed; as far as I know, there has never been a similar campaign asking for campfire materials made from higher tier woods.
    I don't think the new campfire materials are going to be used very much, but the amount of developer time required for the two things you're comparing is *leagues* different. New campfire recipes is like "copy, paste, replace Rowan w/Yew, done". Adding a new xp throttle feature is like hundreds of man hours of investigation, planning, development, and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by brasswire12 View Post
    I don't think the new campfire materials are going to be used very much, but the amount of developer time required for the two things you're comparing is *leagues* different. New campfire recipes is like "copy, paste, replace Rowan w/Yew, done". Adding a new xp throttle feature is like hundreds of man hours of investigation, planning, development, and testing.
    This.

Part of my point was that it's a fairly trivial addition that adds more options and potential convenience. Because no, not everyone has a low level alt running around in the starter regions, or bases themselves out of the Shire. Being able to toss a few spare pieces of wood into a campfire for cooking is a nice option.

An option that doesn't require engineering a whole new systems. An option that doesn't require new land or instances. An option that doesn't require new mobs. An option that doesn't require balance checking. An option that doesn't necessarily even require any new art.

To complain that putting this in has somehow delayed or outright denied the addition of any other new content is... honestly just short-sighted. At this point you're starting to sound more like a spoiled child whining because he hasn't gotten a new shiny toy five minutes after the last one, and railing against anything and everything in the process.
    [center][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/imarichan/LOTRO/fellowship-minisig.jpg~original[/IMG]
    [i]"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin[/i]
    [size=0][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=304223]Mirkwood[/url] • [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?415841]Isengard[/url] • [url=http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php]LOTRO-Wiki[/url][/size][/center]

Sometimes a player is in Lorien and just doesn't want to take the time to run all the way back to the Shire to get a couple pieces of wood, or spend exorbitant amounts of money on AH prices. So now, instead, they can walk 30 meters, grab a wood node, make a fire. Done and done.
    Not if the player is a cook. That's kinda the point. Cooks are either tinkers or yeoman. Neither of these professions can gather wood.

This change would have made sense back in the old SoA days when campfire materials was a forester (or maybe woodworker) recipe.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000040133/01008/signature.png]Ardeth[/charsig]
    [CENTER][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]Ardeth --75 minstrel; Mirianor--75 RK; Philippa--75 captain;[/CENTER][CENTER]Brynna--68 burg; Ellaril--72 hunter; Irulan--67 loremaster[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

It's called OPTIONS. Since when is having more options for how to go about mundane tasks a bad thing? You're saying they should have avoided this in order to do... what exactly?...
    Maybe, oh, I don't know, SOMETHING THE PLAYERS HAVE ASKED FOR, TIME AND AGAIN?

Instead of something so nebulously bizarre, that no one has ever complained about, or asked for it?

Is that so hard to figure out?

This is a waste of time, and unsupported by any request post, or thread, on any of the last ten years of forums concerning this game.

If you don't have a Woodworker Alt that can go to the Shire to do your own harvesting, or you're just too lazy, then suffer the AH prices, you have no sympathy from me.

I do my own chores.
    Well, this is useless.

Well, I wondered where this thread went.

I see you've moved it to 'Crafting' where no one ever goes, good job of hiding your flaws, again.

It never ceases to astound me.
    Well, this is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloth View Post
    Well, I wondered where this thread went.

I see you've moved it to 'Crafting' where no one ever goes, good job of hiding your flaws, again.

It never ceases to astound me.
    Us crafters do stop by We even post!

I've got 3 SM's,, all kindred in guilds, and 2 others between artisan and expert. One newbie alt just decided to be a yeoman, lol. And since I'm a lifetimer, and have been hear since open beta, I've been crafting since almost day 1.

To answer the subject of the transfer of the original recipe from woodworkers to cooks, I always felt was done to increase the interdependency of crafting which was being entwined at that time. There's been no evidence as far as I know that really pointed at anything else. Being a consumable item, and such a base recipe at apprentice level, gave beginning crafters something to help balance the cost of crafting to gain experience.

Was this probably an easy addon, requiring little to no effort on the part of Dev's, I'd have to say yes. It seems so, but have to say, that my opinion on that is very very limited in actual fact, sadly.

As our levels get higher, and the distance to max out crafters grows, these recipes might be intended as crafting xp boosters, after all, there may have been a huge glut on wood on the servers, and Turbine saw more wood going to vendors than being sold or used. Sometimes we forget that what may seem meaningless in a way to someone who has already finished the race and reached the end, that those behind us might need a helping hand.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Garamond"]Ulhar DuDenorial,Champion[/FONT]-[FONT="Century Gothic"]Mustrum Drinksalot,Loremaster[/FONT]-[FONT="Arial Black"]Glossi Whitebeard,Minstrel[/FONT]-[FONT="Tahoma"]Hagnar Hardash,Hunter[/FONT]-[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Reikoswarve Pepperoni,Captain[/FONT]-[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Harryborn Aching,Burglar[/FONT] [/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000013a6e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by brasswire12 View Post
    Every change requires QA time to test, even "trivial" changes. Even if it only took thirty minutes to implement and thirty minutes to test, that's still an hour of developer time that could have been spent on something that will actually get used.

*shrug*

It's done now. Hopefully they won't waste too much time on similar things in the future. Change just for the sake of change is generally pointless or, as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...."
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    [SIZE="0"]Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.[/SIZE]

One other use of these would be to get crafting xp, kinda expensive but you could burn up some "useless" wood that way.

While I agree with the OP I must caution him/her on pursuing this train of thought. Usually you do not get the simplification or "right mind thinking" you are hoping for.

What you usually end up getting is something more like each tiers woods will now only campfire cook the proper tiers food.

No one wants that type of setup.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]FDR: Hold on, boys! I, for one, would like to hear what the blood-spattered young lady has to say.
    Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds2 View Post
    While I agree with the OP I must caution him/her on pursuing this train of thought. Usually you do not get the simplification or "right mind thinking" you are hoping for.

What you usually end up getting is something more like each tiers woods will now only campfire cook the proper tiers food.

No one wants that type of setup.
    You are probably right, any time they see someone having fun, they rush to stamp it out.
    Well, this is useless.

I sure would like to see a wee bit more time spent by the devs to increase the duration of the campifres with the higher level wood.

Well, I'd rather they'd invested that development time into just about anything other than options that are going to be underutilized.
    Even assuming that the developer effort (and QA effort) was going to be spent on something crafting-related anyway, there are probably a dozen crafting-related things I'd rather have seen instead.
    For all we know, this could have been done by an intern or prospective new hire to see how well they perform.

This could have even been a side-effect of something else they have planned and are prepping for.

This outrage over such a simple thing is really silly.
    [CENTER][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=Gray]This has been a public harassment announcement®[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Gray] Courtesy of The Ministry of Creative Anarchy - Public Harassment Office[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[/CENTER]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2