We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who In Their Right Mind

Would use Mallorn, or Black Ash, or Lebethron, or Yew or even Ash for that matter, TO MAKE Campfire Materials?

When, it gives NO BENEFIT to either Longevity of the Flame, or chance of Critical Success?

NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER for that matter!

Even if you were wont to simply Vendor Trash the items-

Two Sticks of Ash = 1.32 Silver Vendor Value
    One Kindling Material = 40 Copper Vendor Value

Makes One Campfire Material = 50 Copper Vendor Value
    Burn time 2 minutes
    Critical Success Chance - 5% Basic + Tools Equipped

It gets worse the further up you go, all the way to ~

Two Sticks of Mallorn = 4.84 Silver Vendor Value
    One Kindling Material = 40 Copper Vendor Value

Makes One Campfire Materials = 50 Copper Vendor Value
    Burn time 2 minutes
    Critical Success Chance - 5% Basic + Tools Equipped

I think this is a case of '...we're supposed to be improving the lot of Cooks here, FIND SOMETHING to give them, I don't care what!'
    Well, this is useless.

Re: Who In Their Right Mind

lol you aren't pulling our chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Bannee View Post
    lol you aren't pulling our chain?
    Unfortunately he is 100% correct

What else are you going to do with the wood besides vendor it?

I made my hunter a cook. There are black marks all over the paving stones in Tant's housing community. She is always getting the veggies out of shared storage from the family farmer. Buying the mats from the vendor. in the next booth. Cooks like crazy over her own hunter campfires.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

About what?

This latest patch included the new ability to make Campfire mats out of five new woods, Ash, Yew, Lebethron, Black Ash and Mallorn.

The new campfires offer no improvements over the standard Rowan Campfire Materials.

So, I ask you, who in their right mind would do such a thing, when even basic vendor trash value is so much higher than the campfire value?

And no benefit whatsoever, is gained by sending the higher value woods up in smoke, other than to say "Hey! I made a fire!"

Have they REALLY given up their imaginations to the point of thinking this is a good idea?
    Last edited by Beloth; Mar 04 2010 at 12:13 AM.
    Well, this is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloth View Post
    And no benefit whatsoever, is gained by sending the higher value woods up in smoke, other than to say "Hey! I made a fire!"
    It is very useful. I have no characters that wander in tier 1 areas any more. If I wanted to make a Rowan campfire to cook with (thank goodness I do not have to do this) - I would have to buy the wood on the auction hall with the money I make by selling the higher tier woods that I find.

I see players doing all their trail food in Michel Delving using campfire kits. I make hunter campfires for them so they do not have to consume their kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It is very useful. I have no characters that wander in tier 1 areas any more...
    Your farmer doesn't go to the Shire to raise crops?

Come on Yula, That's the ONLY PLACE you can raise crops in this game!

The Bindbole Woods are right over the hill from the Superior Fields
    Well, this is useless.

I love the change. Now I can make campfires from any wood I can salvage, rather than have to farm with an alt, or pay a rediculous price for rowan, if any is even available.

I love the change! thanks turbine
    [color=#cc1c1c] 7Stlkr 7Rvr 6Wvr 5BA 4WL 3Dflr[/color]
    Landroval.
    [color=#4f4fff]73Hntr 82Burg 84Capt 74Wrd 53Grd 54Chmp 51Min 21Lm 20Rk. [/color]

How about this for a reason why to use the new recipes:

You don't have to go all the way back to the starter areas to get wood for campfires. You need wood, you get wood from the area you're in, and you make your campfires. Simple enough for me!

Furthermore, I would suppose that not making the campfires any different from one another could be a problem for some, but maybe (just maybe) it was done to keep people from competing for wood nodes. That would contribute to more bad behavior to police, and to prevent a hard shift to the economy in-game at the AH.

My $.02
    [COLOR=Red]Khalfani - 100 Loremaster R7[/COLOR] / [COLOR=DarkGreen]Keon - 85 Captain R4[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Sienna]Khalvin - 76 Hunter R6[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Purple]Khalonidas - 75 Warden R4[/COLOR] / [COLOR=SeaGreen]Kayo - 100 Burg R6[/COLOR] / [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Khallision - 75 Guardian R3[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Plum]Khalosi - 100 RK Rank 7[/COLOR] [/COLOR]/ Khallous - 100 Champ[COLOR=YellowGreen]/ Khalamine - 61 Minstrel/ [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]Khodiak - 100 Beorning[/COLOR]

Your farmer doesn't go to the Shire to raise crops?

Come on Yula, That's the ONLY PLACE you can raise crops in this game!

The Bindbole Woods are right over the hill from the Superior Fields

That is incorrect. You can farm in Lorien as well.
    [COLOR=Red]Khalfani - 100 Loremaster R7[/COLOR] / [COLOR=DarkGreen]Keon - 85 Captain R4[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Sienna]Khalvin - 76 Hunter R6[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Purple]Khalonidas - 75 Warden R4[/COLOR] / [COLOR=SeaGreen]Kayo - 100 Burg R6[/COLOR] / [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Khallision - 75 Guardian R3[/COLOR] / [COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Plum]Khalosi - 100 RK Rank 7[/COLOR] [/COLOR]/ Khallous - 100 Champ[COLOR=YellowGreen]/ Khalamine - 61 Minstrel/ [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]Khodiak - 100 Beorning[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by erikthe10man View Post
    ...it was done to keep people from competing for wood nodes. That would contribute to more bad behavior to police, and to prevent a hard shift to the economy in-game at the AH.

My $.02
    The Game is three years old now.
    Where are the screaming hoards here or ingame fighting over wood nodes?
    Well, this is useless.

Your farmer doesn't go to the Shire to raise crops
    Where would he get the wood? He recalls to Michel Delving being a hobbit. Goes up the fields in Michel Delving. There is no Rowan on the way. Or he takes a pony to Hobbiton. There is no Rowan between the stable and the field.

Sure Mango is 60, I could get him on his pony ride around the shire looking for Rowan. I could do that Foros who is 65. Why??? That is a waste of valuable game play time riding around the Shire looking for wood.

In Mango's case, I will send him somewhere to work on deeds, do quests, unlock reputation gated swift travel routes. While doing that - I see no Rowan. I finished the starter zones. Foros is the same way.

The problem I can see is that there are no vocations that include both forester and cook.

Quote Originally Posted by zackhammer View Post
    The problem I can see is that there are no vocations that include both forester and cook.
    Yeah I never liked the change to campfire kits. Originally they were woodworker recipes. Mango would farm - gather wood - make bows and stuff. Turbine changed the campfire kits to a cook recipe. My cook is a Tinker. She does not farm. Does not harvest wood. Instead she gathers ore and makes jewelery. Depends on a the family farmers and foresters to gather the materials for cooking.

The Game is three years old now.
    Where are the screaming hoards here or ingame fighting over wood nodes?
    Waitaminnit! If you're going to quote somebody, quote exactly what was stated!

Furthermore, I would suppose that not making the campfires any different from one another could be a problem for some, but maybe (just maybe) it was done to keep people from competing for wood nodes. That would contribute to more bad behavior to police, and to prevent a hard shift to the economy in-game at the AH.

My $.02
    Omitting the bold completely changes what the context of the sentence was. I made that statement to attempt a theoretical guess as to why there are NO differences in the quality of the campfires.

You're making much ado about absolutely nothing as far as this change goes. There is ZERO detriment to the game in this change. In fact, it's a welcome change, in my opinion. Of all the things to saber rattle about, this would be on the lowest end of the spectrum - especially in comparison to the tact resist changes.

Waitaminnit! If you're going to quote somebody, quote exactly what was stated!

Omitting the bold completely changes what the context of the sentence was. I made that statement to attempt a theoretical guess as to why there are NO differences in the quality of the campfires.

You're making much ado about absolutely nothing as far as this change goes. There is ZERO detriment to the game in this change. In fact, it's a welcome change, in my opinion. Of all the things to saber rattle about, this would be on the lowest end of the spectrum - especially in comparison to the tact resist changes.
    Assuming this change didn't take much "resources" to do. I mean right off hand I can't recall a seriously complaint about campfires on this forum period, much less not being able to make campfires from the higher tier wood.

So I mean if it took like 5 minutes to make these changes then sure, throw it in there for the heck of it. If it actually took some time/resources to do then I have to agree with the original poster. Its a waste, if nothing more than a waste of developer resources. Maybe spend that time/resources getting us the ability to mail more than one item at a time in the mail. It didn't take Mythic long to correct that for us in Warhammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Where would he get the wood? He recalls to Michel Delving being a hobbit. Goes up the fields in Michel Delving. There is no Rowan on the way. Or he takes a pony to Hobbiton. There is no Rowan between the stable and the field.

Sure Mango is 60, I could get him on his pony ride around the shire looking for Rowan. I could do that Foros who is 65. Why??? That is a waste of valuable game play time riding around the Shire looking for wood.

In Mango's case, I will send him somewhere to work on deeds, do quests, unlock reputation gated swift travel routes. While doing that - I see no Rowan. I finished the starter zones. Foros is the same way.
    In twenty minutes or less I can collect enough wood in the Binbole Woods TO MAKE 50 Campfires!

That is enough to pay for anyone's at any level's time, even if they only AH half of them.

And come on Yula, when have you ever ridden from MD to Hobbiton and NOT seen at least ten Rowan nodes?
    Well, this is useless.

I have to be honest, I have never, EVER made even one campfire to cook with. Not ever.

If I'm cooking, I'm at MD Superior Oven, and the Waymeet campfire is like a 30 second horse ride away.

Therefore, I just ride my horse to Waymeet, and cook there.

I agree with the OP though, there should definitely have been duration increases or some other benefit added to the higher level wood recipes.

I can sort of see the convenience factor of using different woods, but my cook cannot gather wood anyway, so what's the difference between logging onto my Explorer and going to a newbie area to gather Rowan, or going to a higher level zone to gather wood?

Gathering is gathering, it's all the same to me, therefore I would never burn up valuable wood for a cooking fire, if I even used cooking fires.

The bottom line is, higher level/more valuable materials should provide enhanced benefits. If that were the case, maybe even I would choose to make a campfire to cook with once in a while.

That is incorrect. You can farm in Lorien as well.
    You are right, I stand corrected.

(and I'm amazed, I've discovered something I didn't know, when did they add this?)

However,

1. You must be able get through Moria

2. You must be able to enter Lorien

3. You must be able to fight your way past the lvl 59 and 60 mobs in any or all of those places.

The Shire is available to everyone, at any level, and it is a Hunter Port destination for the game standard Hunter/Woodworker combo.
    Well, this is useless.

You are right, I stand corrected.

(and I'm amazed, I've discovered something I didn't know, when did they add this?)

However,

1. You must be able get through Moria

2. You must be able to enter Lorien

3. You must be able to fight your way past the lvl 59 and 60 mobs in any or all of those places.

The Shire is available to everyone, at any level, and it is a Hunter Port destination for the game standard Hunter/Woodworker combo.
    Well, unless they burned it, there's farming fields in Bree too (or what ever one of those dinkie towns near bree).

Anyway, not sure how to answer your orig question. They ah... "improved" a recipe that they never really knew what to do it (for a little historical back ground, this wasn't even a cooking recipe originally). Moving it to cooking even then did not make sense, as one other posted pointed out, no cook can harvest wood.

I've SMed cooking 2x. I've spent time goofing off making 1 - 2G in a 8 hour time span making blackberry pie when they needed a camp fire to make. I think I Crafted a camp fire Maybe 3 times since Jan'07.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanCarlo View Post
    Well, unless they burned it, there's farming fields in Bree too (or what ever one of those dinkie towns near bree).

Anyway, not sure how to answer your orig question. They ah... "improved" a recipe that they never really knew what to do it (for a little historical back ground, this wasn't even a cooking recipe originally). Moving it to cooking even then did not make sense, as one other posted pointed out, no cook can harvest wood.

I've SMed cooking 2x. I've spent time goofing off making 1 - 2G in a 8 hour time span making blackberry pie when they needed a camp fire to make. I think I Crafted a camp fire Maybe 3 times since Jan'07.
    The fields in Breeland are not Superior Farm Fields, but you are right, they are there.

Care to make some Stuffed Cabbages?
    Well, this is useless.

In twenty minutes or less I can collect enough wood in the Binbole Woods TO MAKE 50 Campfires!

That is enough to pay for anyone's at any level's time, even if they only AH half of them.

And come on Yula, when have you ever ridden from MD to Hobbiton and NOT seen at least ten Rowan nodes?
    The point has nothing to do with it only takes 20 mins to go get this. The point is Turbine has now given OPTIONS to use whatever wood you want. I always thought it was silly that only Rowan wood could be used for campfires. They did not take ANYTHING away from you. If you want to go get enough Rowan wood in 20 mins to make 50 campfires, go ahead. They did not stop you. All they have done is given another option for someone that does not want to do it your way. More options is not a bad thing in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by zackhammer View Post
    Indeed. I assume the change was made so cooks could collect wood no matter where in the game they were questing. But I have 2 cooks -- one's a tinker and the other's a yeoman. Neither of them can gather wood. And neither is a hunter, so they can't start a hunter campfire to cook trail food. So the purpose of the change eludes me.

I DO make campfires in MD instead of riding a slow horse to the nearest campfire (Waymeet, I believe), but campfires are very annoying because of the short duration. There's a campfire in the Vineyards of Lorien near the superior oven, but that only works for cooks who have hit level 60 or so and gained enough Lothlorien rep.

Personally I think we should be able to make ALL food in an oven, with the campfire option available as exactly that: an option for those who wish to carry ingredients for some meals with them and cook on the road.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000040133/01008/signature.png]Ardeth[/charsig]
    [CENTER][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]Ardeth --75 minstrel; Mirianor--75 RK; Philippa--75 captain;[/CENTER][CENTER]Brynna--68 burg; Ellaril--72 hunter; Irulan--67 loremaster[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

The fields in Breeland are not Superior Farm Fields, but you are right, they are there.

Care to make some Stuffed Cabbages?
    *shrug*
    Was just pointing out that there are other Fields outside the Shire or Lorien, since your orig comment was that farming fields, with no mention of Sup Fields, are only found in the Shire.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrMagic View Post
    The point has nothing to do with it only takes 20 mins to go get this. The point is Turbine has now given OPTIONS to use whatever wood you want. I always thought it was silly that only Rowan wood could be used for campfires. They did not take ANYTHING away from you. If you want to go get enough Rowan wood in 20 mins to make 50 campfires, go ahead. They did not stop you. All they have done is given another option for someone that does not want to do it your way. More options is not a bad thing in this case...
    Technically, they did take something away: the developer time it took to make this utterly pointless change. That developer could have used that time to start working on a mentoring system or an XP throttle (or, if the developer in question is locked into the crafting role, he or she could have started working on multi-output Weaponsmith recipes).

If I had to guess, Turbine has some bizarre idea that players are wandering the wilderness, realizing that they've somehow wasted valuable pack space picking up cooking ingredients, and stopping in the middle of nowhere to cook up a batch of red tea or a vegetable medley.

Let's face facts: the vast majority of Cooks use the Superior Ovens in Michel Delving; if they plan on making trail foods, they'll spend thirty seconds riding up the road to Waymeet to use the campfires there. The few who do actually cook in the wilderness already have to plan ahead and bring purchased ingredients: it's not a huge stretch to plan ahead and bring some campfire materials as well.

Believe me, I'm in favor of options. But they should be meaningful options. I've spent enough hours of my life on my Supreme Master Cook to deduce that this change doesn't provide any sort of meaningful options for the vast majority of Cooks....
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast